SPOILERS FFVII Remake Open Spoiler Discussion Thread

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I just went through chapter 3 last night, and a bit of NPC dialogue caught my eye (since I already spoiled myself on the ending). Went something like this:

Woman: The new Loveless production is incredible!
Vendor: Oh yeah? Is it any different from the annual production they usually do?
Woman: Not really, but the ending is very different.

I see what you're doing there Square...
Lmao

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Loveless having different endings based on different interpretations, and whether it's the actual play or the pop musical based around the love interest of the main hero, has been a thing since Crisis Core. Don't really think that's so tongue-in-cheek there.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Loveless having different endings based on different interpretations, and whether it's the actual play or the pop musical based around the love interest of the main hero, has been a thing since Crisis Core. Don't really think that's so tongue-in-cheek there.
May not have been meant that way, but I definitely took it that way. Honestly, I appreciate it; to me it shows they have a lot of confidence in what they're doing.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
It could also be a reference to the ending that Genesis "wrote" with the Lifestream at the end of Crisis Core. Mayne that piece of paper got found or floated to some playwright who used it.

Also Aerith saying "shit" perfect conveys the meaning of that situation, prime example how a literal translation doesn't always convey the meaning of the context of scenes/things as well.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Figured replying to this here would be a better place than the Chapter 8 thread:

Really? I figured since there weren't any Whispers around during the encounter with the #49 Sephiroth copy, that it just the former situation and not the latter.

I think Seph sometimes hits Cloud with a vision of the future as well. Cloud has glimpses or feelings even when Whispers aren't about (e.g. when he meets Aerith in the church or when he sheds a tear at the end of Chapter 8/beginning of Chapter 9).

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I think Seph sometimes hits Cloud with a vision of the future as well. Cloud has glimpses or feelings even when Whispers aren't about (e.g. when he meets Aerith in the church or when he sheds a tear at the end of Chapter 8/beginning of Chapter 9).
Wouldn't the Church still count as Whispers though? Since they literally pop up after Reno arrives, so presumably the Whispers were already hanging around. And the one Cloud has at the beginning of Chapter 9 didn't actually have any vision occur, so I figure that one is a Jenova/Zack/Sephiroth caused spaz-out and not a future vision one. That's why I think the Whirlwind Maze one is a hive-mind present day vision and not a Whisper future vision case.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Potential Spoilers. Didn't know the exact place to post this, so chose this thread.

Aoife of Eurogamer did a great breakdown of the ending and the overall direction of the game itself.

Interesting and relatively good breakdown of the ending events, but if it wasn’t already obvious from my numerous past posts, I really disagree with the author’s conclusions of what the ending means.

I definitely don’t think Zack is meant to be alive by the end (be it an alternate timeline or something else), also I think the Stamp chips dog is supposed to be a character from Stamp’s crew (not a different alternate Stamp). I am personally confident the Remake is still going to be largely a Remake of the original story (with Aerith’s death and Meteor summon remaining intact in particular) but ultimately we’ll just have to wait for the next installment and/or clarification from SE/the developers.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
If deviations from the story created alt-realities, then it would defeat the whispers purpose.

They protect the orders of things so they can maintain their existence, which would be unnecessary if alt-realities were a rule in the77 game.

I think Zack managed to see the explosion because he has jenova's cells or something.

I hope SQ trolls all players that want to see Zack or Aerith alive just because, by killing Zack at the beginning of part 2.:mon:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
So, I was wondering what the consensus is on the status of the Avalanche trio. Obviously Biggs has survived, but Wedge and Jessie were left ambiguous for now.

For Wedge, the last time we see him he has seemingly been shoved out a window by the Whispers, complete with a glass shattering noise. The thing keeping him "ambiguous" is the cut to black. I have a hard time believing someone is really dead when its a cut to black, because that's rarely the case in media. Falling has also proven to be fairly nonlethal in FF7.

Jessie seemingly died right before our eyes on the pillar, but it was the same case with Biggs. The glove on the desk could have just been a keepsake taken by whoever recovered Biggs, but it also could have simply been left there by her for whatever reason. The fact that its one glove and not both is questionable. Why would she leave just one? Why would somebody only take one off her body? Gloves come in pairs, damn it. Obviously I want her to be alive too, but I'll admit I probably got too excited in the chapter 18 thread.

I'm glad at least one of them survived anyway, and with the whispers gone (...?) they aren't gonna murder Biggs too.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Smart answer or no, the glove thing with Jessie is so specific and odd that I can't help but think it makes more sense to think she left it there.
It's the fact that its so neatly placed there in the bedroom, along with the headband (which could feasibly be Biggs or Jessie's.) I don't exactly know how one would store a dead person's memento, but that seemed more like "I'll just leave this here because I don't need it."

This question is probably going to plague me for the next however-long until remake 2 comes around. Oh no.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Does who dies or lives even matter anymore, maybe on Gaia-1 only Biggs survives but on Gaia-2 Jessie and Wedge does.

Death loses its tragedy if you know in another reality you can cheat it.

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
If the rest of the game is anything to go by, is it unfair to assume that Wedge was caught by someone as he was dropping and hauled back over the edge?

In all seriousness that one is a bit of a mystery. Biggs surviving was feasible given the situation he was in (not near the top of the plate and in a position to be rescued), but I’m not convinced the same can be said for Jessie. Given the direction of the ending though, who knows what is true?!

As it goes, I was both very happy to see them survive and comfortable with it within the bounds of what was feasible from the OG. I mean, it was never confirmed that they died, right? They made us go through the wringer with it in chapter 12 though didn’t they.

Top Bottom