Final Fantasy XIII Spoiler Thread (SPOILERS)

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I recently bought a Xbox One X and FFXIII was one of the first games in my shopping cart. Played through it twice in the past, which is saying a lot because it's a pretty linear 45 hour game. There isn't much need to play it again unless you want to re-experience the story.

Oddly, XIII remains my second favorite Final Fantasy. And I only like the first game in the trilogy, I don't care for where they took the story in XIII-2. To me the music, art style, and story all go great together, and I enjoy the well balanced gameplay throughout. In fact, its only fault is that it's too balanced and there's consequently no room for player creativity. I'm fine with linear exploration, but if only the combat had opened up a bit more. Would've been a 10/10 slam dunk for me.

Oh well! Still love it.

Last edited:

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
When the game was still "fresh" I saw a vid where someone lost to Bart when he had like .1% hp left lol.

I recently bought a Xbox One X and FFXIII was one of the first games in my shopping cart. Played through it twice in the past, which is saying a lot because it's a pretty linear 45 hour game. There isn't much need to play it again unless you want to re-experience the story.

Oddly, XIII remains my second favorite Final Fantasy. And I only like the first game in the trilogy, I don't care for where they took the story in XIII-2. To me the music, art style, and story all go great together, and I enjoy the well balanced gameplay throughout. In fact, its only fault is that it's too balanced and there's consequently no room for player creativity. I'm fine with linear exploration, but if only the combat had opened up a bit more. Would've been a 10/10 slam dunk for me.

Oh well! Still love it.

I agree with that. The things that it did bless us with that I really enjoyed were the music, Snow, Caius/Yeul stuff, The Ending(my absolute fav), and the Novellas.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I remember these pics in the datalog entries. Were these in any section of the ultimania? If so, can someone attach them? I'd like to use them for a painting

Attachments

• ff13.png
    ff13.png
    300.1 KB · Views: 9

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
One chapter into the game, I have super mixed feelings and a dozen stupid questions, but that's okay for a start, I guess.

The textures haven't aged perfectly, but the character models still look fantastic. The camera makes me dizzy, the linearity makes me feel a bit claustophobic, Lightning being an ex-soldier will never get less funny.

I officially declare Vanille the most annoying character in the whole FF franchise. The girl probably knows more than she lets out, but she puts up a front and is being childish, loud, and pushy, and ugh just unbearable.

Lebreau has a really cool character design, I hope I'll see her again.

Oh, and I'm quite puzzled by the fact that Snow's coat looks different in fields and in battles. I wonder it there's any reason for that.

So far so good, moving on :wacky:

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
Aaah 13. I actually love the battle system, and force myself to be interested in the characters through elaborate headcanons about who fancies who, but I struggle with the whole game feeling like a straight goddamn line...

Vanille's voice acting truly is something else.

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
I started 13 again some time back and I realized how much I hated how the hits lacked "crunch" the way Cloud's sword in remake feels so crunchy and heavy hitting. Lightening's sword cutting through enemies feels so wimpy in comparison.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
One is a big fat sword and the other is an average one hand size sword, they don't give the same feedback.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Oh, and I'm quite puzzled by the fact that Snow's coat looks different in fields and in battles. I wonder it there's any reason for that.
snow's weapons/equipment are coats iirc, so it changes appearance in battle like the other characters' weapons do

i'm tempted to replay the series on ps3 now :sadpanda: idk if my laptop would handle the pc versions and i don't have an xbox/game pass (unless these will be on that new ps+ tier)

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
I played it during lockdown on my xbox 360 which I still have for some reason and my god the loading times...

Also didn't finish it, got to the bit where you can choose to continue to the end or grind away at side quests and I chose the side quests and got bored...

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The girl probably knows more than she lets out, but she puts up a front and is being childish, loud, and pushy, and ugh just unbearable

You have no idea.

Really surprised you haven't said anything about Hope lol

The 180 XIII takes midway through is quite memorable. I do hope you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
When I first tried to play it when it originally released I was 18 and hated Hope. This time around I was 29 and loved the precious murder baby. I was fully rooting for him to
kill snow

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Snow half asset rebellion and leadership being the cause of Hope's mother death is not motivation enough?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Snow's rebellion wasn't half ass though. Not sure what better plan and preparation you can make for an unscheduled and widespread ethnic cleansing out of nowhere lol
Hope's motivation is immature & misguided. Because he's a child. A literal spoiled, pampered, immature child born in a utopia. And that's the point. He's lost everything and in order to cope he copied Lightning and held onto aggression and hate. And that's how Lightning realizes just fighting ceaselessly isn't a way to live life either.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Sure. But it still would have been easier to go along with if they made it so he couldn't clearly see what happened and made an assumption as opposed to just...ignoring what he saw.

Snow half asset rebellion and leadership being the cause of Hope's mother death is not motivation enough?

The cause? He specifically told her NOT to fight and she insisted. Also PSICOM was going to kill them all anyway.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hope doesn't have the benefit of a close up shot of Snow's grip slipping. He's watching from 50 yards away, he sees the bridge blow up, he sees Snow catch Nora and then let her go. He has no way to know that was involuntary.

Plus he's not really operating on logic in the first place. That's the thing about XIII, all our leads have the motivations they say they have, and their actual motivations, and it's easy to mix them up.

Is Lightning the ex soldier funny because FF7, or some other reason?

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
The funny thing is that I watched a lot of FF13 analytics back in 2020 because I thought okay now I've got so much free time in lockdown I may just as well catch up on some titles I missed. And now I don't remember ANY of those :mon: Pro tip: never watch analytical reviews unless you've already experienced the game yourself, because they'll be totally useless in the long run.

I'm halfway through Chapter 2, and I'm not very happy with the pacing. The gameplay keeps jumping from one team to another and doesn't give much room to bond with the characters through exploration. I understand this chunk of the game is designed this way in order to bring the main characters together as soon as possible, but it still feels a bit too rushed to me. The number of new names has doubled by now, and I feel kinda lost. The number of stupid questions that arise has doubled, too.

Really surprised you haven't said anything about Hope lol
There wasn't much to say at that point, lol. He's obviously a deeply shocked and easily manipulated teenager who hasn't found a way to cope with the tragedy yet, but this weird ultra sweet girl encourages him to find a target (Snow, that is) and channel all his aggression that way. Did it help him carry on in the short term? Definitely. Was it a healthy way to cope? Definitely not.

Loading screen to Chapter 2 said:
It was Snow who convinced his mother to fight. It was Snow she was protecting when she died. And it is Snow who must be made to pay.
He specifically told her NOT to fight and she insisted.
Exactly! It was one of the dudes in the crowd who suggested they should fight too, and she volunteered. From the cinematic viewpoint, even 50 yards away, what we saw is almost exactly what Hope saw, because the camera immediately zooms into his screaming face. No wonder at first I was sort of unaware of what exactly Hope wanted to tell Snow so urgently. But again, if it hadn't been for Vanille, he wouldn't have started pursuing Snow. I don't understand why she sympathizes with him so much. But don't tell me, I hope I find that out eventually.

Is Lightning the ex soldier funny because FF7, or some other reason?
Because FF7, yeah. If you are new to 13, the first time you see the protagonist you can't help thinking that oh she's so cool and collected, oh she reminds me of someone, spiky hair, a turtleneck shirt, and then Sazh calls her a soldier, and she's like "I was a soldier". Too many striking parallels for the first few minutes of the game.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
The funny thing is that I watched a lot of FF13 analytics back in 2020 because I thought okay now I've got so much free time in lockdown I may just as well catch up on some titles I missed. And now I don't remember ANY of those :mon: Pro tip: never watch analytical reviews unless you've already experienced the game yourself, because they'll be totally useless in the long run.

I'm halfway through Chapter 2, and I'm not very happy with the pacing. The gameplay keeps jumping from one team to another and doesn't give much room to bond with the characters through exploration. I understand this chunk of the game is designed this way in order to bring the main characters together as soon as possible, but it still feels a bit too rushed to me. The number of new names has doubled by now, and I feel kinda lost. The number of stupid questions that arise has doubled, too.

There wasn't much to say at that point, lol. He's obviously a deeply shocked and easily manipulated teenager who hasn't found a way to cope with the tragedy yet, but this weird ultra sweet girl encourages him to find a target (Snow, that is) and channel all his aggression that way. Did it help him carry on in the short term? Definitely. Was it a healthy way to cope? Definitely not.

Exactly! It was one of the dudes in the crowd who suggested they should fight too, and she volunteered. From the cinematic viewpoint, even 50 yards away, what we saw is almost exactly what Hope saw, because the camera immediately zooms into his screaming face. No wonder at first I was sort of unaware of what exactly Hope wanted to tell Snow so urgently. But again, if it hadn't been for Vanille, he wouldn't have started pursuing Snow. I don't understand why she sympathizes with him so much. But don't tell me, I hope I find that out eventually.

Because FF7, yeah. If you are new to 13, the first time you see the protagonist you can't help thinking that oh she's so cool and collected, oh she reminds me of someone, spiky hair, a turtleneck shirt, and then Sazh calls her a soldier, and she's like "I was a soldier". Too many striking parallels for the first few minutes of the game.
Plus a goddamn scorpion machine, plus Light uses a sword and Sazh guns, plus they arrive in a train, catching the soldiers off-guard, plus... fucking Avalanche aka Team Nora with a bulky leader type.

Top Bottom