Forspoken [aka Project Athia]

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Square Enix needs a W and something to raise their public good will again. So I too think XVI would be best lol :monster:

Reactions: Wol

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
kind of a weird scene to show, but it looks and sounds really good!

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I mean, wasn't this dialogue featured in a past trailer already? What's so new

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
I don't know if the dialogue is "bad", but I do find it very cringe and am completely put off the game.

Reactions: Ite

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

Okay, what the fuck is wrong with people?

....Am I losing my mind? Is there something inherently, insanely bad about this dialogue? Because the vitriolic criticism about a few lines here is really bizarre to me. What the actual fuck?

dunno, there's a lot of weird "look at that bitch eating crackers"-energy directed at Forspoken, I'm puzzled too

D

Deleted member 13557

Cringe is one of the most overused words in the English language, especially when critiquing entertainment. I’m at the point where the word cringe makes me cringe.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
We’ll have to think up of another word that conveys the same feeling so that folks can start expanding their vocabulary when critiquing media. Thesaurus to the rescue!

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i have to admit that i don't like that bit of dialogue. i haven't followed this, i've seen images and the boxart being advertised for what feels like forever but i think i only watched one trailer and i don't remember any dialogue in it. but i remember i did like some of the art design. i just hadn't formed any strong opinions on it yet.

for me, what's unappealing about the dialogue is it feels like generic, quippy, modern action movie dialogue. the kind of homogenised scriptwriting where you're not taking yourself, the situation or the story too seriously. like you're afraid to be sincere to what you're making. at least without pointing out "whoa see that, that's crazy" first. i'm sure it will have drama in the narrative and scenes that are played straight, but then bam. lines to reassure you that the character is self-aware. she knows this is some wacky circumstances. she's got one-liners. it's giving "they fly now!" (and not just because the last line is about flying), it's giving "so that just happened!" (and not just because one line is "yeah okay that's something i do now").

it's a type of dialogue that has gone from being maybe a signature style of certain writers to a ubiquitous feature of modern entertainment.

and generally/as a personal preference, i don't really like the word choices ("freaking dragons" "jacked-up beasts" and starting a sentence with "and... oh yeah! [describe crazy wacky thing]" and the "yeah okay that's something i do now" one, "somewhere that's not what i would call earth" feels overwritten). honestly, i hope that audio was just for the trailer and she's not just stopping to describe her own situation to someone else. or worse, talking like that to herself (and by extension the player). who you clarifying this with, sweaty. we all saw the dragons right there on the screen, you don't have to tell us.

the more time passes, i just hate that "i'm seeing freaking dragons" line so much it's bordering on irrational. it triggered something in my lizard brain or some secret sleeper code phrase.

also is it another isekai. do i need to get a spray bottle and point it at devs like you're trying to stop a cat misbehaving. although, while i've not played the full game yet, at least stranger of paradise seemed to have a goofy earnestness.

maybe it's a thing, though not inherent, about having a protagonist who isn't part of the world. i am currently replaying xenosaga episode 1, a game that takes itself Very Seriously. but the characters are part of that world, there's no outsider around to go "okay, so that freaky transparent alien monster thing turned that guy into SALT just now!" characters are allowed to be genuinely terrified without it being filtered through having to make a quirky remark as well because they've just seen something new. idk there's just something nice about having stories that are willing to be what they are.

i am going to stop rambling but if a lot of the mc's dialogue is that this i am going to be put off tbh.

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
I find that clip of Forspoken jarring because it is clearly intended to come off as "modern real person reacting to being in an isekai" but none of those sentences sound like things a real person around her age would say.

I imagine the phrase "I'm seeing dragons" sounds unnatural to Americans because we use tend to use it in phrases like, "I'm seeing someone" as in dating (is she dating the Freaking Dragons?), or "I'm seeing Morbius tomorrow because I hate myself".

Top Bottom