Life Is Strange

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I thought the 2 possible endings were absolute shit. The fact alone that there's only 2 endings in a episodic, player choice, time travel game is immensely disappointing in itself.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I thought the 2 possible endings were absolute shit. The fact alone that there's only 2 endings in a episodic, player choice, time travel game is immensely disappointing in itself.

I can deal with the ending choices itself, it's the natural conclusion of the story. But the fact that the primary (in my eyes) ending is just a funeral without any monologue or dialogue or showing of how everyone ends up makes it a suboptimal epilogue. Couldn't they have just used some of the assests for SF sequence for this?

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I'm struggling to form words here, but fucking well done to Dontnod.

I was tripping all over the place.

Max Caulfield

shaka brah
AKA
Chi, Trollzaya, Dean Winchester, Black Widow
/yes

Okay, but what do you guys want from a season two? I, of course, want more of the main characters from season one, but I think depending on the direction they go the series could become much richer with a broader story. Maybe another season about someone with the time traveling powers or maybe other powers of some kind? Why did Max get the time travel powers in the first place? Is a part of a larger thing?

I really want them to develop the shit out out what's going on behind Max's powers. (Though to be honest I'm not entirely confident they could do that after episode five.)

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
/yes

Okay, but what do you guys want from a season two? I, of course, want more of the main characters from season one, but I think depending on the direction they go the series could become much richer with a broader story. Maybe another season about someone with the time traveling powers or maybe other powers of some kind? Why did Max get the time travel powers in the first place? Is a part of a larger thing?

I really want them to develop the shit out out what's going on behind Max's powers. (Though to be honest I'm not entirely confident they could do that after episode five.)

The developers have already said it'd be a new story with new characters. I think having a Max cameo is the best we should be hoping for what the S1 characters are concerned.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I really wanted to know more about Samuel. He seemed to be one of the few characters who might have really known what was going on.

As for the second season, I'm not sure yet. The finale is still sinking in and it'll be interesting to see which ending they make canon
because I screwed Arcadia Bay not once, but twice. Screw that town, Chloe can live. But having said that, the sacrifice Chloe ending is one of the most beautiful game endings I've ever seen.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

It's been debunked earlier, I think? Translation from a French publication was off by a bit.

I think Vampyr has a greater chance of being worked out first. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.
I'd actually much enjoy a Remember Me sequel, people gave that game a lot more flak than it deserved. Still, Life Is Strange showed that their visual design is sickrad no matter what they make :monster:

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
I played the demo and Chloe Price really needs to cut down on the slang and swearing.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
This game is full of mostly teenagers, what else were you expecting? :monster:

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
I bought the game and i'm currently in the dorm trying to get a friend out who was locked in the dorm-rooms.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
"Life is Strange"

(Deleted this post due to redundant thread, adding it to already existing thread...don't know how to get rid of my thread entirely though....)

Last edited:

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Hahaha, whoops...and it was right at the bottom of the first page!! Guess I should delete this now, eh...although, to be fair, a good 90% of that thread is blocked out due to 'SPOILER', so I'm still unsure about "Well, if you like games like ____, you might like" and things of that nature. Y'know what, maybe I'll just take my post and add it to that thread. Think that's what I'mma do.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
(Re-posting this, since the thread I made was redundant)

Okay so first, a tiny relevant foreword: I have been a gamer since the SNES era, and never stopped loving them, but I did sit the PS3 era out as far as owning a system. I did still play games at friends houses and the like, but as I'm sure many of you know, there is a big difference in connection between that type of cursory playing and actually purchasing the games yourself. So, now I have recently bought a PS4 after sitting that previous era out, and so the modern era of gaming can be a bit of a (exciting) shock to me sometimes, both in the impressiveness of graphics/presentation and also the way the games are actually designed sometimes...including this mysterious thing known as 'episodic' gaming, which brings me to the title of the thread.

So, after seeing random screenshots, gifs etc in my random travels of the web (including on this very site itself), I eventually started to connect some of them and realize they must be from the same game, though I didn't know what it was...a blue-haired girl, random warping, etc. Eventually I found out this game was called "Life Is Strange", and read a bit about it, but not too much, because it seemed like I could potentially read too much. It seems very intriguing. As someone who has never played an episodic game before, and doesn't know too much about the game I'm wondering...what kind of games would you compare this to, if any? Does it have 'mainstream' appeal, or is it more of a niche thing? Is it a lot of puzzles, in the conventional sense (of which I am not a huge fan) or more social stuff/exploration (of which I am a large fan). Is it a game I definitely need to check out lest I miss an important moment in gaming? And, if so, is it something where I should buy an episode and see what I'm feeling, or buy the whole package at once and thus (I imagine) experience it more like a 'conventional' game?

I'm very open to 'quirky' types of gaming, especially when those quirks involve 'role-playing' elements. I know it's not at all a recent game, but last year I played Persona 3 FES, a game which several people I know were bothered by its "spend your days at a funky Japanese high school trying to make friendships and pursue strange girls, with often EMO results" aspects. But I LOVED it. It was a huge time-sink and I wish there were more games like it. Honestly, the battles were more of a distraction from that element of it.

So anyway, this is an excessively long, poorly organized, and sloppy post, but the ultimate point is: Would you guys strongly recommend this game/How would you describe it?

Splintered

unsavory tart
Did you play any of the telltale games? Life is Strange has gameplay like that, halfway between a point and click and a visual novel. As far as atmosphere goes, it reminds me of a indie flick compared to the telltale games. The story and dialogue isn't as well written, but it feels really heartfelt and that's where the endearing part comes in.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Never did, actually! But I know a bit about them, I remember hearing a fair bit about "Sam and Max" when those games were kind of a-buzzin'. I've never played an episodic game period, actually, and isn't that kind of the standard Telltale model?

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
A game with time travel as its main gimmick is getting a prequel with no time travel, makes sense. If they hadn't fucked up and changed their story halfway through their video game I could see this making sense with Rachel as the POV character.

Top Bottom