Forspoken [aka Project Athia]

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Part of me is so happy that Whedonspeak is slowly becoming toxic to audiences at this point because I've hated it so much for a long awhile, but also part of me is sad because now anything even adjacent to Whedonspeak is toxic even if it doesn't mean to be :monster:

Reactions: LNK

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's not nonsense. It's been discussed and chronicled for years. And it first gained prominence in 1997, with, coincidentally, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The dialogue in Marvel-Disney movies has been indelibly impacted by Whedon's influence, and it's permeated pop culture film/video games in general. That's why it's so well known. People aren't making it up. It's why people recognize it so explicitly and have now formed reactions to it. I would say it's ignoring reality to think it's just some sort of phenomenon everyone's imagined. Irreverent, self-aware, humorous dialogue has always existed yes, but it's become less subversive and now arguably the norm, much to the chagrin of a lot of people.

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Being overly meta tends to be a writing weakness, means you can't hold things up using internal logic... but... this is a trailer, where they're summing up the situation. They need to have expositiony lines, because that's what the trailer is for.

Edit: It's actually perfectly appropriate here, she's in a completely new world she's not familiar, she doesn't know the right words for things and has to improvise. The parodies are missing the point, predictably enough.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i have not properly gone back to buffy, something that i loved growing up (i found a buffy shot glass i got when i was like 14 and didn't drink) although never finished because i stopped getting the channel that showed it and couldn't afford buying it all. but i do wonder how i would react to it now at this point in my life

as the brain worms continue to devour my mind, i am now also annoyed by the opening 'so let me get this straight' line. previously the only line i didn't have a complaint about lol

saying 'let me get this straight' normally proceeds a concise explanation or summary of something and seeks clarification/confirmation. "so let me get this straight. you, a hobbit, have to take this magical ring all the way to mordor and throw it into mount doom to destroy it? and you're just going to walk right into mordor?"

but i don't feel it works here. nothing is being clarified or cleared up, it's just listing a bunch of unexplained things. is she trying to explain the things she's experiencing by just... naming the things with no explanation? i'm trying to imagine the conversation around it but it's a struggle. what's the other person meant to say? "yes, you have observed those things." is she meant to be doubting the things she is seeing? are you not talking to a cuff or seeing freaking dragons?

if it had started with something else like "what the hell is going on, i'm somewhere that's not earth...." that expresses confusion, i felt it would work better with the rest of the dialogue. or if the rest of the dialogue was different so it sounded more like a request for confirmation/clarification ("let me get this straight. i've been transported to somewhere that's not earth, there's freaking dragons flying around, and a sentient cuff is talking to me?"). i think it would flow better although i still don't like the rest of the dialogue (why are you 'seeing' dragons? does no one else see them? are they not really there? are you 'seeing-seeing' dragons and this game is actually a monster fucking dating sim?)

this trailer has been covertly designed to break certain people's brains and i'm sorry, i am one of those broken people

some of the quote tweets are criticising the strong reaction to this compared with other things, pointing out that this has a black woman as the lead. i'm wary to jump on these sort of things because there's often a big current of complaining about how 'woke' something is. and i don't really want to contribute to that because i don't have a problem with it. i just don't like the words being spoken here.

i don't mind that they redid ghostbusters with an all-female cast. keep on changing the genders and race of characters for reboots to be more diverse, go hog wild. but also, i wasn't that interested in seeing the lady ghostbusters film because i didn't like the kind of improvy comedy vibe it seemed to be going for (and i've been generally ambivalent about remakes/reboots until something really catches my eye).

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Best gameplay showcase so far. Looks very polished, smooth and fun.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I remember people were “cringing” at FF7R trailers regarding the dialogue. Turned out just fine in the end

Hard disagree here, the lines from the trailers that have major Kingdom Hearts are all from the parts of the game where everyone is speaking in Kingdom Hearts ?

Edit: ah, there’s actually news, that’s why the thread has been bumped! Didn’t watch much of the new trailer, think I’m gonna pick this one up and don’t wanna spoil too much.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Wow. This definitely looks like FFXV's Luminous Engine, except even further refined and polished.

This game honestly looks good. Like, people were dragging her dialogue before but who gives a shit?

Her fighting and movements are incredible. S-E managed something amazing here, I definitely feel a sense of hype for this!

Reactions: Wol

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
Yeah, the concept looks cool - go zoomies and do parkour.

Wish they were giving away nail sticker sheets w/the designs you get in game - "I have stick-on PlayStation symbol nails" would be fun lol.

Reactions: Wol

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
New previews:

Playstation Blog: How Forspoken fuses fast-paced spellcasting and magic-imbued parkour for its combat thrills
The Gamer: Excellent Combat Held Back By A Terrible Personality
Planetadora: Forspoken is a messy, interesting action-RPG from ex-Final Fantasy devs
Gamespot: Forspoken's Speed And Simplicity Make You A Spidey-Like Sorcerer
VG247: Say what you like about Forspoken, it’s an exceptional advert for the PS5
Press Star Australia: FORSPOKEN HANDS-ON PREVIEW – THE MOST FUN I’VE HAD FLINGING SPELLS
Polygon: Behind the wisecracks, Forspoken is a messy, interesting action-RPG
IGN: Forspoken Has A Lot More Going For it Than You Think
Gamesradar: Forspoken combat is a barrage of layered spells that reflect the best of Breath of the Wild

-----
You can adjust the in-game exchange between Frey and cuff from the accessibility menu.
The main story will be 30-40hs long.

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
Played the demo last night.

You start off on level 17 and Frey has 2 kinds of magic (her magic and a Tanta's melee fire magic; I guess you've defeated 1 of them by this point and obtained her magic). Then the demo gives you a few objectives to complete in the zone. It felt kinda weird to play until I figured out that you could charge a ranged spell while moving and kiting. I was pretty clumsy with the controls (I kept hitting L1 oops).

With magic, you can infinitely spam it with R2, but you can only have 1 spell selected at a time and you have to bring up the interface to swap between spells. (E.g. when those dumb ass flying birds appear then you get out the earth element machine gun.) L2 is forced to be your supportive spell, which you can't spam cause they go on cooldown. Tbh, I wish you could just bind both R2 + L2 to be magic and not be force to equip a support skill??? I think it's clunky to have to open up the menu and swap to another magic. This drove me nuts in Valkyrie Elysium too cause you wanna hit elemental weaknesses in that game.

You can customize the game's difficulty pretty in-depth. The "auto-select support spell" one might be worthwhile for the full game so you aren't having to fucking open up the menu and swap to another support spell every time the one you selected goes on cooldown.

1670607349369.png

Also you............... can choose between imperial or metric.

1670607250733.png

Top Bottom