SPOILERS Hard Mode Discussion

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I don't think any game I ever played was good enough to make me actually rewatch the same cutscenes on a second playthrough, specially right after the first playthrough. Hell, my second playthrough of OGVII was pratically 50% me just pressing through the dialogues. I know, don't kill me.

*murders* ;)

For me, replaying an FF is like sitting down with a script of a play and doing a deep-dive analysis of character, plot and theme. FF6-9 makes this very easy because you prompt the dialogue (rather than the scene flowing like a movie). Modern games are more like seeing a production of a play — sure, you can find the script online, but you’ll never get the unique experience of having the script and the performance at the same time. This playthrough, I’ve turned off voices and subtitles and am just enjoying the visuals. Sometimes the characters flap their mouths, but I honestly don’t miss the constant chatter.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
So, you are talking more about the constant chatter of the NPCs and Cloud&Co. than the actual cutscenes themselves?

Ite

AKA
Ite
So, you are talking more about the constant chatter of the NPCs and Cloud&Co. than the actual cutscenes themselves?

I really like the NPC chatter, but yeah the running commentary from the PCs doesn’t really do it for me. It was nice to spend time with the characters my first time through, but on a replay it’s just noise.

Reactions: oty

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
Well I'm not as good at this game as I thought I was. I need to take a proper look at some of the materia/abilities/everything that I didn't really consider using the first two play throughs on normal.

I'm up to the end of Chapter 4 and I've been caught off guard several times already. Some things were a case of just concentrating properly but other times I really struggled. I couldn't work out Wrath Hound during Chapter 3 for example, not that I even needed to do that sidequest at all.

I think I've just carried on my approach of being a bit aggressive and assumed that because I'm level 50 I'd have very few issues. Clearly the game is trying to push you to 50 very quickly (I started on 40 and was maxed by Chapter 3) and compensates for that by throwing in plenty of surprises like a double Tail Laser.

From reading the thread I'll be going back to the drawing board and working out how to be a bit more defensive. The prospect of Hell House makes me feel a bit sick.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Reno on normal was the first boss that gave me some trouble.

On hard, I figured out that if you put lightning/elemental on your Armour hes absolutely trivial. Also this time I understand how to parry a bit better.

Not anything more to say, its just really rewarding when you have these moments in games. Something I found challenging before is a breeze when coming back to it :P

kathy202

Pro Adventurer
Reno on normal was my first boss game over :( At least that taught me to stop mashing the square button. But yeah, he was much easier later on hard when I actually knew what I was doing.

Hell house on the other hand, was hell in normal, and worse in hard... in a fun way.

The chain of bosses at the end of chapter 17 though... ughh... Made it through, but took a while and I'm still not sure how I could've done them better. Not sure I wanna try them again either given that I don't have a save just before it.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Today, I got my first Game Over because of Hell House on Hard Mode. I died twice, in fact. My third attempt, I finally upgraded my weapons (I hadn't been upgrading their Atk+ and MagAtk+ nodes because I hadn't needed to) and switched to the second limit breaks, which I hadn't used yet. No more self-imposed handicaps! I AM NOT LEFT-HANDED, VIDEO GAME! I was anticipating using Planet's Protection for when
the sweepers ambush you

...Then I killed ol' Housey right at the beginning of phase 3 with a quick Stagger>Tidal Wave>Ascension before that happened, so I felt kind of naughty, like I got away with something. But I yelped in triumph and woke up my dog, so there's that.

Edit so I don't double-post: I just heard that you can link HP Absorb with Deadly Dodge. That violates some kind of law, doesn't it? That feels wrong and OP and like a mistake. What!? Come to think of it, why are Deadly Dodge and Parry not yellow?

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
My guess is that yellow materia all add actual abilities to your command menu, while deadly dodge and Parry passively add moves to your repertoire.

But linking to an "Independent" materia does seem odd.

Also, who resists equipping a new limit break the second you get it? :O

Last edited:

Ite

AKA
Ite
Also, who resists equipping a new limit break the second you get it? :O

Honestly it was because I didn’t feel like I had seen enough of the level 1 limit breaks to really “earn” level 2 you know what I mean? Like, I wasn’t bored of them. I think I’ve only seen Somersault like three times in 1 and a half playthroughs, and I’m a Tifa man.

My guess is that yellow materia all add actual abilities to your command menu, while deadly dodge and Parry passively add moves to your repertoire.

I was thinking the same. But then I looked at the ATB Boost materia, which functions the same as Parry and Deadly Dodge (by adding a real-time-only command) and it is yellow. But asking for the hard magic system to remain as sensible as the OG would be like asking for the story to remain as sensible... smh. “Just be happy it’s as good as it was” is the replay creed.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Honestly it was because I didn’t feel like I had seen enough of the level 1 limit breaks to really “earn” level 2 you know what I mean? Like, I wasn’t bored of them. I think I’ve only seen Somersault like three times in 1 and a half playthroughs, and I’m a Tifa man.
I have this so much. Even back in the OG, I had to earn the next limit break. When I recently played Trials of Mana, I only changed classes when I felt the character went through an important growth in the story.

Reactions: Ite

Ite

AKA
Ite
I have this so much. Even back in the OG, I had to earn the next limit break. When I recently played Trials of Mana, I only changed classes when I felt the character went through an important growth in the story.

It's a roleplaying game after all! I high-five you for your dedication to your own fun. I did much the same with Octopath Traveler (it helps that Octopath's story is so bland that you pretty much have to just to save yourself from boredom). In FF7 I imagine all kinds of scenes while I'm changing materia, about the characters sitting around a campfire (or, in Remake's case, hunkered down among the debris) building their strategy as a team. I know it's not the kind of fun that "comes in the box" but hey, it's still fun!

Have you played XCOM or Rimworld? Talk about a toybox for your imagination.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
what even is a role-playing game tho? aren't all video games role playing games to some extent? the genre definitions for video games are so strange and complicated :huh:

Reactions: oty

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
It's a roleplaying game after all! I high-five you for your dedication to your own fun. I did much the same with Octopath Traveler (it helps that Octopath's story is so bland that you pretty much have to just to save yourself from boredom). In FF7 I imagine all kinds of scenes while I'm changing materia, about the characters sitting around a campfire (or, in Remake's case, hunkered down among the debris) building their strategy as a team. I know it's not the kind of fun that "comes in the box" but hey, it's still fun!

Have you played XCOM or Rimworld? Talk about a toybox for your imagination.
Hahah yeah I had literally the same thing with Octopath. Unfortunately, my imagination wasn't strong enough to hold myself for the entire game.

Never played XCOM or Rimworld, but I have heard of XCOM.

what even is a role-playing game tho? aren't all video games role playing games to some extent? the genre definitions for video games are so strange and complicated :huh:
I guess that's what happens when you put the human mind into anything lol

But I guess RPGs just have a higher degree of it?

Ite

AKA
Ite
Well, RPGs came out of board game terminology, to distinguish them from say, Scrabble or Snakes and Ladders. In video games, you can’t really say you’re trying to understand who Mario really is, he’s just a game piece in a video game, like pac man. Likewise, when you’re playing a sports video game, you’re trying to win the sports match. What distinguishes the primary RPG mechanic from any other kind of game is that it’s not you the player that has to become good at the thing, but the character will become better at the thing, leaving the focus on the game on experiencing that character’s life, whether it’s a JRPG hallway simulator or a procedurally-generated open world or the adventure you tell with your friends during a game of D&D. The goal is to get you invested in the character and their journey, whether it’s the character writing of the Witcher or the TTRPG/MMORPG character you write yourself.

Of course, investing in the characters turns out to be a great way to get players invested in your games, so most games now have Upgrade/Level-Up features but that doesn’t make them RPGs. Ori and the Blind Forest has a skill tree that unlocks new abilities, but the core goal of the game is still to jump around and solve puzzles, not immerse yourself in Ori’s lived experience — this is despite the great care the game takes to give you an emotional investment in the few but precious story scenes. I’m sure lots of shooters now have Level-Up options to (as opposed to classic shooters like Goldeneye or Duckhunt) but games like Horizon Zero Dawn cross the line into “Action” RPG because the focus of the game is on Aloy’s lived experience and who she is, rather than a Call of Duty which is essentially an interactive action movie.

...FUCK ME, I have to do Chapter 9 AGAIN just to get the last two manuscripts. God fucking damnit. I have now played through Chapters 3, 8, and 9 FOUR TIMES EACH. Is this what gamers call “endgame content”? I’m still stuck in the 90s apparently, because this is tedious as fuck.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth

Fair enough, I actually didn't get any of them besides Ascension until after I had finished the game, so I probably avoided that.

I was thinking the same. But then I looked at the ATB Boost materia, which functions the same as Parry and Deadly Dodge (by adding a real-time-only command) and it is yellow. But asking for the hard magic system to remain as sensible as the OG would be like asking for the story to remain as sensible... smh. “Just be happy it’s as good as it was” is the replay creed.

lol, only Ite could turn ATB Boost materia into a statement of the Remake's letdowns. That is a good point, but I think the ATB Boost function is a bit distinct from Parry and Deadly Dodge. A one-time per battle command (that I never fail to forget that I have equipped -_-). I think that one would have been fairly ambiguous no matter what color they made the materia. Maybe it could have been an accessory? But then I definitely wouldn't use it, haha.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

It makes sense though, Parry and Deadly Dodge are passive, their effect is always on. ATB Boost is something that specifically needs activation.

Last edited:

kathy202

Pro Adventurer
...FUCK ME, I have to do Chapter 9 AGAIN just to get the last two manuscripts. God fucking damnit. I have now played through Chapters 3, 8, and 9 FOUR TIMES EACH. Is this what gamers call “endgame content”? I’m still stuck in the 90s apparently, because this is tedious as fuck.

Yeah, it's bloody annoying that we have to play chapter 9 on hard twice for the manuscripts. I considered giving up on the second one but did it in the end anyway. I wouldn't have minded it half as much if they placed us right before the Colosseum fights, but no, we'd have to go through the hands "puzzle" all over again and exchange awkward high fives and what not. They were great the first time around, and maybe the second... but not any more than that.

In the end though, I suppose I wanted the manuscript badly enough to do it again. I had Aerith equipped with some elemental spell + HP absorb + MP absorb + Magnify and First Strike to get through the enemies quickly and skipped any cutscene that I didn't want to watch for the fourth/fifth(?) time. Phew. Turned out less painful than I thought.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
So around a couple of weeks ago, I Platinum-ed this! Easier than I thought, actually. I was convinced I wouldn't complete everything the game had to offer but somehow made it. I guess it's all about putting effort, huh.

I had decided many months ago that whatever this game had to offer, I'd go and complete it!

As for my experience with Hard Mode... I used "Pray" a lot for the small battles, I occasionally healed. Triple Slash is fantastic. Regarding the bosses, the first one that actually gave me trouble was Hell House. After that it was alright for a while before I got to Rufus. Got a couple of Game Overs with him, another one with the Arsenal, a couple more with the Whispers and I think two or three with Sephy.

Ironically, since I felt Bahamut + Ifrit would be the hardest fight of the game, I left them for last after my first try so when I got there the second time, I was much better and was able to beat them. The final fight with Pride & Joy was quite trivial in the end.

I like to think I became quite good at this!

Ite

AKA
Ite
Just beat Marlboro. What a beautifully animated disgusting monster. I think it’s toppled FFVIII’s for my favorite Marlboro iteration. I’ve also been grinding AP with the mooks outside the combat simulator — I want to Master that second Elemental before going for the last fight.

The fact that a whopping half of the (actually new) endgame content is in Chapter 17 with Red XIII walking right beside you feels like a low blow. The excuse “you won’t really even get to use him” doesn’t feel accurate when all I am doing is combat challenges and he’s standing right there. :( I miss my boy

Top Bottom