• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I agree with you Fang. My point was probably lost because of my ramblings. I just mean I don't want the game to feel too disconnected, I suppose. I think they could have gone for a "Pulse" or "Valhalla" idea, instead of creating a new world. But I'll have to wait and see how they justify it, right?

I guess that using latin is just pointless, in terms of being exotic, for me, since it sounds so not exotic, because it's the origin of my own language.

It's like seeing Bleach use all those Spanish words. It makes me laugh so hard I just can't take it seriously. That said, I stopped seeing / reading Bleach YEARS ago.

Lex

Administrator
I just mean I don't want the game to feel too disconnected, I suppose. I think they could have gone for a "Pulse" or "Valhalla" idea, instead of creating a new world. But I'll have to wait and see how they justify it, right?

I agree with you. A lot of the ideas sound really cool, but it looks like there's a bit of a disconnect. We'll have to wait in see. It's just that they're in danger of doing what they did in the Compilation of FF7, and kind of missing the point of the story? If that makes any sense.

They've proven they're good at creating sequels/ spin off games that are too different from the original. The "feel" of the original game is almost always lost. XIII-2 was OK and didn't stray too far. But they really seem to like OTT madness these days, there can't be a simple continuation of a story, it's got to be weirder and crazier and just so... yeah disconnected. Doesn't mean the game isn't going to be good though.

I like what they've said about Lightning being more like she was in XIII. I get that she was sucked into Valhalla and became a demi-goddess etc, but even the way she spoke in XIII-2 was too different from her original character IMO. A bit like she lost her humanity.

Splintered

unsavory tart
They've proven they're good at creating sequels/ spin off games that are too different from the original.
I always found it really strange that they feel the need to reinvent the wheel for every sequel. XIII-2 was kinda similar but there was also huge differences in game design and plot points, like the monster additions and using time travel when the original game didn't fully justify it. But it's good in that way nothing ever really feels stale.

So I'm not really sure what to expect from this game storywise. I said before that I wasn't sure how the three games will line up but I think that if they don't reintroduce the old characters like Sazh, Noel, Hope, or hell even Chocobolina, it'll be a mistake. I love Lightning but I'm just as invested in them as I am with her. I want to know what happened to them.
I like what they've said about Lightning being more like she was in XIII.
Thank god for that. They kind of lost her character there for awhile.

Lex

Administrator
Yeah, like I said before I feel like she lost her humanity in XIII-2. I can't work out why they made her the way they did, the only thing it accomplished was her seeming pretty cold and aloof. She was still badass obviously but they changed her personality too much. She never really expressed any emotion.

I want Fang. I've said it a million times, I'll say it a million more. I said this somewhere else but seriously, I never know what to expect from a Square game. Even if they've announced the title and I know it's coming, it's always completely different from what I expected. Usually, that's a bad thing :monster:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I think that's one of two very important questions, there other one being will there be Fang?

Elisa Maza

Whomst
tumblr_m9rhdsYOAM1r2j6c3o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m9rhdsYOAM1r2j6c3o2_500.jpg

Fangu

Great Old One
So it took just 2 pages for this to become another "My life sucks because I grew up and I don't realize how no games will ever give me the experience I had with the games I played when I was a kid" SE you suck thread. Still, must be a new record :desu:

Trailer is apparently due for launch tomorrow!

Splintered

unsavory tart
I do have another worry just from looking at the presentation is that I'm not sure how they are going to reconcile a world-driven game and a story that needs some serious plot management. Like what happened to all the characters, what happens to the world, and will Serah stay dead. If Serah stays dead that's one hell of a move.

In one of the points, there was discussion that the world changes depending on how far into the thirteen days you are in, and that if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you might get trapped and have to wait for the next day.

TBH unless you can give up some of your time that just seems like a recipe for frustration. MM didn't have too much trouble, but I can see the new title having issue with being annoying by not giving you access to what you want when you want it. It kind of discourages exploration if you're too scared to look for new routes.

That said if it works out as perfectly as they hope, this has potential to be a really creative game.

Lex

Administrator
My thoughts exactly. How frustrating would it be to get stuck in some random area or something? I fear for the fact that the time is going to be ticking down constantly while you're playing, meaning you panic instead of explore an area or whatever. And how is it going to work in battles? Is the clock going to keep ticking down? If it's not done right I can see it being really frustrating.

AvecAloes

Donator
Splintered said:
I do have another worry just from looking at the presentation is that I'm not sure how they are going to reconcile a world-driven game and a story that needs some serious plot management. Like what happened to all the characters, what happens to the world, and will Serah stay dead. If Serah stays dead that's one hell of a move.

Yes. Continuity. I needs it. A wrap up. Please. That'd be nice.

Lex said:
My thoughts exactly. How frustrating would it be to get stuck in some random area or something? I fear for the fact that the time is going to be ticking down constantly while you're playing, meaning you panic instead of explore an area or whatever. And how is it going to work in battles? Is the clock going to keep ticking down? If it's not done right I can see it being really frustrating.

Oh my this. I get easily stuck and lost and frustrated in games that aren't timed, so I do have worries about this mechanic. I'm not saying I think it's necessarily a bad plan/idea, but I hope that they implement it well (and yes, somewhat forgivingly for people like me who aren't all that great at figuring out where the hell I'm supposed to go next etc :P).

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Ticking clocks in games work, but you do need a way to go around and reset the clock, perhaps at the cost of undoing some work, A la Majora.

Doing this right is going to be a big test for SE.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Ticking clocks in games work, but you do need a way to go around and reset the clock, perhaps at the cost of undoing some work, A la Majora.

Doing this right is going to be a big test for SE.
Exactly. I actually like that they are trying something radically new, but it's going to be one hell of a challenge.

You can set back time by doing certain events, probably sidequests and certain enemies but there's no mention of being able to rewind and go back to day 1. If you can well, there's a big difference between losing three days work in MM and 13 days. If not, the killing enemies to the keep the clock from reaching doomsday has the potential to feel like busy work. Time as a resource you can spend on supermoves is interesting but you'll be scared to try out some of your cooler actions.

Despite my ramblings, I'm more excited than I am worried. It's just that a lot of good ideas can turn really bad if you don't know what you are doing and I don't think Square's ever really attempted anything like this.

Also ticking clocks give me ridiculous amounts of stress.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I still say it should not be treated as in "We're on day 1, world ends on day 13", but rather a "World ends in 13 days, it's up to you to do side-missions to keep the time up" (Meaning maybe 7 days pass, and you do stuff to "get more time" but you're not actually going back in time, if that makes sense).

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I was worried about that when playing MM, but in practice that wasn't nearly as bad / stressful, so if they do it right that shouldn't be a problem.

Shakarian

dem titans
AKA
Palumpolum, Jack the Ripper, Colonel AI, laurash65, Re-L Mayer
Is the trailer that's gonna be released tomorrow just a gameplay trailer?

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I wonder. By what we could read, gameplay was really on its infancy. So I wonder if Square really wants to be showing something that's not necessarily similar to the final product.

But at the same time, I can't see them having real CG footage either. I guess we'll find out tomorrow, huh?

Fangu

Great Old One
Yeah from what I can tell it's just rumours - so I really have no idea what we'll get to see, if we get anything at all that is.

Edit: Dear lord people in the comment section on that Facebook page; read what it says, it clearly states it's the American website that's stated Sept 4th for new details, and it's just past noon on the East coast. Doesn't matter that it's almost night time in Tokyo when it's not Tokyo making the announcements.

Just had to put that out there :P

Last edited:

Shakarian

dem titans
AKA
Palumpolum, Jack the Ripper, Colonel AI, laurash65, Re-L Mayer
I wish it was up already!

I'm hoping it'll be a CGI trailer, but that's just wishful thinking on my part :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Do companies even need to do CGI for trailers and cut scenes anymore?

Modern graphics are so nice I don't think you'd really need to. Just generate it all in real time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom