How can you enjoy this game?

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
Ladies and gentlemen, you've heard all the evidence, you know all the facts. We have a stupid name, tedious gameplay, inconsistent graphics, SNES-like music, nonsensical storyline and a crowbarred in stealth section.

This game is utterly horrific. So bad that it has left a very large negative impact on the game industry.

ngYXdVX.jpg

I Hope Imperial Justice has accounted in all balance. The Emperor Protects.

Thread Dismissed.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
How cute. He thinks he's presented facts and evidence in this thread.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Well... he is wondering what version of FFVIII to buy. I kinda want to here what he has to say about the Junctions system as well as Triple Triad...

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
Well... he is wondering what version of FFVIII to buy. I kinda want to here what he has to say about the Junctions system as well as Triple Triad...

My mum's told me to buy the PC version because its cheaper, though I think its a bit unfair to compare a PC game with a PS1 game.

EDIT: my mum let me buy the PS1 version. again, because its unfair to compare FF7 on the PS1 to FF8 on the PC.

Last edited:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Ladies and gentlemen, you've heard all the evidence, you know all the facts. We have a stupid name, tedious gameplay, inconsistent graphics, SNES-like music, nonsensical storyline and a crowbarred in stealth section.

This game is utterly horrific. So bad that it has left a very large negative impact on the game industry.

Umatbru, I seriously think it's time you got over this little temper tantrum about FFVII, you don't like it...fine, no one here is going to force you to like the game, but you need to grow up and stop behaving like a...well an immature brat about it.

Something else you should realise, for a lot of us here, VII isn't entirely our favourite FF, it's not mine anyways and I can't speak for everyone on that but what I can say for a lot of members here who grew up playing it or know of the game, there's a great deal of nostalgia, fond memories and even for those who aren't as big a fan of it there's an appreciation for the game. This site has also put a lot of work into exploring more about the game and translating things related to the game, so for you to come in and just start bashing the game for what is now just bashing for the sake of bashing it, is just extremely ignorant and quite frankly I've had enough of it.

You're allowed an opinion, you've told us you dislike the game, you don't have to like it fine, but just stop right now with the blatant and unnecessary bashing, pick a different game, pick a different genre, pick something but move the fuck on and get over it!

BTW if you think FFVII is tedious, how in the world you're gonna cope with VIII I don't know....I look forward to hearing your bashing of the junction system, the draw system, the weapon upgrade system....yeah good luck with that.

SirVival

Pro Adventurer
Don't listen to them Umatbru. I, for one, enjoy your objective and well outspoken criticism on my favourite game

Yuri Lowell

Pro Adventurer
I'm an atmosphere junky. Have to rock out on my big ass 1080p tv, play atmospheric crawlers like Vagrant Story and Dark Souls, in love with sensory enjoyment basically. FFVII has the best of any game I've played. Chrono Trigger's a close second and I can see the mark FFVI's made on the gaming community, but VII's surrealistic locales and scenery... Just win me over.

Maybe if I play Black Dream from CT while exploring the forestry around my house and visiting the abbey nearby, but that's more it's music than the game itself. That train ride home from bombing the reactor with the somber droll of Anxious Heart scoring Cloud's reminiscence about predestination and railways? 11/10.

hqdefault.jpg

here's my face playing this game bby. It got me into wanting to paint.

Also made me a lot more social and outdoorsy growing up, wanted a good friend circle like Cloud's and to overcome my own personality issues, like anxiety attacks or feeling like I never existed.

Too bad OP seems to hate rpgs. It's open ended to experimentation too, Materia was very flexible without being plain convoluted like Junction. Wish we could watch you play. I bet it'd be like DSP: FF edition.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
That train ride home from bombing the reactor with the somber droll of Anxious Heart scoring Cloud's reminiscence about predestination and railways? 11/10.

YES! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks that scene was great. Of all the iconic scenes of the game, it's the first thing that comes to mind when I think FF7.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

that one Lucrecia fangirl
AKA
Ravynne
Is that the one where he says something like, "It's like this train... It can only go where its tracks take it"? I don't remember it making a particular impact on me, but I obviously remember it so there's that.

The first three notes of Aerith's theme while the white materia bounces down the steps? = me losing it, every time.

And honestly, I think Vincent's flashback is done very well atmospherically. It does a shit job of explaining what actually happened, but the feels induced with all the fades to white, the subtle sepia tone overlay, the soft organ notes of his theme coming into audibility with its sad and somehow hopeful and at the same time hopeless repetition, and the narration being separated from the imagery to make you feel that sense of separation between remembering what happened and reflecting upon what happened? Yes please.

Yuri Lowell

Pro Adventurer
was a killer job, ye

I wish more stuff used ambiguity like that actually. My favourite part of the new Korra was when it was implied Kuvira recruited mountain bandits to do her bidding and attack the town so they'd want Kuvira's help, but mostly because it's not clear any of that happened. "I'll give you a new chance at life... If you accept me" or something.

It cuts off there so it was possible to assume she didn't do that at all. Bandits attacked at random anyway, who's to say the ones who attacked later weren't a coincidence. They ruined that by making her generic jrpg villain later but I liked it. I kind of like POV novels like asoiaf for the character biases in how they think and remember things, heh.

Vincent's like, the embodiment of that, since he kinda blamed himself for something that he figured wasn't his fault in the end. He's one of the most interesting characters.

Last edited:

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
Ugh, I have a love/hate relationship with ambiguity. It's so good, yes, but I'm going to resist it every time. Ambiguity needs to give me a safe word and tie me down in order to have its way with me.

Yuri Lowell

Pro Adventurer
EVERY VINCENT FAN! And that's how he did it with Lucretia. If he did it. Goddamn ambiguity. Probably not how Hojo did it.

But sure, ambiguity can jump you by surprise and make things slip under the radar...

I have 'odd' favourites from the FFVII cast, like Vincent, Lucretia, Rufus and Cait Sith (yes, him.) Cloud/Tifa/Aerith stole the show for those who were interested in VII, a lot who weren't were old school tryhards who didn't see through the surface and get to know how interesting everyone was. Japan loves this game probably because they just took it at face value like any other rpg.

OP probably is like 'hurgh guy with big swords are k i guess' and doesn't care though.

Yuri Lowell

Pro Adventurer
Nah, they might have fucked though. What, do you think he did?! That's an awfully perverse mind. Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer, but in this case nope.

Though it is a fanon joke that characters like Vincent and Raiden enjoy that sort of shit.

so. OP should stream, it'd be great.

Ravynne Nevyrmore

AKA
Ravynne
If you're truly interested, because I have written fanfiction that necessitates me to contemplate this sort of thing,
I don't think Vincent would be particularly adventurous as a lover but is very generous, as is in accordance with his astrological sign, like so much else of his personality is (being sensitive, not wanting to make waves, etc.). He is well suited to acquiring bedroom skills and performing them well, since as a Libra he is very concerned with being well attuned to his lover's needs, but being the shy romantic that Vincent is, I put him in more of the "traditionalist" category of wanting to wine and dine his lady and "make love," and would probably need some coaxing to engage in anything rougher or kinkier if that was what his partner wanted. Vincent is all about wanting to make the other happy.

I like to be in the "they slept together at least once" camp, although admittedly more because I want to be there than because I think there is any particular logic that says I should be there. My headcanon is that they slept together exactly once, which was the night before he found out that Lucrecia worked with his father, and everything fell apart at that point. The only foot I really have to stand on in arguing that they could have slept together is that he canonically proposes to her and it's my personal belief that you don't propose marriage to someone you've never slept with—that, and if you look at the four flashbacks that take place from their meeting to this scene, you can see a progression of him becoming more comfortable with talking to her, touching her, etc.—but I really prefer not to argue it because it's all very subjective and I have no true conviction in it. Much like my relationship with religion, actually, which I also don't argue. :monster:

Lucrecia, however, as a lover, would be a bit more...interesting, especially post-fucked-up-shit-in-which-I-donated-my-body-and-sexuality-to-science, which is where my headcanon tends to live. I think that sort of thing is likely to have an effect on one's relationship with sex and I like to write Lucrecia as trying to seek a thrill, tying into the self-destructive tendencies that she has displayed in canon. Between Lucrecia and Vincent, Lucrecia would definitely be the more sexually aggressive of the two.

Plus, Hojo in my headcanon was just all roughness and selfishness and just objectifying her for his own needs, and she's had to deal with that, so. But whether that would be in her past, present, or future depends on which part of the timeline you're considering.

Actually I just wrote a fanfic on this which I shall shamelessly plug now: Anomie Theory :headbang:

However, it is firmly my headcanon that Cid and Shera are engaging in a secret 24/7 BDSM lifestyle. In which he humiliates her in public, but she actually dommes him and punishes him later for all his bad behavior. *nods slowly*

Last edited:

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll

By the emprah, what on earth is that?

Anyway my PS2 is broken so no FF8 review. heres this copypasta to pass the time.

Squall Leonhart said:
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Balamb Garden military academy, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Galbadia, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire SeeD. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across (Insert nation here) and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of SeeD and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Top Bottom