My First MMO: Tet's Eorzean Adventures [FFXIV]

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
be at some point I'll get around on posting my detailed thoughts about it.

tl,dr version: It was alright. Much better than ARR although I personally don't quite get the "best FF ever!!" praise from some people yet. I've read so much praise for HW that I think my expectations were way too high because even though it was decent, I was slightly let down when it was "just good" instead of "OMG MAGICAL EXPERIENCE" :P

To me it's more the way Bahamut, Meteor, Midgardsormr, the Floating Continent, the Warring Triad and the Knights of The Round are all in a story together that makes them important rather then just extra stuff in the setting that doesn't figure into anything.

Lex

Administrator
Oh, and I've unlocked the Firmament. So this is that Ishgardian Restoration thing I've heard about. Someone inform me what the goal of this is. It kinda reminds me of a housing district? Is this what's gonna happen when it's done?

It's crafting and gathering endgame basically, and yeah people are expecting it to be a new housing district :)

Sorry I didn't get around to doing the last two 24 man raids with you, they're really good. We can always do them when you re-sub though :monster:

Did you do up to 3.5 or just 3.3?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
It's crafting and gathering endgame basically, and yeah people are expecting it to be a new housing district :)

Sorry I didn't get around to doing the last two 24 man raids with you, they're really good. We can always do them when you re-sub though :monster:

Did you do up to 3.5 or just 3.3?

If that's what it's gonna be, I hope people can craft better weather too :monster:

I finished 3.5

Speaking of which, what was up with that Yda/Lyse "twist"? It's like...what does this relevation really mean to me? If I had known her dead sister beforehand and she had been secretly replaced then I suppose this would've been a shock or whatever but the way it is it's like "the character you thought had this name actually has a different name. Also, she's a weirdo. I mean, who pretends to be their dead relative. Definitely needs therapy."

I've been trying to think what the reason for this could be and the best thing I can come up with is that maybe the writers decided they didn't like her name anymore or something. :P
Or like, a character reset? Kinda like when Stella from Versus XIII became too different so they also gave her a different name/design. But then that was before release and this is happening to an already established character. I dunno, it's weird!

tl;dr:

Yda: *tells me her life's true story*
Me:
tenor.gif

The Warriors of Darkness stuff in 3.4 was really interesting and I guess confirmed my suspicion on there being parallel worlds and such. :P
One of the guys called main dude "Arbert" instead of Ardbert...did they also not settle on a name yet at that point or what? :P

As always, I've been checking in with my GC squad regularly and as you know, occasionally you will get new potential recruits and of course there's gotta be that one guy who doesn't take the job interview seriously...

Q9nV9Xm.png

giphy.gif

Lex

Administrator
Speaking of which, what was up with that Yda/Lyse "twist"? It's like...what does this relevation really mean to me? If I had known her dead sister beforehand and she had been secretly replaced then I suppose this would've been a shock or whatever but the way it is it's like "the character you thought had this name actually has a different name. Also, she's a weirdo. I mean, who pretends to be their dead relative. Definitely needs therapy."

I've been trying to think what the reason for this could be and the best thing I can come up with is that maybe the writers decided they didn't like her name anymore or something. :P
Or like, a character reset? Kinda like when Stella from Versus XIII became too different so they also gave her a different name/design. But then that was before release and this is happening to an already established character. I dunno, it's weird!

tl;dr:

Me:
tenor.gif

Yeah I still feel exactly the same way about it to this day so don't worry, you've missed nothing.

Her: "I'm actually my sister"
Me: "...why tho"
*crickets*

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Between her and
"Nael" van Darnus
, it's quite nearly a running gag.
To be fair in Nael’s case that character was always originally supposed be a woman in the original Japanese (it was basically supposed to be like a Samus Metroid reveal). It was the English localization’s hiccup of assuming male from the gender neutral pronouns that the explanation of there being a dead sibling impersonation backstory had to be created.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

tl;dr:

Me:
tenor.gif

It's much baser, honestly. The echo flashbacks tell us that the Archons have been doing this for 20 years, this makes Yda older then the writers wanted this character to be in her Stormblood character arc. That's why she replaced her sister 5 years ago, old enough that even original ffxiv player characters only ever interacted with Lyse, but no older.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Stormblood's writing is considered to be some of the weakest writing in FFXIV for a reason. It simply crammed in too much plot in one expansion and ended up compressing a lot of character development as a result.

In addition to what Rodger said, the character arc the writers wanted Lyse to go through in StB wouldn't have worked with an older character who was confident in who they were as a person. They needed a younger character who wasn't as sure of themselves at the start of StB so they could grow out of that by the end.

However, Yda/Lyse was the only Scion character they could pull that off with. We already know who the rest of the Scions are, with Yda being the only one whose backstory isn't really talked about too much in 2.0 or even 1.0. And FFXIV's cast is so huge that they probably didn't want to add in even more new characters in StB then they were already going to.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Stormblood was more emotional personally, as it presented a grounded story focused more on human emotions and problems rather than high-fantasy. I like it a bit more than Heavensward, even cried at the ending scene ;p

ARR is the weakest without a doubt, though I think it did a great job in establishing the world.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I usually don't "count" ARR when thinking about writing and story structure because the circumstances of ARR's development are really crazy and it's amazing ARR is as decent as establishing the ground rules of the FFXIV world as it is. The team that was developing ARR was like... half the size of the team that developed StB because the other half of the FFXIV dev team was still working on 1.0 at the time of ARR's development...

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Stormblood was more emotional personally, as it presented a grounded story focused more on human emotions and problems rather than high-fantasy. I like it a bit more than Heavensward, even cried at the ending scene ;p

While I'll still give it to HW, I thought
]handing the WoL his/her first canonical loss was handled very well. I liked that it felt earned and not cheap. I agree with the general consensus that Zenos isn't great as XIV villains go, but he was effective for that element.

Lex

Administrator
I feel like the way Stormblood gets dragged must be really off-putting from an outsider's POV.

I had a great time with it my first run through. I agree with all the story criticisms but as a journey, with all the new locales and lore (hello Azim Steppe) it's a pretty fresh, unique expansion. Aside from the whole "here have multiple more grey Thanalans" bit ofc.

It does a lot of new things that keep it fresh IMO and keep the journey interesting. It's just a little less than the sum of its parts.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Not sure when I'll resub and continue the story yet although it's probably not too far off.

I've been thinking about this thread though. The whole gimmick was "an MMO newb's first foray into the genre" and kind of give my perspective as someone who generally dislikes playing online games and dismissed two mainline FF entries because of that.
Seeing as how I'm done with 2.0 - 3.5 and got more than 300 hours logged into the game at this point, I'm not sure that gimmick still holds up. I guess at this point I'm fairly familiar with how stuff works and kinda "settled in".

I also keep thinking whether the thread even served its purpose? I kind of intended it to be this detailed journal with commentary on both the story and the gameplay but I think I got a bit overwhelmed with the amount of content and how much there is to summarize. It turned more into a screenshot dump though, didn't it? Heh.
I don't know, I hope it was at all entertaining and the occasional stupid jokes were appreciated. =P

Anyway, I'm just wondering whether this thread should be kept alive or whether it's time for me to fuck off into the main XIV thread. :P
I guess I feel like in order to have a "LOOK AT MEEE!" thread it kind of needs to serve a purpose and I've been thinking maybe this needs to be better or somehow have more effort put into it. Or maybe I'm overthinking it. I don't know!

Anyone who has been following this so far, feel free to chime in or something :monster:

Lex

Administrator
I've been quite happy to follow your journey in this thread Tets, it doesn't need to be a blow-by-blow diary (that would be impossible in XIV anyway). It's totally up to you whether you want to continue posting in here or the main thread. I don't think spoilers are tagged all that well in the main thread and it would be a shame for you to get partway through Shadowbringers and then see something unexpected. Might be worthwhile keeping this alive until you're caught up?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I would keep this alive until you're caught up. Most people only spoiler things from the patch/expansion that is "current", otherwise the entire FFXIV thread would be hidden behind spoiler blocks. And... You've got... pretty much two whole expansions to go before you are caught up.

It's also been really neat to read this as... my "MMO newbie" days were... over a decade ago. And my "FFXIV newbie" days were... all the way back when 3.2 first dropped. It's neat to see how much the "MMO/FFXIV newbie" experiance has improved in that time.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I think I might resub this week, it's been almost four months since the last time and I'm getting that XIV itch again. :monster:
...I think I'm gonna need a recap on a bunch of things as I've already forgotten stuff. Hope I'll find a succinct recap on YouTube, should be more efficient than rewatching stuff at the inn.
Also, there's that announcement event next week. On one hand I wanna watch and I'm kind of excited for it but on the other I'm not caught up yet and I don't know how spoilery reveals of new expansions are. :@

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So I resubbed last week and finally dove into Stormblood.
Well actually I didn't resub so much as I bought a PC license that gave me another 30 days of playtime for my account. PC license is currently €3 cheaper than a sub, so :awesome:
Don't judge me, I'm poor :watchingu:
Still playing the PS4 version on my PS5 ofc as my PC is maybe barely on the level of a PS3, it can barely run XIV at 720p with a choppy framerate :P

Anyway, so.

- I made a little QoL improvement and put sprint on L3 with a macro. Hooray for customization!
- did they add new idle poses or something? I swear there are new idle poses.
- while leveling up, I got a brand-spanking new Ninki gauge. Oh joy, more stuff to put on the screen :'D
At the moment I can summon a giant frog with it. Because nothing screams ancient far-eastern stealth assassin more than fire-breathing giant toads
- I really like the Stormblood main theme. Not the first time I've heard it though, as I'm familiar with the battle theme version from beating up those training dummies in front of the TLS house in Shirogane

New location hype! We're off to Gyr Abania to kick some empire ass in support of the Ala Mhigans. Their territory is...

xwN93QO.png

...well it's a bit shit innit
Just a tad bit deserty.

I'm happy with this shot though:

C6D6fiw.png

Not easy getting a shot of a lightning bolt. The icons on the top right show you I was just spamming the capture button in hopes I'd get a decent image. I thought I'd just photoshop the icons out but decided I couldn't be arsed.
That reminds me, they really should make it so notifications do not show up on screen captures. Get on it, Sony.
Also fyi, taking a picture of a lightning bolt in real life is actually easier than it is here. :monster:

So at Rhalgr's Reach I meet Meffrid and like so many times before we have a "REMEMBER ME?" situation.
...I feel so bad for all these NPCs. For them, meeting the Warrior of Light was the greatest day in their lives but for me...it was Tuesday.
Yeah I have no idea when I first met him? A Realm Reborn? Dude that was 2020, which itself feels like it was a decade ago.

hPrXb3T.jpg

...bitch who are you calling a ho :@

So anyway I'm doing my Warrior of Light thing and help people out because I'm nice like that. Also because I need them to kinda rise up against the empire.

bwmOslY.jpg

...is that a fuckin Egoraptor reference. Well, can't top him actually voicing one of the gym bros in FFVII Remake.

Also, the Yda evolves to Lyse plot point was awkward but I do like her new design

4Neu1F0.png

Also seems like she doesn't use these oversized brass knuckles that you always see on pugilists/monks anymore and instead it's just gloves, Tifa style. Is that just a Lyse thing or a general thing for monks now? Because a martial artist job sounds cool but I can't get over how goofy their ridiculous brass knuckle thingies look.

Anyway, have a silly pic of Lyse and my WoL hyping each other up or something

n0MKQ65.png

And while the internet is currently thirsting over RE8's giant vampire lady, here I am thirsting over giant snake ladies

N3FDIPL.png

...I said don't judge me :watchingu:

So the new villain guy is introduced, Zenos yae Galvus. What was he again, the current emperor's son?
Anyway, I can't wait to smash his stupid face in

bmCazx0.jpg

So of course the dude invades Rhalgr's Reach and proceeds to smash my face in
Dude is giving me sort of a shonen anime villain vibe. The whole power level over 9000 thing and looking for someone who's a decent challenge because barely anyone can even stand up to him.

Dude calls me pathetic and fucks off leaving most of the Reach dead.
But...I punched out several Primals and the Ultima Weapon and everyone thinks I'm awesome, how dare you :sadpanda:

48LfkiG.png

RIP Meffrid. I forgive you for calling me a ho
Sorry about the whole not remembering you thing
Maybe I'll refresh my memory on a fan wiki or something
(but probably not)

There's more but I basically have a backlog of updates so I'll post the rest later :wacky:

Top Bottom