New Mod Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lex

Administrator
I've given a lot of thought about how to proceed with voting to ensure it's as fair as possible. The trouble with fair voting is that we can't use polls, and no vote will be completely fair because people are always going to show a bias toward people they know (this isn't always a bad thing). So this is going to be a little complex, and similar to a system Aaron used years ago during another round of staff recruitment.

I briefly thought about temporarily hiding the questions thread and taking each person's posts, giving them a codename and commencing voting that way - this would ensure a certain degree of impartiality, but I anticipated a bit of backlash because that doesn't quite work with warning (people would just fire in and screencap it, or they'd probably recognise their friend's writing style anyway).

Also, I know transparency is something everyone wants to see.

To that end, here's how this'll go:

How Voting Works

There are 10 candidates:

Gabe
Satsu
Carlie
Vader
Lith
Joe
Force
Channy
Darth
Splintered

Please go read their answers to questions in this thread to help make your decisions!

You are required to rank seven candidates from 1 (most preferred) to 7 (least preferred). Points will be assigned based on how you rank them (your number 1 will receive 7 points, your number 7 will receive 1 point).

You are optionally (but encouraged) to rank your remaining three candidates from 1 (most preferred) to 3 (least preferred). Candidates in this category will be assigned negative points (-1 to -3), so this is an opportunity to exercise a negative vote should you feel some candidates wouldn't make a good mod. You can choose to only negatively list one or two people rather than all three, just make sure to assign a number (1 for -1 points, 2 for -2 points, 3 for minus 3 points).

Anyone you leave out will of course get 0 points.

How to Vote

Your actual vote post/ PM will look something like this (without the point descriptions):

Preferred candidates:

1. Alpha (7 points)
2. Bravo (6 points)
3. Charlie (5 points)
4. Delta (4 points)
5. Echo (3 points)
6. Foxtrot (2 points)
7. Golf (1 point)

Negatives:

1. X-Ray (-1 point)
2. Yankee (-2 points)
3. Zebra (-3 points)

If I wanted to give Yankee just -2 points and leave X-Ray and Zebra, I would just write: "2. Yankee" and ignore the others.

You have options. You can choose to remain anonymous (except to mod staff, because we need to count the votes) by PM'ing your vote. In order to ensure we don't make mistakes and everyone can be clear that the vote isn't rigged in some way, people who PM their votes are required to send the PM to me, Octo and Yop. Octo has volunteered to help me count, whereas Yop acts as a triple check. You can of course PM any staff member if you don't trust any of us, but you must also send the vote to all three of us so that we can count them.

Or you can choose to post your vote in this thread. I find it fairly unlikely that a lot of people will want to do this if they're including negative votes, just be warned that using a public negative vote as an opportunity to flame or troll will not be tolerated. Please keep it civil and mature.

You do not need to provide reasoning for your choices, but can of course do so if you're publicly voting and feel the need to justify how you're voting.

The final points tally will be posted publicly and voting will be open for one week, closing next Saturday.

Recap

• Rank seven candidates from 1 (most preferred) to 7 (least preferred)
  • Optionally, assign negative points to one, two, or all three of the remaining candidates (1 = -1, 2= -2, 3= -3)
  • Either post publicly or PM Me, Octo and Yop (all three of us) with your votes. Indicate in the PM whether you're happy for a mod to anonymously post your rankings in the thread (your rankings will be posted, your name won't). You can indicate that you want your rankings kept anonymous, but keep in mind that we can't keep the names anonymous from the mod section because that's how we'll be counting votes.
  • Keep it civil and professional. Using the negative voting system to be a dick (i.e. troll or flame comments) will result in your vote being discounted.
  • The final points tally will be posted publicly and voting will be open for one week, closing next Saturday.

Happy voting!

EDIT by Octo: extra clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I should have asked ages ago but do we (existing mods) vote too?

Lex

Administrator
Yes :monster:

EDIT: Everyone gets a vote, nominees included. And yes you can vote for yourself. Although obviously doing so publicly isn't likely to win you points with other people XD.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
VOTE CTHULHU, WHY CHOOSE THE LESSER EVIL

CItEojcUkAABeKL.jpg

Carry on :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I choose to protest against the current voting system by voting everyone number 1

Everyone is beautiful snowflakes
carry on

For real though, I think I'll sit the voting out unless we actually lack votes to the point where it might not be representative of the member base here :monster: I (hopefully) doubt that'll happen!

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Just putting this here too to be extra sure.

Guys you have to PM your noms votes! to all three of us - Myself, Lex and Yop. You can send them to another staff member as well (not instead) if you don't trust us, but we all have to be able to verify them. Thanks.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Also please don't forget to indicate whether or not you're happy for us to post your vote in public without your name. So far 6 or 7 people have voted and nobody has said anything about this, meaning we'll just assume you're not happy for it to be posted (which is fine if that's the intent XD).

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
As long as the names aren't revealed it makes sense to make the actual votes themselves public, imho.

Lex

Administrator
Well if people don't explicitly say "it's ok for you to post this" we have to assume we can't. Obviously final points will be posted when voting closes, but depending on how people feel it could make sense to post all the votes that led to the final numbers.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I don't see what's wrong with posting numbers since we don't even know who has and who has not voted. But whichever I guess. :hohum:

Lex

Administrator
This is why I said before to include whether or not you're happy for your vote to be posted without your name in the thread. If people are gung-ho about transparency, there is the option of publicly posting your vote here instead of PM'ing us :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I don't much see the point of random public posting of votes unless there was a lot of feedback past the numbers tbh

Plus, explicit consent

Lex

Administrator
So far around 10 people have voted. I think I can say generally that a bunch of people stressed that anyone in their negative category (where there was one), that it was nothing personal.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
If I get negative feedback I wanna know about it! Anonymously with consent, of course :awesome:

I'd be curious to see if it's something I could work on as a human being on the internet :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I have a vote here that LITERALLY goes "yeh m8 that gabe dude sux i h8 him so bad & he shold gtfo imo id rather haev user name back kthx"

tru

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I need to remember to make my decision tonight too. This is actually quite tough, in a good way though, not a negative way. Agh. :awesome:

Lex

Administrator
So far there have been fifteen votes. There are a few things I can say, as me and Octo have been counting the votes as they've been coming in:

- Originally there was a tie between the two people with the most points (when we were about 7 votes in, two people had 34 points each). Now one person has quite a lead.

- The margin between the second mod spot position is very slim. There are about 5 or 6 people all within 10 points of each other, so further votes will have an impact.

- You only have two days left to vote! I'll be closing voting on Saturday at 7pm BST (that's 2pm eastern time in the US). Make sure you get your vote in before then.

- Two people of the fifteen who have voted said they were OK with us posting their vote without their name. Since I'll be posting all the points that led to the numbers at the end anyway, we've decided just to leave it until the end.

Lex

Administrator
For the sake of transparency, I've instituted a new rule (I should have thought of this before we even started voting) - the mods obviously have a bit of an unfair advantage because we have the ability to tactical vote since we can actually see the vote count. So the new rule is that mods have to have their votes in a day earlier (i.e. tomorrow, Friday 29th April) by 19:00 BST (14:00 US Eastern Time) to somewhat curb this.

EDIT: To clarify, most mods voted on day one. There are only two who haven't, and might not.

Last edited:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
15 votes seems like a small turnout considering how many members are on the forum. Maybe adding a week will get votes from a more sizeable portion of active members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom