FFVIIR at Gamescom 2019

Radigar

Pro Adventurer
Apologies for bursting your bubble but that's not free camera control. The camera adjusts to focus on the target currently selected in the menu. The gameplay demonstration at SE's E3 press conference already showed that feature.
Also, that camera spin was most likely a demonstration only feature to show off the slow-motion feature and give Neil time to gush about it and Kitase to put him back on track.

RIGHT! I completely forgot that the cartoon dog with the military helmet is called Stamp. Now that line makes a lot more sense. Nice tie-in of in-universe elements. I'm hoping for much more of that.
And I'm still of the opinion that Stamp is meant for Shinra to low-key spread their propaganda.

About Stamp we had more clues in the FF30th Exibithion look this reply:
https://thelifestream.net/forums/th...ps4-on-march-3-2020.21776/page-13#post-824408

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
Look again. In the demo, when he switches to Barret for the first time, (after dismissing the tutorial column) Barret enters TM and targets monodrive A, then shifts the camera slightly several times without ever getting a better look at monodrive A, and never changing targets — it’s between 3:25-3:32.
Damn, how could I miss that? It doesn't look like an automated camera adjustment as nothing else happens. Nice find!
Though I do remember Max Dood saying the camera is locked during Tactical Mode. Maybe I'm misremembering?

About Stamp we had more clues in the FF30th Exibithion look this reply:
https://thelifestream.net/forums/th...ps4-on-march-3-2020.21776/page-13#post-824408
Those were part of the gameplay demonstration at E3 and not the 30th anniversary exhibition (which only showed those 8 artworks if I'm not mistaken) and I also included those ads in my analysis. I just forgot about the dog's name being Stamp.

Radigar

Pro Adventurer
Damn, how could I miss that? It doesn't look like an automated camera adjustment as nothing else happens. Nice find!
Though I do remember Max Dood saying the camera is locked during Tactical Mode. Maybe I'm misremembering?

Those were part of the gameplay demonstration at E3 and not the 30th anniversary exhibition (which only showed those 8 artworks if I'm not mistaken) and I also included those ads in my analysis. I just forgot about the dog's name being Stamp.

The link is wrong I do not know why, it seems to link other of my replies, I mean this 30th anniversary exhibition reference:

DVDBnPGXUAEukFO

I was reviewing the FF30th Exibithion photos when ....WTF!!! one of Aerith's lines surprised me.

Is this a reference to Stamp the Dog? Could mean that Aerith had a pet?
She talk assuming that "Stamp" is no longer alive, maybe could have been captured and subjected to Shinra experiments?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite

Maybe they changed it after feedback? Looks like they’ve made a few other alterations, as you pointed out. :)

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Look again. In the demo, when he switches to Barret for the first time, (after dismissing the tutorial column) Barret enters TM and targets monodrive A, then shifts the camera slightly several times without ever getting a better look at monodrive A, and never changing targets — it’s between 3:25-3:32.
When it comes to Tactical Mode, we shouldn't forget that time still advance, and it looks like the camera is adjusting accordingly to the targets movement. Additionally trying to show a more favorably perspective for the player, so that there's nothing hindering the player's view on the target.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
The link is wrong I do not know why, it seems to link other of my replies, I mean this 30th anniversary exhibition reference:
Ah, now I see what you mean. It makes sense now. I haven't seen those quotes before, so thank you for posting them!

Maybe they changed it after feedback? Looks like they’ve made a few other alterations, as you pointed out. :)
That's a strong possibility and I do hope this is the case in the final product. *Readies his Share button*

When it comes to Tactical Mode, we shouldn't forget that time still advance, and it looks like the camera is adjusting accordingly to the targets movement. Additionally trying to show a more favorably perspective for the player, so that there's nothing hindering the player's view on the target.
That's another possibility. However, there's no conclusive evidence for that in the leaked footage as that locked on Mono Drive doesn't seem to move a certain way which warrants a camera adjustment. Then again, the blurry nature of the footage makes it hard do discern so I'll reserve judgment for mow.

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
I just noticed in the demo leak that at 2:31 you see a defeated soldier turn into green sparklies. Looks like he returned to the lifestream™!

Oh, neat! I remember seeing that, but I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me and it was just the reactor being all "glowy". Now that I think about it, it does make me feel pretty bad that we're killing them (not like we weren't in the original, though) and that we can see their spirit ascend. Poor generic enemies. D:

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
Now that I think about it, it does make me feel pretty bad that we're killing them (not like we weren't in the original, though) and that we can see their spirit ascend. Poor generic enemies. D:
Looks like that is going to be a bigger theme this time around. They seem to be showing more remorse for the collateral damage they are causing.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
^^ so does this mean Bugenhagen is lying when he says that the body decays whereas the spirit returns to the Lifestream? Or am I being pedantic, and these are obviously just ‘dying’ animations to get enemies off the field/de-cluttering?

I think it’s worthy of speculating on though, IF this becomes the way life forms canonically return to the planet. But the likelihood is that it’s just the dying animation, right? Surely.

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
^^ so does this mean Bugenhagen is lying when he says that the body decays whereas the spirit returns to the Lifestream? Or am I being pedantic, and these are obviously just ‘dying’ animations to get enemies off the field/de-cluttering?

I think it’s worthy of speculating on though, IF this becomes the way life forms canonically return to the planet. But the likelihood is that it’s just the dying animation, right? Surely.
I would say it's just the animations they chose to clear assets off of the environment. They could have just made them fade out, but it seems they chose that color and style as a symbolic nod to the "return to the planet" theme.

I seriously doubt Aerith will just fade into green goo.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The Compilation has done a lot of turning into Lifestream right after death and I've never liked it. As you say, the body is still supposed to decay, the general vibe of Cosmo Canyon is that most people don't even know what the Lifestream is, or Elmyra thinking her husband will become a star in the sky. If dead people just immediately turn into stuff that looks an awful lot like the stuff in and around Mako reactors, how would anyone not put that together?

Now, that said, I don't care if that's how enemies disappear on the battlefield. As chaos says, they've gotta disappear somehow, and that's easily written off as a stylistic choice.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's just a way of clearing the battlefield. When the plot requires bodies to hang around, they hang around: President Shinra, all the NPCs killed by Sephiroth in the Shinra Building, all the people killed by Dyne in Gold Saucer, etc.., etc...

And imagine if you lived in a world where all bodies dissolved as soon as they died. What would anyone eat? How could murders ever be solved?

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
@Clean Cut Chaos the original game has the "shattering apart" death animation, as well as the "just fade away" animation for different enemies, so having some differentiation between the enemy death animations wouldn't be unprecedented.

I'd definitely appreciate the battle system differentiating between killing things that return to the lifestream from those that don't, because it's a good reminder to the player about the world, and sometimes interesting when learning about the enemies.

When it comes to things outside of common enemies who typically both appear and disappear inside the battle, I have to agree that the body dissipation thing shouldn't happen to them immediately. Aerith's death and funeral scene is a pretty important part of that. I've always thought that seeing the lifestream dissipation is a good representation of them being past the point of being revived (i.e. them passing on), but I also think that it's definitely been overused for things that aren't initially transubstantiated in form (like the Remnants in Advent Children).

Personally, I like the idea of seeing the Lifestream leave, and having their body remain behind any time we see someone die in the course of the game – especially because places like Gongaga and Corel Prison have graveyards, so we know that physical remains are a thing. Particularly, the deaths of the AVALANCHE crew are gonna be important, and I don't want them to feel ethereal. I want them to feel painfully physical, while also giving the clear indication that they're not just missing a phoenix down.

That being said, I also don't think that it's the sort of game where having a Reactor full of the corpses of MPs you fight is important in selling the message about what you're doing, so clearing out the battlefield area of NPC-level random encounters is still fine for hyper-accelerated death processes vis-a-vis getting lifestream'd.

X :neo:

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
I wouldn't mind that Aerith's "funeral" could end up being in her own dissolvement inside the lake (now after I read this sentence out loud, it sounds awful :wacky:). What I mean is: After Cloud carries her and let the body sink to the bottom, Aerith transforms into Lifestream energy. This embraces the lake, glowing in a full green, where a handful of particles appear over the water surface and floating towards the sky, like fireflies on their last journey...

To let this beautiful scenery left behind, is her way to comforting her grieving comrades, and her chance to say 'goodbye' to them.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Ugh no. Sorry, I hate all this FFX dissolving crap. I would rather have the bodies lie there then fade away after 10 seconds like a normal goddamn video game. What they’ve done with the Lifestream in every post-FF7 entry has been embarrassing. Ugghhhh.

At least there are enough flying sparks and particle effects at all times that I probably won’t notice enemies dissolving. At least there’s that.

I don't really care tbh from a visual point of view, as long as there aren't bodies cluttering up my battlefield and making it hard to maneuver. But I do care when they are so inconsistent and then people start trying to create worldbuilding theories and headcanons on this muddled evidence.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Top Bottom