Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
You don't think that they want a slice of the Remastered / cross-generational pie? Lol.

The first part will be released on the PS4. A remastered version of the first part on the PS5, with subsequent parts on the PS5.

I still don't think even the first part will be for PS4. Because Sony just announced the other day this month that they're ready to announce PS5 and rumors say that the new Console(which they're working a new name on, I think) will be out sometime in 2019 or 2020, which the former year is only three months away from now. Plus with the time consuming and all the things Square's have to go through, I highly doubt we'll even see part 1 of the Remake next year, especially since KH3 is coming out in January after delaying it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I would be stunned if PS5 comes out next year. PS4 is still doing very well, and we're still only just over halfway through the length of last gen.

2020 maybe, but my bet is 2021

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Well, consoles these days don't usually last as long as they used to. I mean, the Wii U certainly didn't last even though it was bad console to begin with. But I think since PS4 is already five years old, sony's decided to get on with PS5 which will be fully announced soon. I'd be surprised if it came out next year too and not long after KH3 is released on the current console of all things.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Good question. Guess I misunderstood on the first part. But maybe it's because sony's worried PS4 isn't doing as well as they would've liked, or maybe they've decided to do PS5 sooner than expected? I have no idea.

Yeah, Wii U was one of the suckiest consoles ever. In my opinion, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, PS1, PS2, PS3, and Wii are the best home consoles ever, and PS4 is cool too.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
The REAL question here is how long it will be between 'episodes' 'parts' 'installments' (whatever you want to call it). Not to mention, how much content we think we're going to get in each segment. As everyone keeps hammering home, game development takes time. And these aren't just tacked on 'portions', these will be entirely new segments of the game and the world, enemies, characters, etc... I can't see it not being a significant length of time between them, so it really is a feasible scenario that this situation could occur.

Though I concede that they could just double-down and keep it on the PS4 as well as the jump to the PS5. But ever since the tech demo and the Remake announcement, it feels like Sony or SE (or both) have been pushing and presenting VII as this system seller for Sony. I can easily see them forcing players to make the jump to PS5, and if Sony ensure that they lock people into their ecosystem within that jump to the new console and ensure backwards compatibility ... I mean, yeah, it's worth considering that this scenario could easily happen.

Random Nobody

local roach
Though I concede that they could just double-down and keep it on the PS4 as well as the jump to the PS5. But ever since the tech demo and the Remake announcement, it feels like Sony or SE (or both) have been pushing and presenting VII as this system seller for Sony. I can easily see them forcing players to make the jump to PS5, and if Sony ensure that they lock people into their ecosystem within that jump to the new console and ensure backwards compatibility ... I mean, yeah, it's worth considering that this scenario could easily happen.
Could they not potentially do both, give that the game is being split into instalments? I doubt the first part of FFVIIR will be released any earlier than 2020 (or, if being generous, Q4 2019), so that's plenty of time for the generation rollover midway. This assuming that the timed exclusivity deal applies across all three (?) entries.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
I need to speak up in favour of the Wii U; it's a great console! The virtual console was brilliant (apart from the peripheral memory being prone to corruption - RIP LoZ: OoT game file). I preferred the pro control pad to the game pad but I have to say it is a joy being able to watch TV whilst my son happily plays online sat next to me. It had a decent selection of games and production only stopped last year, so it had a respectable run (five years). It was never going to stand up against the might of the PS4 and the Xbox 360 but then again, its target audience was different anyway.

Anyway, back on track, I don't think that the remake will be held back until the PS5, I think it's going to be on the current model because the PS5 is going to be backwards compatible. It'll be interesting to see how many discs the game will span on PS5 though. :awesome:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Console generations aren't shorter, you're getting older and time is moving faster.

That's true. Still, I have a feeling that PS5 will be out by 2020 and Square will use that time to not rush in putting part 1 of the remake on PS4 shortly after KH3 is out(especially since the upcoming latter game will be the last KH game for the current console). I'd still be surprised if PS5 comes out next year, though.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
It tends to be easy to forget, and it's something that to a certain degree has softened a little over time, but the LAST wave of games for a console a lot of times end up being the strongest...by this point the hardware is about as familiar as its going to get, and there's that feeling that developers have figured out how to "unlock" the maximum potential of the console rather than some of the stabbing blindly that seems to go on in the early going. That's not to say there's not been great launch/early games over the years, but I have noticed that some of the best stuff for a system has a tendency to come out towards the end of its lifecycle, or in some cases, even after the successor has launched (in which cases the games are often criminally overlooked; this seems to happen with a lot of JRPGS).

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Unfortunately, I wouldn't say that we have seen anything so far which indicates that they are pushing the boundaries of the PS4 in any real direction. Whatever has happened behind the scenes, I feel that whatever they present next will be really telling.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
It tends to be easy to forget, and it's something that to a certain degree has softened a little over time, but the LAST wave of games for a console a lot of times end up being the strongest...by this point the hardware is about as familiar as its going to get, and there's that feeling that developers have figured out how to "unlock" the maximum potential of the console rather than some of the stabbing blindly that seems to go on in the early going. That's not to say there's not been great launch/early games over the years, but I have noticed that some of the best stuff for a system has a tendency to come out towards the end of its lifecycle, or in some cases, even after the successor has launched (in which cases the games are often criminally overlooked; this seems to happen with a lot of JRPGS).

FFIX and XII both come to mind, especially when compared to VII and X respectively in terms of presentation.

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
Unfortunately, I wouldn't say that we have seen anything so far which indicates that they are pushing the boundaries of the PS4 in any real direction. Whatever has happened behind the scenes, I feel that whatever they present next will be really telling.

That’s because they’ve shown two trailers (in 2015, one was CGI and one was gameplay) and some screenshots, which doesn’t really give an indication as to what they’re doing with the PS4.

The next showing will really have to be the big one that shows exactly what we’re in for, as you’ve said.

Remember too how Nomura has been denied the opportunity to show off footage, but if a supposed perfectionist feels like footage from the game is good enough to show off then it can mostly be a good sign.

All this can be attributed to the strange marketing decisions made by Square

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
All this can be attributed to the strange marketing decisions made by Square

You mean like the massive build up, which got everyone salivating, and then resulted in the announcement of the PS4 port of the game? :mon:

I don't think anyone can ever truly argue that the marketing decisions by Square aren't beyond strange, even considering cultural differences.

Last edited:

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
You mean like the massive build up, which got everyone salivating, and then resulted in the announcement of the PS4 port of the game? :mon:

I don't think anyone can ever truly argue that the marketing decisions by Square are beyond strange, even considering cultural differences.

The worst part is how they were starting development of the Remake at that time and decided to build this whole thing up “oohh Final Fantasy VII, look!” And people think this may be a remake announcement but wait it’s the PC version ported to PS4. Knowing that the remake is what many fans had asked for over another port.

Biggest trolls around... E3 this year too “Tune in to our E3 showing, you won’t want to miss it” >_>

They’ve also been promoting the game in things like mobius and brave exvius, it’s just so absurd what goes through the minds of those at Square Enix

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage

IDK, Red Dead Redemption 2 is a pretty fucking substantial contender once you've done all the installation bollocks. :monster: Also Sony staff have said that they won't release anything that can only be played on the Pro.
I was reading a thing saying the PS5 is going to have huge capacity discs in order to try and combat the lack of instant play due to lengthy installations, but a lot of sites seem to think it'll go with cloud-based storage. Can't see it happening myself.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm fairly sure the PS5 - if any - will be an incremental improvement over the PS4 - that is, unlike the PS1/2/3, it won't have any weird hardware, just off the shelf components from (probably) AMD. That means the main difference between PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 will be turning knobs for graphics settings, maybe texture resolution (because as RDR is showing, games are getting HUGE). Ideally they'll be able to tweak the settings so that there's acceptable framerates on all systems.

PS 5 or PS Pro+ will be focusing on getting stable framerates on 4K and / or PSVR. I'd personally be happy enough with just a stable 60fps on HD myself tbh, the PS4 can't manage that in a lot of games (and in some cases / games the PS Pro can't either when rendering on HD - poor optimization).

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
@Claymore Ah, gotcha, it wasn't clear because we've namechecked the Wii U, Kingdom Hearts and other FF titles in recent posts.
@Cthulhu from what I've read (I seriously need to bookmark some of these articles for linking here), the AMD processor for the PS5 is exclusive to the console. Might be cobblers but it might have a licence arrangement, IDK. I did also read that stable frame rates and rendering were areas Sony was looking to make substantial improvements on.

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
I'm fairly sure the PS5 - if any - will be an incremental improvement over the PS4 - that is, unlike the PS1/2/3, it won't have any weird hardware, just off the shelf components from (probably) AMD. That means the main difference between PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 will be turning knobs for graphics settings, maybe texture resolution (because as RDR is showing, games are getting HUGE). Ideally they'll be able to tweak the settings so that there's acceptable framerates on all systems.

PS 5 or PS Pro+ will be focusing on getting stable framerates on 4K and / or PSVR. I'd personally be happy enough with just a stable 60fps on HD myself tbh, the PS4 can't manage that in a lot of games (and in some cases / games the PS Pro can't either when rendering on HD - poor optimization).

I’m guessing this is why many users here think it will be on PS5 and skip the PS4, coupled with lack of news - which Nomura has been denied and Square only wanting to market KH3

People can often think “oh new console, new graphics” but it’s more than that. If they have skipped the PS4, which I personally don’t think they have, for Part 1 anyway... they would be able to be develop the game for more powerful hardware, that allows more objects on screen whilst keeping a stable frame rate for example... rather than remastering it or upgrading it later.

Since this topic is Remake Story/Content Hopes, may aswell stay on topic and just state that some of the Story set pieces will be able to be grander on PS5 than PS4, since the PS4 hardware is old in comparison to 2018 hardware you can get, it wouldn’t exactly be shocking to hear that newer hardware (PS5) can deal with more things going on at once than PS4 hardware.

In terms of Part 1, I hope they really catch the theme and vibes of the events that occur in midgar throughout the game, PS4 or PS5...

And hopefully they get the voice acting correct to capture the emotion during said events.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
That's why I can't see it being a thing, lots of articles I've come across have made the same claim though, so IMO it's another case of lazy journalism. It's why that one article making mention of high-capacity discs was so standout; it solved the problem immediately without relying heavily on internet access (I say that as someone who firmly believes that all games should be designed so that they can be completed without online access or loot box purchases).

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
If they're going to use Cloud storage, what does the substantial part of the world with no reliable internet connection do?

Stick with PS2's probably; I don't get it myself, nor the day-0 patches of 50 GB or whatever.

I mean I get it, and there will be a group of people who do have serious internet (notably on my side of the pond, possibly Japan too) for who downloading games or streaming them (another thing) is feasible. But their potential customer base is tl;dr longer. If they go ahead with that, at the very least they should bring out multiple versions - with (big!) hard drives or smol ones. And given hard drives only make up a relatively small part of the console, it's a bit of a waste IMO. Just make a standard model, 1 TB hard drive, stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom