Final Fantasy XII

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
A real time battle system means you control your characters and all their actions in real time through constant button input, unlike in most RPGS where you just give commands and the characters do them for you.

FFXII isn't real time at all save for being able to move your characters during battle, which ultimately is pointless anyway.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
A real time battle system means you control your characters and all their actions in real time through constant button input, unlike in most RPGS where you just give commands and the characters do them for you.

FFXII isn't real time at all save for being able to move your characters during battle, which ultimately is pointless anyway.

Ah! Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Yeah, I can agree with you then.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Well it becomes sorta like that if you set the battle config to "Active", then the battle doesn't pause when you open a command window and the characters keep fighting even as you input the next command.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
You still can't control their every action manually, you're just inputting commands and they take it from there.

All of the combos, defensive moves and evasions are all out of your control.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Maybe I'm crazy but I liked the gambit system. It was annoying at first, but minus a few glitches, it was convenient afterward not to have to remember to continuously cast haste or the like. And quite honestly, I trust my gambit system more than I trust an AI.

The only real problem I had with it is that two of their greatest strengths: a story with a rather complex political intrigue, and a huge world that was amazing to explore- did not mesh well together. You've got to pay a lot of attention to the story to get the full picture or you will forget a lot of plot points. But it's hard to pay attention after you decide in between arcs you decide to hunt half a dozen marks. Halfway through I had to go back on youtube and replay all the cut scenes so that it made better sense.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
You're not crazy, I love the system.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
An enhanced Gambit system combined with an enhanced AI in hypothetical future attempts at the system would be awesome. I forgive the Gambit system for some of its flaws and shortcomings because it's a new system, but like I said before, I'm not so lenient on my issues with the (gameplay) character balance and the (plotwise) character interaction, since those are 'old' problems.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
oh sweet god I feel like playing it again. I kept delaying the end just to go around hunting animals and the espers. ( I assign 2 espers to each members. Like a certain organization :awesome: )

But this time when I last left it a year ago, it was hunting that tyranosaurus, the supposedly strongest t-rex. DELICIOUS HUNT!

The Joker

Why So Serious?
I tend to assign two espers to my party as well...I usually end up giving Zodiark to my weakest character, since my stronger ones, can just beat the enemy to within inches of their lives, then summon Zalera (or Zodiark) to end their misery. :monster:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni
I tend to assign the esper to whomever dealt the killing blow to them first; I figure it's only fair that way. So I gave Mateus to Penelo, Belias to Vaan, Adrammalech to Fran, Zalera to Basch, and Zeromus to Ashe.

invisiblestories

Pro Adventurer
AKA
luxembourg, alice
I'm at level 60 or something. I never bothered myself to finish the game before getting all the espers.

I might try getting the last ones this summer.

The Joker

Why So Serious?
I tend to assign the esper to whomever dealt the killing blow to them first; I figure it's only fair that way. So I gave Mateus to Penelo, Belias to Vaan, Adrammalech to Fran, Zalera to Basch, and Zeromus to Ashe.

I've always given Belias to Ashe, since he was suppose to have served the Dynast King as his guardian, and since Ashe was a decendent of the Dynast King, she would get Belias.

Chaos having taken refuge in Nabudis, would go to Basch, and Balthier would get Famfrit, since he came from Dr. Cid. But everything else I usually mix up a bit. Sometimes Balthier gets Zaleria as well, and Fran usually gets Adrammalech none the less. (but I may also give her Exodus.)

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Same here... they were totally useless. I used Mateus sometimes just because it looks cool. XD

The main problem I found is that they used too much MP. No matter your MP, Espers need 1/3, 2/3, or all of your MP to be summoned. That's ridiculous, sure Bahamut in every game kicks ass, but he's not worth half your MP. Not to mention the summons can actually die, so when they're called you have to cast a shitload of buffs and focus on healing them if you actually want to get your MP's worth.

And that Mist Charge you used to summon that Esper could have been used for a Quickening Chain, and Quickenings >>>> Espers.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Quickenings >>>> Espers.

Hell yeah!

And I agree. =/ It's kind of dumb that you summon your Esper and they do their thang while your character is just running around doing nothing, lol. Besides wasting potions, that is. D<

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I must say I agree. When the enemies become more difficult and your character reaches higher levels the espers become quite useless. But that's not to say I've never gotten a good use out of one. Way back a long time ago I was in Ozmone plane and was ambushed but seven or eight of those walking bird things. I would have died had I not summoned Belias.

Also I assign my espers according to what might make sense to the story. Such as I gave Belias to Ashe since it was the Tomb of Wraithwall. This also served to be much more fitting as then later on she could be the one to
open the gate to Giruvagan since you have to summon him first

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I gave Belias to Ashe because it made sense with the story.

But in FFXII International you have different license boards, and on each certain Espers are needed to make a bridge to get certain licenses, so I think I had to give it to someone else :monster:

I still didn't use them much besides seeing what they looked like, though.

The Joker

Why So Serious?
Worst part is having to do certain tasks to get them to use their ultimate attack. Exodus has the be the absolute worst though. He has have the Disable buff within 10 seconds of his timer or something like that.

I summoned Zalera to the field once, and right off the bat used his ultimate attack. It was pretty cool.

Top Bottom