Kitase would consider FFVII-2

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...n-final-fantasy-vii-2-needs-to-be-big-budget/

Final Fantasy producer Yoshinori Kitase has spoken about the tantalising prospect of making Final Fantasy VII-2.

Asked whether Square Enix might make a direct sequel to the much loved game PSone game, FF XIII-2 producer and VII director Yoshinori Kitase told CVG's E3 agents:

"It would have to be really big budget title. It would take a long time and a lot of money to make that. We would be interested given the opportunity, but obviously we'd have to see, round up the best staff, and we'd have to look at the situation in the market to see if it's good timing for us... At the moment we've got no plans... We might do it."

So, they literally have nothing in the works?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
So this is about the next comp title, not a remake?

But still, I thought a new comp title was set in stone.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
What gets me is this:

"It would have to be really big budget title. It would take a long time and a lot of money to make that.

Opposed to how they've thrown FF XIII-2 together in a ridiculously short amount of time?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
What gets me is this:

Opposed to how they've thrown FF XIII-2 together in a ridiculously short amount of time?

But didn't they already have the engine/gameplay set up for that, at least with FF13 as a template? I understand that FFVII itself would be 'the template', but we all know that not all of FFVII's systems aged well with time; a remake or a sequel would have to establish a lot of new ground rules with gameplay and an engine and other conceptual ideas.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
But didn't they already have the engine/gameplay set up for that, at least with FF13 as a template? I understand that FFVII itself would be 'the template', but we all know that not all of FFVII's systems aged well with time; a remake or a sequel would have to establish a lot of new ground rules with gameplay and an engine and other conceptual ideas.

Nope.

They already have a template, an engine, and all of technical resources. They don't have to throw the engine they're using for XIII out of the window.

The rest is just art and writing. A competent art team can put a massive world together within the timespan of a year. Hell a competent team of developers can put together a great engine in a little over that amount of time.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
You're absolutely right, but

They already have a template, an engine, and all of technical resources. They don't have to throw the engine they're using for XIII out of the window.

Would people be cool with this? Would you be cool with this?

I dunno I guess I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here because I know SquareEnix doesn't need an inordinate amount of time to do something like this.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Why not? Other developers reuse their systems over and over, optimizing and advancing the tech as they go.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
In fact they originally built the White Engine to be one of those reusable systems. They're clearly not that crazy about it now with that news a little bit ago that they're making a new one.

But are you two talking about remake or Comp conclusion? Personally I want both. :monster:

That is weird that they have no plans...I remember with ACC's release Nomura said it'd be taking a break but that they had ideas.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
But are you two talking about remake or Comp conclusion? Personally I want both. :monster:

That is weird that they have no plans...I remember with ACC's release Nomura said it'd be taking a break but that they had ideas.

Well the thread is about FFVII-2...

Also I find it quite amusing that they milked the shit out of FFVII for shit no one wanted, but when it comes to actually making a real RPG, they're so fucking gunshy it's ridiculous.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
holyshit

I just noticed that
derp

Vivi

Jump Rope Champion
AKA
Vivi, Setzer Gabbiani
I'm really starting to get annoyed about how they're dealing with the Compilation. If they don't want to continue with it, they should just say so and be done with it. It seems like they're just toying with fans in order to keep our attention.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
A title of FFVII-2 could only possibly go to a game with Cloud as the main character, IMHO.

Dirge had like, ten seconds of Cloud screen-time. :(

Top Bottom