SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 4 Spoiler Discussion

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
This was what I was hoping for with the remake. More stuff with Avalanche. I didn't want them dying later on to not have any impact on me, so this chapter was perfect. Really enjoyed Jessie's theme playing during them going to her parent's house. After finding out she was an actress at Gold Saucer, I wonder if we'll see posters or something there in the next episode (hopefully). She sure is pushy with Cloud though

I read that there are separate cells of Avalanche, so having them show up was really cool.

The mini bike battle with Roche was good. I like that it was a different kind of battle. He's not a character I really care about. He just seemed like someone tossed in to provide more "meat" to the game.

@Jairus I did not get the kiss, but I can only imagine how you reacted when that happened lol

I swear on Minerva I scoured the Sector 7 slums in Chapter 4 but I never triggered this scene with Biggs. Had no idea it existed until just now. Did the game just not load Biggs' model for me in my playthrough? Are there specific conditions to make this scene available?

For the most part I haven't experienced any bugs with the character models. Though Cloud did get a jittery leg at the end of Ch4.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I swear on Minerva I scoured the Sector 7 slums in Chapter 4 but I never triggered this scene with Biggs. Had no idea it existed until just now. Did the game just not load Biggs' model for me in my playthrough? Are there specific conditions to make this scene available?

For the most part I haven't experienced any bugs with the character models. Though Cloud did get a jittery leg at the end of Ch4.

I got that scene with Biggs, but only the second time I played the section (Forgot to save and the last autosave was at Wedge's house.) Biggs is like, right there too. Maybe there is some kinda loading issue?

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I was just watching playthroughs of this chapter today, and I just love some of the one-liners Cloud has. He can be pretty snarky, which is hilarious. This line of his is I think the funniest in the entire game:

"Real sorry about your a**."

There was a lot of fun and humor in this chapter, and it was great. I just wish we'd had more chapters centered on this crew before the shift to Reactor 5. But I really liked what we got.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
No, there's one actually called "Jessie's Theme" and it's the music playing while you're walking on the way to her house. "The Look on Her Face" is a different version of it for a scene with her much later in the game.
Imo, it would've been nice to see more story between her and Cloud, I think she really could've won him over eventually, and their pizza date would've been great to see. Watching him slowly let her in and let her near would've been a sweet and cute journey. What we got feels like the beginning of a potential romance that had yet to unfold but which very well could have if the circumstances had been different. Guy who's initially uncertain about the girl who's into him loses some of his hard edge after spending time with her and becomes gradually more interested the more they're together and the more she pokes through his shell. But we didn't get to see that journey, and right after this fun and wonderful chapter, the story yanks you away from her and the guys and never really looks back. It's as if SE was saying, to quote Jessie, "Psych!"

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I was not a fan at all of Angeal or Genesis. They were both terrible characters, although Genesis more obnoxiously so. I was very ready to hop onto the Roche hatewagon.

But...

Omg I fucking love this dumbass character. He's so much the opposite of what I thought he was going to be.

So yeah. Count me in for the pro-Roche team.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I was not a fan at all of Angeal or Genesis. They were both terrible characters, although Genesis more obnoxiously so. I was very ready to hop onto the Roche hatewagon.

But...

Omg I fucking love this dumbass character. He's so much the opposite of what I thought he was going to be.

So yeah. Count me in for the pro-Roche team.
He just really wants to fuck a motorcycle, and I respect that.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Thoughts on Chapter 4:

- I failed the bike test. :( It somehow didn't occur to me at first how the long range attacks actually work. Finally figured it out right before Roche killed me. I think if I tried again I'd do better.

- Wtf is Roche's deal? He's such a kooky dude. And I don't really understand him just... riding away laughing manniacly if he was still physically fine? Maybe if the game portrayed him as injured or whatever that would be different. But it's like, dude you have a job to do why are you killing half your fellow Shinra employees and then just...leaving?

- I'm so glad they're using the term 'Mako Poisoning' instead of 'Mako Addiction' like in Crisis Core. Calling it an addiction didn't make sense because that's not what it was!!!

- So there are other branches of Avalanche operating in Midgar as some sort of militia? That's odd. I don't know how I feel about these people at all. I know in the original game it had been mentioned that there had been other branches of Avalanche, but we never got to see them and I was always under the impression that they did not operate anymore by the time the story began. I liked the idea of it being just a small rag-tag group picking up the pieces of a once proud organization and carrying on the mission the best they could. Now it's kinda weird... (granted I haven't played Before Crisis so maybe I'm missing something).

- More cats. I love them. <3

- It was sweet learning more about Jesse's family. I would like to know more about Wedge and Biggs' is families as well but I'm not holding out hope for that.

- I can't be the only other person who was distracted by this same thought:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
the one thing I found really weird about this chapter was the placement of the promise flashback? like, I thought it was coming during Cloud and Tifas chat in the previous chapter. But then I got distracted because my nose started bleeding at the prompt to choose Tifa's dress (oh god she's such a babe fuck).

But instead the memory is triggered because... Cloud sees a random turbine? The fuck?

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this remake so far, but some important narrative beats seem off.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I think it’s probably because the writers wanted to Cloud to remember and flashback to the promise on his own, without prompting from Tifa. As a lot of the more juvenile sounding dialogue lines have been cut/modified in the Remake. Guess they wanted to connect the “rescue when in need” aspect to the Avalanche trio’s need for Cloud’s help?

Fangu

Great Old One
I had no idea about male calico cats. Googled the explanation. That's interesting.

Also, how does the long ranged attacks work? :P I pressed L1 but nothing happened. So I basically defeated Roche without using them lol

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Okay game, you have my attention. It's a brilliant choice to let us spend time in Sector 7, get to know people and find our way around. I also find my long held headcanon that Tifa is the mob boss of Sector 7 vindicated.

"Nice shop you got here... it'd be a shame if something happened to it..."

She's so damn nice. "Here, have an apartment" "Oh, you want to be a merc, talk to this guy, I'll set you up." The writing has room to breathe, it comes together a lot better.

Finding that last cat took forever.

So often, games give you choices that are 'be in love' or 'fuck off' it's so nice that 'not interested' was still a positive response this time.

The conversations are well written, AVALANCHE's dynamic is nice, the bit with Johnny and the Corneos was nice, although 'let's go before they wake up'...I don't think they're getting up, Tifa. And if they have, they've seen us, so we're screwed.

Corneos are so cheap. It's 300 gil, that's less than a set of earrings. But sure, taking the famous merc with Mako eyes and a giant sword into a dark alley is the better option. Also, Cloud, ask for higher bribes to sell out your friends FFS. I'm insulted on Barret's behalf.

A lot of threads are laid down here early.

They're really leaning hard into the shipping. I picked 'mature' as the dress option as that seemed the least creepy thing to say. I will try to match your dress with my outfit options of SOLDIER uniform, SOLDIER uniform, and SOLDIER uniform.

Tifa: Well, I guess we'd better get some sleep. *stretches pointedly* Night.

And then I forget about my date to go do a terrorist attack, murdering a dozen traffic cops along the way. Yay?

Sure Jessie, warm my back with your cold steel breastplate.

I love the idea of Roche, but the teamkilling doesn't make any sense. He's even worse at taking care of his subordinates than the Turks, which is saying something. Shinra would have executed this man by now if he does this stuff on a regular basis. It is nice to see a SOLDIER 3rd get personality, but not this personality.

I died against him on the bike. Had trouble reading the tutorial options and mixed up brake and accelerate for quite some time. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I like the idea of Jessie's backstory, but I'm not altogether keen on her swiping her Dad's ID, I'd rather she had skills rather than just connections. Also, we now know the IDs are logged, so that's a really really bad idea.

The body count just got dumb in that warehouse. Cause that much devastation and you'll just bring Shinra down on your heads even harder. You could do the same thing with four or five guards, Roche, and the mechs, and it would make much more sense.

My tally currently stands at 85 dead Shinra personnel, and that's with me trying to stay out of trouble.

So, mainstream AVALANCHE is still a thing? I really really hope Rufus isn't funding this version. How are Barret's crew the extremists?

We parachute back down and go to sleep, and a ghost wishes me pleasant dreams. That's nice. Then they attack the town and injure Jessie, forcing me onto the next job. Friendly ghosts? Huh.

Top Bottom