New Rebirth Trailer

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I made more diagrams.

Here's my wholistic view on multiple universes/timelines. I've often theorized that the original game occurred in a separate universe and memories of it somehow made their way to the Beagle Stamp universe. From there, the party's actions in Remake affected the Terrier Stamp universe, resulting in Zack's survival. Like what @Suzaku theorized, I think Barret, Tifa, Red XIII, and Aerith in the Terrier Stamp universe somehow made their way to the expressway without Cloud.

timelines-rebirth-trailer2.png

And for the heck of it, here's how I understand the various time travel theories out there. After the original game, Sephiroth and Aerith's memories somehow made their way to the past, which rewrote history. From there, the party's actions in Remake rewrote history further, resulting in Zack's survival.

overwrite-rebirth-trailer2.png

Last edited:

MoLe_BlAdE

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Maaaaaannnn, my brain is absolutely fried with all these different theories. I'm not nearly intelligent enough to fully understand or even begin to theorize what's happening here :monster:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Maaaaaannnn, my brain is absolutely fried with all these different theories. I'm not nearly intelligent enough to fully understand or even begin to theorize what's happening here :monster:

Lol I think the same sometimes. I'll just stick with my theory of Zack being dead, and everything we see involving him, is just him not realizing he is dead yet.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Because I like a bit of anarchy I'm going down the Gaia Vs Terra theory that the Zack timeline is the flip of a coin decision and everything thereafter is the butterfly effect while cloud and co play out their own "new" future. Both are playing out at the same time and the connecting thread is the lifestream which is being played like a fiddle by sephiroth.

Absolutely unfounded theory ofc but id like the end battle to be the accumulation of both roads meeting at the final boss and then a sort of mergence where Zack and Cloud fight Sephiroth independently then combined as the two realities merge.

Depending how the Aeriths death pans out it may even end with Zack and Aerith disappearing together as the lifestream corrects itself and removes the influence from sephiroth.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Shinra's Media, Sephiroth's claims, Cloud's memories, AND Tifa's memories are ALL unreliable sources of factual information.

According to Cloud's memories, this is what happened when Sephiroth arrived in Nibelheim:
FFVII-00309-Kalm-Flashback-Nibelheim.png

– That version of events never occurred in any reality or alternate timeline. It's just an outright false narrative that's created thanks to Cloud's muddled up brain.

According to Tifa, this is what happened when Sephiroth arrived in Nibelheim, and Cloud was never there.
maxresdefault.jpg

– That version of events didn't occur either – but only because the truth is obscured since Cloud IS there but his presence is erased from her visibility, since he's not a SOLDIER and his face is underneath a helmet.

According to Shinra, this is Nibelheim, it has never burned down, and has always looked like this:
nibelheim.png

– That version of events is untrue and doesn't reflect a different reality or alternate timeline. It's an outright fabrication created as an intentional cover story to obscure the reality of the events that took place, and replace it with a more preferable narrative that they want.

In reality the original Nibelheim looked like THIS before it burned down and was replaced by a copy that Shinra created.
nibelheim.png

Whether it's missing information, misremembered information, an inaccurate conclusion, doctored information, or outright fabricated narrative – there's no reason to go placing any of those events into a chain of alternate timelines of Final Fantasy VII's chain of reality.

Even in Remake we've been presented visual information of something that isn't real. The "Sephiroth" that you're chasing through the Shinra Building and who kills President Shinra & Barret isn't Sephiroth in the flesh – it's Cloud's slum neighbor, Marco whose physical appearance is replaced by that of Sephiroth and then manifests into Jenova Dreamweaver, dissipating upon his death. The "Sephiroth" Cloud chases out across the helipad isn't him either, but the other former SOLDER tattooed test subject that Cloud encountered with Aerith.

You saw those things in-person, and until that illusion was broken, the experience that you felt and the reality of what you believe occurred didn't ACTUALLY match to the reality of what was truly occurring. There was no way to know until you had the concrete evidence of reality to compare it against.

So...

What I'm most curious about is WHY so many people think that what we see in the start of this new Rebirth trailer being live publicly broadcast footage aired by the Shinra News Network with Barret, Tifa, Red XIII, & Aerith being recovered is real and/or that it fits into an alternate timeline.

Cloud isn't there – and we know for a fact that he was there with those four. That ALONE tells you that something isn't entirely accurate about what you're being shown. Without Cloud, there's no reason that Aerith or Red XIII would likely have ever met up with Barret & Tifa at all, so it doesn't mesh with the idea of being a part of a timeline without Cloud due to Zack's survival. It's infinitely more plausible to be something that isn't real.

If you still find that to be plausible enough that you need to find a way that it fits into alternate realities, you have to consider this:
  • Is the scene of Cloud seeing himself as one of the cloaked figures in the Whirlwind Maze also something that's real or a part of an alternate timeline?
  • Is the claim that Sephiroth killed Tifa something that's real or a part of an alternate timeline?

You can't take ANYTHING you see here that contradicts known narrative at face value, or treat it as being credible information.

That's the whole point.

After all, the VERY FIRST Rebirth trailer opens showing Cloud & Sephiroth walking together in the outskirts of Nibelheim... which as I covered earlier is a sequence of events that literally never actually happens at all in ANY timeline despite us SEEING this and even being something that we're going to play thought as if it WERE real.

X :neo:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
What I'm most curious about is WHY so many people think that what we see in the start of this new Rebirth trailer being live publicly broadcast footage aired by the Shinra News Network with Barret, Tifa, Red XIII, & Aerith being recovered is real and/or that it fits into an alternate timeline.

The way I see it, referring to the OG to explain Remake's mysteries begins to fall short when considering the "other memories" experienced by Cloud and company.

Nothing in the lore so far, neither Jenova or Shinra propaganda, explains how Cloud saw a vision of platefall when arriving in Sector 7, nor his vision of Holy when discussing Aerith's "useless" materia. Or everyone's collective vision of meteorfall upon damaging Whisper Harbinger.

These memories had to come from somewhere. And so, people generally fall into one of two camps: either the memories came from an alternate universe, or they came from the future.

I can give my opinion. Explaining the wreckage footage as Shinra propaganda doesn't sit right with me because it's not a strong narrative hook. Certainly not strong enough to open a trailer with. Maybe Elmyra and Marlene will be sad/confused upon viewing it, but how big of an impact can that make on this globe-trotting adventure. Additionally, what does Shinra gain from producing fake footage? They still pursue Cloud and company, as shown by their encounter in the Mythril Mines.

Let me put it another way. The storytellers are building a grand mystery here. Remake ends with Zack surviving and Intermission ends with disarray at Aerith's church. The wreckage footage feels part of that. It's distinct and separated from the rest of the trailer's content, which more or less focuses on what we know of the original game.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
The way I see it, referring to the OG to explain Remake's mysteries begins to fall short when considering the "other memories" experienced by Cloud and company.

Nothing in the lore so far, neither Jenova or Shinra propaganda, explains how Cloud saw a vision of platefall when arriving in Sector 7, nor his vision of Holy when discussing Aerith's "useless" materia. Or everyone's collective vision of meteorfall upon damaging Whisper Harbinger.

These memories had to come from somewhere. And so, people generally fall into one of two camps: either the memories came from an alternate universe, or they came from the future.
That's all with regard to things that we know from the original game in juxtaposition to how events have differed in Remake, and with the different version of Stamp in the post-end-credits, that still all tracks just fine. It's about JUST the Shinra News Footage in particular that's what I'm focused on.

I can give my opinion. Explaining the wreckage footage as Shinra propaganda doesn't sit right with me because it's not a strong narrative hook. Certainly not strong enough to open a trailer with. Maybe Elmyra and Marlene will be sad/confused upon viewing it, but how big of an impact can that make on this globe-trotting adventure. Additionally, what does Shinra gain from producing fake footage? They still pursue Cloud and company, as shown by their encounter in the Mythril Mines.

Let me put it another way. The storytellers are building a grand mystery here. Remake ends with Zack surviving and Intermission ends with disarray at Aerith's church. The wreckage footage feels part of that. It's distinct and separated from the rest of the trailer's content, which more or less focuses on what we know of the original game.
See, I think that this isn't any different than Shinra pulling the trigger on the Reactor Explosion in Remake, and that the narrative hook is precisely in line with everything that they've done with their media throughout Remake. Additionally, the narrative focus is on the direct aftermath of where Remake ended which is why it's that's where the trailer opens. Thematically the trailer opens with Shinra showing a false narrative, then moves to Tifa discussing the inconsistent narrative between her & Cloud's experiences in Nibelheim, and ends with Sephiroth lying to Cloud. The trailer just covers lies being told by all four of the key perspectives, and how they're slightly more nuanced and have some different focus than the original game, but the underlying motives for those lies are all the same.

Specific to Shinra:

We know that Shinra's overtly been lying to the public in publicly televised media about HUGE things – and all specifically in regards to the splinter cell of AVALANCHE. Shinra framed them for the explosion of Mako Reactor 01, which they triggered themselves. Shinra framed them for the destruction of the pillar and the collapse of the Sector 07 Plate, which again – they did themselves. Shinra has a deeply vested interest in being able to manipulate the narrative of public perception with regard to those specific individuals, so showing them being defeated after an attack against the Shinra HQ is authoritarian propaganda 101 – NEVER let your enemy make you look weak, and ALWAYS show yourself as being the reasonable & benevolent one. This sets up so that any action Shinra takes against them is always publicly seen as necessary reaction and prevents Cloud & Co. from gaining public support.

This new footage shows the individuals who were seen involved with the attack on HQ all incapacitated and Shinra rescuing them from the destruction of a natural disaster. Anyone of the Shinra employees who saw or encountered them during their infiltration and attack on HQ who are aware of who they are feels safe that Shinra has the matter completely under control (Shinra isn't weak and they're being reasonable). Anyone who knows them in the slums sees them defeated and under Shinra's custody and doesn't feel motivated to make an attack themselves because that would end with that same defeat (Shinra isn't weak and thus opposition is futile). Anyone who doesn't know those people just sees Shinra being benevolent and rescuing citizens and a dog from the destruction of an unprecedented disaster, just like they did after the Reactor 01 explosion (Shinra is resilient against any adversity, they're safe and trustworthy). Again, that's authoritarian propaganda 101.

There's another facet to this though – which is that Shinra are establishing footage to make it easier for them to connect the dots and use the AVALANCHE crew as scapegoats in the future because the public will have seen footage of them before, OR will be able to recognize them if they're brought up again and see how people saved by Shinra SHOULD be grateful and put aside their differences for the greater good – which is always what Shinra says it is and not what the extremists who oppose Shinra are doing. That's important because of what the AVALANCHE attack on HQ really was and why it's being overtly covered as a natural disaster:

From the Compilation, it's pretty clearly implied that Rufus is the one funding the operations for the branches of AVALANCHE that Mayor Domino is partnering with in Remake, and whose assault begins during Chapter 17 (the helicopter that the Turks shoot down when Rufus arrives). Essentially, this attack on HQ was always a power play for Rufus to seize authority by having President Shinra assassinated in a conflict, and take command directly while being in a position to easily shut down AVALANCHE because he was running it from behind the scenes. That's also why establishing narrative that overtly focuses on the rogue splinter cell and continuing to reframe the narrative that Heideggar and the President were orchestrating to amplify tensions with Wutai is a key step in Rufus taking power.

With the damage from the tornadoes from the Singularity (not to mention the vortex of Whispers around Shinra HQ that only Rufus could see), it makes it likely that this footage is also a part of the Shinra News broadcast that's going to announce that President Shinra died during the disaster, while simultaneously showing that Rufus is already in command. Again – never showing weakness, and pumping up public support, which will lead directly into why everyone is so amped up to give their new President a massive parade welcome in Junon.

That's why having overt attention focused on Shinra maintaining their "good guy" image & starting that narrative in conjunction to seeding footage of the scapegoats at the same time will make it easier for anything AVALANCHE does now to look like they're ungrateful people attacking the benevolent Shinra who's always JUST trying to help them. Rufus will once again have control over the entirety of the AVALANCHE situation, including the rogue splinter cell in a way that works to serve his interests, and without contradicting what his father had already done.

Not only that, but this also means that Shinra has an established precedent that allows them to guide a future narrative to facilitate public awareness of mutual cooperation if they need to – which is exactly the move that Rufus makes to bring everyone together when Cloud hands over the Black Materia and the Weapons get released at the North Crater. This bit of News is in a position to start building up a story that's making it easier for Shinra to pull the AVALANCHE folk in to playing along with the lie or reinforcing the false narrative regardless of what actions they take with or against Shinra. That's the whole point of Propaganda as a power play and why narrative control matters.

Remember that the Shinra News footage doesn't show them dead – just incapacitated and being rescued from a disaster by Shinra.

So, that will mean that everyone will ask the question, "Why would Shinra lie about rescuing AVALANCHE? What good does that do for them? It doesn't make any sense?" while the members of AVALANCHE would always be expected to lie about being saved by their enemy. You control what conclusions someone will jump to because it's focusing on a long-term strategy, and people in crisis are only focused on short term facts and expectations.

With the way that footage is presented, Barret, Tifa, Red XIII, & Aerith could all have escaped custody afterwards and ended up right back where they all ACTUALLY are now outside of Midgar. So, the public won't believe that Shinra's version of events would be false, and there's no reason for Cloud & Co. to have any evidence that that DIDN'T happen. (Also, speaking from experience, this is why when you're dealing with narcissists and habitual liars, the things that matter most are having receipts and proof of countless amounts of minor details that they're going to lie about, because it takes an avalanche of evidence to expose that and undermine the credibility that they're establishing with their lies). That's why propaganda and gaslighting focus on minor details that seem not to matter, because it's the death by 1000 cuts of undermining the credibility of your opponent and making them lose face over and over and over against an unassailable wall of lies, where they become too focused on the lie crippling their ability to get help from people around them, and so clearing their name and alleviating that struggle means that that they lose sight of the big picture...

...which is EXACTLY what happens to Barret when he confronts President Shinra and demands to clear AVALANCHE's names and tell everyone the truth, and doesn't instead demand to shut down the reactors.

Propaganda is control that crosses multiple levels in ways that seem innocuous unless you already know what they're trying to do multiple steps down the line (which we do, thanks to the OG & Compilation). This footage makes perfect sense just as media establishing narrative precedent in a way that gives Shinra an advantage for whatever it is that Cloud & Co. do next, as ultimately that will be the critical detail that will influence the situation where this game is likely to close off with Shinra seeming to team up with AVALANCHE in the face of an oncoming apocalypse. (Which is really just getting them to give over all their information and let down their guard before serving them up as a scapegoat to the public, so that Shinra doesn't lose face or seem like they're weaker than the scenario of an apocalypse).

:awesomonster:

Also: The narrative perspective doesn't match anything in the alternate timeline.

ALL of the moments that are confirmed to take place in the alternate timeline are all ONLY focused on Zack when it comes to the camera and narrative focus. Zack is essentially always in-frame for every one of the scenes that definitively involve those events, and they're focused on him experiencing differences that directly impact him. Zack doesn't know Barret or Red XIII, he barely knows Tifa, and Aerith is the only one he does know. The four of them have no reason to have met without Cloud bringing them together, and Cloud isn't there in the footage.

It's far more likely that this footage is literally part of how Rebirth ACTUALLY starts with an opening cinematic overtly showing you an inaccurate series of events that contradicts what you KNOW just happened... because that's what is going to be happening throughout the entire game, and that means that even someone who never played Remake will be able to pick up that there's something off about what they're learning from various sources (and in interviews they've explained that the game is designed for someone to be able to play it without having played Remake and still understand what's happening).

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Well, we can agree that Rebirth will likely open with the wreckage footage.

Here's how I'd do it: Begin with the camera zoomed in on a wreaked mako pipe. Pull the camera out to reveal the entirety of Midgar, however sectors 1 & 2 are demolished. As the camera is pulling back, the Shinra broadcast is interlaced explaining the disaster. Once the city is revealed, the camera begins to zoom back in. But now it goes to Zack and Cloud approaching from the outskirt (i.e., the first trailer's CGI).

Essentially recreate the iconic FF7 opening but for the Terrier version of Midgar.

Here's a visual I made to show how I think the Rebirth trailer follows up on some of the mysteries introduced in Remake.

Picture3.png

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So, I think it's worth addressing WHY there were any Tornados in the first place, as it's a bit of an interesting limitation on the Whispers.

First & foremost, we know that the original Final Fantasy VII has a number of tornados create destruction in Midgar during the Meteofall event. So, there is an established timeline where this destruction occurs in Midgar, and assumedly some number of people die as a result.

As far as we can tell, the Whispers can't directly cause anything to deviate from previously established events, hence saving Barret from being stabbed as well as preventing Cloud & Co. from the bridge collapse during the freeway chase sequence. They also demonstrate that, so long as it matches what occurred previously, they are capable of modifying something even if that occurs out of sequence. Wedge doesn't die falling during the attack on the Pillar like in VII, but he DOES die falling out of the Shinra Building in Remake. So it makes sense that they're bound by some sort of temporal rules in what sort of ways they can influence things around them, even while they're generally invisible like the wind.

In the Singularity at the end of Remake, it seems like they're still bound by operating according to some range of those general rules. The Tornados that emerge are formed by Whispers in the sky and seem to touch down only in places where Meteor's Tornados will in the future that cause that same damage. This would mean that however events end up getting resolved by them in the Singularity, they would potentially be able to have those things inserted back into the timeline outside of the Singularity without causing a disruption to the flow of events that were meant to transpire.

So when they start tearing up chunks out of the ground, these Whisper Tornados duplicate all of the objects that they pick up, and they only carry away the duplicate. They don't actually leave any sign of physical damage behind whatsoever. However, Cloud & Co are NOT duplicated, but are JUST picked up without leaving a copy behind. That being said, they did already all cross through the Singularity on their own in order to get to this point in the first place so maybe a version of themselves got left behind when that happened and they would have just woken up there if they'd failed to win against the Whisper Harbinger (and potentially this may be what shows up on the Shinra News broadcast if it's not Shinra making up an alternative narrative themselves).

So, at this point, it stands to reason that the Singularity is where there are overlapping convergences of possibility occur, but they still have to take the shape of things that have already occurred in an established series of events – like the Whispers utilizing the characteristics of the Sephiroth Remnants who have yet to exist but are a part of that sequence of future events.

That being said, AFTER the defeat the Whisper Harbinger Cloud & Co. end up somewhere else entirely which Aerith awkwardly doesn't elaborate on – which seems to point to what's happening not being the same as that temporal Singularity where everything was being appropriately contained by the Whispers. At this point, without the Whisper Harbinger present, there's the potential for something to not be totally contained.

Then suddenly, Meteor immediately emerges as a temporal anomaly, which is then rapidly contained by a torrent of Whispers and wrapped up back into – Sephiroth. The emergence of those Meteoric Tornadoes do seem to cause more direct damage to the Midgar cityscape, as does Sephiroth telekinetically hurling chunks of debris and trains at the party. So, there's a possibility that this caused some of the previous damage created by the Whisper Tornados to actually occur out of sequence and means that the earlier Whisper Tornados may have caused real damage.

As Cloud lands, there's a wrecked Mako Reactor behind him, though you can't clearly see a number on it, and I don't believe it's visible in the battlefield. (Someone more well-versed in the technicalities of Midgar's architecture might be able to pin down whether or not this seems to overlap with the damage seen in the start of the Rebirth trailer). The final phase of the battle with Sephiroth is Meteor emerging at which point, it's a countdown to Game Over. That may suggest that the damage from Meteor's brief incursion was ACTUALLY occurring, or you could interpret that as just a contained event in the Singularity that would definitely kill Cloud & Co.

With the end of Remake going from Cloud at the Edge of Creation looking at the two divergent paths of events and then the next footage of Cloud & Co. being outside of Midgar, we don't really know too much about what a normal person living in Midgar would have been able to see of all of that confrontation taking place.

Even then, the first shot post-Edge-of-Creation is actually of Rufus looking out of the window, since he'd have had a different view of those events to anyone, and the News Broadcast in the Rebirth trailer is fittingly Shinra's public perspective creating a unified narrative of what occurred.

Not only that, but when the very first vortex of Whispers forms, it's centered around Shinra HQ in Sector 0, and while Cloud & Co. can see it, Rufus is also one of the only other people who sees this convergence of Whispers, as Tseng doesn't notice them at all:

So, this sets up Rufus as the head of the new Shinra having a perspective of what occurred that is not just operationally but also LITERALLY different than the other current Shinra Executives – with the potential exception of Hojo. We've seen Hojo getting carried away by Whispers and it's unclear whether or not there was any contact with Aerith or the others would have caused that the way Cloud's encounter with Rufus seems to. The trailer does have Rufus mention Hojo talking about "Shadows of the Man" so it seems to imply he does go to Hojo looking for information on some of the odd goings ons.

Rufus seems to immediately pick up on something being off with Tseng's total lack of acknowledgement of the Whispers everywhere in Remake, and so there's an important dynamic to establish as his leadership and outlook perspective for Shinra are ALSO different from his father's. Thus, individuals like Heideggar are less comfortable in being able to act freely, and that sets up for some interesting dynamics when it comes whether or not his subordinates are just Yes Men, or if they'll potentially think that he's a bit crazy and have more incentive to try to scheme amongst themselves.

Moving into the Rebirth trailer, this change also impacts how Shinra's narrative is going to be written, since Rufus is very much trying to pull the others in line especially in the public eye – and they're all going to have to contend with something that they may or may not be able to see themselves, but that Rufus CAN see. This also brings up the possibility that some people out in Midgar may have seen the Whisper-formed vortices that would be more clear, whereas others may have just seen debris getting tossed around in the air. Rufus seeing the Whispers means that Shinra might also be trying to identify individuals who saw what Rufus did.

It's hard to tell how much of the damage seen in the footage would have been from some sort of temporal mimicry of the Whispers copying damage that Meteor would eventually cause on Midgar, and how much was a the result of the battle with Sephiroth causing destruction. Even then it's still hard to state what the average person would have seen had they looked out their window at it all during that time, given the lack of detail about the Singularity and jumping past Cloud & Co. actually exiting Midgar, so I'm curious if Rebirth will jump directly into the aftermath, or if we'll get any live footage of the destruction before the mysterious duplicates get shown.

For now, it's difficult to definitely differentiate destruction that has a perfectly plausible cause to take place in the same series of events as our main characters vs. something that may have only happened in an altered timeline that the surviving Zack will occupy that's not concurrent with the one that the party is in. However, there is one thing that stands out, which is TIME.

Speaking of which:
Here's a visual I made to show how I think the Rebirth trailer follows up on some of the mysteries introduced in Remake.

View attachment 13644

There is ONLY smoke during the scene when the Whispers are still present and BEFORE anything at all changes with Zack's destiny. This smoke cloud immediately vanishes as soon as the Whispers do and the Midgar that Zack starts heading to is perfectly clear with no sign of any disaster whatsoever.

Even the lighting from the sky overhead when Zack is standing outside the church is brighter than the overcast rain that Cloud & Co. have outside Kalm, so it's highly unlikely that there is still a massive haze of billowing smoke from city-wide disaster up on the plate.

While that side-by-side seems compelling at a glance, it's more of cherry-picked examples that only LOOK potentially similar, as it doesn't really represent a matching narrative point to those two events if you follow the narrative sequence of things that occur as we're shown them. Even beyond that, Zack's confrontation with the Shinra army occurs in the end of September [ ν ] – εуλ 0007, and the Bombing Mission at the No. 1 Mako Reactor doesn't even occur until at least after December 9th when the Turks confronted Zirconiade, with the events of the whole of FFVII spanning from December 0007 - January 0008.

That's a period of time that's two months that you have to account for in whatever Zack is doing in this altered sequence of events where he survived and succeeds in getting himself to Midgar. To put this in perspective, the amount of time that Zack has to do things before the Mako Reactor No. 1 gets bombed by AVALANCHE – is LONGER than the time that passes during the ENTIRETY of FFVII from the No. 1 Reactor Bombing to Sephiroth's defeat at North Crater.

The ONLY thing that definitively changed is that Zack survived that encounter, and there's nothing that clearly suggests that there's any temporal distortion that would displace him and the defeated Shinra Army into a later point in time. While we see the sparkling dispersal happening in the post-Plate-collapse slums, the Whispers being defeated in a Singularity means that they're vanishing throughout space-time, and no longer keep events the way that they were in the current Remake timeline OR in a timeline where Zack survives.

On top of that, from that same ending, we know that Cloud & Co. walk from Midgar to Kalm in a single rise-to-rest span of a day, so even with the added travel time of dragging comatose Cloud along on foot – Zack is likely going to be at Midgar in early October 0007 at the latest. While the intercuts of those events make it feel like they're just BARELY missing each other, especially in the end of vanilla Remake, Aerith & Cloud are actually just passing by memories of something that had happened two months earlier rather than crossing paths simultaneously with Zack carrying Cloud in a separate timeline. It's just another visual to communicate that those sequences of events don't occupy the same timeline.

When it comes to Aerith having been waiting for Zack to come back for YEARS, Zack having been alive at that exact spot just a couple of months before FEELS like she might as well have just missed him be mere moments, as that's the sort of struggle that you get with finality like death taking someone away from you. As much as the FFVII Remake Project is poking at this alternate series of events, it's important to underscore that the emphasis is on communicating what that sense of loss is like.

That's why it's important to make sure that we take what we know about the established timeline when analyzing portrayal of the new events, so that we don't conflate things that are sequentially different with ones that FEEL the same, but don't line up correctly.

(Also, let me know whether or not the timestamps work with these, as it's sort of inconsistent when I'm testing them, and I'm more than happty to edit these into a link rather than embed if that makes them work correctly).

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
The plating on her armguard feels like a tribute to Sonon's shoulder armour to me:

df4ry3x-b6ddef42-5e68-480b-ae6c-78472fe4a30a.png
As for the belts and removal of her fishnet, that's up for debate. Potentially the same reason Tifa's Nibel outfit has been changed? I don't particularly mind either case but it would make some sense.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
There are a lot of reasons why Yuffie's design could have changed. From regional design guidelines, to multiverse variations, to basic character growth. Honestly would be impressed if they addressed it in-game. I doubt it, though.

Also, could that golem with a red stone as eye inside Mythril Mines be... the lost unrealized OG FF7 Golem summon?
I'd be down for them using un-used concepts and ideas like that.

The things this trailer has me excited about, however, are the bits they show off from the combat. This game looks like it'll be a blast.
vlcsnap-2023-06-19-11h10m23s797.png

By now, everyone's noticed that shot of Tifa and Aerith sort of "waiting in the wings" just beyond the combat zone. We're all thinking the same thing: FFX-style character switching in combat.

vlcsnap-2023-06-19-11h12m11s133.png

But it looks like it goes deeper than that. I can see Aerith is actively attacking from beyond the combat zone, assisting Red XIII and Yuffie. I don't know what the limitations are on this, but that blows my mind. Also worth noting here is the 11,018 meters on the marker up there. That's nearly SEVEN miles, for you Americans. This game will likely have huge zones for traversal.

vlcsnap-2023-06-19-11h10m50s764.png

The fact this marker is shown in both the English and Japanese trailers tells us we were likely MEANT to discover it. They want us to know how big the game is. Also, if you look just right of that tree, you can see Tifa coming up the path. The characters outside of the actual combat have to be there for something, right?

vlcsnap-2023-06-19-11h11m39s935.png

I mean, there's Barret back there!

vlcsnap-2023-06-19-11h08m06s994.png

And lastly, it looks like the Chocobo Ranch will be some sort of hub, with characters waiting back there upon your arrival. Very FFXV vibes here, which is great! Does this mean Kalm may also be a hub? Fort Condor? I need to know!

The Librarian

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Sammy
I think there's a possibility that there isn't any in-combat character switching and that they're just there to "set the scene" so to speak (and be present post-combat), but the chocobo ranch as a hub seems fairly likely and I am here for that!

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
By now, everyone's noticed that shot of Tifa and Aerith sort of "waiting in the wings" just beyond the combat zone. We're all thinking the same thing: FFX-style character switching in combat.

My early guess surrounding the swaps, is instead of merely switching in like ff10, that's when the "double techs" will be used.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
My early guess surrounding the swaps, is instead of merely switching in like ff10, that's when the "double techs" will be used.
Ah, like you can only double tech with the out-of-party characters? Neat

Edit: ah wait, all the double techs they’ve showed have been between two characters both in the party. I’m back in the FFX-style camp.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Whoa. That… is the world’s tiniest Tifa. On mobile that’s on par with finding Saturn with the naked eye.
I have these screens blown way up to look at them. I even have side-by-sides of the game footage so I can see the little differences in the localized footage. I am preposterously excited for this game.
vlcsnap-2023-06-20-00h48m19s063.png

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
I noticed the Wishlist page on PSN for the game is using what looks like a higher quality version of the Sephiroth and Cloud screenshot they released last year, or at least it is when you open it on PS5. Wish they'd be more consistent.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Ah, like you can only double tech with the out-of-party characters? Neat

Edit: ah wait, all the double techs they’ve showed have been between two characters both in the party. I’m back in the FFX-style camp.
I'm still holding out hope. Looking at the hub, each pair doing the double tech, is on the top and bottom. Maybe the character that is brought in, immediately is shown at the top. I gotta keep hope alive (most likely denial haha)

Top Bottom