• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

NEW TRAILER: State of Play May 2019

donkeyjack

Pro Adventurer
I'm not knowledgeable enough to meaningfully partake in this VA discussion, but I cannot suppress the urge to make a correction:

That's not the church. That scene with Aerith & Cloud takes place in sector 8 on the upper plate (rhyming not intended) just like in the original . The only difference is the lack of destruction in the background. Take a close look at the blurry surroundings. You can even see a car and 2 people walking by behind Cloud & Aerith when she's catching up to him.

Lmao, the dude is just wild now. It was clearly after the Mako Reactor Bomb Assault.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Well the major difference is she’s supposed to charge him for it :monster:
Well, if Aerith isn't charging Cloud that one gil for a flower, than I guess this Remake is 5EVER RUINGA'd the Complication of VII!!!!

:monster:

Real talk, since this takes place after blowing up the Sector 1 Mako Reactor and since AVALANCHE used a bomb to break out of a wall just minutes prior, maybe Cloud's eardrums are still ringing from all the explosions, so, maybe it goes down likes this:

Aerith: Hey buddy, do you want to buy this flower? They're only a gil each!
Cloud: IS THIS A FLOWER? FOR ME? THANK YOU!
Aerith: Hey, wait! That'll be a gil please!
Cloud: THANK YOU!!
Aerith: ...

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Well before you die on this hill, maybe wait a bit after it’s out, then ask some of your friends who play it whether the new voices are any good. You might like them.

Maybe, but while there are a couple of exceptions of what I've heard and seen in most things that I like(for example, I preferred Terri Hawkes as Serena/Sailor Moon(the Serena name is the DiC English name in the first English Dub), Meowth's and James' second voices in the Pokemon Anime, plus Yuffie's voice actress Mae Whitman in KH2 and Dirge of Cerberus(I actually wouldn't mind having her return as Yuffie if her first one from KH1 and Advent Children was unavailable) and all three had actually preferable good replacements that lasted longer than the first time(well, Yuffie only have four appearances with two voice actress in two different games/movies) like with Lance Bass only voicing Sephiroth in KH1 and since then had been George Newbern, if the current/permanent Pokemon Anime voice actors haven't gotten to me yet, I doubt the new voices in the Remake ever will.

Or to make it less confusing, I've grown too used to voices that have lasted for a long time before they had permanent replacements which don't sound right because it feels and sounds wrong to hear a different voice for characters who had the same voices for years.

Example; The old Pokemon English Cast had been voicing the Pokemon human Characters(and Meowth since he's the only character who isn't human but can speak human language) for eight years that was perfect, but for all of them to be suddenly replaced and sounded off from the beginning and still sound wrong today is just asking for wishing for the old voices to come back. People had been asking for Veronica Taylor to reprise her role as Ash even in the I Choose You movie but were denied that wish.

So yeah, I'll most likely won't be able to like the new voices of Cloud and everyone else in the Remake and future titles/appearances.

For me, if there’s an option to mute voices entirely, like there is in FFXIV, I’ll be quite happy. I’d rather the music take focus, and I can imagine the voices to my perfect liking. If there’s not, I will still play it.

Maybe they should start going the mute voices option in the future if it wasn't too expensive. Otherwise I'd do the same thing as FFXIV and if the Remake did that, I'd pretend the original voices were back.

Tash how can you give something a chance when you've no experience of it you're saying it like you tried to play and complete it and will never go back to it because it sucked.

You've seen a 2 minute trailer....I genuinely can't get my head around how you've come to that conclusion when there's not a lot of dialogue and info to go on in the first place.

If you really feel strongly about it then fine but wouldn't it be better for you to base your choice in it once we have A LOT more to go on than just the limited amount of info released so far.

Let's face it up until the most recent trailer there was pretty much radio silence on what was going on with it from the last one we saw

Well, I watch the trailers of games first and then decide on whether I should play them or not. So far yeah it looks great in graphics, I'm not gonna push my luck.

And there's no evidence that it's being treated as some sort of hard reboot start fresh thing. Because otherwise the Japanese voices would have changed too. It just probably has to do with the voice acting business stateside. I don't think it was the strike from a couple years back, but something like that perhaps. Or, yeah, maybe some new localization director just never liked the Compilation voices, we know absolutely nothing and this is all wild speculation. Hell we don't even know for certain whether other voices will change or not, we only heard 3 in the trailer.

If it is the case of the new localization director hating the Compilation voices, then maybe he/she must've hated it and wants fans who loved the voices and grew fond of them to think like him/her or wants new fans to never get into the Compilation. Plus if Cloud, Sephiroth and Barret got all new voices which to me don't suit at all right now, then there's a chance all of them have changed.

The only way to find out is for E3 in a few days.

I was wondering the same. I guess she really likes the original voice actors. They were more important than the game and it must be a pretty big deal breaker that they were replaced. Like, I didn't see the Solo movie, because I think only Harrison Ford should own that role; I know it's an on-screen role but still! Though I bought a Toy Story Woody doll a long time ago, and the voice in the doll turned out to be Tom Hanks' brother Jim; I wasn't upset about that. I suppose it's up to one's preference and what thing will outweight the other depending on the product; and to Tash, the voice actors outweighed the game.

Number 1: Yeah, I really like the original voice actors because, seventeen years of hearing them and then them being replaced is like they'd been killed off and the newer actors who don't even come close just sounds and/or looks wrong. Same with Daddy Day Care(Yes, I'm a fan of Eddie Murphy and yes I am aware he wasn't voicing Donkey for the Halloween Special back in 2010 which also sucked but I do have to admit Dean Edwards wasn't too bad but I still preferred Eddie), since I haven't seen the sequel due to the actor changes, otherwise I would've seen it for the fun of it.

Number 2: Jim is a hit and miss whenever he voices Woody in Tom's place in certain non-main movie appearances, but still preferred Tom none the less(though I haven't seen the third film yet due to the story-line and how serious it looked, and the fourth film...well...same reason as the third).

Number 3: I wouldn't mind seeing the new scenes for the Remake, and hoped for some Compilation material to be seen, but yeah I definitely would've liked for at least some of the original actors to return. As I said, the ones I always felt and knew would have replacements were Aerith(because her Crisis Core Actress voiced her more than Mena and Mandy), Red XIII because he only had six words heard in total, and Hojo since in the Japanese Dub there's no choice but to replace him because his original actor is dead, and Paul Eiding refuses outright to voice Hojo ever again which even I can understand because Hojo is utterly the most irritating guy in existence.

Well the major difference is she’s supposed to charge him for it

Maybe Aerith thought Cloud was too cute to resist, reminded her too much of Zack and decided to give him a flower for free.:awesome:

Personally, not charging Cloud in the Remake is actually a bit minor. But yeah, you're right. It is a major difference.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Number 1: Yeah, I really like the original voice actors because, seventeen years of hearing them and then them being replaced is like they'd been killed off and the newer actors who don't even come close just sounds and/or looks wrong.

I believe it's only 10 years. Advent Children came out in 2005 and 2015 was the last time we heard the original dub in the PSX trailer. I personally liked the performance of Cloud's dub so far in the State of Play trailer. And this coming from someone who prefers Japanese version most of the time.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I believe it's only 10 years. Advent Children came out in 2005 and 2015 was the last time we heard the original dub in the PSX trailer. I personally liked the performance of Cloud's dub so far in the State of Play trailer. And this coming from someone who prefers Japanese version most of the time.

Yeah, but Steve's been voicing Cloud since KH1 when it came out in 2002, so that counts.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Yeah, and that's a pretty long record for him.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, and that's a pretty long record for him.

We'll look at it this way. Instead of saying it felt like they "died" and replaced, let's say they graduated from the part. Singers from various groups would leave for whatever reason and someone else comes on board. Taking over the mantle as they say. It's how the entertainment industry works.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
We'll look at it this way. Instead of saying it felt like they "died" and replaced, let's say they graduated from the part. Singers from various groups would leave for whatever reason and someone else comes on board. Taking over the mantle as they say. It's how the entertainment industry works.

Speaking as an actor, we kind of get in the business because we’re explorers, we like getting into different heads and telling new stories. Film, theatre, and VA have very different workloads, but having done all three I can say that playing any one character for too long becomes more of a pay check and less of a passion. Look at Pirates of the Caribbean 5 — they’re all so damn bored.

Now, that said, if I had done all the sequels, prequels, and spinoffs as Cloud, and they were remaking the OG, I would certainly want in on that, as it’s not only the biggest paycheck but also the best, longest, and most dynamic arc for the character. If I were Burton, I’d be devastated, and I’d probably be firing my agent right now. But I don’t know the guy, he might have been “not interested” or in it for the moolah, or he might have been a nightmare to work with, or (and this is my opinion) he’s just not that fuckin good.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
Sorry to interrupt the VA conversation, but...

It's finally done!

Just in time to generate some more hype for Square Enix's E3 press conference on Monday.

The second part of my FFVII Remake State of Play trailer analysis focuses on combat and UI and I'm afraid I've gone completely overboard on that one...

Anyway, whenever you have an hour of free time to spare, please check it out and tell me what you think!

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Dissidia NT wasn't released until January 2018, so closer to 16 years for Burton.

Not to mention that Steve was still doing Cloud in the DLC scenes(even though that was only for when Cloud was talking to Squall, Noctis and Kain but still) so it wasn't that long ago either.

Hmm...another thought occurred to me despite that it still doesn't make sense considering how Steve's taken down his "Voice of Cloud" from his Twitter Account, but maybe he was only meant to voice Cloud for the Mobius scenes with the Remake Storyline and not for the actual Remake and had been too busy with Dissidia NT as was George Newbern with Sephiroth(though I don't see Sephiroth having anymore appearances with is voice in the DLC in the future) to even have time for the Remake.

...Okay that doesn't make sense either, but it's just a thought.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Hell, Burton could STILL voice Cloud in future Dissidia titles, and just not the FFVII remake. We just don't know at this time.

Maybe that's the case.(And I seriously hope you're right about this) Though given how Steve has taken down one part of his Twitter Account, that's not a good sign.

Top Bottom