• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

NEW TRAILER: State of Play May 2019

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
And I highly doubt they'd do that. Like, ever. I don't see them creating brand new sequel spin off series from scratch, especially with AC being a thing.

Oh, I bet they will. I mean, the Pokemon Anime's original storyline is still going while at the same time a reboot movie and it's own sequel came out already, and there's also a Remake of the first Pokemon Movie(which that remake in it's new CGI form looks absolutely terrible, almost as bad as the Detective Pikachu Movie) coming out next month.

If the Pokemon Company guys can do that, so can Square Enix. Nomura once commented on doing remakes of the other Final Fantasy VII games, which, given how the OG's remake will go into a different direction, I bet there will be a reboot Compilation that will come along with it. I could be wrong and I'm HOPING that I'm wrong, but at this point, I think it will happen.

Granted not for everyone but Haley Joel is sounding less and less like a convincing teenager with each iteration of the franchise. However, the voice work decisions fall a bit more on the shoulders of Disney than S-E in that series. Since Disney is a major stakeholder in that.

Yet they didn't hire Hayden to reprise her role as Kairi since she's the original voice in KH1, KH2 and Birth By Sleep as well as voicing Xion in Dream Drop Distance. I mean, yes the poor thing had issues after giving birth to her first child, but she reprise her role as a character in a Live Action TV series she starred in, and yet she'd been completely unaware that she was replaced in KH3 like in COM and 0.2: A Fragmentary Passage.

So it's either just money issues or that they decided that they utterly hate the original voice actors and decided to go for newer ones or something else entirely. Gosh, even Iago's voice actor wasn't asked to reprise as role in the Live Action remake of Aladdin that came out recently but was aware of the film none the less.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
Sakurai's Cloud>>>>Burton's cloud.
Realest shit. I don't mean to sound like a Dub VS Sub snob, but ever since I heard Sakurai in KH and AC, he's what made Cloud real to me. Not Burton.

I don't mean to hate on him, though -- I don't hate Burton as Cloud. I just always thought that SE could have casted better VAs for Cloud than Burton, and I'll admit that he grew on me and that he's vastly improved over the years. But I always thought that Cloud could've sounded better in ENG, be it if Burton had gotten actual VA training, or if Burton had a better understanding of Cloud, or if the voice direction was very specific for every scripted line, or if they replaced Burton with someone who had better qualifications.

Cause let's face it: Steve Burton is an Actor, not a Voice Actor. You might not think there's no difference, but there is a big difference between both. He's never done any other voice acting work outside of Cloud, so I don't think he's actually built any experience over the years trying to voice different characters, and it really shows sometimes.

If SE gave Cloud's ENG voice to an actual VA, then I'm glad cause it means that actual voice acting work is going to voice actors, assuming that SE has replaced Burton as Cloud.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Oh, I bet they will. I mean, the Pokemon Anime's original storyline is still going while at the same time a reboot movie and it's own sequel came out already, and there's also a Remake of the first Pokemon Movie(which that remake in it's new CGI form looks absolutely terrible, almost as bad as the Detective Pikachu Movie) coming out next month.

If the Pokemon Company guys can do that, so can Square Enix. Nomura once commented on doing remakes of the other Final Fantasy VII games, which, given how the OG's remake will go into a different direction, I bet there will be a reboot Compilation that will come along with it. I could be wrong and I'm HOPING that I'm wrong, but at this point, I think it will happen.

*Sighs* Seriously?

For one, Pokemon and Final Fantasy are two entirely different franchises, catering to extremely different demographics. Pokemon's anime is strictly there to promote the game, and sell merchandise. The same narrative weight that is present in FF is not there with Pokemon, because it doesn't have to be. It's bluntly, a promotional tool for the game. So yeah, they don't really have to color within the lines of continuity. It's there to just be fun and entertaining as a glorified commercial to what Nintendo is trying to sell.

Also, one series is for children, and the other is for teens, young adults and adults. Not to say adults don't enjoy Pokemon, but Pokemon is a kids' series first and foremost. Again, I don't even know how you can try to compare the two.

The Pokemon Company switched voices because here in the US, the franchise shifted from 4Kids to Nintendo's Pokemon Company. They didn't want to deal with 4Kids' history and wanted a fresh break. Japan didn't have a massive seiyuu reshuffling, they just have kept it the same.

The same people who wrote the Compilation of FFVII, are the same people who are doing the remake. And they presumably would still be around after the Remake. They have no reason or desire to want to 'reboot' what they feel proud of with FFVII. Do you really think Nomura, Kitase, Nojima and the others are just that eager to chuck AC and the rest of the Compilation out and do it all over again from scratch? Especially when they've all been proud and pleased with the work, and are using its designs and story notes in other shit? Come on.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
*Sighs* Seriously?

For one, Pokemon and Final Fantasy are two entirely different franchises, catering to extremely different demographics. Pokemon's anime is strictly there to promote the game, and sell merchandise. The same narrative weight that is present in FF is not there with Pokemon, because it doesn't have to be. It's bluntly, a promotional tool for the game. So yeah, they don't really have to color within the lines of continuity. It's there to just be fun and entertaining as a glorified commercial to what Nintendo is trying to sell.

Also, one series is for children, and the other is for teens, young adults and adults. Not to say adults don't enjoy Pokemon, but Pokemon is a kids' series first and foremost. Again, I don't even know how you can try to compare the two.

The Pokemon Company switched voices because here in the US, the franchise shifted from 4Kids to Nintendo's Pokemon Company. They didn't want to deal with 4Kids' history and wanted a fresh break. Japan didn't have a massive seiyuu reshuffling, they just have kept it the same.

The same people who wrote the Compilation of FFVII, are the same people who are doing the remake. And they presumably would still be around after the Remake. They have no reason or desire to want to 'reboot' what they feel proud of with FFVII. Do you really think Nomura, Kitase, Nojima and the others are just that eager to chuck AC and the rest of the Compilation out and do it all over again from scratch? Especially when they've all been proud and pleased with the work, and are using its designs and story notes in other shit? Come on.

Well, if you think about it, both the Pokemon Company and Square Enix started off in Japan, and up until Final Fantasy XI, most of the main games of both franchises were extremely similar when it comes to gameplay, especially the battle sequences.

They had issues with 4Kids' history and still do? That sounds too much like how Square Enix still has issues with Nintendo even after a decade or two or even three.

And plus, the guys who did all of the FFVII titles certainly lied about continuing the Compilation for ten years, with Nomura having said that there would've been more FFVII sequels after taking a break from re-doing Advent Children, and then went up back in 2017 and finally told the truth that it wasn't meant to be at all and instead the series ended with Crisis Core without saying anything and that the main reason why they didn't do more was because of money.

So, given the choice, they can easily decide to make a new reboot series without even saying anything until they bring it up on people. They wouldn't necessarily throw out their previous work, just...start right from the beginning without throwing away their other titles. Or for better words, they can still keep the Compilation around without getting rid of it while working on a new series all together.

Plus, they probably don't want to remaster Dirge of Cerberus due to it's gameplay and graphics in-game, and their excuse for not remastering Crisis Core is "because it already is in English".

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
....To be honest, I think Dirge of Cerberus could use a bit of a reboot. :monster:

But Tasha, I think you're...I don't know how to put it into words. I just think it's sad that you think that a change in the voice cast will completely ruin the Remake for you, when it's just one part of the game. A game that came out 20+ years ago with no voice acting in it at all. It's so much more than just the voices of the characters, you know?

But if a change in the voice cast is enough to make you think that VII is ruined forever, well, I don't know what else to say. Aside from the usual "if you don't like it, don't play it".

They had issues with 4Kids' history and still do? That sounds too much like how Square Enix still has issues with Nintendo even after a decade or two or even three.

...*looks at all the SE games that have been released/ported over to Nintendo consoles* Alright, what the hell are you talking about now, I thought this little tiff SE and Nintendo had already ended years ago.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well, if you think about it, both the Pokemon Company and Square Enix started off in Japan, and up until Final Fantasy XI, most of the main games of both franchises were extremely similar when it comes to gameplay, especially the battle sequences.

What...?

Um, no. No they do not have similar gameplay or battle sequences. Not... At all. The only commonality between FF and Pokemon is they're "turn based" and RPGs. I... Don't know what you're talking about. They are not "extremely similar" at all.

The only Final Fantasy that came anything close to Pokemon in terms of similarity of gameplay is World of Final Fantasy. And that game came long after FFXI.

.....What are you talking about? Square's issues with Nintendo ended in the early 2000s.

Now?

Cloud Strife is in Super Smash Bros with Midgar as the stage. Square's ported almost every Final Fantasy to the Switch. They were releasing improved ports of classic Final Fantasy titles for the Gameboy Advance. There's been no "issue" for a very, very long time.

And plus, the guys who did all of the FFVII titles certainly lied about continuing the Compilation for ten years, with Nomura having said that there would've been more FFVII sequels after taking a break from re-doing Advent Children, and then went up back in 2017 and finally told the truth that it wasn't meant to be at all and instead the series ended with Crisis Core without saying anything and that the main reason why they didn't do more was because of money.

Actually that wasn't literally what they said they were gonna do. They said that given the amount of stories they had in mind, they could continue it for 10 years, but that wasn't a planned goal for them. People rode on the literal words of that answer, way too hard. They never intended to just keep going a decade making titles for it.

So, given the choice, they can easily decide to make a new reboot series without even saying anything until they bring it up on people. They wouldn't necessarily throw out their previous work, just...start right from the beginning without throwing away their other titles. Or for better words, they can still keep the Compilation around without getting rid of it while working on a new series all together.

Plus, they probably don't want to remaster Dirge of Cerberus due to it's gameplay and graphics in-game, and their excuse for not remastering Crisis Core is "because it already is in English".

...Except they don't plan on making a rebooted series. That's not what the remake of FFVII is for. Again, why would they do that? The same people who drafted the Compilation of FFVII are the same people doing the remake, and what the hell would make them decide, "Yeah, let's just do it all over again cause fuck it, why not?!" Considering the amount of pressure and hard work went into AC that took *years*, no. They're not gonna just do that all over again for funsies.

And why would they have TWO spin off series for FFVII?? What the fuck..?

That's some DC Warner Bros levels of derp that I don't see Square undertaking for no reason at all.

They probably don't see a reason of remastering DC or CC because one is a PS2 era game they've probably lost given their track record of losing master game files from that era, and CC because its a PSP game and they had a hell of a difficult time bring Type-0 to the PS4. It's not easy. Maybe if the Remake does well and they've got nothing to do they'll remaster them but now they're focusing on their current projects that need more attention than those games.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
....To be honest, I think Dirge of Cerberus could use a bit of a reboot. :monster:

A Remaster of that would be fine for me.

But Tash, I think you're...I don't know how to put it into words. I just think it's sad that you think that a change in the voice cast will completely ruin the Remake for you, when it's just one part of the game. A game that came out 20+ years ago with no voice acting in it at all. It's so much more than just the voices of the characters, you know?

But if a change in the voice cast is enough to make you think that VII is ruined forever, well, I don't know what else to say. Aside from the usual "if you don't like it, don't play it".

I am aware of the original game not having voice actors. I was just hoping the Remake would've made connections with the Compilation and was kinda expecting only a few characters having voice changes, not the entire cast. Not to mention that I was hoping to see signs of said Compilation in the Remake and tried giving it a chance, but yeah, I'm not gonna even bother playing it now. Not just because of the voice changing even though I hate it when they change voice actors in most occasions, and yes the game goes look good in gameplay and graphics.

But as they say, looks can be deceiving.

...*looks at all the SE games that have been released/ported over to Nintendo consoles* Alright, what the hell are you talking about now, I thought this little tiff SE and Nintendo had already ended years ago.

Well, despite this, that's not to say they would agree with working together. Those are just ports. Nintendo had to ask permission to burrow Cloud for the Super Smash Bros recent games started with Wii U and 3DS. In reality, they still have a grudge that should've ended years ago.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Square literally worked with Nintendo to port those games to the Switch, and gave Nintendo Cloud for Smash Bros.

Again, what the hell are you talking about?

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
What...?

Um, no. No they do not have similar gameplay or battle sequences. Not... At all. The only commonality between FF and Pokemon is they're "turn based" and RPGs. I... Don't know what you're talking about. They are not "extremely similar" at all.

The only Final Fantasy that came anything close to Pokemon in terms of similarity of gameplay is World of Final Fantasy. And that game came long after FFXI.

They look similar to me.

.....What are you talking about? Square's issues with Nintendo ended in the early 2000s.

Now?

Cloud Strife is in Super Smash Bros with Midgar as the stage. Square's ported almost every Final Fantasy to the Switch. They were releasing improved ports of classic Final Fantasy titles for the Gameboy Advance. There's been no "issue" for a very, very long time.

Good point.

Actually that wasn't literally what they said they were gonna do. They said that given the amount of stories they had in mind, they could continue it for 10 years, but that wasn't a planned goal for them. People rode on the literal words of that answer, way too hard. They never intended to just keep going a decade making titles for it.

They could've at least told people that instead of being silent about it for a decade without those who were expecting the Compilation to continue going crazy.

...Except they don't plan on making a rebooted series. That's not what the remake of FFVII is for. Again, why would they do that? The same people who drafted the Compilation of FFVII are the same people doing the remake, and what the hell would make them decide, "Yeah, let's just do it all over again cause fuck it, why not?!" Considering the amount of pressure and hard work went into AC that took *years*, no. They're not gonna just do that all over again for funsies.

And why would they have TWO spin off series for FFVII?? What the fuck..?

That's some DC Warner Bros levels of derp that I don't see Square undertaking for no reason at all.

They probably don't see a reason of remastering DC or CC because one is a PS2 era game they've probably lost given their track record of losing master game files from that era, and CC because its a PSP game and they had a hell of a difficult time bring Type-0 to the PS4. It's not easy. Maybe if the Remake does well and they've got nothing to do they'll remaster them but now they're focusing on their current projects that need more attention than those games.

Maybe not now, but they could still decide to do it as they work. None of us have any idea what they are thinking or what they intend to do. They were silent about the Remake for years and they have been silent about it again apart from interviews for the last couple of years and then they bring things up too early and remain silent and leave fans crazy with so many theories.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I am aware of the original game not having voice actors. I was just hoping the Remake would've made connections with the Compilation and was kinda expecting only a few characters having voice changes, not the entire cast. Not to mention that I was hoping to see signs of said Compilation in the Remake and tried giving it a chance, but yeah, I'm not gonna even bother playing it now. Not just because of the voice changing even though I hate it when they change voice actors in most occasions, and yes the game goes look good in gameplay and graphics.

But as they say, looks can be deceiving.

....A change in voice cast is not going to undo the Compilation of VII. It's not. It's really not going to undo the Compilation of VII. If anything is going to change in the Compilation of VII, it'll be in the story of the Remake itself. Just. Stop.

Well, despite this, that's not to say they would agree with working together. Those are just ports. Nintendo had to ask permission to burrow Cloud for the Super Smash Bros recent games started with Wii U and 3DS. In reality, they still have a grudge that should've ended years ago.

....and Nintendo had to ask Sega for Sonic and Bayonetta, Capcom for Megaman, I really don't know what the hell you are talking about. I think you're just blowing things out of proportion again and dragging old things back out into the present.

Edit: Also, look at all the list of SE games on Nintendo Consoles:

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_games

"not working together" "they still have a grudge that should've ended years ago"
....sure. That's solid proof.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
....A change in voice cast is not going to undo the Compilation of VII. It's not. It's really not going to undo the Compilation of VII. If anything is going to change in the Compilation of VII, it'll be in the story of the Remake itself. Just. Stop.

I didn't say it was going to undo the Compilation of FFVII. It's more of ignoring it despite the resales of AAC last year with a new cover(which while Cloud and Sephiroth's new render poses look cool, the background is bland and boring). Like I said, I was hoping to at least see some of it in the Remake(like a brief cameos of the BC Turks or even a secret meeting of Hojo, Scarlet, Heidegger and old man ShinRa talking about Deepground) and had been hoping to hear most of the voices from those titles since I knew Aerith, Red XIII and Hojo would have replacements for understandable reasons.

I was hoping to see more of the Compilation, and really, I had been wishing for a remake of Before Crisis more than a remake of the Original game since like the latter, that was never voiced either, or even released outside Japan due to mobile issues and Data space and ect. Not only that, Before Crisis needs a remake, and it seems a bit unfair that KH Coded got a remake twice while Before Crisis was largely ignored when it has a potential to be remade in graphics and such.

Sorry about all of this, but like I said, I tried to give the Remake a chance.

....and Nintendo had to ask Sega for Sonic and Bayonetta, Capcom for Megaman, I really don't know what the hell you are talking about. I think you're just blowing things out of proportion again and dragging old things back out into the present.

Edit: Also, look at all the list of SE games on Nintendo Consoles:

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_games

"not working together" "they still have a grudge that should've ended years ago"
....sure. That's solid proof.

Like I said to Makoeyes987; Good point.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Well before you die on this hill, maybe wait a bit after it’s out, then ask some of your friends who play it whether the new voices are any good. You might like them.

For me, if there’s an option to mute voices entirely, like there is in FFXIV, I’ll be quite happy. I’d rather the music take focus, and I can imagine the voices to my perfect liking. If there’s not, I will still play it. Even if I have to hear everyone saying “Aerith” over and over... I’m still gonna give it a chance, c’mon! It’s FF7!

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Tash how can you give something a chance when you've no experience of it you're saying it like you tried to play and complete it and will never go back to it because it sucked.

You've seen a 2 minute trailer....I genuinely can't get my head around how you've come to that conclusion when there's not a lot of dialogue and info to go on in the first place.

If you really feel strongly about it then fine but wouldn't it be better for you to base your choice in it once we have A LOT more to go on than just the limited amount of info released so far.

Let's face it up until the most recent trailer there was pretty much radio silence on what was going on with it from the last one we saw

ForceStealer

Double Growth
And there's no evidence that it's being treated as some sort of hard reboot start fresh thing. Because otherwise the Japanese voices would have changed too. It just probably has to do with the voice acting business stateside. I don't think it was the strike from a couple years back, but something like that perhaps. Or, yeah, maybe some new localization director just never liked the Compilation voices, we know absolutely nothing and this is all wild speculation. Hell we don't even know for certain whether other voices will change or not, we only heard 3 in the trailer.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Tash how can you give something a chance when you've no experience of it you're saying it like you tried to play and complete it and will never go back to it because it sucked.

You've seen a 2 minute trailer....I genuinely can't get my head around how you've come to that conclusion when there's not a lot of dialogue and info to go on in the first place.

If you really feel strongly about it then fine but wouldn't it be better for you to base your choice in it once we have A LOT more to go on than just the limited amount of info released so far.

Let's face it up until the most recent trailer there was pretty much radio silence on what was going on with it from the last one we saw

I was wondering the same. I guess she really likes the original voice actors. They were more important than the game and it must be a pretty big deal breaker that they were replaced. Like, I didn't see the Solo movie, because I think only Harrison Ford should own that role; I know it's an on-screen role but still! Though I bought a Toy Story Woody doll a long time ago, and the voice in the doll turned out to be Tom Hanks' brother Jim; I wasn't upset about that. I suppose it's up to one's preference and what thing will outweight the other depending on the product; and to Tash, the voice actors outweighed the game.

Last edited:

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
To chip in on the VA conversation, I was kind of bummed out when David Hayter got replaced with Kiefer Sutherland for MGSV, but honestly Kiefer did a really great job all things considered and I kind of prefer him in some ways.

I can't say I think Burton as Cloud is anywhere near as good as Hayter was as Snake, but there's absolutely room to accept two different VAs as the same character, for the different qualities they bring to their performance.

donkeyjack

Pro Adventurer
Realest shit. I don't mean to sound like a Dub VS Sub snob, but ever since I heard Sakurai in KH and AC, he's what made Cloud real to me. Not Burton.

I don't mean to hate on him, though -- I don't hate Burton as Cloud. I just always thought that SE could have casted better VAs for Cloud than Burton, and I'll admit that he grew on me and that he's vastly improved over the years. But I always thought that Cloud could've sounded better in ENG, be it if Burton had gotten actual VA training, or if Burton had a better understanding of Cloud, or if the voice direction was very specific for every scripted line, or if they replaced Burton with someone who had better qualifications.

Cause let's face it: Steve Burton is an Actor, not a Voice Actor. You might not think there's no difference, but there is a big difference between both. He's never done any other voice acting work outside of Cloud, so I don't think he's actually built any experience over the years trying to voice different characters, and it really shows sometimes.

If SE gave Cloud's ENG voice to an actual VA, then I'm glad cause it means that actual voice acting work is going to voice actors, assuming that SE has replaced Burton as Cloud.

I like Burton's screams for Cloud. Like in the PSX trailer 2015 where he was charging up? That was great.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The game never looked terribly interesting to me anyway. But that was a good way to get me to come into it with an already negative perception.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
I'm not knowledgeable enough to meaningfully partake in this VA discussion, but I cannot suppress the urge to make a correction:

For example; in the recent Remake trailer when all of this started, Aerith gave Cloud a Flower in the Church instead of Sector 8 like in the OG.
That's not the church. That scene with Aerith & Cloud takes place in sector 8 on the upper plate (rhyming not intended) just like in the original . The only difference is the lack of destruction in the background. Take a close look at the blurry surroundings. You can even see a car and 2 people walking by behind Cloud & Aerith when she's catching up to him.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
That's not the church. That scene with Aerith & Cloud takes place in sector 8 on the upper plate (rhyming not intended) just like in the original . The only difference is the lack of destruction in the background. Take a close look at the blurry surroundings. You can even see a car and 2 people walking by behind Cloud & Aerith when she's catching up to him.

Well the major difference is she’s supposed to charge him for it :monster:

Top Bottom