(FFVIII)This shit blew my mind...

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I loved the fact that you could break the Junction system. It's definitely something where you're rewarded with results equal to the effort you put into it, and it's not like people playing through the game for the first time are going to realize they can exploit it so easily.

Breaking the Junction system is a fun thing to do on replays of FFVIII. And leads to satisfying vindication for those who were stuck forever on the fight with Adel the first time around.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
If you've read as many shoujo mangas as I have you would realize that Squall is not at all that incredibly deep of a character. He has a lot of character clones, and it's all the same thing: jerks on the outside because they don't want to get close to anyone and get hurt. His character is pretty much the character of every other "cold and unsociable" main hero characters in girly romance plots.

Don't get me wrong, I like Squall and his character, but I really just fangirl over him because he's a hot mass of pixels especially when he's frowning. Minus points for the choice of woman, but I blame Square for that. :awesome:
Kyo Sohma does it so much better too. And Tohru is actually likeable.

C'mon Squeenix, if you're going to give us a shoujo manga, at least make me enjoy the characters.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
lol

He died by having a spike go through his right shoulder?! Man his anatomy is fucked up xD

lol.png

One could argue punctured lung, really.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Tidus died, or was at least rendered unconscious, in the opening of FFX when he falls into the ruins of the blitzball stadium after Sin shoots up the place. He then has this really wild dream about how he's a dream, and that was his way of telling himself that he was dreaming!

Or something.

Riveting.

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
You know what, there were times when I bet other characters from FFs thought it was all a dream.
OH SHIT

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Or maybe they were actually mushrooms and all of FF7 and the Compilation has been a trip.

Sure would be an easy way to write-off any retcons ^_^

sheens

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sheens, Mooglet
I dislike that theory. BECAUSE it can't be right. As it means my time playing it was wasted. :[

Also, the theory has all sorts of holes if you look at Junction Machine Ellone and whatnot.

And Squall didn't die on the float as it was a magic attack and you can be cured with a nice dose of Curaga.

Oh and;
endshot8.jpg

I didn't get this in my FMV. It is freaky though.

Last edited:

Smaddy

Green Mage
I haven't, but I'd love to read it if you've got a link. ^^
I'll keep looking, but I can't think of where exactly I saw it. Basically the theory is that FF7 is some kind of dream or past life sequence seen through the eyes of Aeris. This is attributed to the fact that the game begins and ends with the same shot of her face.

I'll say it's interesting... but other than that... :huh:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The cast had potential, actually. They weren't as weird as most characters in Japanese RPG's. In fact, FFVIII is, in terms of story / location / characters the most western RPG SE made to date. That, and XII, but that's more medievalish.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Would it come as a surprise to anyone that I love FFVIII's cast? Probably not, I guess.

I think the idea was that every one of these people is somebody you already know if you've gone to high school. And, yeah, that pre-recognition was the substitute for exploring and developing most of them, especially beyond Disc 1.

But I still think it worked.

krystabegnalie

Lv. 25 Adventurer
all could i say is wow

the person that think for squall is dead theory is a whole lot of imagination in his mind, and yeah some points make sense in it

and actually searching squall is dead sites in google, ive found something over this site and they have already talking that squall is dead but they can't pinpoint in what part where he died

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/822/t356383-does-squall-die-at-end/

and the thread is created last 2004, lol

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
In fact, FFVIII is, in terms of story / location / characters the most western RPG SE made to date.

ahahahahahahahaha

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Lithp, Unholy Quadralateral
lol

He died by having a spike go through his right shoulder?! Man his anatomy is fucked up xD

lol.png

That actually kind of looks like it went through his lung, but I think that's just a trick of the graphics. If it did...that would be pretty serious. Without immediate treatment, he would die.

If it is in his shoulder, it's definitely got a high percentage chance of piercing the subclavian artery or vein. Same situation. Without quick treatment, Squall is fucked.

Additionally, the sheer force & area of that ice spike would do some pretty nasty damage.

Shoulder=/=Minor wound. You have major arteries & veins going all throughout your body. If it sounds unthreatening, it probably isn't. You are actually probably more at risk of bleeding out if you get stabbed in the thigh, armpit, or stomach, simply because you don't have any bones to protect you in any of those locations.

I don't really know what happened after this point in the game, but I'm just gonna go ahead & assume that the linked theory is wrong. It has pretty poor evidence going for it, although it was a somewhat interesting interpretation.

Source:

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I don't really know what happened after this point in the game ...

Squall wakes up in a prison, marveling at how he has no wound. The explanation for why immediately presents itself in the form of him being interrogated for information.

NB said:
... but I'm just gonna go ahead & assume that the linked theory is wrong.

It's probably the most absurd theory -- that its conceiver also took seriously -- yet to appear in the fandom. :monster:

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
Yeah, I really know next to nothing about VIII. The whole plot is basically a mystery to me, beyond Ultimecia's motivations. I don't really know anything about her plan, why there's a resistance, or any of that shit.

Neo Bahamut

Omnipotent Jackass
AKA
I'm considering it, but I don't know when I'll ever get around to it. Or if I'll even be able to find VIII &/or IX. I'm having enough trouble finding the earlier games, which were only recently ported.

Top Bottom