FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH ANNOUNCED

MelodicEnigma

Pro Adventurer
Lmao Yeah, I also like the grilling here—it's probably the most direct conversation that Nomura could have with the fanbase without actually talking to them. It includes the follow up too.

It's still funny to me, because I always stand by the fact that the Compilation itself beget a Remake of FF7, more so than time itself did. It felt natural that all the influx of new and expanding items for the FF7 world would insist another look at how the OG was told. I never wanted the Remake to simply be a shined up version of the OG—I thought it'd be implicit of the opportunity to address the same story but in the same innovation of which they approached the Compilation. -shrug- Either way, I'm enjoying it so far. I just love the boldness of the interviewer though, asking the real questions. hahaha

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
"That said, if the story were to change entirely and become something completely different, it would lack any significance. The challenge we've undertaken with this project is introducing new mysteries without straying from the original."

well-there-it-is.gif

:monster:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
My question is, if basically nothing changes then do those "new mysteries" really amount to anything? This is why I have trust issues with them lol. Why be so damned blunt with Remake's ending if not much will actually change? I also can't help but notice he kind of dodged the question regarding Zack lol.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I think we can gleam from that the Zack mystery will play somewhat paramount in Rebirth. In a way, it's the same mystery, but they want the pay-off to play better.

Reactions: LNK

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
What's the dodge?

And the journey has as much meaning as the destination. How one quantifies that "meaning" is ultimately subjective, but that is what they've said point blank. They wanted to introduce new mysteries that challenge and offer a new experience for the audience instead of presenting the story exactly the same. This isn't about a completely new story, it's a recontextualization of the original FFVII story.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'd just rather not have had all the pomp and fanfare of chapter 18 if it's not going to be significantly different. Granted, I was already thinking all that was mostly just to get Zack back on the table.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
And I'd rather chapter 18 be a bizarre but meaningless fever dream in exchange for a good story :monster: But I know it's not that either :P

I have no idea how things can be basically the same with a huge Zack-shaped wrench primed to be chucked into the middle of everything. But if this means that 90% of each game will be what I want, I can live with that

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I guess it depends what they mean by "true to the original" lol. As long as all the same locations are visited and many of the scenes from the original happen, is that true to the original? Right now it's sounding like all this stuff with Zack and Sephiroth is meant to keep people on their toes without completely unending the premise.

Reactions: LNK

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's not a "meaningless fever dream" but the story is not going to be something completely different, either. Part 1 goes about accomplishing what the writers wished to do; "introducing new mysteries without straying from the original."

Can FFVII withstand a new wraparound plot that encompasses the ultimate fate of the Planet in the future, with Sephiroth as the main antagonist in a larger scope? The writers and myself, seem to think so. I don't think it's something that's so at odds with telling FFVII's core themes and story about Cloud, his friends and the Planet.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
My brain just goes back to Aerith freaking out about "the point of no return" and Red XIII calling all the visions of the original events they get during the battle "glimpses of tomorrow if we fail here today", after which we kill the plot ghosts keeping events in check. If all that doesn't amount to much I'm gonna disapprovingly shake my head.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I can't imagine wanting to ensure that that nonsense is properly paid off more than the actual plot of FF7, lol.

I know that their intention is to manage to pull off both, and I'll tip my hat if they do; but if something has to suffer a less than adequate payoff, I'd much rather it be the 1 chapter of insanity.

More to your question of "if basically nothing changes then do those "new mysteries" really amount to anything," though. The obvious answer there is "the ending." So we play through basically all of FF7 but then at the end Cloud and Zack get to join hands mash Reverse to get to Xemn-er, Sephiroth.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, you can choose to believe that everything is in play, there's a grand fate that's been severed, and that there's this huge potential for things to be radically different than what you know of FFVII.

Congratulations, the writers introduced new tension and stakes within the story for the audience, so you're not just a mere casual observer of the Remake story. That's what Chapter 18 was meant to accomplish.

But they've said what they've said. Consistently. For over a year and a half.

At this point, they've accomplished what they've hoped to accomplish on a grand scale. Honestly, I'm glad people think it's going to be hugely different. Let them. How it proceeds will it make all the more entertaining :monster:

A significant number of people deadass think Crisis Core Rebirth is getting a new ending. That says enough.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
My brain just goes back to Aerith freaking out about "the point of no return" and Red XIII calling all the visions of the original events they get during the battle "glimpses of tomorrow if we fail here today", after which we kill the plot ghosts keeping events in check. If all that doesn't amount to much I'm gonna disapprovingly shake my head.

I have seen this point made a few times and I must admit it has me scratching my head each time. After all of that, the battle with the Whispers, the multi-stage fight against Sephiroth, and the Edge of Creation scene... you left the game feeling as if Cloud and company were victorious?

SephEnding.png

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's what I've said several times.

They never beat Sephiroth. They didn't go into the Singularity to kill the Whispers or defy fate through their combat with those agents of the Planet. Their gambit for changing the planet's "fate" hinged on killing Sephiroth.

And they failed.

So all that happened were the stakes of the planet were increased and put directly into play. The guardrails afforded by the Whispers were removed. That creates tension. That makes you question just what will be changed and what will not. And now they have to directly fight Sephiroth within the confines of the FFVII plot.

So there you go.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Didn't we say, a long time ago before Remake was released, that they'd manage to make people believe that we would be able to save Aerith, only to see her dying a second time? Because that's partly what's at stake and I can see amongst the fanbase a lot of believers in this theory, that she can be saved.

I told a friend not long ago "they are manipulating us into thinking we can save Aerith; but we can't because this is the good ending". Watch people think they can change fate, only to learn that no, we can't. It's a metaphysics level question lol.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
That's what I've said several times.

They never beat Sephiroth. They didn't go into the Singularity to kill the Whispers or defy fate through their combat with those agents of the Planet. Their gambit for changing the planet's "fate" hinged on killing Sephiroth.
Why is Zack alive

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Why is Zack alive

...Why?

:awesomonster:

Ahem.

The reason why he's alive is to further recontextualize and explore the identity themes of the Remake, I'd imagine. It's a surprising and mysterious way to revisit that key part of the story. It challenges the audience's expectations. That's what the writers have been wanting to do, and it makes sense when you go by their reasoning.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
What Zack's deal is, as I have referenced here and about, will likely take up more airtime in Rebirth.
It's presented as a consequence of us defeating the whispers, along with the magical golden shower we see afterwards and Biggs being alive. We even have Aerith saying "the future-even if it has been written-can be changed" in the Rebirth trailer, so I'm not sure why you think nothing was accomplished.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
We even have Aerith saying "the future-even if it has been written-can be changed" in the Rebirth trailer

Dunno what you're talking about, she doesn't say it in my French trailer :p She says in all languages but English "let's not think about the past, but the future", which is one of her core traits...

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
About that, did anyone really think places were getting cut? That was the whole point of the doing the thing across multiple games in the first place, wasn't it?
There were some worried because they expected more games instead of a trilogy, to cover all ogs content.

Top Bottom