Final Fantasy IX Community Playthrough

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
DOUBLE POST!!!

Apologies but I think I'd like to keep my chapters separate as there’s more to write about and this one is a bit more filled out, plus I like giving hints and tips to newcomers about boss battles and Hot n' Cold :monster:

• Gizamaluke's Grotto and Burmecia, like every other location in this game, have a very unique style. What do you think about these places?
• Zorn and Thorn make an appearance in this chapter. How do you feel about this dynamic duo?
• Did you give the moogle his Kupo nut? Did you heed his advice and not travel up the vine?
• The first of a few scenario shifts to another party happens in this chapter. Do you think this was a good choice for the narrative?
• There are a further 4 chocographs you can dig up in this chapter. Did you get them in addition to the two available in the previous chapter?
• What is your initial impression of the mysterious man at the end of the chapter?
• This chapter contains two main bosses that can be challenging to a newcomer without a good strategy. They also carry items that are notoriously difficult to steal. Did you manage to steal the items in question? What was your strategy against Gizamaluke?

I think there’s a kind of sadness to both places, but I think that’s more to do with what’s happening in Burmecia and the fact that a version of Freya’s theme plays in both areas, very melancholy and sad. I think Burmecia in its glory would have been a very beautiful place, although I don’t think I’d like living with all that rain constantly.

Zorn and Thorn make for two ridiculous baddies, they just remind me of two very bad tempered kids, even though I know they’re not. They way they speak makes me feel like I’m listening to Yoda and their theme song does nothing to negate the fact they’re there more for comic relief than anything else in the beginning, it’s not until later I think you see the much more sinister side of them and just what they’re capable of as a duo.

I gave the little moogle his first nut I adore that little moogle couple and when he knocks over the bell plus ZOMG super strong moogle it’s like pop-eye and spinach :awesome and then runs off with his nut…awwwwwwww. I decided not to travel up the vine, there’s a better opportunity later to take on the Grand Dragons and I’m not stupid enough to even try and attempt taking the thing on right now.

I really like the change in scenario rather than them putting it through as an ATE and gives you a much better in depth look at what Steiner and Garnet are up to. I always like it when you get to use a different character in the game and controlling Garnet makes a really nice change to Zidane and I think it was done at the right time, right after one major boss battle and although it’s short, it’s good to see exactly what Garnet is planning and that she decided not to head to Burmecia but rather back home.

Chocographs: So I already knew this but on disc one you can find a total of 9 chocographs and 2 chocograph pieces, I went on ahead an evolved Choco to a river chocobo and then travelled back to the forest to see what else I could get, turns out I was only able to access another chocograph piece and that’s it but I was able to open another chocograph along the way. For anyone interested the chocographs and pieces you can dig up on disc 1 are as follows:

2x Chocograph pieces
Streamside
Between mountains
Uncultivated land
Healing Shore
Abandoned Beach
Cold Field
Faraway Lagoon
Birds-eye Lagoon
Small Beach

After that you’ll be able to open some more of them on disc 2 but you won’t be able to dig for more until disc 3 :monster:

Kuja….first impression:……why the hell are they referring to you as a HE when you’re clearly a fucking woman, where the hell's your package and why have you got hips like that!

Nah in all seriousness though, you can tell he’s the person pulling the strings. He seems very calm and collected and strikes you as someone who there’s definitely something more too. I can’t say too much at this point as I don’t want to spoil Kuja’s character for anyone who hasn’t played but the next few chapters are definitely an eye-opener on what he’s all about.

Finally the bosses, Gizamluke, I always find the easiest strategy although it doesn’t work on all bosses, is to throw a tent at him very first thing in battle. When a tent is used in battle it heals full HP and MP but it also gives a very high chance of inflicting Poison, Darkness and Silence on the person it’s used on, this includes your characters, so I wouldn’t recommend using it on characters unless they have the Bright Eyes, Loudmouth and Antibody ability equipped, it does make a good alternative to an Elixir later in the game though but against bosses it’s much better to use it first thing. If it doesn’t work the first time at inflicting status effects I generally try one more time and then leave it. I did manage to inflict it first time meaning that no Water Spells got used and most of Gizamaluke’s attacks missed. I didn’t bother stealing the Magus Hat as I’ve got one already but I did get the Elixir and Vivi tranced in battle when Gizamaluke actually managed to hit him so a couple of spells from him helped a lot.

Beatrix was much trickier to steal from; I only managed to get the Phoenix Down and the Chain Plate. In terms of fighting her, she wasn’t actually too bad, my characters are quite well levelled so Shock didn’t even kill Freya or Zidane but did greatly weaken them and Thunder Slash didn’t seemed to be inflicting too much damage. I kept using Quina to cast Vanish which helped for Vivi who is easily the weakest character HP wise in my group. In fact the only reason I couldn’t steal the Mythril Sword from Beatrix was I ran out of time rather than trying to kill her first as the battle ends after a set time limit or when she’s lost enough HP, I’d rather have the Chain Plate anyways as I’m still learning quite few abilities for Steiner at the moment and can grab the Mythril sword a bit later on.

That's all for now :D

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I am right before the hunting festival now

But can't decide if I want Zidane to win in case that does some story stuff (his date)

Freiya so I can get the accessory everyone talked about

Or Vivi in case the card is rare so I can try to complete my collection

Lex

Administrator
Zidane winning or losing has no effect on the story, the special thing about the accessory you get from Freya is that it absorbs thunder (coral ring) and the card is rare at that point but a few people use it in Daguerro so you can win it there later.

You can also get the Coral Ring later, so none of them are that special. I usually pick Freya because there are a few battles that the Coral ring is useful in and it teaches abilities you can't pick up for a while (though none of them are that special).

Lex

Administrator
^This is why I don't bother with Tetra Master, it's too bloody random. Give me Triple Triad any day :desu:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I looked at a guide and I didn't help at all. Why is there hex code on these cards

SAKAGUCHIIIIIIIIIIII

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Agreed. As I said earlier Zidane won in my game more out of necessity (running out of time to kill Zaghnol), but since the Coral Ring is available later, it's hard to argue with cold hard cash :monster:

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The card game isn't really that complicated. I'd say it's easier to learn than 90% of all board games I've ever played, and although the basic mechanics are more complicated than Triple Triad, it doesn't have any nonsense rules like Random, Same, Same Wall or Plus. I admit that it is very poorly explained in the game, and I know the random element confuses people. Here's my attempt at a quick explanation.

FFIX_Tetra_Master_Hedgehog_Pie.jpg

You and your opponent choose five cards each and take turns playing them onto a 4x4 grid, in which some squares (no more than six) are randomly made inaccessible by the game.

If the card you play has an arrow touching a card belonging to your opponent, and that card does not have an arrow pointing back, you will flip the card over and it will be yours for the rest of the game, unless it is flipped back.

If the card you play has an arrow touching a card belonging to your opponent, and that card does have an arrow pointing back, a card battle begins. This is where things get a bit trickier.

Each card has four letters or numbers on it. The first, third and fourth characters are each either 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E or F, with F being the strongest and 0 the weakest.

The first character is the card's attack power. This value is used if you use the card to initiate a card battle.

The third character is the card's physical defence. If a P-type card attacks your card, this is the value used to determine your card's defence.

The fourth character is the card's magical defence. If an M-type card attacks your card, this is the value used to determine your card's defence.

Whether a card is P-type or M-type is determined by the second character, which is one of P, M, X and A. P and M stand for physical and magical, and work as I described above. X and A are a little more complicated. X stands for either exploit or flexible, depending on who you believe, and means that the card can attack either the physical or magical defence, whichever is weaker. A stands for assault, and means that the card uses its highest value to attack the lowest value on the defending card, even if that number is attack power rather than defence. A is the best type of card.

The numbers that appear on your cards during a card battle are not really important - all you need to know is that a higher value equates to a higher chance of winning, though it isn't guaranteed. A weak card can beat a strong card, but the greater the difference in their strengths, the less likely it is.
the numbers that appear on the cards, which I'll call their strength, are random numbers between 16 times the value that is being used in the battle and 16 times the next value up - the values used are attack power for the attacking card and the corresponding defence value for the defending card.Because it's hexadecimal, A = 10, B = 11 and so on, up to F = 16. Next, a random number between 0 and the strength of each card is subtracted from their strengths, and whichever card is left with the higher number wins.

If you flip over a card in a card battle, that card will then flip over all the other cards it is pointing towards, making them your colour. It doesn't flip over cards which are already your colour. This is called a combo.

If you place a card on the board which could initiate multiple card battles, you will be able to choose which cards to fight first. Your strength returns to full after each one, so the only thing you have to think about is possible combos. If your card can take one card without needing a battle but causes a battle with another, the battle is decided first before the other card is flipped (or not).

Whichever player has more cards of their colour on the board at the end of the game is the winner and gets to pick one of the cards they flipped over to take from their opponent and keep for themselves. The exception to this is if a player holds all 10 cards at the end of the game, in which case they have achieved a "Perfect" victory and get to keep all five of their opponent's cards.

The attack and defence values of cards can be upgraded by using the cards in a victorious game. Cards have limits to how much they can level up, though, so it's worth playing higher level cards, which are further to the right of the card selection screen. The attack powers P and M can only turn into X and A by winning card battles - it is not enough just to have used the cards in the game.

And that's all there is to it :)

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Yep, and now I completely understand it. I still prefer Triple Triad though, the same and plus rules add an interesting arithmetic element that I liked. Any rules I didn't like are really easy to get rid of. And there's no random number generation element to Triple Triad.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
I much prefer Tetra Master over Triple Triad and I found it much easier to understand so I've never had too many problems myself playing it :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I never really knew why it needed a random element.
I don't know either; it would have been equally as good, if not better, without it.

It is partially explained in the game, though. You can learn about it from Alleyway Jack in Alexandria, and there are additional bits of information scattered around, like in Eve Subboard's shop in Dali.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
... it doesn't have any nonsense rules like Random ...

This almost made me choke on my drink, Flint. :monster:

Tetra Master is pretty much nothing but random rules. I hate it so much. So, so much.

It would have stood a chance at being a decent game without the random bullshit. But, then, it would have been a slightly different version of Triple Triad.

Perhaps Triple Triad was too good a game and they felt it needed to be ruined just so as to do something different.

In any case, excellent explanation of the game mechanics. Best I've seen as well. That post really needs to be linked to during the next Weekly Roundup.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Chapter 3
How do you feel about Lindblum?
I've never been a huge fan of the place, actually. I think it's too inefficient to get around. It's a bit like the Esthar of Final Fantasy IX in that regard, although not quite as bad.

Did you synthesise anything? Now might be a good time to comment on the equipment system in the game :)
I synthesised at least one copy of every available piece of equipment, and 99 Cotton Robes, of which I then sold 98 :monster:

The equipment system is good, if a little fiddly. It makes sense to be able to swap out different parts of characters' armour individually, though it's a shame they're not visible in battle. The reason I think it's fiddly is that my characters all tend to be learning about five things at once, which requires visits to the menu after just about every battle to adjust things. VIII was worse, though, because of the GFs. I'm comparing it to again VIII because that was this game's predecessor and therefore the most obvious reference point :)

Who won the festival of the hunt? Did you do this on purpose? If so, why? :desu:
Vivi! Letting him win was my challenge for this chapter. It's not difficult at all, I know, but it wasn't easy to come up with any good ideas for this largely side-quest-based chapter. I chose it because I don't think I've ever let him win before. Freya won in my first playthrough because I didn't find Zaghnol, Zidane won in my second because I did, and I have let Freya win every time since then to get the Coral Ring. Vivi's prize, a card, is a bit of a rubbish prize, but it doesn't really matter. So this time I stole the Mythril Fork from Zaghnol and then knocked out Zidane and Freya. Vivi got 125 points - you miss out on a Mognet letter if the winner gets less than 100.

SIDEQUEST TAIMU! Which quests did you complete? Do you like Hot and Cold?
Complete? The Chocobo quest has just begun :) But I found all the Chocographs I could at this stage, and opened up the five of them that can be reached on disc one in this chapter and the next.

Did you go to Qu's Marsh? If so, did you obtain Quina? If so, did you spend some time learning Blue Magics?
I got Quina, which was the trigger for me to finally let my characters level up a bit. They had all been at level one up to that point. I'm still not grinding though, and to make sure I don't get overlevelled at any stage, I'm escaping from roughly every other battle. Anyway, I got all the Blue Magic that is available on disc one and caught about 12 frogs at the marsh.

Chapter 4
Gizamaluke's Grotto and Burmecia, like every other location in this game, have a very unique style. What do you think about these places?
They would be quite nice if not for the high encounter rates. It's a bit of a shame you never get to see Burmecia in its proper state, but it nonetheless has a great atmosphere.

Zorn and Thorn make an appearance in this chapter. How do you feel about this dynamic duo?
I was amused by their dialogue the first time I played the game, but I have found them irritating pretty much ever since. They're just a waste of time :P

Did you give the moogle his Kupo nut? Did you heed his advice and not travel up the vine?
The game can't be completed without giving away Moguta at least one Kupo Nut, kupo :) I tried selecting "no" a few times, but Mogmi just keeps asking until you select "yes", so it's a false choice. I came back to give away another after I had picked it up in Burmecia and was rewarded with a tent. Not great, but I was passing through Gizamaluke's Grotoo anyway to dig up some more Chocographs on the other side.

The first of a few scenario shifts to another party happens in this chapter. Do you think this was a good choice for the narrative?
I actually remembered the timing of the switch to Dagger and Steiner incorrectly - I thought it was at the beginning of disc two. That might have been a better time for it, as attention switches to them at that point anyway.

There are a further 4 chocographs you can dig up in this chapter. Did you get them in addition to the two available in the previous chapter?
I'm pretty sure there's only five in total: two that can be dug up before going through Gizamaluke's Grotto, one on the other side, and two more in the shallow water back on Lindblum's side. Anyway, I got them all.

What is your initial impression of the mysterious man at the end of the chapter?
There is no attempt to disguise the fact that Kuja is a bad guy in this game; it's clear right from the start. I was thinking about the contrast to X, where Seymour's alignment is supposedly unclear for the early parts of the game - except it's not, largely because of the sinister music that plays whenever he's around :D I'm no huge fan of Kuja's design, but I like him as a character.

This chapter contains two main bosses that can be challenging to a newcomer without a good strategy. They also carry items that are notoriously difficult to steal. Did you manage to steal the items in question? What was your strategy against Gizamaluke?
Gizamaluke: I used a tent and then stole everything he had before finishing him off.

Beatrix: I didn't inflict so much as 1 HP of damage on her, which made her comment about my characters being weak accurate for a change :) It doesn't make much sense when you've just whacked her with Limit Glove for nearly three times her max HP. I didn't do that this time around because my challenge for the chapter was not to revive any characters - if anyone died at any point, including a random battle, they would stay dead for the rest of the chapter. As it happened, none of them died before Beatrix used Shock on Vivi and Freya. Zidane was doing his level best to steal her Mythril Sword, but to no avail. I would normally restart until I got it, but I won't be using Steiner in the next chapter (the challenge is to use Dagger only), so it's no problem to wait until Treno before buying a couple of them.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Jesus, you are laying some fierce challenges on yourself, man.
They haven't been too tough, really. Ralvurahva, in the next chapter, might prove to be the biggest obstacle so far, because Dagger is still at level one and I'm not going to deliberately level her up. Of course, she'll gain a few levels when I take a detour to Dali, but not enough to compensate for the fact she'll be fighting alone. I think I can manage it, though.

Oeilvert is the chapter I'm really looking forward to :)

Fangu

Great Old One
Chapter Three: Metropolis

How do you feel about Lindblum?
I like Lindblum. But haha, I must have spent like 40 minutes walking around Lindblum exploring before I continued the story. I like to not read guides when I play, so I end up spending a lot of time walking back and forth exploring, and Lindblum was no different. I like the map, it's nicely made and it's easy to get around. The only thing I had problems with was realizing there are actual stairs right next to the pigeon man. It took me some time to realize that's where I was going :lol:

Did you synthesise anything? Now might be a good time to comment on the equipment system in the game :)
I reached that shop before Vivi's segment in the shop. I don't think I had two of the needed daggers to get the Ogre weapon, so I got the first one instead. I also synthed the defence item that costs 1000, I think I got 2 or 3 of them.

Who won the festival of the hunt? Did you do this on purpose? If so, why? :desu:
Zidane, and that's because I thought he had to win in order for you to continue :wacky: Which I guess is a tad duh as they explain the prices to you up front - however I thought the entire party would get the prizes if Zidane won. Oh well.

SIDEQUEST TAIMU! Which quests did you complete? Do you like Hot and Cold?
* The Frog minigame. I caught 8 frogs at the first dam and didn't know I should leave the gold + a male and female frog, so I emptied the dam, lol. Oh well.
* Chocobo Hot & Cold: This must be the most annoying minigame I have ever played XD I managed three rounds. Fuck this.

Did you go to Qu's Marsh? If so, did you obtain Quina? If so, did you spend some time learning Blue Magics?
Yeah, and I learned Aquabreath, Pumpkin Head, Mighty Guard and Angel's Snack, the latter took me way too many items to get but I kept going as I thought I would learn Flame from the dragon. Turns out it's
a Remedy thrower
. Probably very useful later, probably not very useful right now. But oh well, like the pregnant teenage girl said: I decided to keep it.

I have to comment on the Chocobo riding on the map. I love it. It's adorable. This game is so cute.

Lex

Administrator
They regenerate eventually, they just come back much faster if you leave at least one male and female, and the gold frog.

Lex

Administrator
There are other marshes all over the world so catch some more next time you get a chance :monster:

Can't remember the actual time it takes for them to repopulate, but it's a number of in game hours.

Top Bottom