Final Fantasy XIII-2

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Well she is gonna be a recruit-able Colosseum character and getting DLC episodes.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
... BIG BREATH ...

ONE MORE WEEK UNTIL NORTH AMERICA'S RELEASE OF FINAL FANTASY XIII-2!!!

ONE MORE WEEK AND ABOUT SIXTY ODD HOURS UNTIL EUROPE'S RELEASE!!!

I STILL HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!

I thought I'd keep to some sort of announcement pattern here. ^_^

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I feel your pain, Tenny. I only just started playing the first "inFamous" today. I'm way behind on all the great games out there.

Thankfully, knowing XIII-2 is a disappointment makes one less that I have to bother with.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I... Am still on the fence about XIII-2 myself. I paid for it, I've pre-ordered it, all's taken care of but to pick it up and play it myself.

My concern is with the story.

XIII's story was okay; there are places where I wish it expanded and explained more, but overall it was something I was able to follow without a problem. Honestly, I didn't think there was a question of "was Lightning really happy?" Sadly, I didn't care too much either.

Still, she was smiling at the end! They all were. Sadly Fang and Vanille were once again crystallized, but... I never thought that would last forever, just as it didn't in the past.

Game play in XIII? I'll agree was disappointing with less ability to explore and freedom to actually expand game play (Crystarium, Weapon and Accessory enhancement/growth). Still, I wasn't as bothered by that as some other players were.

But, after watching some of the streams of people playing the Japanese version... I really feel like everyone's griping for 'more freedom' and 'less linearity' has gotten us a mish-mash of a time-stew that's supposed to be a story. Again, I knew it was going to happen, the complaining was going to bite us all in the butt.

I could be very wrong, and the native version could very well put to ease these doubts and the apprehension I have... Still... I just don't know.

And downloadable content, while something I personally have no problem with, seems to be a sorry cop-out for what we get of the game initially. Eh. I feel more and better could have been done with the DISK we have to buy for a good deal of money.

I'm excited though. :P

Square Enix also plans the story outside of the game with things such as novels including Sazh, Dajh, and Chocolina

Yeah, but will they translate it for us? Or, once again, do we have to clamor to the good nature and selflessness of others who can translate for us?

I appreciate hito, but really... We're lucky we've not seen a bill.

Splintered

unsavory tart
DLC with Chocolina?

I'm calling it, she's Etros. There's no way she can be everywhere like that unless she had super powers.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
DLC with Chocolina?

I'm calling it, she's Etros. There's no way she can be everywhere like that unless she had super powers.

chocolina is a time lord

new season of doctor who matt smith regenerates into a feathered woman and tells everyone to have a fantabulous day

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yes, Arianna, DLC is a sorry copout for a lack of initial content. Everyone's buying a seriously incomplete game, and then will have to pay more for stuff that should have been there from the start.

Arianna said:
Yeah, but will they translate it for us? Or, once again, do we have to clamor to the good nature and selflessness of others who can translate for us?

I feel like we know the answer already. =(

DLC with Chocolina?

Unless the novel(s) they're talking about is/are DLC, I doubt it.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Tres said:
Everyone's buying a seriously incomplete game, and then will have to pay more for stuff that should have been there from the start.

game companies have been using this ploy since the invention of DLC
are you just joining us now hi

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
And they have been called on their bullshit. Just because some shitheads do it doesn't mean it's ok and it should be accepted as the norm now.

What kind of fucked up logic is this, yo?

Not to mention that what FFXIII-2 is doing is something different. They give you a basic set up and tell you that your pay off won't be in the game you just bought for 70 bucks. It doesn't even finish the story it started with. It's one thing to expand or reveal something extra in DLC and quite another to say that the character you've been touting as your primary one won't be addressed unless you shell out even more money.

I got inFamous for free and I still haven't gotten very far on it. :P
Me too. But that's cause I don't actually like it :\

Last edited:

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Noel is easily the most likeable part of the game for me. He's not a great character by any means, but he's not as bad as the rest of the cast he's stuck with, so he stands out as the good one.

It's a good thing he leads pretty much the entire story, despite what the opening with Lightning/Serah would have one believe.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

I agree with OWD. I feel that XIII-2 has taken it to new, unacceptable depths, particularly because of how Lightning is the central focus in the marketing of this thing, and then doesn't get much screentime except for in a possible DLC -- and I say possible, because I'm not even going to count that until it's actually released.

Look at what happened with the Official Quests for Dissidia 012.

Not only did they never see the shores of a country other than Japan, but all but three or four of the 20 were pointless repetition of things already discussed or shown in Dissidia and Dissidia 012. Added to that, SE just stopped working on them at a certain point. Didn't even bother tying up the loose ends people thought were worth investigating further.

Sure, we finally got to see where Kain took Squall out of cycle 012, but we never saw when he did it to Cecil and the Onion Knight -- even though one of the scenarios included a sparring match between Cecil and Kain. A complete waste of time, and a missed opportunity there.

But at least we got yet another scene where one of the guys (Cecil) had to step in and save Terra's ass, right? :monster: Still can't believe how useless they made her out to be.

Anyway, getting back on the topic, I know DLC is commonplace these days, but I really can't think of anything like this that has come before. I hate how cynical I'm sounding these days when it comes to FF. =(

Catherine

coquettish cat
AKA
Itsuki, Vanille, Meruru, Catherine.
The Chocolina thingy is a novel, not a DLC lol
I would love a DLC with her though, omg

Regarding Lightning's DLC, that could be amazing, but I hope we actually get to play as her in her XIII-2 outfit.

Fangu

Great Old One
Re: latest pages - this is making me a bit sad. I mean I'll still get the game and play it before making my mind up, but from what I hear, my initial excitement about this game (which was moar Lightning & gang) is almost gone. What I now look forward to is Noel and the new gameplay stuff we're getting. I'm walking into this as it's a totally new FF game, I think it's the only way to not be dissapointed.

Shakarian

dem titans
AKA
Palumpolum, Jack the Ripper, Colonel AI, laurash65, Re-L Mayer
Lightning DLC = do want :awesome:

Anyone know if Hope will get a scenario yet? :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
"was Lightning really happy?"
what that supposed to be in this game

because they seemed to miss that point completely when they finished the story did i say finished oops

It reminds me of The Empire Strikes Back. Where you've just learnt a big shocking secret and have to go save your friend with your new robot hand, but there's still a shit load of stuff left unresolved and you're left just looking out of a space window into space when the credits roll. See you in a couple of years for the rest of it lolz

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
It reminds me of The Empire Strikes Back. Where you've just learnt a big shocking secret and have to go save your friend with your new robot hand, but there's still a shit load of stuff left unresolved and you're left just looking out of a space window into space when the credits roll. See you in a couple of years for the rest of it lolz

i like to think this is pretty much how majority of the fandom reacted in 1980

WHAT THE FUCK SO HE'S CARBONITE LUKE LOST A HAND WAIT DARTH VADER IS HIS FATHER WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT LUCAS YOU CAN'T LEAVE IT LIKE THAT FUCK

god if 4chan & tumblr had existed in the 80s the internet would have taken a massive shit

Fangu

Great Old One
i like to think this is pretty much how majority of the fandom reacted in 1980

WHAT THE FUCK SO HE'S CARBONITE LUKE LOST A HAND WAIT DARTH VADER IS HIS FATHER WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT LUCAS YOU CAN'T LEAVE IT LIKE THAT FUCK

god if 4chan & tumblr had existed in the 80s the internet would have taken a massive shit
I saw that movie on TV for the first time when I was 13 or something and reacted in the exact same way. Like WTF END ON THAT? WHAAT?! And I didn't even have to wait 3 years, more like a week, but still.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
...regenerates into a feathered woman and tells everyone to have a fantabulous day

And - has a really surprising English voice. Not bad, just not what I thought.

... and ...

Not to mention that what FFXIII-2 is doing is something different. They give you a basic set up and tell you that your pay off won't be in the game you just bought for 70 bucks. It doesn't even finish the story it started with. It's one thing to expand or reveal something extra in DLC and quite another to say that the character you've been touting as your primary one won't be addressed unless you shell out even more money.

*shake head* :(

Not happy about this. I mean, for $50 (for the game itself), they should have given a complete game. Oh but wait, they did, buuuuuuttt....

Noel is easily the most likeable part of the game for me. He's not a great character by any means, but he's not as bad as the rest of the cast he's stuck with, so he stands out as the good one.

*nod*

I agree with OWD. I feel that XIII-2 has taken it to new, unacceptable depths, particularly because of how Lightning is the central focus in the marketing of this thing, and then doesn't get much screentime except for in a possible DLC -- and I say possible, because I'm not even going to count that until it's actually released.

Anyway, getting back on the topic, I know DLC is commonplace these days, but I really can't think of anything like this that has come before. I hate how cynical I'm sounding these days when it comes to FF. =(

Why in the world do they pull this. Oh wait! More money.

I want to name a flower creature Flitter, not Flapper! :(

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
People keep on making silly complaints about the demo online...

"I hate the moogle, he shouldn't be speaking."

uhm, play FF6 & FF9. They spoke/ Mog spoke.

" I hate the moogle, moogle's don't say Kupo all the time "

uhm, you sure you're played Final Fantasy games ?

" Random battles ? Eww, go back to the FF12 style "

They're not really random battles because you can run away before the battle even begins xD

Also does anybody else find it really annoying, how most people hated Hope and called him emo and whiny etc and now fangirls are like " OMG I LOVE HOPE, HE'S SO HAWT, HE'S MY FAVORITE FF13 GUY ".

Seems kinda shallow imho xD

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Well, here you guys go, the latest update regarding XIII-2

http://andriasang.com/comzrg/xiii2_toriyama/

• XIII-2's development progressed more according to plan than XIII.
  • Toriyama is happy that the gameplay systems are being well received.
  • The game originally had a system where you could strengthen your accessories, but this made your character too strong, so they got rid of it.
  • As detailed earlier, the game will see series bosses for coliseum mode outside of the Omega download that kicked off DLC.
  • Lightning will appear in the game as a coliseum opponent download. Defeat her, and you can make her into a party member. Her role is blaster.
  • They hope to continue releasing download content through May.
  • The DLC will include things outside of the coliseum battles -- episodes, for instance.
  • Outside of download content, the game will have updates which will add new support functionality for those digging deep into the game.
  • Toriyama said that they'd like to use Sazh, his son Dajh and interdimensional traveling merchant Chocholina in some capacity, either through novels or DLC.

Lightning is basically a 'monster'. :P lol

Also, new OTP!!! Sazh and Chocolina!!! :D

Great. So XIII-2 was planned to be the way it is. :doh: >_>

Lastly - now what about the game STORY, Toriyama-san?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
You're not doing to hear much in depth about the story in some random interview in a magazine. Maybe when the Ultimanias are out at the end of the month, but not really anywhere else.

Top Bottom