Final Fantasy XIII-2

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
30-ish MB seems enough for the coliseum battles to include a new character model, voice files, etc. In that case, where you're not just downloading a file of a couple hundred KB that's obviously just there to tell the game to let you use something already in the files, I'm more lenient about it.

The Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2 was the first time I was convinced by the whole concept. Something they made afterwards, separate from the main game, with a pretty substantial volume. But I still am not enthusiastic about it. I wouldn't go for the costumes because paying 100 yen for each different outfit isn't something I'm that eager about. If it was 100 yen for both Noel and Serah's in each set, I might think differently. But generally, that's like online multiplayer map packs. Something I don't care that much about, but other people enjoy.

Splintered

unsavory tart
The arguments for DLC can go forever. Probably in its own thread, hell probably in its all forum- no one really agrees with it.

Personally I don't mind it. Especially in a game without multiplayer- in a used game market there's gotta be a reason for a person to keep the game itself. If your game is available day 1 and you actually miss out on a lot of the story without it (I'm looking at you Javik dlc) then that's a rip off.

But if for some reason they wanted to add the game afterwards- that's not necessary but complements the gameplay- then sure. I would love to continue supporting a game that I fully enjoyed. Providing extra fanservice and bosses that add to the difficulty isn't a particularly bad way to continue to profit. I'd gladly pay to flesh out Sazh's story, it wasn't pivotal to the story- you could get on fine without it although honestly, I wish Chrnobind or poker was implemented in the original cut of the game. Serenity with just slots and chocoboracing is just weak.

I could see someone making an argument about Lightning's dlc because it could explain a lot about the plot, although I'm inclined to think that it was cut because of a strict development timeline. We'll see.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Probably. From a gameplay perspective, it addresses almost every single one of XIII's shortcomings (unless you don't like the battle system, but it does let you change party leaders and leader death doesn't equal game over anymore so there's that). It is shorter, however, but maybe that just makes it easier to motivate yourself to start it up as it's not a huge commitment :monster:

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
About fal'Cie: Overall, I feel that SE did a sadly too often used crack pot move in regards to the fal'Cie, and a huge cliche move when it comes to humans. Of course the humans have to be the good guys, so the fal'Cie have to be the evil guys. Eh... my cynicism when it comes to humanity (anymore) comes through in my feelings on this topic.

It all goes back to Bhunivelze's war with Mwynn. The fal'Cie and humanity wouldn't even exist if it wasn't because of whatever issues those two have with each other. Bhunivelze created Pulse, Etro and Lindzei to find Mwyn and protect him in his crystalline state. The other fal'Cie came forth through these orders and Pulse's and Lindzei's own wishes.

Why humanity came into being... I hope we can find out!!! Anyone translate anything more in the XIII or XIII-2 Ultimanias regarding this issue? Yes, we know humanity were created from Etro's blood, but why did
Lindzei do it?
I could speculate...

Also as an aside; I bought this game like a week ago. Should I uh, finally get around to playing it?

I would say that, even if the story is near void, the game play is really fun. In this, I would say definitely give it a try. If you like puzzles, if you like finding stuff and exploring, if you like meeting challenges like getting all the animals and such, then you should love the game play.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Why humanity came into being... I hope we can find out!!! Anyone translate anything more in the XIII or XIII-2 Ultimanias regarding this issue? Yes, we know humanity were created from Etro's blood, but why did
Lindzei do it?
I could speculate...

Please do. Think
he anticipated that it would accomplish the fal'Cie mission in the end?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So, this might be a dumb question, but I'm trying to level Yakshini a bit for the Twilight Odin fight that I'm a little underlevelled for. I know that the Ghouls in Academia 400 will give me the appropriate level 3 monster materials, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to get back to them. I of course arrive at the gate you leave from after beating the place, and backtracking just takes me those barriers. That you can only break throught from the other side as far as I'm aware.

But I know you have to be able to get back there as there's that sidequest for the dude that wants you to 100% explore every area, so how do I get there? Am I missing something obvious between the incessant battles? Thanks

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Backtracking would go this way: You walk back to the bridge (easy part). Then you go "upstairs", and as far to the east as possible. Then go south into the "dark area". It's a pain in the ass because there's a lot of enemies, and I'm aware my explanation was not exactly perfect. But the map itself doesn't change. Or, at least, it didn't, for me. So it's probably you just getting lost, which can happen when you haven't navigated it for long.

You could always "lock" the "node" and re-start the place. You'd get to the map woman in no time.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Backtracking would go this way: You walk back to the bridge (easy part). Then you go "upstairs", and as far to the east as possible. Then go south into the "dark area". It's a pain in the ass because there's a lot of enemies, and I'm aware my explanation was not exactly perfect. But the map itself doesn't change. Or, at least, it didn't, for me. So it's probably you just getting lost, which can happen when you haven't navigated it for long.

You could always "lock" the "node" and re-start the place. You'd get to the map woman in no time.
I'd just restart the place tbh. You get turned around a lot and it wouldn't be so bad if not for the ridiculous encounter rate. Other than that, just open your map constantly and zoom in to try and see if you can find the right path and best guess.

EDIT:

What is the song in the second vid? The one with Gilgamesh. I know it's not from the game and it's kinda awesome.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Japanese-style arrangement of Battle on the Big Bridge by the sounds of it?

Wait a minute, what are they doing showing you the new costumes in the scenes at the start of Neo Bodhum where you can't replay? Can you even get that in the game, or did they just want Noel jumping down in his AC costume?

Splintered

unsavory tart
Don't you basically restart the game, if you "lock" New Bodhum's place?
Restarting is an interesting way feature. There are some limitations to just locking it though, some scenes are missed (this is actually sometimes a good thing to because a lot of the more tedious puzzles and find it missions are skipped).

And the side missions and places that aren't essential to the plot are skipped, so you can't replay the miniflan or the Blitz squadron mission.

AvecAloes

Donator
I can't wait to try Gilgamesh! I haven't even bought Jihl's DLC yet, so I'll probably just try to use some other strategy that doesn't include her, obviously, but I'm glad you said something about what happens when you stagger him. I feel I went into a lot of the previous DLC battles blind and therefore had more trouble than I should have (still haven't beaten Ultros/Typhon, but schoolwork has gotten in the way...).

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Fucking game had me at Gilgamesh. Holy shit.

And what the fuck is with Pupu?! Are they hostile now?! LOL

I have to say this game...really looks to be awesome.

Splintered

unsavory tart
So. Here I am not having bought Ultros+Typhoon, Gilgamesh, and Pupu. I don't have that many points left, so someone who's played them, can they recc which one I should get? Which one is the most fun to play against?

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I know that the Ghouls in Academia 400 will give me the appropriate level 3 monster materials, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to get back to them.

You have to close the gate, which rewinds time and for the most part acts as if you've just started the chapter. That's the only way to get the Ghouls back. I am not sure where the fragment that does that is located. To close a gate you press L or R 1.

Don't you basically restart the game, if you "lock" New Bodhum's place?

You can if you want to go through it all. Thing is, you have the fragments as well as you have the treasures, unless you missed them. Once you've gotten through the area again, you can either unlock everything again (L or R 1 again) or go through the next area and so forth.

Aqua

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Shiala, Bulma, Choco-Lightning
Don't have much money left in my wallet on PSN and I won't be able to fill it up until my next paycheck :( Dunno what to get.

Maybe Gilgamesh first? Bawww can't decide ;~;

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I think you should, Mog. I wasn't really excited about the game when it came close to coming out. Then I played the demo, and it looked interesting enough to keep me kind of excited. Then I got the game, and loved it.

Give it a chance. You may like it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Telling me that I probably should play a game I already spent hard money on isn't really a selling argument for the game. So it's a...no?

Did you read the rest of my post? I was being facetious, why wouldn't play a game you already spent hard money on?

I like it so far, it's fun. But I liked 13 and Tres really seems to have problems with it so I was also trying to be conservative.

Aqua

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Shiala, Bulma, Choco-Lightning
:FFFUUU:

Just spent the last 3 hours taking down Gilgamesh. I spent the first 2 hours whittling down his HP from 9,999,999 to 2,999,999 with Wound at which point it stops working. :( He powers up here and starts using Vendetta whenever the hell he wants, heads up because staggering won't trigger it anymore. He also gains the ability to combo attack. Excalipoor is his "best" combo for the player because it only has three attacks and ends with Masamune (or Murasa, I forget) and is therefore the least damaging. The rest can hurt quite bad. He also starts using Cross Slash after he uses Vendetta (there seems to be about a 10-15 second window here so heads up)

So I spent the next hour getting him down to 1.3 million HP only for him to power up and use "Enhance Power", starts glowing and uses what I can only assume is his Feral Link skill Divider (it could also be Cross Slash but I think it's Divider for now). Unless you're in Sentinel mode (and you most certainly probably won't be) it's pretty much an instant kill for nearly every Serah, Noel or the pet you're currently using. It's an instantaneous attack that freezes your ability to switch paradigms and takes off about 12,000HP.

And he never stops from there. He'll use Divider over and over and over and his attacks will not stop at all. There is no reprieve. He'll use Cross Slash still but that still comes after Vendetta and he uses Vendetta rarely at this point. In the 15 minutes I was fumbling around trying to stay alive and get some attacks in hoping he'd just wear himself out or something, I only got him down another 50,000HP before he did another Divider (which turns out is CONAL so watch out there...) and killed off Serah and Lightning. Noel's HP had only been around 300 when this happened so it was game over at that point. Gilgamesh immediately cut that HP down without trying before I could even gain control of him.

I'm gonna have to rethink my strat and paradigms but on the plus side, a delicate white cape and a white cape is more than enough to nearly completely nullify fog from landing on Noel or Serah so there's that.

Just so annoyed right now that I lost in those last moments after all that time... x_x I should've brought a COM instead of a RAV

AvecAloes

Donator
:FFFUUU:

Just spent the last 3 hours taking down Gilgamesh. I spent the first 2 hours whittling down his HP from 9,999,999 to 2,999,999 with Wound at which point it stops working. :( He powers up here and starts using Vendetta whenever the hell he wants, heads up because staggering won't trigger it anymore. He also gains the ability to combo attack. Excalipoor is his "best" combo for the player because it only has three attacks and ends with Masamune (or Murasa, I forget) and is therefore the least damaging. The rest can hurt quite bad. He also starts using Cross Slash after he uses Vendetta (there seems to be about a 10-15 second window here so heads up)

So I spent the next hour getting him down to 1.3 million HP only for him to power up and use "Enhance Power", starts glowing and uses what I can only assume is his Feral Link skill Divider (it could also be Cross Slash but I think it's Divider for now). Unless you're in Sentinel mode (and you most certainly probably won't be) it's pretty much an instant kill for nearly every Serah, Noel or the pet you're currently using. It's an instantaneous attack that freezes your ability to switch paradigms and takes off about 12,000HP.

And he never stops from there. He'll use Divider over and over and over and his attacks will not stop at all. There is no reprieve. He'll use Cross Slash still but that still comes after Vendetta and he uses Vendetta rarely at this point. In the 15 minutes I was fumbling around trying to stay alive and get some attacks in hoping he'd just wear himself out or something, I only got him down another 50,000HP before he did another Divider (which turns out is CONAL so watch out there...) and killed off Serah and Lightning. Noel's HP had only been around 300 when this happened so it was game over at that point. Gilgamesh immediately cut that HP down without trying before I could even gain control of him.

I'm gonna have to rethink my strat and paradigms but on the plus side, a delicate white cape and a white cape is more than enough to nearly completely nullify fog from landing on Noel or Serah so there's that.

Just so annoyed right now that I lost in those last moments after all that time... x_x I should've brought a COM instead of a RAV

3 hours?!? I'd have given up after 20-30 minutes, tops. How frustrating!

Top Bottom