FFVII REMAKE Official MODS Thread

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I’m no expert on either PC gaming or mods, my only real experience of it being the incredible work that the modding community does on Cities Skylines, however I’m interested to see how far you could actually go with these!

I know it’s early days yet but I’m trying to figure out how far modders could go in changing the game and what the possibilities are. Could you fundamentally change the game, for instance…

- Create your own character models and put yourself in the game.
- Create new areas and environments to explore, even new sidequests with different enemies?
- Give Cloud a gun arm and give Barret his arm back so he could wield a sword.

Just thinking out loud there, I’m sure I could come up with loads more! I’m just curious of what is and isn’t possible…
When it comes to modding, you could say "anything is possible". I'm not really an expert, but below is a good rule of thumb to keep in mind:
- A mod that consists in re-using (or swapping) an existing asset in the game is relatively easy to implement. Cloud in his blue dress, swinging Rufus's model around, fits this category.
- A mod that consists in integrating "custom-created" content in the game is a lot harder (like "orders of magnitude" harder). The larger the scope of the "custom-created" content, the harder. Creating a new sword for Cloud to swing around is one thing, creating a whole new environment for characters to move around is on a very different level - the latter generally well-beyond what a single person can do. If you were to create a different enemy, it's not just the 3d model you'd have to think about, you'd also need to animate it, have special effects, code its combat behaviour, etc (unless you're re-using existing animations and behaviour scripts).
- Trying to change the structure of the events in the game (e.g. adding side-quests) is also very difficult to do, namely because it's generally a good way to introduce game-crashing bugs.

So, while "anything is possible", generally there's a practical limit to what a single amateur (or a group of talented amateurs) can do.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
It turns out that you can't use Yuffie or Sonon in the main game, apparently there's some code that stops them crossing over. Cloud and co can't be used in the dlc either. Model swaps can work sometimes...but that's all. Some KH3 music has been ported over

Like I said in the other thread, this isn't a standard version of UE4. It'll be a while before anyone gets custom models in, and some of the tools for other UE4 games don't work with this one.

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean
1639947367032.jpeg

1639947388581.jpeg

Cloud with Azul's weapon actually works really well in battle, but it's floating behind him while walking or running around normally.

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE_12_19_2021_3_24_04_AM.png

They've also tried putting characters over other characters, but it's a work in progress so far.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Can’t wait for the under the Highwind scene to be reimagined as a uh, ahem…“squatting” minigame a la GTA San Andreas’ “Hot Coffee” mod

Eerie

Fire and Blood

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Not sure what looks funky, those expressions are good. Very intriguing they put that much effort into the unseen.

Like, the pained expression Tifa has while her back is to Cloud is intense. That really makes me feel like Nojima meant for something to happen here but it got cut.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
No, Tifa's expression is what I meant when I said that we see expressions we wouldn't see without the addon to change the angle. But in the second screenshot, her right shoulder is all funky, a bit misplaced, because we weren't supposed to see this scene in this angle.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Ooooh, I see what you mean. I'm dumb :monster:

Yeah, the shoulder is a bit much from the front, lol. But yeah. It's interesting how they put this much work in the facial animations in scenes where they aren't even speaking. Like, that's some serious detail.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Yeah I wonder if they first chose to work that angle before deciding against it. I didn't expect to have such details on a face we weren't supposed to see?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
These character overlay mods are just so crack. LMAO wtf, Bahamut as Tifa's gloves? Rufus as Cloud's sword?

This is 100% crack. :wacky:

jeangl123

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jean
FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE_12_19_2021_11_40_17_PM.png
FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE_12_19_2021_11_40_01_PM.png
Baby mod

Sephiroth's meteor
FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE_12_19_2021_2_43_51_AM.png

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE_12_19_2021_11_50_35_PM.png
And Madam M's fan.
They've been getting very creative.

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE_12_20_2021_12_01_10_AM.png
Take this Jenova! Crandiff coming out with some real quality mods.

Last edited:
With the recent PS4 9.00 Jailbreak it is easier to install trainers (cheat devices) and even install a 60fps patch for FFVII Remake on the PS4. Framerate isn't locked at 60fps because the game can't meet that demand but it still runs smoother.

5m36s -> 8m41s

Top Bottom