My First MMO: Tet's Eorzean Adventures [FFXIV]

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
That last grind from like 47 to 50 used to suuuuuuuuuck. There's so many more options now, haha. Originally you pretty much just had like 2 sets of FATEs to do over and over and over again. Well, that or Aurum Vale, but no one wanted to do that

Reading that makes me glad I didn't play day one. I clearly don't have patience for these types of MMO shenanigans. :P
Best for me to wait for QoL improvements that help people catch up. I really just wanna experience the story after all.

Speaking of catching up, I forgot doing the ninja quest also gave me a coffer of koga garb. Using it spawned a complete koga set in my inventory. It looks the same as the ninja set I just got except purple instead blue but with higher stats. These ones are all item level 90 instead of 50. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that was not a thing initially and added later to help out newbies?

Also, too tired and cba to finish the story tonight so I just casually faffed about and randomly joined the blacksmiths' and armorers' guild. :lol:
Crafting is like this whole other thing I hadn't even touched so far. Not that I'm gonna go deep into it now either, my free days run out this week :P

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Reading that makes me glad I didn't play day one. I clearly don't have patience for these types of MMO shenanigans. :P
Best for me to wait for QoL improvements that help people catch up. I really just wanna experience the story after all.

Speaking of catching up, I forgot doing the ninja quest also gave me a coffer of koga garb. Using it spawned a complete koga set in my inventory. It looks the same as the ninja set I just got except purple instead blue but with higher stats. These ones are all item level 90 instead of 50. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that was not a thing initially and added later to help out newbies?

Also, too tired and cba to finish the story tonight so I just casually faffed about and randomly joined the blacksmiths' and armorers' guild. :lol:
Crafting is like this whole other thing I hadn't even touched so far. Not that I'm gonna go deep into it now either, my free days run out this week :P
At level 50 you can use your tomestones to get Ironworks gear in Mor Dhona , it's item level 120.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Do I need to grind dungeons for tomestones? Because I'm not gonna do that :flipmonster:

You get tomestones for dungeons, trail and raid clears, yeah. You'll get plenty. They're making Crystal Tower raids mandatory you'll get a bunch from that. Crystal Tower is the stuff to east of Revenant's Toll in Mor Dhona. Don't skip it, it's fast, easy, and dping it a hundred times is such an iconic part of the ffxiv experience it informs Shadowbringers in a big way.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Also for the level 50 tomestone gear, choose the Ironworks Magitek gear to get, it has the highest item level of all the tomesrtone purchasable gear to get, don't bother getting the lower item-level gear from the early 2.X patches.

Also upgrading your weapon should be the priority over armor, it makes a bigger difference in ease of doing duties.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I mean, I'm gonna call it quits after I finish the main story anyway, so I'm really not gonna do any of that :P

I have yet to decide whether I'll pick it back up at a later date. Thing is I never liked playing online games (or hell, even team sports irl :P) and I'm still not a fan of it and obviously doing dungeons and all that is mandatory. I'm not entirely sure whether this game is really for me and whether the story is gonna be worth doing content I don't enjoy all that much.

So for now, after I finish 2.0 that'll be it. Also, TLOU2 releases this week, my free days of playtime end as well and I kind of need a break from XIV after playing it nonstop the past few weeks anyway :monster:

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I mean, I'm gonna call it quits after I finish the main story anyway, so I'm really not gonna do any of that :P

I have yet to decide whether I'll pick it back up at a later date. Thing is I never liked playing online games (or hell, even team sports irl :P) and I'm still not a fan of it and obviously doing dungeons and all that is mandatory. I'm not entirely sure whether this game is really for me and whether the story is gonna be worth doing content I don't enjoy all that much.
Even if you don't plan on going to Heavensward, I believe the base ARR game still includes the MSQ up to the end of the 2.56 patch and the content in the later 2.X patches has item level requirements for some of the duties, so there is still benefit to getting the Ironworks Magitek gear.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Oh I know but people say the 2.1 - 2.5 stuff is quite the slog as well so my interest in continuing past the base story is at an all time low :doh:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I've heard people complain just as much if not more about the post-ARR stuff...

The devs themselves singled out 2.1 and 2.2 as well:
"The content that was added in between Patch 2.1 and 2.2 was being developed before we received player feedback, and the quantity of quests was determined based on the time it would take to complete them all. This resulted in many tedious and roundabout quests in the 2.1 and 2.2 main scenario. For this section, we cut out anything that wasn’t directly relevant to the story."

It just makes more sense for me to use the ending of 2.0 as a jumping off point for now.

Anyway. Screencap time. :awesomonster:

Heckin' spambots again :monster:

1ZJxPei.png

Been checking out a few locations for photo mode:

r81Pb4O.png

LapMBHI.png

I don't think I was supposed to be up there...

4FWeXM7.png

Meditating before the final battle

odQCkkr.png

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So I just finished Castrum whatever and did Praetorium right after. Party took an elevator to which I didn't get in time. By the time I recalled it they had already moved on and I just walked through empty hallways. Felt my experience for the final dungeon was compromised and just logged out without finishing it because fuck it :closedmonster:

Kratos

Pro Adventurer
So I just finished Castrum whatever and did Praetorium right after. Party took an elevator to which I didn't get in time. By the time I recalled it they had already moved on and I just walked through empty hallways. Felt my experience for the final dungeon was compromised and just logged out without finishing it because fuck it :closedmonster:

Everybody has a bad first time through those dungeons if done with randoms - I vividly remember mine. It's why I go so hard out of my way to organize the min ilvl thing for friends who join; it totally kills whatever mood is built up by the story to that point.

The dev team tried to band-aid the problem by making the cutscenes unskippable, but it really just made the people who queue for those dungeons' dedicated roulette particularly salty and toxic.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Bored waiting to be queued into a dungeon, lemme just check my phone- excuse me, :quote:tomestone:quote: real quick:

FvoSeF6.png

I was wondering what those tomestones are that everyone is collecting to redeem for endgame shit. Apparently they're basically ancient Allagan smart phones. :wacky:

Alright, so to summarize my experience with the finale:

Castrum Meridianum went fine with 7 randos. Bosses went down pretty quick as is expected because people bring their OP gear. :monster:
Then came the Praetorium.

First off, I like that the party is actually visible in the cutscenes. Before, it was the story treating it as if you beat a bunch of dungeons and primals by yourself, even when you had to have a party to do so. So this is pretty neat!

iemKvFV.png

Of course, this final dungeon was where I got ditched as mentioned above. You needed to activate a thingy and then get on an elevator. The party didn't really wait to activate it and I and another person got left behind. I waited to recall the elevator while that other person just kind of went off to who knows where.
I was a little annoyed because there was an elevator prior and I was next to the switch and I made sure to wait for everyone to hop on before I pressed it, so uhm, rude. :puppy:

Anyway, what follows is a section where the party gets into Magitek armors. Which is really cool in theory except because I was left behind all the corridors were already cleared, heh. I wanted to take in the epicness of the final dungeon so as I said, I considered my experience compromised and just quit :P
The party can do without one DPS anyway :monster:
More like Warriors of Lame, am I right?

So I logged back in again a bit later. Lex and Roger came in for the rescue and did the dungeon with me instead. Much love and respect, guys <3

So this was done with just the three of us unsynced with Lex and Roger being level 60-ish (I think) so the dungeon wasn't exactly super challenging but also not a complete curbstomp battle, I suppose.

Enter the true Warriors of Light:

zINwyZd.png

And tbh, doesn't a party of three feel more like proper Final Fantasy?

8dDY9bX.png

harlRou.png

We whoop Gaius' ass and he just...casually walks away to the Ultima Weapon.

VxvqP58.png

Uhm, awkward, shouldn't anyone stop him? No? Okay we'll fight that giant robot then.

Sidenote: It took me until the credits to figure out why Gaius voice sounds familiar, he's the dude who also voices Ansem in Kingdom Hearts (except for 1 because Billy Zane, yo)

There's a bunch of stuff I didn't even notice until I rewatched that battle, like the absorbed Primals being released one by one during the battle. Mostly because that happened in the front and I stayed at Ultima's butt the entire time so my view of the Primals was blocked lol
The second phase had a whole bunch of lasers. Was kinda fun having do dodge all of them but only later did I notice they could be destroyed. Oops. Dodging them was probably more fun though...:P

Also, Ultima preparing to unleash...well, Ultima before it dies is something I didn't notice either, haha. I think we killed it pretty soon after that announcement was made. :P

The very definitely final battle against Lahabrea was over super fast. He went down like a chump.

Cue the celebration~

wrRWnUG.png

All in all those last bits were a decent spectacle imo. Wish there would've been more of that during the main story! The stage is set for more as the Ascians are still out and about and Bahamut roars from...somewhere. Heh, yeah, whatever did happen to Bahamut after he messed up Eorzea in the intro anyway? Guess that's a story for another time.

y0xqOLB.png

Ah, the Seventh Astral Era begins. Wait, can they really declare that already? The Seventh Umbral Era was really just five years long? Are you sure the world isn't still in deep enough shit to warrant this being called an Umbral Era? I mean, we literally just heard Bahamut and that's a chonky dragon. I feel like this is premature! :@

Anyway, my goal was to at least finish the main scenario in the 30 days of playtime I have, so that's done now. With only four more days left (less considering TLOU2 releases in two and I'll be playing that then :monster: ) I'm basically just faffing about now.

It took me this long to realize all the achievements you get throughout the game actually net you tokens which can be exchanged in Gridania. I wonder how much more basic stuff there is I managed to ignore after over 100 hours of playtime :wacky:
Anyway, I got myself one of these dumb Behemoth mounts that give me a heart attack whenever I see someone riding these. Seriously, if you're new to the game and you see a huge-ass Behemoth rushing straight toward you like a fucking freight train and you need a second to realize that it's just some dude on a mount? Scary as hecc, don't do that to me

HY4oQz4.png

I also got 400 of those tomestones from the final dungeons so I went and got a chest piece of one those Magitek armors from Revenant's Toll. Might as well, I guess. Still glamoring my ninja outfit though, the Magitek stuff is a bit too over the top :P

So hm. "Final" thoughts, I guess?

Mixed feelings about the MMO aspects. I've always prefered doing things solo in real life as well as video games. Probably isn't gonna change. That's partially also because of my crippling social anxiety (which I should totally get therapy for, which I'm not gonna do because of said anxiety preventing me from seeking help in the first place lol fml but that's a whole 'nother issue for a different thread I s'pose) so everytime a dungeon or whatever comes up I'm basically like "aw dangit" since this being an FF game and experiencing the story is basically the main reason I am here, not the multiplayer stuff. Having people I'm familiar with run them with me definitely makes the affair more fun and relaxed for me but at the same time I'm the type of person who hates having to ask other people for stuff because I keep thinking I'll just bother them and they probably have more important endgame shit to do than to deal with my newb runs :'D

So I don't know! I don't hate the dungeon and trial stuff but I always feel a bit anxious and uneasy about not knowing what's gonna happen and who the people are I'm gonna play with. That said, I also haven't come across any toxic people yet.
Funny to think I started out (unknowingly) as a tank. I don't think I could deal with essentially having to be the leader in a dungeon, lol. Switching to a DPS job first chance was the right choice for me, I think.

On the other hand, there is the part where this being an MMO makes it feel like this world is more...alive, I guess? It's not just static NPCs, there are people out and about doing their own thing. It's kinda fun sometimes seeing people's shenanigans at the Aetheryte plazas, whether it's people roleplaying, showing off outfits or bards playing for others' entertainment.
Or how when you're out adventuring you might see someone struggle and it feels good to help them out. And other times you might be the one who gets unexpected help, like that time I did that FFXI quest and that healer who was just passing by decided to throw a shitton of heals and buffs on me, making me temporarily invincible and all kinds of stuff. Those experiences are actually awesome and it's cool knowing this isn't some game mechanic, it's an actual human being somewhere who just decided to help you out for no reason. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside <3

It definitely makes you feel more like you're not just following the story of a character but you are a part of that world. TLS exists as part of a Final Fantasy game and that's kinda cool. There is a mansion that exists in the world of Eorzea with a guestbook that has people referencing the cookie monster emote and Yop doing his "it's Wednesday my dudes" meme (remember when that was a thing? =P). Can't find that in any other Final Fantasy game! :')

Or things like this:

rrv9Hgq.png

That reference there to the "Great Goobbue Wall" was a thing from the final days of XIV 1.0. The GMs would spawn hordes of mobs inside cities and players decided to defend Ul'dah in this hilarious way, by all getting on Goobbue mounts and forming a blockade.

7IXmJ.jpg

The fact that this event that was entirely player created is now a canon part of the Eorzean history is actually kind of amazing. Anyone who participated in that must've gotten such a kick out of reading that. I sure did, and I only know about it from my 1.0 research!

Gameplay:
Kinda like the story, this one remains kind of boring for a long time as you mostly do your basic 1 - 2 - 3 combo. Only towards the very end did it open up its potential with my job giving me access to more ninja hand seals that all need different combinations to memorize in order to activate techniques and the techniques themselves further opening up more possibilities to do more damage per second which is nice, seeing as y'know, that's my role description :monster:
The small delay between when you can use your next attack also felt a bit annoying to me so the ninja job having an ability to reduce the cooldown was a godsend. It's just a little bit but it helps making the whole thing feel much snappier.

As for the main reason I wanted to check this out in the first place, i.e. the world and story:

I do like Eorzea. I enjoy the look of the different regions and the art direction and the lore and the different races and peoples of this world. As for the actual story, well I have already complained about the slowburn that is A Realm Reborn. :monster:
And I do think I'm being a patient person as it took me at least 60 - 70 hours before I was like "alright, we gotta pick up the pace here folks."
I do think the ending was actually pretty good. At the very least they "finished" strong (quotation marks obviously because expansions and shit and A Realm Reborn isn't really self-contained after all with a few plot points left unresolved and the post-credits scene immediately throwing new stuff at you to worry about).

I feel like I do want to see the rest of the story for myself still. The amount of voices praising Heavensward and Shadowbringers in particular cannot be ignored. Most people seem to think of ARR as a bit of a hurdle to clear before you get to the good stuff and I got the majority of that out of the way now.
Now that I finished the base story I wanted to weigh the pros and cons of my experience and evaluate whether I enjoyed my time enough to warrant eventually continuing with the expansions and a subscription. I think I do? I think I do. At some point.

There's still more left to explore for me too. I only messed with the minigames in Gold Saucer for the first time today despite going there first chance I could, since I really wanted to focus on story quests first. This being an MMO obviously means there is an absolutely staggering amount of stuff to do and check out.

BUT.

...I really need a break from XIV for now. Going further would just risk burnout. That, and The Last of Us Part II beckons now. :monster:

So for now, the updates will come to an end. Thank you to everyone who had the patience to read all of this. I hope you enjoyed this thread somewhat. =)

Until next time, Eorzea.

Peace out, everyone~

ig6vewr.png

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Glad to hear you enjoyed the ending, Tets! I agree that they should hold off on declaring the Seventh Umbral Era over until at least Coerthas is no longer stuck in permafrost.

Tanking at early levels can be easy, can be terrifying. After relatively smooth rides in a few dungeons with DRK Dzemael Darkhold was horrid and humiliating.

What I love most of all about FFXIV is that the likes of Ultima, Ultima Weapon, Bahamut, Meteor all to have important interconnecting lore like they've never had before, and othe recurring elements of Final Fantasy will get similiar treatment. Hope to see you again online after TLOU2. Love to go through the Binding Coils of Bahamut and Crystal Tower with you!

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
At the very least... I'd find someone willing to do the Binding Coils of Bahamut with you, if just for the cutscenes. It's got some of the best storytelling in all of 2.x in it. Everything except one fight can be done with like... two other people.

The Crystal Tower raids are also good to do. You'll need them before you do Shadowbringers anyway and they're a really good example of how FFXIV makes references to past FF games will still doing it's own thing with them.

The FFXIV worldbuilding team has said Allagan Tomestones are like USB drives. Some quests (SB SMN quests for sure) end up referencing old data that was found on tomestones.

It's funny... when I started playing FFXIV years ago, I really didn't like tanking or healing either and felt super nervous about going into the multiplayer content. Five years later... and I found out I have a pretty good memory for mechanics. Or at least, the mechanics that have to be done right or raid gets wiped. Nowadays, I do a lot of tanking/healing and frequently take the roll of the person explaining the basic mechanics to everyone else in the party/alliance. Or telling newbies who are worried about being new that everyone was new at one point, it's okay if they mess up and that it's fine if they want to go through it slow.

I'm not going to say playing FFXIV helped me get over my anxiety or anything, but realizing that I was probably never going to run into the people I met in the Duty Finder again did help. So did turning off the Party Chat for the first bunch of times I tanked. It's definetly helped me be more comfortable trying out new things in an online setting since it turned out tanking/healing was't as bad as I thought it would be in the end and I can't see how that's a bad thing.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
At the very least... I'd find someone willing to do the Binding Coils of Bahamut with you, if just for the cutscenes. It's got some of the best storytelling in all of 2.x in it. Everything except one fight can be done with like... two other people.

The Crystal Tower raids are also good to do. You'll need them before you do Shadowbringers anyway and they're a really good example of how FFXIV makes references to past FF games will still doing it's own thing with them.

The FFXIV worldbuilding team has said Allagan Tomestones are like USB drives. Some quests (SB SMN quests for sure) end up referencing old data that was found on tomestones.

It's funny... when I started playing FFXIV years ago, I really didn't like tanking or healing either and felt super nervous about going into the multiplayer content. Five years later... and I found out I have a pretty good memory for mechanics. Or at least, the mechanics that have to be done right or raid gets wiped. Nowadays, I do a lot of tanking/healing and frequently take the roll of the person explaining the basic mechanics to everyone else in the party/alliance. Or telling newbies who are worried about being new that everyone was new at one point, it's okay if they mess up and that it's fine if they want to go through it slow.

I'm not going to say playing FFXIV helped me get over my anxiety or anything, but realizing that I was probably never going to run into the people I met in the Duty Finder again did help. So did turning off the Party Chat for the first bunch of times I tanked. It's definetly helped me be more comfortable trying out new things in an online setting since it turned out tanking/healing was't as bad as I thought it would be in the end and I can't see how that's a bad thing.
I think it helps doing a dungeon/raid as a dps first to know where you are getting into before healing or tanking there, to deal with anxiety...

another thing that worked for me was doing dungeons with my squadron to practice rotation.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

Hmm, interesting because the tomestone emote is definitely a smartphone :lol:

I think it helps doing a dungeon/raid as a dps first to know where you are getting into before healing or tanking there, to deal with anxiety...

Dps definitely feels like way less responsibility. I just have to worry about kicking mobs in the teeth and nothing else. Even Dps checks don't seem to matter anymore in those low level dungeons because bosses go down way too fast with everyone having high level gear or whatever. The few times I tried to react to the dps checks people were just like "nah, just stick to the boss", lol

I have a 60 day time card for you to redeem whenever you decide to start playing again, so let me know when you buy Shadowbringers and I'll ping you the code. I know we have The Last of Us II to contend with first :monster:

That's very generous although I don't know if I can accept, I don't want you to waste money on me :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So in the almost two months since the last time I played this I managed to pretty much forget how to play this game :whistle:
I guess I should beat up a few training dummies to re-memorize my ninjutsu combos and stuff.

Anyway, before my first month was up I managed to get some Ironworks Magitek equipment from Mor Dhona. I suppose that'll last me a decent while yeah? This better not become immediately obsolute five minutes into Heavensward or something :wacky:

So now that I'm back and that the remaining A Realm Reborn patch quests and such have been streamlined...I, of course do something completely unrelated :wacky:
I've been checking out the Hildibrand quests (as seen in the post above :monster: ) and the currently ongoing Moonfire Faire. So basically I'm doing an anime onsen/beach filler arc in between the main story arcs right now :P

So I've seen all the cutscenes from 1.0 and I remember Hildibrand catapulting himself towards Dalamud with what I think was Nael van Darnus' lance that they just kinda found somewhere in the ground or something.
Playing ARR I did encounter the Dapper Zombie enemies in the desert which I thought was just something random and hilarious but then the Hildibrand quest put the whole thing into context and its like...somehow this is a more mindblowing twist than anything from the main story so far.

So Hildibrand returns as a zombie except he's not a zombie but just a lucky idiot who somehow survived falling back to the ground but he still had an awesome rise-from-the-grave zombie flick-esque scene and I guess the zombies were like "cool, he shall be our leader" or something idk but the entire Hildibrand quest has been hilarious shenanigans and then we meet his father who is an Absolute Unit and it only gets better from there and I'm not even done.

Well then, as usual I like to spend time in photo mode in any game that has it so here's a bunch of screenshots :awesomonster:

Tets'yana cannot handle this man. As Tommy Lee Jones said to Jim Carrey once: "I cannot sanction your buffoonery."

FETYKli.png

h8vRSwp.png

rhxCTzs.png

Whaddup, it's Gilgamesh!!! =O

Kf6UZmw.png

All these people give my PS4 an alarming framerate

cNLHJaH.png

Giant bomb monster VS Supershark. Rad.

QnNC0Aj.png

Just a bunch of Regalias hanging out. Speaking of which, where do you get one anyway? Limited FFXV event or something? Will that return?

BXG4GeN.png

Relaxing in the water. If only this could be real life right now, the heat is killing me :')

CYy5ASm.png

Fireworks~~~

FzJLkty.png

Top Bottom