Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Announced

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
From KH13.com:

"The latest issue of Famitsu Weekly, releasing on October 4, 2012, has contained an article on Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 ReMIX-. Details of this article have appeared online on 2ch.net and gamenyarth, and sqexgal has translated them via Gematsu. Read on to see what Nomura said, and check back later for scans and the full interview."

- HD 1.5 ReMIX will be co-directed by Tai Yasue, who previously co-directed Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]. The director is, of course, Tetsuya Nomura.

- Famitsu asked “Is there gonna be a high-definition version of Kingdom Hearts II later?”, and Nomura replied “It’d be unusual if there wasn’t.”

- Various character models for Kingdom Hearts, including Sora, have been replaced with character models from Kingdom Hearts 3D.

- Various aspects of Kingdom Hearts have been changed to be more like Kingdom Hearts II. The screen ratio and gauge placement have also been revised.

- Nomura thought of doing a full remake for Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, but since it was too late to start work on a new title, it was done in the form of Theater Mode.

- About 70% of 358/2 Days is represented by HD cutscenes. About 100 scenes from 358/2 Days have been recreated with new voice recordings.

- The series so far has been scattered on various hardware, by the time new fans came to know Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II was already out.

- Nomura: “I figured since there were people who had a hard time keeping up with the sequels, we had to start from the beginning with Kingdom Hearts HD. I also thought that familiar fans might make new discoveries seeing everything in chronological order with the sequels side by side.”

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I know we take a lot of shots at Nomura for doing stuff that isn't Versus XIII, but, seriously, the hardest at work it ever sounds like he gets is when he's redoing something that has already been done. I mean, goddamn, the dust of 358/2 Days' shitty story hasn't even ventilated out of my head yet, but he's doing this.

Primal Eyes

Lv. 1 Adventurer
From KHInsider

A bunch of screenshots, and finally a glimpse of that PC browser social game. I really want to play it if only because of the cute!

Report on Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 ReMIX-: Pictures of prettied-up screens and an Interview with Mr. Tetsuya Nomura

This year marks 10 years since the first Kingdom Hearts title was born, and now with the time ripe it is being remastered in HD. Let's peruse the content from these screencaps and an interview with director Mr. Tetsuya Nomura!

A NEW DOOR OPENS IN HD

Kingdom Hearts (hereon KH) is an action RPG series loved throughout the world. Of the seven stories that have been revealed so far, KH Final Mix and KH Re:Chain of Memories have been remastered in HD inKH -HD 1.5 ReMIX-, releasing in 2013 for PS3. On top of this, KH 358/2 Days is also included as a volume converted to video! Without further ado, let's check out the new images of each title, born again and more gorgeous than ever.

KINGDOM HEARTS FINAL MIX

Kingdom Hearts, in which Sora, the protagonist of the series, and Donald and Goofy travel through various Disney worlds. This title, which released in March 2002, returned triumphantly as KH Final Mix, which used the North American version that released the same year in December as a base with added components and the English voicing. This Final Mix version has been remastered in HD in KH -HD 1.5 ReMIX-. The voicing that was in English will be in Japanese.

KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories

After the adventures of KH, Sora and Donald and Goofy set foot in 'Castle Oblivion', in which the further you go in, the more you lose your memories... KH Re:Chain of Memories, remastered in HD for this title, was originally included with KH2 Final Mix, which released in 2007. It was a 3D remake of the Gameboy Advance title KH Chain of Memories, which released in 2004.

KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS

The protagonist of KH 356/2 Days is Roxas, a young man who played an important role in KH2. The story of Roxas and Axel, who takes care of him, and Xion, a girl who has newly joined 'Organisation XIII', unfolds. In KH -HD 1.5 ReMIX-, you can appreciate the main story of KH 358/2 Days put to video and bestowed new voicing as a video volume.

KINGDOM HEARTS FOR PC BROWSER (TENTATIVE TITLE)

Kingdom Hearts for PC Browser (tentative title), announced at Tokyo Game Show 2012 with KH -HD 1.5 ReMIX-, will be a free to play online game for PC browsers. As a player you will customise an avatar that will represent you and adventure through Disney worlds. It seems that undertaking quests and cooperating with friends to defeat enemies will be elements?

WE ASK DIRECTOR MR. TETSUYA NOMURA ABOUT KH -HD 1.5 ReMIX-

This year marks 10 years since the first Kingdom Hearts title was born, and now with the time ripe it is being remastered in HD. Let's peruse the content from these screencaps and an interview with director Mr. Tetsuya Nomura!

―Please tell us the details of how the release of KH -HD 1.5 ReMIX- came to be.

Mr. Tetsuya Nomura (hereon Nomura): All the titles in the series so far are a collection, first establishing the internal set-up, called the 'Seeker of Darkness Chronicles' (※), and I wanted to bring together the whole story arriving at KH2 before we turn to its conclusion.

―There's strong meaning behind going over it again, isn't there. Will there be changes or additions to the content of the games?

Nomura: The two titles that are included as games will have trophy support. We intend to include an extensive range of trophies, from the more orthodox to ones that won't go down easily. Also, the controls in KH1 have been modified to be a little closer to the ones in KH2. We've also replaced some of the models of the main characters with the most recent ones.

―Why are you remaking KH 358/2 Days as a video volume rather than a game?

Nomura: Actually, I had also been thinking about doing a full remake like KH Re:Chain of Memories (hereon KH Re:CoM). However, if we had started that it would have considerably delayed starting work on the new title, so it ended up being included in the form of something like the 'theatre mode' that we already have in the series. We are changing 70% of the main story into cutscenes, with freshly-recorded voicing too, and we are currently working on around 100 scenes. If you watch from start to finish, you will know and understand the story of KH 358/2 Days. Though it's in a different form than the game I think people will enjoy it.

―Can you please tell us a little more about the series-first KH game for PC browser?

Nomura: This is not a title with an emphasis on story, but we are working premises in. That said, for the first time in the series you can enjoy the content completely separately from the main series, so even beginners to the series might be able to be at ease playing it. The battling is different again from KH Re:CoM, and we are aiming for something with simple controls and flashy movements. I think customising is important to this type of game, so we are filling it with new elements in that area.

―By the way, what of a HD version of KH2 and up?

Nomura: It would be unnatural not to (laughs).

―Here's hoping! And now, lastly, a message for the gamers please.

Nomura: Because the series so far has been scattered over different consoles, I think there have been people who found it difficult to access, with sequels such as KH2 that might already have come out by the time they came to know about the series. With KH -HD 1.5 ReMIX- you can enjoy the story from the beginning, and in HD quality on top of that, so if you haven't played yet please by all means use this opportunity to do so. I think even those who have already played through the series may make new discoveries regarding foreshadowing of sequels and lines that reference previous lines and such by taking another look at everything aligned in chronological order. I would be happy if this title turns out to be a 'restart' for the series.

※Seeker of Darkness Chronicles... mentioned as the phrase 'Xehanort Chronicles' in a previous interview with Weekly Famitsu, this refers to Xehanort the Seeker of Darkness being the pivot of the whole series. 'Seeker of Darkness Chronicles' is the formal name first used in the project proposal.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
From KH13.com:

Interview with Tetsuya Nomura, Director of Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 ReMIX-

Interview:
Sections from an interview with series director Mr Tetsuya Nomura.

-Plans for HD remaster were around before the FFX one. They consulted with the Osaka Team over whether they could do something to make best use of the PS3's performance.

-Actual development was kickstarted because one, the KH series had been spread over several consoles and two, in the series 10th year it had become difficult for new gamers to join in.

-HD remastering was very difficult, but two programmers from the Osaka Team spent close to a year on this and that and it came to fruition

-What he said he was researching in a previous interview was HD remastering for KH. The clips that have been released are thanks to the Osaka Team

-The programmers that handled the HD remastering were merged in from a team that hadn't been involved in the KH series up until now

-There are KH staff in the Tokyo Team too but there have been drastic changes, you could say that the basically unchanging lineup of the Osaka Team forms the true present staff for the series. The series is able to continue because of them

-Development for HD is basically in the final stages. He thought about perhaps remaking 358/2 Days as a game, but it would have taken over a year so he decided to give priority to the new title and instead have Days, necessary for inclusion, as a video volume

-You can select Days straight after starting the game

~~

-Some of Sora and the other's models have been replaced with the latest ones

-There is trophy support. He himself hasn't had much to do with the trophy feature, so he is still researching now as to what sort of content to include. Discussion over whether or not you'd need them for clearing worlds and first obtaining Keyblades etc is still underway

-The game controls have been adjusted a little to make them easier to use than they had been. Special commands display for the △ button, and camera controls have been made closer to the base ones in KHII. There aren't really any big additions. He'd like you to think of HD remastering and trophy support as all the additional components.

-There's no new secret movie

-He hasn't thought about making a bundle edition

-It would be unnatural to make 1.5 but not 2.5

-Work is entering the final stages and development is doing well, so it's planned for 2013 but he wants to deliver as soon as possible

~~

-Browser will be a typical browser game. Controls will be simple and using cards, content not strong on action (?). Co-operating with several people is also a feature

-Fundamentally it's for one person

-Development is not by the Osaka Team, it's somewhere else

-It will be a spin-off title, completely removed from the story of the main series. Because of the nature of a browser game, they couldn't put in any grand set up for the story

-There are new characters, but he won't say whether they will be involved in the main series

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
-The First Adventure Told in Beautiful Graphics-

With over 18,000,000 units shipped worldwide, the Kingdom Hearts (here-on KH) series is very popular. The latest instalment is a HD remaster of the early stretch of the story. Of the three titles included in this work, we will now introduce KH Final Mix, which details the very first adventure of protagonist Sora. We will also reveal changes from the original.

UPDATING THE ORIGINAL KH FINAL MIX

+On top of being made HD, some character models and textures have been updated
+The English voicing has been changed to Japanese voicing
+With trophy support there is more to do after clearing the game
+PS3 custom theme made available after clearing the game
+Addition of abilities ‘EXP Zero’, in which you cannot earn EXP, and ‘Combo Master’, in which combos continue even if an attack misses
+Camera controls have been changed to the right stick. R3 button to swing the camera behind to default position
+’Talk’ and some special abilities etc. now executed with only the △ button
+’Summon’, which used to be included in 'Magic', has been added separately to the command menu

WORLDS OF ADVENTURE

After his home is swallowed by the darkness, Sora sets off on a journey to the 'outside worlds' to search for his missing friends Riku and Kairi and drive back enemies known as 'Heartless', and as he does so, he travels through many Disney worlds. Now we will introduce each world and present screenshots showcasing how beautiful they look remastered in HD!

TRAVERSE TOWN (KH original world)
This is the first world Sora ends up on. Living here are Final Fantasy characters such as Leon (Squall from FFVIII).

WONDERLAND (from Alice in Wonderland)
Alice is put on trial for the crime of trying to steal the heart of the Queen of Hearts. In order to save her, evidence must be collected in this strange world.

OLYMPUS COLISEUM (from Hercules)
Sora enters a tournament, sights set on becoming a hero. However, in the background is Hades and his schemes... Visit again after for the chance to battle secret boss Sephiroth!

DEEP JUNGLE (from Tarzan)
Sora, separated from Donald and Goofy, explores the jungle with Tarzan as his guide. You must protect his loved ones from the cruel hunter Clayton.

AGRABAH (from Aladdin)
In order to rescue the imprisoned Princess Jasmine, you go with Aladdin to a trap-loaded magic cave. After clearing this world, Genie becomes your friend as a Summon.

MONSTRO (from Pinocchio)
Adventure through the insides of a giant whale, Monstro, who swallows you. While searching for the missing Pinocchio, you come across Riku, but...

ATLANTICA (from The Little Mermaid)
In this world, Sora and his friends take the shape of sea creatures like dolphins, and swim around freely under the sea. Perfect the art of swimming and challenge Ursula.

HALLOWEEN TOWN (from The Nightmare Before Christmas)
Sora and the others have special forms here too. Confront Boogie, who stole something important from Jack, but with all the trickery, it seems a tough battle is unavoidable!?

NEVERLAND (from Peter Pan)
Work alongside Peter Pan to search Captain Hook's pirate ship. In this world, you can fly the skies just like Peter. Enjoy the exhilaration of swimming through the air.

100 ACRE WOODS (from Winnie the Pooh)
100 Acre Woods is picture book world. Collect the torn pages scattered through other worlds and clear mini-games to repair the damaged parts.

OTHER WORLDS
There are many other worlds that we haven't showcased today. The works of Disney and the original story weave together as a grand tale expands.

NOTICE THE BEAUTIFIED BATTLE SCREENS AND PLENTY OF MINIGAMES

Simple controls and exhilarating flashy battle are staples of the KH series. A Disney character from each world will join you in battle alongside Donald or Goofy. You can also call friends through any Summon Magic that you gain.

DEVELOPMENT STAFF COMMENTS AND MINI INTERVIEWS!

Comments have arrived from Character Art Director Gen Kobayashi! Tohru Yamazaki, who was in charge of character textures etc and Sumio Nasu, a programmer, also answered a few questions for us. Let's get the inside scoop on this title!

COMMENTS FROM CHARACTER ART DIRECTOR GEN KOBAYASHI

In order to match the HD remastering, a great deal of the base material had to be made high resolution as well as remade entirely. The KH menu screens were originally created in high graphics but we made them even nicer. We widened the screen to 16:9, and we even gave the controls a pleasant do-over, so I am sure that even those who played the PS2 game will be able to enjoy the fresh feeling of this title. We've also prepared custom themes and many trophies, so please try and collect them all.

INTERVIEW WITH CHARACTER TEXTURE DIRECTOR TOHRU YAMAZAKI

--What sort of work did you do on the HD remaster?

Yamazaki: I worked on upping the resolution of the character textures, and replacing characters that had been remade post-KH1. Also, things like replacing the thumbnails in the character index with updated versions. With this title, I started work with the aim to bring things up to basically post-KH2 quality, which meant things with drastically increased resolution and for other parts changing the creation style to fit textures created after KH2. I took great care to make sure people who had been playing the most recent titles in the series would feel the least sense of incongruence possible.

---What would you especially like players to see?

Yamazaki: After helping Kairi out, there's a scene where she gives her charm to Sora, and I think it's very pretty now. The three princesses on the stained glass at the very beginning are also a must-see, I think it has a lot of impact. The 101 Dalmatian puppies are also quite a lot cuter. There are lots of points.

---Lastly, please tell us about anything that left you with a deep impression.

Yamazaki: When work on the HD remaster began, I was given a chance to see screens of KH resources that had been made viewable in high resolution, with the main programmers from the previous development and other people involved with development. Everyone said things like 'isn't it fine the way it is?' and 'but it's so pretty right now'. Even I couldn't believe that this was something that had been made ten years ago. Usually, when you look at games from the past the age stands out, but the screens of KH were colourful and vivid, and I got a feeling of timelessness from them. I think it was only the result of the developers back then layering trial and error onto their ways of creating textures. However, once our eyes became accustomed to it, gradually our greed came out. You want to fix here, and here, and one thing turns to another... the greed of humans is inexhaustible. All we staff did our best to upgrade it within the constraints and time limit, but we also felt we could still keep working, so it's very complex (dry laugh).

INTERVIEW WITH PROGRAMMER SUMIO NASU

---What sort of work did you do on the HD remaster?

Nasu: I analysed the PS2-era program and rewrote it for PS3 use, while mainly dealing with converting resources. I personally had never played to the end of KH1, so wherever I felt the basic controls had issues, I did my best to make them feel closer to that of KH2. You can also skip cutscenes this time.

---What would you especially like players to see?

Nasu: I want you to feel satisfied by the story on large screen, the image capacity, and the volume that is unbelievable for a ten year old title. Even if this is your first experience with the series, I'm sure you will be able to enjoy the controls without anything feeling off.

---Lastly, please tell us about anything that left you with a deep impression.

Nasu: Because it was a ten year old program, nobody remembered how to use it... We finally worked out how to get moving after a lot of trial and error. In the beginning I thought it was simply not the type of work you'd have thought for a HD remaster, and despite the unexpectedly heavy volume I was surprised. I want to make use of the knowledge I gained from this project to bring the next remastered title to life.

http://kh13.com/news/34643-famitsus...ay-changes-staff-comments-game-overviews-more

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Box art:

KHHD%20COVER.jpeg

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Leaks

...I remember when a Kingdom Hearts game had more than 2 Final Fantasy characters.

Top Bottom