Guest Characters in Remake

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
Compilation or Guest Characters in Remake

I am surprised there wasn't already a thread about this topic.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-may-see-areas-characters-spinoffs/

Now I need to ask, what is everyone's though about this? When I first heard about this rumor I really didn't like the idea at first. But now that time has gone by I could see myself accepting guest characters from other FF games. The two guest characters that may show up as of now are likely Lighting(XIII) and Auron(X). Lighting is pretty obvious, but Auron was specifically though to have been shown in the background of the the teaser trailer at E3 2015.

z8HlduN.jpg

iLiSKFX.jpg

That second picture really clears it up right? Edit- Seriously now that I get a better look who else could that be? Square made it a point to show a bit of red for a background character in this teaser.

Since Final Fanatsay 7 already has it's story completed and the original has been out now, I actually wouldn't mind see guest characters. As long as they don't participate in cut-scenes or change the story completely in someway that it becomes canon over the OG.

TITLED EDITED.

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I dunno, I mean if it was like an easter egg it'd be ok EG: Theres a magazine in a house in the slums with a picture of Lightning or something. But having characters walking about in FFVII universe would be a bit jarring.

And yeah, although that guy looks a bit like Auron it's still more likely that its just a guy with a high collared red coat. I mean, how many hundreds of characters have been in FF? There are bound to be similarities.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
Save the guest characters for Fan Fiction. FF7 didn't have guests in 1997, and it should not, under any circumstances, have guest characters today

Vito

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I can accept a doll or magazine, hell even a skin after beating the game but to actually have them as NPC's?

Nah.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I already have visions of Lightning making a guest appearence in FFXV, so I think it's a bad idea to have other FF characters appear in FFVIIRemake.

If I want guest characters in the game, I want some from the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII to make guest or cameo appearences.

SeaDragon

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Sjödraken
I don't see the need to insert them. Maybe some easter egg but nothing else ..At this rate, we will see really Lightning (npc, cameo, easter egg or whatever) in every game. Square stop.

Last edited:

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I'm sure we've talked about this before on another thread; just wasn't the focus. Aya Brea is also in it for sure... as a billboard ad.

hian

Purist
Who knows?
I know this though - using the teaser trailer for anything at this point is meaningless since it was made specifically for the reveal and not for the actual game.
Even if that model happened to be Auron, it might just as well be something built off of a old resource they just threw in their to save time, or something they did entirely for the lols.

That being said, couldn't it also be Vincent?

As for whether I am okay with guest characters?
Depending on execution I guess. If we're just talking like NPCs looking like other FF characters appearing in the background various places, then no, I don't mind.
If we're talking Lightning appearing as Lighting, with some sort of role and dialogue etc. no, that would seriously take me out of the experience.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Who knows?
I know this though - using the teaser trailer for anything at this point is meaningless since it was made specifically for the reveal and not for the actual game.
Even if that model happened to be Auron, it might just as well be something built off of a old resource they just threw in their to save time, or something they did entirely for the lols.

That being said, couldn't it also be Vincent?

Yeah, scenes from teaser trailers in movies, games, ect. usually don't appear in the final product of anything.

Plus, it can be likely that Auron might not appear at all, and I doubt that him making that appearence in the teaser trailer has anything to do with the next big project the other team's working on, as I still have doubts about the possible Final Fantasy X-3.

As for Vincent, no, that doesn't make sense, since one, Vincent doesn't wear sunglasses, two, as Cloud and Barret were in Midgar at the time, Vincent was still in his Coffen, sleeping his head off.

As for whether I am okay with guest characters?
Depending on execution I guess. If we're just talking like NPCs looking like other FF characters appearing in the background various places, then no, I don't mind.

Or maybe as a secret appearence sort of thing that has nothing to do with the main storyline. I mean, we are talking about a game, not a movie.

If we're talking Lightning appearing as Lighting, with some sort of role and dialogue etc. no, that would seriously take me out of the experience.

If you mean that you refuse point blank to have Lightning have any connection with FFVII and making her talk like in FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, or something similiar, than I'm with you on that one.

Personally, I don't think Lightning will have any appearence in the Remake, but you never know.

hian

Purist
Yeah, scenes from teaser trailers in movies, games, ect. usually don't appear in the final product of anything.

And plenty of teaser trailers are made up of footage taken from the actual thing it's teasing.
That's not my point. The point here is that Nomura has gone on record stating that he wasn't satisfied with what was done with the trailer, which was outsourced.

Plus, it can be likely that Auron might not appear at all, and I doubt that him making that appearence in the teaser trailer has anything to do with the next big project the other team's working on, as I still have doubts about the possible Final Fantasy X-3.

What's this got to do with anything?

As for Vincent, no, that doesn't make sense, since one, Vincent doesn't wear sunglasses, two, as Cloud and Barret were in Midgar at the time, Vincent was still in his Coffen, sleeping his head off.

Irrelevant. It's a teaser trailer meant to tease the audience, not portray things accurately from the plot.

The teaser trailer already does several things that make no sense, like having kids playing with mock buster swords, weird structural inconsistencies with the Midgar architecture (like the park being above the plate, or building reaching up through the plate, modern subway system etc), references to Edge from Advent Children, and the inclusion of post FFVII avalanche soldiers among other things.

It's completely clear that the teaser trailer is an eclectic combination of random stuff FFVII related meant to mess about with fans and their expectations (which it did on its first screening) - and has almost nothing at all to do with how things are actually going to be in the actual game.

For that reason, the character in the background could just as well be the new Vincent as it could be Auron, or anyone else for that matter.
Also, what's with the shades? I can't see any shades on that model what so ever. In fact, I can't even see its face at all.

Or maybe as a secret appearence sort of thing that has nothing to do with the main storyline. I mean, we are talking about a game, not a movie.

Again, what are you talking about?

If you mean that you refuse point blank to have Lightning have any connection with FFVII and making her talk like in FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, or something similiar, than I'm with you on that one.

I'm not opposed to having a model in the game that looks like Lightning. I'm against Lightning the character, appearing as Lightning in the game, as if she belongs there - kinda like how Cloud and Aerith popped up in FF:Tactics, or how FF characters in general pop up in KH.
That would be horrible.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
And plenty of teaser trailers are made up of footage taken from the actual thing it's teasing.
That's not my point. The point here is that Nomura has gone on record stating that he wasn't satisfied with what was done with the trailer, which was outsourced.

That too, and personally, I wasn't satisfied with what was in the trailer either. Nomura wasn't the only one on that note.

What's this got to do with anything?

Well, FFX fans who saw this and were hoping for a Final Fantasy X-3, from what I found out from a friend of mine, thought that the guy who looked like Auron was a semi-sneak peak to a game that will probably won't happen.

Kinda like how I originally felt that Cloud's appearence in the musical Final Fantasy game(can't remember what it's called), G-Bike, and in KH2.5 in the movie-version of Re:Coded were clues to a new title of the Compilation.

Irrelevant. It's a teaser trailer meant to tease the audience, not portray things accurately from the plot.

The teaser trailer already does several things that make no sense, like having kids playing with mock buster swords, weird structural inconsistencies with the Midgar architecture (like the park being above the plate, or building reaching up through the plate, modern subway system etc), references to Edge from Advent Children, and the inclusion of post FFVII avalanche soldiers among other things.

It's completely clear that the teaser trailer is an eclectic combination of random stuff FFVII related meant to mess about with fans and their expectations (which it did on its first screening) - and has almost nothing at all to do with how things are actually going to be in the actual game.

For that reason, the character in the background could just as well be the new Vincent as it could be Auron, or anyone else for that matter.
Also, what's with the shades? I can't see any shades on that model what so ever. In fact, I can't even see its face at all.

That's true. Trailers can be super confusing, but then again, if people saw trailers that told them the story before actually seeing movies or playing games, then that's obviously a spoiler.

Well, if you find a still image of that part of the scene and squint your eyes or edge closer to the screen of your computer, maybe you can see the model of the guy who looks like Auron better.

Again, what are you talking about?

If you played Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, or Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn, you'd see Julis from "Mickey in Runaway Brain" in a secret boss battle in Traverse Town, and find Lightning as her character in Eorzea where your Avatar player talks to.

Or better say, if you watched Aladdin in your childhood, Sebastion from the Little Mermaid who had no connections with Aladdin made an cameo appearence and both were Disney, so, it's a bit similiar with Final Fantasy characters appearing in titles that have no relation to them.

I'm not opposed to having a model in the game that looks like Lightning. I'm against Lightning the character, appearing as Lightning in the game, as if she belongs there - kinda like how Cloud and Aerith popped up in FF:Tactics, or how FF characters in general pop up in KH.
That would be horrible.

Which was what I thought, and I agree wholeheartedly with you on this. Then again, in regards with FF characters appear in KH, well, KH Franchise is a Disney and Final Fantasy crossover when it started out back in 2002. Why else can you explain that the Kingdom Hearts characters look more of the Final Fantasy side than Disney?

But yes, if Lightning appeared as her character in the Remake of FFVII, that'll be the kiss of death for the game all together. The closest thing to a connection thing is FFX, not FFXIII.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA

Is it that far fetched that replica/toy Buster Swords are a thing? Angeal had a fanclub after all.

And I thought (though I might be wrong) that it had been established that it wasn't the same park - the slide is a seashell shape. The Edge reference was weird but, as it says 'South Edge' I figured that it was just the name of a station on the plate.

I'm not disagreeing overall though :monster:

hian

Purist
Is it that far fetched that replica/toy Buster Swords are a thing? Angeal had a fanclub after all.

Angeal didn't exist in the original narrative. Neither was the buster sword established as some sort of iconic blade.

I think this just furthers the point that the teaser is an eclectic gathering of various elements of the FFVII franchise.

And I thought (though I might be wrong) that it had been established that it wasn't the same park - the slide is a seashell shape.

Of course it's not the same park - simply by virtue of being above the plate.
However, it is similar enough in appearance to raise eye-brows.

The entire trailer is a giant troll move, and I think it's reasonable to assume it was made that way on purpose in order to create the "omg, what is this? Another compilation product? Or is it? OMG IT'S A REMAKE" effect that the trailer clearly inspired in so many of the people who viewed it.

The Edge reference was weird but, as it says 'South Edge' I figured that it was just the name of a station on the plate.

The point is why would any station in Midgar have that name when it's specifically associated with a completely new part built on the edge of Midgar in AC?

Again, everything in that trailer was specifically set up in order to facilitate the impact of the last few seconds when you get to see the old Cloud and Barret followed by the words "Remake".
I think it's almost undeniable that the entire thing was designed expressly for that purpose and nothing else, which is why everything about it sends mixed signals involving various elements from the compilation.

It's not because any of those elements will be that way in the actual remake - but because putting them in the trailer confused the audience long enough to make the impact of the announcement strike twice as hard as it otherwise would, if we'd just been served with some obviously picture by picture remade scenes from the original (like the ones seen in the second trailer, or the old PS3 tech demo).

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I would have assumed that the station on the southern edge of the existing plate would have been called South Edge. There is probably a North, East, and West edge too, and I wouldn't be surprised if that makes it to the final release of the game.

I don't disagree that it was highlighted as a troll move in the trailer, my disagreement is with the idea that it doesn't/couldn't make sense in the context of a remake. Wheras Vincent appearing in Midgar at that stage would be a massive departure from the OG plot, the naming of a station is just additional worldbuilding.

For the record though I don't believe that person is Vincent (the hair is all wrong) or Auron or anyone significant. It's just some dude with a high collar as far as I can tell.

hian

Purist
I would have assumed that the station on the southern edge of the existing plate would have been called South Edge. There is probably a North, East, and West edge too, and I wouldn't be surprised if that makes it to the final release of the game.

I don't disagree that it was highlighted as a troll move in the trailer, my disagreement is with the idea that it doesn't/couldn't make sense in the context of a remake. Wheras Vincent appearing in Midgar at that stage would be a massive departure from the OG plot, the naming of a station is just additional worldbuilding.

For the record though I don't believe that person is Vincent (the hair is all wrong) or Auron or anyone significant. It's just some dude with a high collar as far as I can tell.

I'm not arguing that these things cannot be made sense of. As I've said before, in fiction anything can be made sense of if you just stretch your mind far enough.

Neither am I arguing that this character in the background is Vincent - I'm simply arguing that the trailer is already taking liberties with things for cinematic effect and shock-value, and that it is therefore silly to expect that this trailer was made with the mind-set that the things within it should or would adhere to the actual lore or plot of the finished game.

Having Vincent in Midgar would only be a problem if this trailer consisted of actual footage from the game - it however does not, and so it's a non-issue, much the same as anything else in the trailer is.

My point was also that, since it's almost impossible to make out the character it could just as well be Vincent as it could be Auron, and seeing as how Vincent is actual a FFVII character, unlike Auron, it's more likely if it had to be either of them.

I don't think it actually is Vincent though. Like you, I think it's just a guy in high collar.

hian

Purist
Why are people harping on about one example as if it makes any difference to the larger point?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
What are we talking about?

Lightning might be in FF7:R? Harrumph!

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I'm hoping to see Denzel, Cissnei or even Legend as guests, but that'll never happen.

But NO Lightning or any other FFXIII characters in the Remake. As long as Lightning and the rest of the FFXIII characters stay out of FFVII, I'm happy.

I have to admit, I'd quite like to see Cissnei make a passing appearance, just to put to rest the notion that she quit the Turks after Zack died. I'd quite to see ALL the Turks, but that would mean retconning the retcon.

No Genesis please please

Can't wait to hear Train Man's voice.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
You know letting a few months pass, and completely forgetting I had started this thread... I revert. No guest characters in the Remake from other FF games.

Having just recently replayed FF7 and now playing the New Threat mod(which is amazing, props to Sega Chief) 8 or 9 is plenty.

Even if I may be disagreed with, in the original 8 or 9 is too many. Due to the stats system and source farming the only difference between them is weapons and limits.

This isn't saying the Remake will have this same problem because it won't.

But besides that, there are a lot of other problems regarding other ff characters in Remake.
We have Dissidia for that. No need here.

Genesis and any other characters apart of the compilation aren't Guest Characters. There is a difference.

-Genesis should be nowhere in this Remake besides the flashback sequence due to Crisis Core's retcon. Depending on how Square decides to handle it.

-I'd love to see the other Turks, including Cissnei and actually I'm hoping they show up, but Square needs to be careful with doing so.

-Kunsel and Luxiere are two others I'd really like to see. Much more so Kunsel, I really do question what happens with him. I doubt he is one of the 1st defending Hojo.

Top Bottom