SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 4 Spoiler Discussion

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Statistically, they can't all be new. 'You've been here longer than ten days, you're a veteran, time to retire'

'Sporty' does fit her, but I thought it was an odd thing to say for a night on the town. I don't see any tennis courts or football pitches in the slums.

Incidentally, considering that there's designated Shinra employee housing on the plate, strange that there are some many people commuting from the slums.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Statistically, they can't all be new. 'You've been here longer than ten days, you're a veteran, time to retire'

'Sporty' does fit her, but I thought it was an odd thing to say for a night on the town. I don't see any tennis courts or football pitches in the slums.

Incidentally, considering that there's designated Shinra employee housing on the plate, strange that there are some many people commuting from the slums.

Maybe guys like the Middle Manager have a place like Aerith and Elmyra down there somewhere.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Maybe guys like the Middle Manager have a place like Aerith and Elmyra down there somewhere.
No, it's implied the Shinra middle manager and his family live on the plate, they just got stuck down in the slums due to the disruption of the train services due to the Reactor bombings,

Theo, I have been following the adventures of the Shinra Middle Manager very closely and I didn't pick up on that at all. When he arrives down in the slums that night, his family is waiting to greet him, his daughter says, "Welcome home daddy" or "welcome back, daddy"; he has friends down in the slums, and his junior associates who are also with him down in the slums talk about moving to the plate one day. He's back on the train commuting to work a couple of days later and his family is not with him. He's regular commuter between the slums and the plate.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I agree with your assessment, Lic. I'll see if I can find one of those exchanges with his family, but I instantly got the impression they were waiting for him there because that's where he would normally be heading.

You'd think that if they were forced down to the slums by the bombing they'd have something to say about how awful it is having to take refuge down there. His wife and daughter, at least, might be expected to comment on the smell, or the filth, or how scary it is to have the plate hanging over their heads. There's a couple standing not far away from them at the train station 'food court' who are worried the hotels in the slums will have bedbugs.

I could not find the old man who said his grandfather built Midgar. That line belongs to two little kids.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Theo, I have been following the adventures of the Shinra Middle Manager very closely and I didn't pick up on that at all. When he arrives down in the slums that night, his family is waiting to greet him, his daughter says, "Welcome home daddy" or "welcome back, daddy"; he has friends down in the slums, and his junior associates who are also with him down in the slums talk about moving to the plate one day. He's back on the train commuting to work a couple of days later and his family is not with him. He's regular commuter between the slums and the plate.
Hmmm, it's possible I am misremembering, but I could have sworn there was dialogue implying that, it might have been dialogue he had with his fellow employees instead of his family. If I have the time I will try to scour the dialogues he has as well.

Hi everyone - quick question re. Avalanche and Wutai.

is the alliance between Wutai and Avalanche a confirmed fact?

In-game, at least, it doesn't seem to be. There's a widespread rumour that HQ has made a deal with Wutai, and of course, President Shinra says they are going to frame Barret and Co as being in league with Wutai. But all this propaganda seems designed to inflame popular opinion against Wutai, and may have no basis in reality.

Having Godo supporting Avalanche would run counter to his characterisation in the OG, and would nullify Yuffie's OG motivations.
I wonder if the Remake is going to make her older and give her a bigger role as Avalanche's woman inside the Wutai establishment? Asking for all the materia in Midgar is absolutely the kind of thing she would do. She would also have no qualms about making promises she can't keep.

What does the Ultimania have to say about this alliance? Is it a confirmed fact, or just powerful rumour?

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
In the OG, the closest thing of any real substance to suggest a Wutai/Avalanche alliance is Yuffie's later affiliation with the group, ulterior motives (Materia theft) and rebellion against her father (who happens to be Wutai's leader) notwithstanding.

Aside from that, it's nothing more than Shinra propaganda to justify continuing the war with Wutai (since there was only a ceasefire and no peace treaty, they were legally still at war).

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Oh shit, that last one is really good :O
I know, right!? I really love it when you can capture moments like that, which happened "organically" and you couldn't have better recreated on purpose.
The fights are so sparkly :awesome::awesome::awesome: thank you for sharing~~
You're welcome! I'll keep uploading as I go through the chapters.
One thing about the sparkly fights, though: sometimes it's a little difficult to get a good picture as one of the visual effects is some kind of "blurry 3d ripple" when you land a heavy hit. You can see a bit of that on the image of Cloud's Cross-Slash against a Sweeper. So, while you want to show off some badass move, sometimes all you end up with is a blurry mess!

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I keep walking through the game, and wooooooow I feel as if I haven't watched all those countless let's plays, as if my brain just blocked those memories for my own sake, as if you have the knowledge of what's going to happen but you don't actually remember how it's going to happen. Wait...

Isn't that how Aerith feels the entire time? :wacky:

Anyway, the menu is incredibly beautiful, and the soundtrack is divine, and Jessie is a cutie, and the whole trio is carefully and lovingly designed and characterised. I thought I would write out all my observations in a structured and coherent way, but my emotions take over and I'm overwhelmed.

My attitude to Roche have changed drastically since last year. I used to be annoyed by his presence, and manner, and laughter, but spending time with part of the fan community on Discord and looking into some interviews with his VA Austin Lee Matthews helped me appreciate him more and eventually I like him so much that I wish there was more screen time shared with this wackadoodle :D A lot of fans believe him to be pansexual due to his demeanour and remarks, which seems to be true hahaha. He is free, he's passionate, he's kinky, and he's got a nice butt and I like him the way he is.

Spent a particular amount of time just kicking a football on the Sector 7 upper plate playground. I'm kinda glad that the devs didn't end up turning it into a mini game -- it would've broken both the pace and the mood of the events. A simple :triangle: interaction, however, would've been a sweet touch... Reminds me how Cloud kicked the ball in Costa Del Sol in the OG.

As soon as Jessie told Cloud to go wait round the corner, of course I ran into all the boxes and buckets at the back door because it was dark and I didn't see where I was going. That must have been too loud not to notice but I hope Missus Rasberry was too busy talking and she was probably used to cats making lots of noise at night anyway :mon:

I only have to complain that the game gets way too easy as soon as you get the grasp of the combat. The enemies desparately need more HP because fights just flash lightning speed before my eyes and I'm not satisfied. Looking forward to stronger bosses and the hard mode already!

Each time you completed the Training Ground you got a "Training Ground Bonus". Here's hoping this reward actually means something and that I accumulated this invisible score. If this bonus does nothing then this will be the most non-bonus bonus that ever non-bonus'd. Bogus Bonus.
I think the Training Ground Bonus may have been the extra 100 gil you got at the end of battle? The enemies themselves only gave a small amount of gil iirc but I was tempted to farm them because of the 100 gil awarded each time.

Yeah, I was confused by that mysterious bonus too, but figured I could farm a little gil. You get 10 or 20 gil per each enemy depending on how successfully you fought, and 100 gil additionally after the fight is over. Maybe you're paid more if you take zero damage, but I simply can't fight that well so far haha.

Last edited:

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I'm playing Intergrade, and I've got two new things to add.

First, mods are doing wonders for replayability. Giving the story a fresh look. It's like the same but different... but still the same... but DIFFERENT.

Second, I'm taking my time walking in the midnight slums and eavesdropping on some NPC dialogue.

Remember the OG when you come across a boy on the ground floor of the training center? I couldn't believe my eyes when I ran into him in the remake too on the training grounds above the weapon store. The dialogue is similar too, but this time around you can't give him any gil, because, well, you already have a place to stay.
The OG boy said:
You dried up old geez. You tired? Why don't you rest up on the third floor of my house? There's just one condition. You gotta give me some cash.
The Remake boy said:
Whoa... you look terrible, old man. What's wrong? The rat race got you down? You can take a load off at my place... but not for free. I gotta make a living too, you know.

стручок.jpg

And then, there are two women in front of the 7th Heaven, discussing some fashion ideas and annoying some neighbours. Do you think their dialogue is a reference to Tifa and Aerith's outfits? I sure do.
The women said:
"White is the way to go!"
"More like pink!"
"A classic black-and-white combination never goes out of fashion."
"But pink and red are like the go-to cute colors! And you'd like pink with red if you tried it!"
"What we need is a pair of models to dress up and settle this once and for all!"
The neighbours said:
"What the hell are those two arguing about?"
"Slum fashion. As if anyone gives a shit."
"If it's clean and fits..."
That reminds me of
Chapter 9 where Aerith asks Cloud at Madam M's what he thinks of her outfit, lol

fashion.jpg

Apart from that, it's really fascinating to see people gossiping about Don Corneo and the goons from Sector 6, or wondering if Avalanche are the good guys after all, or discussing the results of the bombing, or missing Johnny an awful lot. Or seeing people dancing to Hip Hop de Chocobo behind the bar. The slums are so full of life. It's a completely different world compared to the OG.

Top Bottom