My First MMO: Tet's Eorzean Adventures [FFXIV]

Kratos

Pro Adventurer
I might be in the minority, but I liked the Beast tribe areas because they're tricky and dangerous (like an enemy stronghold should be). I don't think the whole overworld should be Eureka-style punishing, but it would be nice to have more areas that require you to do a bit more than walk across them to get from point a to b.

Kratos

Pro Adventurer
I have not actually been to any beast tribe areas yet :monster:

The Sylphlands are a Beast tribe area :desucait:

Beast Tribe zones remain fairly threatening places to go into (while leveling) right through Heavensward, but I found the Stormblood and Shadowbringers ones to be a lot less harrowing.

That's fair enough, but casting heavy on you and your mount should be grounds for burning down the Sylphlands :desu:

I think they took out the Heavy effect from enemy mobs a little while back, didn't they? Or was that a Sylphlands Exclusive?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So after helping the flying vegetable people I went to Toto-rak. First dungeon I have done with all randos, no TLSer. After a quick greeting we were off into the depths of this spider-infested hellhole. Things went pretty well. Only one time that one of these webbed archways pulled the tank in too soon and closed behind him and the rest of the party was briefly cut off having to cut through the webs and stuff.

The cutscene before the boss...I skipped it. :lol:
I know, I know. You told me not to worry and just watch them. I hate feeling like I'm gonna keep people waiting though! Everyone was just ready to go. It did compromise the experience though. Afterwards I went back to the Inn to watch what I missed and it was actually somewhat important - one of those masked robed dudes showed up again. Now I know that they're called Ascians. (more like ass-ians amirite huehue good one tets)

So I went and retrieved the Sylph elder. Since I was now lvl 30 it was time for another class quest with my pirate bros :awesome:

991NV34.png

I found myself somewhat invested in the conclusion of that little arc. I actually gasped when that Yellowjacket captain was struck. She's been giving the Rogues shit but y'know, she was still one of the good guys! But hey, she made it so it's all good.

Also, have a few random screenshots because I like taking photos in games

Z1FwOwQ.png

WA2mQls.png

So the next class/job quest had me investigate some shifty types that seemed to be new in town and not who they pretended to be. I'm not saying it's Ninjas...but it's Ninjas.

tM4zfU2.png

So I'm talking to the good guy ninjas and then the dude above shows up because he's like a traitor or something who made backdoor shady deals with The Evil Empire and he tries to ninja-star my face off except my character goes all

KZyNequ.gif

and they're like "nani the fuck" and because I've got good guy ninja's dead brother's soul stone and it resonates with me or something he's like "yo I'mma teach you ninjutsu" and so he does and I get to equip the damn thing and boom, Ninja job achieved baby

So now it feels like mechanics might actually start to become interesting? So far it's been mostly cycling through the same two - three attacks that work as a combo ad nauseum with maybe a few buffs thrown in for longer fights.
Ninja adds Mudra aka hand seals. You execute hand seals and then use the Ninjutsu command. So far I only have one so it's as simple as doing that one mudra and then ninjutsu to perform a Shuriken move.
But eventually there'll be more Mudra learned and the way I understand it, specific combinations trigger different jutsu.

In other words, we leave behind the world of swashbucklers and have instantly gone full Naruto

8vR4F.gif

Whenever my daggers are drawn my character even does that dumb ninja run! :D

tenor.gif

Oh yeah, and I have a spin jump. It doesn't do anything differently - it just looks cool.

Also, for the first time since I completed the Novice tutorials at lvl 15 I found better equipment. It ruined the look of my character though so I used ~Glamour~(◡‿◡✿) for the first time to keep the appearance of my current gear. Being stylish is important, yo. I also glamoured myself some frickin pants on because I was getting tired of that outfit's skirt and the amount of pantyshots that it allows for, let me keep some dignity while doing spin kicks and flips, dammit. :@

Look, finally wearing pants again :')

yMUrwSN.png

I also unlocked that PvP stuff but outside of finishing the quest that got me there I didn't bother looking into it.

What else...

Oh yeah, my Chocobo can now join me in battle!

While I was doing that sidequest, I ran into tons of obvious bots probably farming gil.

Look at this shit!

That went on for a good bit longer. Fairly obnoxious I gotta say.

Now that I'm level 30 I can also accept that FFXI limited crossover event quest. So that's the next thing I'm gonna tackle before going back to the main story! :monster:

Oh, I also left an entry in the TLS mansion guest book. I also went into Lex's private house while he wasn't there. Sorry you had to find out this way.

edit:
Forgot this bit:

1bcvE1b.png

Horsebirds. He called Chocobos Horsebirds.

...doesn't that ring a bell? :desucait:

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I feel like I'm swimming in money and barely ever spend anything except in teleportation fees.

I almost bought a red panda for 20K gil from the market board though...

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Gpose is... so much more than just photo mode... You can do things like pause emoticons or actions in one place and then move the camera around to make sure it's the best angle. Or adjust the lighting so it's doing all kinds of things. It's a ton of fun...

Ninja will eventually get three Mudra that they will use in a variety of combinations to cast... ninjutsu. The job plays like something out of a ninja anime and the quests gleefully head straight into that territory too.

AF3_Ninja.png

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I've been meaning to do another "my exploits so far" type of post but the MSQ is so dreadfully boring that it sucks all energy and motivation out of me to do so :monster:

I *really* should have waited for patch 5.3. They're telling me "oh shit, we gotta worry about the primal Titan!" and I'm like "oh here we go!" and then I'm just being sent to a dude who gives me a fetch quest that sends me to another dude who gives me another three fetch quests of his own and it just keeps going like this. You're doing a quest for a guy which is part of a quest for another guy who's part of another guy's quest. There's layers to this shit!

"Kill five midge swarms!" is maybe acceptable for a lvl 1 quest but at level 35+???

Z9cd7pq.gif

This is just painful at this point.

I know the consensus seems to be that Heavensward is where the really good stuff begins apparently but I thought ARR was at least decent? But it's just mind-numbingly boring in the story department. I usually never find myself skipping dialogue but it's becoming more frequent for me here because the NPCs just seem annoyingly verbose and eager to tell me their life's story and none of it has any relevance to the plot. It's just pure filler.

Sorry just had to whine for a bit and get it out of my system. =P

Lex

Administrator
I did warn you that the quests between Ifrit and Titan were the most obnoxious :monster:

After Brayflox/ Titan, it does start to calm down. But that is also where I lost focus when going through the MSQ my very first time.

ARR's story is excellent actually, it's just the telling of it that's a bit garbo. I specifically remember being around Costa Del Sol before Titan and stopping and just going "what is going on here? What am I doing?" - something to do with food for a feast? I can barely remember it tbh, it was 7 years ago at this point :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The stakes get higher after Titan for sure and the pace of the story picks up also. Getting there can be a slog though. Part of the problem is that the story kinda needs to build up what "normal" for the Scions is from scratch, and that takes a bit too long.

It's... amazing 2.0 has a story that isn't totally crap though, given the team was pretty much working at half strength to get both 2.0 and 1.0 content out the door at the time. If feels like it's a decent story that could have used a few more play-tests to iron out the pacing... which it was not going to get at the time it was made.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So anyway I've done the FFXI event a while back. So this character Iroha somehow crosses from Vana'diel to Eorzea and loses their memory or something.

rfmAj6M.png

Of course never having played XI I have no idea who the heck that Iroha character is but here we are looking all cool after beating up a few helpless crabs :monster:

Hp4pg6q.png

I like how the "Quest Complete" thing changes for this event to something FFXI-styled. The shitty jingle that plays I assume is mostly likely straight from XI as well. :P

CSQTeto.png

Most of these quests are FATEs (aka Full Active Time Events) which basically means I still occasionally run into them when I pass by those areas even though I cannot accept the actual quest anymore.
There were usually a bunch of randos present during those FATEs. That one time fighting this huge ass monster in the desert, one of them randomly invited me to a party (which was just the two of us). Not sure what the point was but they were a healer class and I assume this'll make things easier for them because they can see other peoples' health in the party list?
Of course, they didn't need to heal anyone else for this in the first place since this is technically a solo quest but maybe they just wanted to, being a healer and all :monster:

The final quest in the XI crossover was a bit weird then because it was also technically a FATE but at the same time, I also needed to trigger it for myself?
Basically I got to the spot and people were already engaged in battle with this huge enemy. There was a glowy spot saying "destination" which was different from the other quests as they didn't have that, you just went to the spot and either the FATE was already underway or you needed to wait a while for it to trigger again.
Even though I tried to activate it, it just said "the battle has already begun" so I was like "cool, I just jump right into it then?" and so I did.

So the randos and I beat the boss and the FATE was over, Iroha monologued a bit and left again but...the quest info didn't update for me. The glowy "destination" was still there too. It seemed like it didn't count?
So I went to the spot and triggered it and yep, the boss battle event started all over again except now I was all alone since all the randos already left!
This was pretty awkward as I basically needed to interrupt the battle several times and walk away to recover whenever I drew too much heat from the boss as otherwise it would've killed me. =I

Then at some point some random healer came by and saw me struggle. They didn't join the battle but just threw a bunch of healing spells and buffs on me and rode off into the sunset again.
Me:

9g58V23.jpg

Didn't even get a chance to thank them, bless their kind soul.

So I finish the XI quest, Iroha remembers stuff, it shows a bunch of images from throughout the game and plays an instrumental of Distant Worlds. If I had played XI, this is where I would probably get emotional. :wacky:
For some reason she stays stuck in Eorzea though. It's okay honey, your face has more polygons here, it's not all that bad.
The rewards are Iroha's outfit which doesn't really have great stats but I used bits of it for glamouring some of my equipment with better stats but shittier looks.

So I continue the main story and as you could tell from my post above I'm getting real tired of everyone's shit at this point as the story is like "yeah we really gotta do something about Titan!" so we search for this guy who was part of the company of heroes that defeated him some time ago and of course he's like "well but you gotta buy groceries for me first or something"

Y'shtola's there and she just goes off on him

VjJnZ8L.png

I'm thinking the game shows some self-awareness and acknowledges the errands have been getting a tad ridiculous and surely Y'shtola is gonna tell him to fuck off and get to the point but somehow she caves in and I'm stuck running errands for the dude anyway and those errands lead to running more errands for the other former company members and uggggghhhh

Me giving Y'shtola the side eye for giving in so easily:

4ftN7HG.png

So all this is about getting ingredients for some kind of stupid banquet or whatever?
After all this tedium I go back and he's like "yeah it's for some important Miqo'te and an adventurer..." and I'm just sitting there like

GKG4IBk.gif

bitch did you just make me set up my own fucking banquet?

yes, yes he did

pmEuS0r.png

well at least it was good I guess

So he finally tells me how to get to Titan. We use an Aetheryte to teleport straight into his living room

I say "we" but it was really just me canonically but for some reason it's still a 4-people party trial.

So I see Titan and it's basically this guy:

1200px-OoT_Darunia_Artwork.png

He gets his teeth kicked in and plot happens. The Ascians are working with the Empire it seems because of course they do.

I get a call to return to the Waking Sands and I am seething.
The amount of times you have to get back there is stupid.

At this point I wish somebody would just burn it to the ground. Just tear it all apart, kick the doors in and just smash the shit out of everyo-

jbUikjQ.png

....oh

Uh. I....uh.

I am ashamed of my words and deeds.

Even the little vegetable fairy is dead noooo

LeekuyH.png

=(

But shit still needs to be done and the Ixals have summoned their primal, Garuda. So now I'm looking for Cid's airship. I have yet to find it. :monster:

Random other things:
I've been experimenting with the UI a bit. Since it allows you to have different presets I basically now have a UI for general questing and story stuff where most things are kind of out of the way and unobstructive/transparent and one for party stuff/dungeons with on-screen info and gauges being closer to the center of the screen and the hotbar being visible at all times and stuff.

Also been doing some of those optional dungeons that I had unlocked but didn't bother doing before.
No trouble in either of them although I find it funny how sometimes the game basically throws shit at you during a boss that is clearly meant for the DPS to take care of but on two or three occasions so far it seemed like it was better to just ignore it anyway? Like I had moments where I was like "oh shit, I better take these guys out" but then someone would just be like "just focus on the boss" so like, I'm trying to do it right but then doing it "right" turns out to be slower/less efficient :wacky:

That's also another thing where as a newcomer, the dungeons just...don't seem interesting. There is no way to take anything in, no way to figure anything out. There is no true "first time" experience because people have done stuff a million times before so you just end up tagging along with more experienced people that know exactly where to go and what to do. It's a weird experience.
In my imagination I can see running a dungeon for the first time with a bunch of friends, figuring out where to go and how to beat the boss being kind of fun. But alas, I am several years to late for that, so basically everyone running dungeons is like this:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Also joining a party in FATEs = better bonus rewards, but I think it needs to be at least a four-man party to see a difference.

It's true that it makes a hella lot easier to target a player and apply buffs and healing when in a party.

If you want to experience a dungeon as a first timer would, you can create a request on Party Finder asking for newbie players to join you (so you can experience what it's like to wipe multiple times on Cutter's Cry or Aurum Vale... oh wait it still happens anyway lel)

Last edited:
Top Bottom