SPOILERS Is this Compilation character being hinted at by *SPOILERS* throughout the game?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Do we have a source about the contract between Gackt and Square Enix? I've seen that claim before when people online would discuss a re-release of Crisis Core. I've tried looking, but I haven't found anything yet. I also don't know how Japanese law handles things regarding copyright.
Despite my joke, I don't think anything is officially stated about this. Its just mysterious that they've never ported CC or DoC, and the most likely reason anyone could come up with is that it was some issue regarding the use of Gackt's voice and likeness. The only hole in that theory I can think of is that Gackt also did a voice in the XIII, trilogy, and didn't thise get a steam release not too long ago? His face wasn't used though. Lies and slander.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Oh, I thought I had heard he did a voice in one of the games. Never played them so I wouldn't know, my bad.

KetaKitty

Lv. 25 Adventurer
The possibility of the HD re-release of Crisis Core is hinted at in those trademarks I personally believe. They are not updates, they are new trademarks, and they wouldn't file for online downloading if they were not going to release it online somehow. DoC and AC have trademarks that are at REMAKE's level now, while their originals are still LIVE. If they did have contractual disputes with Gackt they seem to be resolved, or there was never much weight to the rumors in the first place.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The possibility of the HD re-release of Crisis Core is hinted at in those trademarks I personally believe. They are not updates, they are new trademarks, and they wouldn't file for online downloading if they were not going to release it online somehow.

I'm absolutely with you on this. Filing new trademarks with those specified parameters very much speaks to an intention to release these three titles in a new downloadable format. Whether that means a full port, abridged DLC, or digest-style video summary, I don't know -- but something is afoot. :monster:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Not sure of any direct sources, but I'm pretty sure use of likeness falls under international copyright treaties. Japan would no doubt fall under that category. Which is why I would image Selena Gomez is able to file a big lawsuit against some Chinese mobile game company. I mean, I am not a lawyer so idk really.

I'm sure that whatever original contract S-E made with Gackt included the ability to make a title to conclude Genesis' story. It's been a long time now though, and S-E has been sleeping on the Compilatiom for the better part of a decade. Who knows if that original contract would apply anymore. I would speculate, given his level of celebrity, that if they want his likeness in again as a lead character (or whatever) it would require some level of renegotiation.

Worse comes to worse, they can go by way of that one Marvel game that they made:awesome:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Who knows if that original contract would apply anymore. I would speculate, given his level of celebrity, that if they want his likeness in again as a lead character (or whatever) it would require some level of renegotiation.

It may, but let's also think about this: Gackt's level of celebrity in Japan is now mostly just that of someone who is famous for being famous. He's not really picking up new fans, and doesn't command the media presence he once did.

Which is not to say he's no one. He still has fans, and if he wants to go on a game show or something, they're going to welcome him with open arms. But even as a celebrity personality, he's showing his age and has long since drifted out of touch with the demographics that he appealed to 10, 15, etc. years ago.

He kind of needs something like this, unless all he aspires to anymore is being That Guy On The Variety Shows.

KetaKitty

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Oh I haven't heard about this! Maybe there is hope after all.
Honestly, its enough that Gackt is a fan of Genesis and most likely would reprise the role if given the opportunity, happy to share these findings of mine.
Gackt playing Crisis Core five years ago with English subs here
, there are other videos posted as well.
This is him quoting loveless last year, safe to say he is still a fan at least!

KetaKitty

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I'm returning to my last post and the video of Gackt playing Crisis Core and a topic I had hoped could come up via sharing that.

GACKT KNOWS 2sm.pngGACKT KNOWS 3sm.pngThis is something that was posted two months before E3 2015, I don't speak Japanese so I'm limited to this translation, but it looks like Gackt might have had a hint of REMAKE? They were talking about CC having impressive graphics, and this was Gackt's response. Pretty on point prediction if not a prediction, maybe Gackt hinted at REMAKE? If it was an educated 'guess', that means he is being kept in the loop to some degree and that gives me, dare I say it, hope for a Genesis return. This is only one very tunneled view on this though.?
He also asked longingly at the beginning of this video 'if he will be able to return to this world'.
I just found it a possibly relevant hint.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I think it's clear that, for the development team, they love and respect what they did with the Compilation, and that includes Genesis. Even if the fan reaction to it was mixed, the same with AC and DoC, they are still taking it to the heart and utilising it, not just hiding it away like it never existed.

And with the Remake's biggest strengths being exactly what I think Genesis desperately needed, I'm not going to say I'm not a bit interested, even if a part of me just really dislikes the idea of Genesis again. For what a lot of you guys are the Time Janitors and the Destiny stuff, to me it's Genesis and Minerva. It took me away from CC, and even from VII in general, so a part of me automatically flinches with just the idea of it.

Kinda makes you think about how subjective all of this situation really is.

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
I'm returning to my last post and the video of Gackt playing Crisis Core and a topic I had hoped could come up via sharing that.

View attachment 6069View attachment 6070This is something that was posted two months before E3 2015, I don't speak Japanese so I'm limited to this translation, but it looks like Gackt might have had a hint of REMAKE? They were talking about CC having impressive graphics, and this was Gackt's response. Pretty on point prediction if not a prediction, maybe Gackt hinted at REMAKE? If it was an educated 'guess', that means he is being kept in the loop to some degree and that gives me, dare I say it, hope for a Genesis return. This is only one very tunneled view on this though.?
He also asked longingly at the beginning of this video 'if he will be able to return to this world'.
I just found it a possibly relevant hint.

It would be hilarious if Gackt knew of the Remake this entire time.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
747jIcC.jpg

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Kind of difficult tho? Either they cut his lines of the first Part, or they already have a plan of his subsequent appearances and notified him about it, which would mean they atleast have a very good idea of how the story is going to go, to the point where they are 100% sure that something like a Genesis appearance wont be cut or changed in any time (all of this pre-E3 2015 btw).

KetaKitty

Lv. 25 Adventurer
They have known about the fifth compilation installment for a long time; in the recent interviews (part 5) Nomura stated he had a rather good idea of how he would like REMAKE's story to go. I will be the first to admit this is far reaching, but Nomura had what appears to be a script he presented to Nojima that was already new and different from the original FFVII. We know Nomura recruits him before 2015 as Nojima is listed on the first E3 trailer. They state themselves they have had some of these ideas for a very long time.

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
But would they have contacted Gackt back in 2015? I know that the Japanese VAs were recorded quite a long time ago, but I thought that would only apply to those who had their character appear in Part 1.

I guess they could have began talking about a new contract/contract renewal with him in 2015, but something about that doesn't feel right.

Reactions: LNK

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I mean, we are not just talking about a general idea here. I dont think they would have notified Gackt unless they were like 90% sure that Genesis was surely going to be a part of it.

It's completely possible, we are going to have to just wait and see.

Top Bottom