I know What's Beneath the Snow Fields, a ridiculously long FF7 fic from 1999

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Of course!
So, a few pages ago I showed off the "awards" the fanfic won from other FF7 sites. There were only two, and I used both in the first book.

I got Angela to dig up the assets from her old site to find the "awards" she had created to give out, so she could retroactively give one to the story 20 years late. Well, I was thinking that TLS is also an FF7 fan site, so it'd be funny if I got you or someone to make a "TLS best fanfic award" or something to put in the book at the beginning as well. Just for fun.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Last edited:

AngelaRose

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Kindred Arkain
Behold! This beast arrived earlier today! Super stoked to read it once more. Thank you, Ody, for all of your hard work and dedication to this project. Without your interest, this amazing story would never have been brought to a new audience! And thank you for having me be a part of the project! Luckily for you, and I a FF7 obsessed geek and had all that artwork on my hard drive still. :awesome:

SnowfieldsBook.jpg

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Alright, well I'm getting into the swing of putting the thing together now. Tres seems busy lately, so maybe randomly putting making a "TLS award" on him was a bit unreasonable lol. If anyone else wants to try making one, that's fine too, I just don't want to do it myself because then it won't really feel like it came from this website. I get stupidly particular about these things lol.

The only requirement is that it needs to have the same dimensions as this one, so the first page will be symmetrical lol
NibelAward.jpg
This is from Angela's site from back in the day.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
You all d i s s a p o i n t me. Gonna have to make it myself aren't I?

Anyway, here's what the pages will look like this time for the non-story stuff:
Capture.PNG

Appreciate all the photoshoping I had to do to extend the original webpage design into a whole page lol:
http://www.geocities.ws/snow_fields/frames.html
(DON'T OPEN WITOUT AD BLOCKER)

I was originally going to do the browser window thing again, but I thought it looked fine like this.

I got in contact with the artist who did the character art up there, so in the final version all the pages will have a different character on it.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
O_O That's awesome! What were we talking about? The award?
I neeeed it. The first page looks weird without iiiiiiiit.

So, in this book I decided to add a "characters" page, and I used the author's art for the profile images, but she never drew Cloud, Tifa, or Elena, so I finally broke my "no art" vow of mine and did it myself lol:
Elena.png
Cloti.png

I was trying to mimic her style as much as I could. Here's one of hers:
Reno_Rude_by_Zahra2.png

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Wow...

That book looks amazing. And it's all the original fanfic story?

Talk about a labor of love, well done! That looks so clean with the cover too!
The joke is that I decided to make the book before I ever read one word of the story, and having now read half of it, I think it's just okay. Good ideas with middling execution, and also some less good ideas.

I'd have a hard time saying what my actual motivation is on this project is lol, but after seeing the magnitude of what the story was back then, it felt like something that should be done.

And yeah, I'd consider the book part of my ff7 collection, so dang right I wanted it to look good lol.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Tres seems busy lately, so maybe randomly putting making a "TLS award" on him was a bit unreasonable lol.
I'm so sorry, dude. ?

There was about a week there I was having a miserable time and don't think I even posted on the forum. I guess it slipped my mind during that time, and I'm still getting caught up around here.

If anyone else wants to try making one, that's fine too, I just don't want to do it myself because then it won't really feel like it came from this website.

Dude, you're a warm, beating heart of this place. Seriously. You could do the thing and it would count. I officially declare it or whatever. ::waves wand::

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm so sorry, dude. ?

There was about a week there I was having a miserable time and don't think I even posted on the forum. I guess it slipped my mind during that time, and I'm still getting caught up around here.
Don't sweat it, life happens.
Dude, you're a warm, beating heart of this place. Seriously. You could do the thing and it would count.
Daw, stop being so nice to me lol.
I officially declare it or whatever. ::waves wand::
That'll work.

1632145202421.png

Feel free to use the png as you wish lol
TLS AWARD.png

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
New and frustrating developments.

So, I've been including all of the author of the story, Zahra's, art pieces alongside the story where they fit in. My supply is running dwindling low, I only have four left with 47 chapters remaining. I had known for a while that I was actually missing two, a picture of Vincent wiping his face and a picture of Vincent "peeking". I thought they were lost to time, but then I had to go and find hope for a second. Awful, awful hope.

Somebody back in 2010 actually made a torrent of the entire story, complete with the art I'm: (DON'T DOWNLOAD)
https://www.torrentdownloads.pro/torrent/1651987279/I+Know+What's+Beneath+the+Snow+Fields
https://extratorrent.proxyninja.org...VII+I+Know+Whats+Beneath+the+Snow+Fields.html
None of them work anymore, there's no seeders. That, or they're fucking viruses now. Goddamnit.

Why a torrent? For something that's just words and pictures? Why not put it on a website or something???????? Fuck.

This means somebody out there might still have the files. How do you get word out about something like this? I need to like make a public announcement that I'm looking for this stuff that other people might actually see.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I don't have a twitter account, and my pride won't let me make one. The best thing really would be to just get the word out on there at this point probably, though. I dunno. Somebody like Lic might know if fans from back then still hang around twitter, maybe I should ask her lol.

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
Weirdly I still have a couple of the Genesis Awards lot on Facebook, although I haven't contacted any of them in at least 10 years. Do you know who originally nominated it? I'm on my phone on a train and have no idea how functional the forums still are but there were nomination threads where someone will have chosen it. If by some weird coincidence it was one of the 3 or 4 people I still have as FB friends I could reach out?

Top Bottom