• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Nier

Novus

Pro Adventurer
Has anyone here played this game? I bought it due to lack of RPGS for the PS3 and it has been once of the most enriching experiences I've had with a videogame. It's gradually gathering pace now, but the main twist of it is that once completed play through B) is a completely different experience exposing you to the truth.
It's also dark as hell. If you ever played Drakengard, which i bought after thinking it would be the same thing and was heavily dissapointed, then think of that game as an extremely rough draft of what you get here.

One of the main characters is a hermaphrodite yes but that's party of the mythology.
Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2nPvrOZVGc
(and yes it's a hack and slash but that adds to it also).

Splintered

unsavory tart
I really enjoyed Nier, but I can't bring myself to get the last ending
as it erases all of your data and you have to watch it. My brother got the ending first and we knew it was coming but it was still like "shit..."

I think the gameplay was probably the weakest point but it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. If it was given a bigger budget I think it could have been amazing.

The best part about it was the story and characters by far. Each of them are interesting, Weiss is one of my favorite characters now. And the story is all sorts of tragic although
after the first ending I didn't get everything, I had to wiki up some of the answers and then realized that I effectively doomed civilization to get my daughter back.

And the second playthrough when Nier was just slaughtering everything and you don't realize until later they were all innocent. I've seen people have mixed feelings about that, like it went too far with what they were saying. But I thought it was a perfect set up for a villainous heroish deal. I dunno.

I liked this game so much I was about to try Drakengard... but from what I heard I don't want to. Pedophile heroes, yeah I know it's trying to subversive, but screaming DARK SUBVERSION doesn't make a good or compelling story. Nier was a perfect balance imo.

One of the main characters is a hermaphrodite yes but that's party of the mythology.
I think they handled her beautifully. I mean, the clothes were pretty classless but everything down to her story was nicely done, and you don't even really know she is until your second playthrough, and then it's done subtly and a lot of what she says (at least to Emil) makes more sense.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I got this coming up on a year ago now on high recommendations. I've been distracted by a million other things but I am slowly making progress. The game doesn't really call me to it, if that makes sense, but once I get myself to start playing it I usually enjoy myself. I'm looking forward to progressing further.
The graphics don't really look PS3, but they really remind me of Shadow of the Colossus which is not a bad thing. Also the music is freakin excellent.

I'm glad you made the thread :)

Philco

Pro Adventurer
I haven't actually played it but I think I saw some artwork for it once annnd based on that alone I remember thinking that it looked pretty interesting... it got my attention anyway. But for ages I didn't have anything I could play it on so I made do with just listening to the soundtrack for it instead because yh, the music is great :D

Wasn't there Nier Gestalt released in Japan as well? For those who preferred a younger protagonist - the guy was out to save his sister rather than his daughter or something...

Novus

Pro Adventurer
Wasn't there Nier Gestalt released in Japan as well? For those who preferred a younger protagonist - the guy was out to save his sister rather than his daughter or something...

Its the exact same game except yes as you said, brother instead of father. Because they didn't think Japan would dig an older protagonist.
And it's known as Nier Replicant, we (the west) got Nier Gestalt.
From watching playthroughs of Nier Replicant the older protagonist is better because in terms of plot-line you have that parental love bond + he's more unconventional.

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
Actually I'm positive it was the opposite, it was originally a brother and they were told that it wouldn't click with Western audiences so they aged him up.

There are a few things that make a little more sense when it comes to his companions like
the timeskip being more dramatic, the hinting of romantic feelings between him and Kaine doesn't look as odd, and you get to figure out Emil is gay and in love with Nier

But otherwise, I like old!Nier better. So maybe they were right? I dunno, I think a father-daughter connection feels more relatable and him and Weiss acting like an old bickering couple is hilarious.

And the music is frigging amazing.

Novus

Pro Adventurer
Actually I'm positive it was the opposite, it was originally a brother and they were told that it wouldn't click with Western audiences so they aged him up.

There are a few things that make a little more sense when it comes to his companions like
the timeskip being more dramatic, the hinting of romantic feelings between him and Kaine doesn't look as odd, and you get to figure out Emil is gay and in love with Nier

But otherwise, I like old!Nier better. So maybe they were right? I dunno, I think a father-daughter connection feels more relatable and him and Weiss acting like an old bickering couple is hilarious.

And the music is frigging amazing.

Yes you're right, Replicant was released first but the decision to make two versions one for the west and one for the east came even earlier I believe. I was clarifying the split.

And I didn't actually consider the Emil with Nier pairing which on a closer look of the Replicant play through is defo homoerotic nor that certain scene you mentioned.

To me its the same character though, mindless pursuit to save his closest family member.

And the Kaine pairing in Gestalt isn't that odd in light of the rest of the Drakengard verse.

Novus

Pro Adventurer
And the second playthrough when Nier was just slaughtering everything and you don't realize until later they were all innocent. I've seen people have mixed feelings about that, like it went too far with what they were saying. But I thought it was a perfect set up for a villainous heroish deal. I dunno.

So long as it’s communicated well, and even then I’m open because I wouldn’t judge a criticism too harshly on its delivery either.

For me it’s like the treatment of the Orcs from LOTR, they kill every last one of them, take no prisoners of war and even if they did judging by Aragorn’s treatment of their superiors (murdering MouthofS) tells me they would undergo extreme abuse. Then we have a huge genocide at the end.
With Nier you get a much more rounded explanation, + not all Shades were good. If you remember (and played the Sidequests) one hides within the body of a murdered girl and plan to storm Façade killing everyone.

The best part for me was the Shadow Lord's castle, I expected it to be fire and brimstone got a pretty garden instead.

RE: Drakengard, the pedo stuff was removed from the western cut. The game is just a chore in terms of gameplay and nothing in its looks that interesting anyway.

They're bringing out a Drakengard 3 though, and I'm looking forward to it. Same director as Nier (Taro) and same composer too.

Splintered

unsavory tart
They're bringing out a Drakengard 3 though, and I'm looking forward to it. Same director as Nier (Taro) and same composer too.
Is there a big difference between Nier and Drakengard? Because I really want a sequel to Nier but I suppose it's the same thing because Drakengard shares the universe?
Well considering that civilization is doomed because of Nier, I suppose a sequel wouldn't work?

If it's like Nier I'll take it, same composer doesn't hurt.

And the Kaine pairing in Gestalt isn't that odd in light of the rest of the Drakengard verse.
Yeah, although I didn't come from Drakengard so the hintings at first looked odd. But all things considered I really like how well they did it.

I just really love the characters in general. It was a great cast and they all bounced off each other fantastically.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Is there a big difference between Nier and Drakengard? Because I really want a sequel to Nier but I suppose it's the same thing because Drakengard shares the universe?
Well considering that civilization is doomed because of Nier, I suppose a sequel wouldn't work?

Actually Nier is an alternate reality to Drakengard and Drakengard 2. Drakengard 2 is the sequel to Drakengard's Ending A, while Nier follows Drakengard's Ending E
the one where Caim and Angelus have a rhythm game battle against a giant pregnant cannibal goddess thing in real world Tokyo which is what sets off the end of the world in Nier
. Its a very weird thing.

If it's like Nier I'll take it, same composer doesn't hurt.

Yeah, Drakengard's music mostly consists of grating, chaotic, discordant noise. It really sets the mood for just what kind of game it is, but its not overly pleasant :monster:

Also, for anyone who wants the Drakengard experience (or 2, or Nier) without actually playing (and with a hilarious load of mocking thrown in), I recommend the Let's Plays by The Dark Id (oh he who brought us the vastly entertaining Dirge of Cerberus LP). http://lparchive.org/author/The Dark Id <-- Go, laugh.

Philco

Pro Adventurer
And it's known as Nier Replicant, we (the west) got Nier Gestalt.

Ah yh, that was it. I think in some ways then, Replicant is actually the one that appeals to me more. I’m more used to that character type.
But thanks for reminding me that this game even exists. If I don’t get round to playing Nier this summer then I guess I’ll just have to watch that LP instead. So thanks for the link!

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I've never played the first one but I'm interested now what with the sequel being developed by Platinum:

Splintered

unsavory tart
I always tell myself not to be hyped for any games... but I really am hyped for Nier 2. Nier was such a fascinating, engrossing story and now with Platinum games on board, they can finally have the gameplay it deserves.

I was worried originally because Yako Taro said he didn't like making the same games twice (at least, that's what I heard), but if they even get the spirit of Nier back, I will be excited.

There are two trailers out with TGS, the first were of the same scenes but with Japanese voices over it, and this one shows more.

Specifically

Devola and Papola are back, after one of the best scenes in Nier. I suppose they could just be copies of the original androids but it's still nice to see them.

And Emil! And that robot holding Zero's flower. And a guy with the Watchers tatoo. I thought they were going to keep it all loosely related, but there seems to be stronger connections than before.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Dammit I need to finish Nier. I was similarly fascinated by it, and dat soundtrack, but I always get distracted from it...

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Demo is now out on PSN.

Just finished it. Seems like this will be right up my alley. :monster:
Demo didn't allow you to do a whole lot of combos or whatever but its fast and responsive and feels good to control.
Love 2B's animations. And her butt

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
^ Finished the demo last night, I liked it - probably convinced me to get the game (haven't played the first game). I really agree that the combat is fast and responsive, it feels fluid and seamless. I like how the different camera angles is a refreshing ingredient to the fights by making them always a bit different. Very smooth framerate and animations too.
While you only get a glimpse at the world/setting of the game, I find it quite interesting and I really hope it has some depth - I'm also intrigued about the game exploring the theme of humanity in a setting devoid of humans :)

Superespresso

The big lad
So I'm a long-time Nier/Drakengard fanatic. I've translated books, continuously gush over Nier's lore, and if you meet me in person I'm 99% most likely to sit you down in front of a PS3 and make you play Nier from start to finish while I watch you closely for emotion.

That being said, I feel like the demo was trying way too hard to be.. edgy I suppose. But, not in the normal Platinum MO of making things flashy. Let me explain. If you don't want to be spoiled, I put it under a cut.
In Nier, character death was ACTUALLY kind of rare, and when you saw it-- the on-screen version had to be earned through beating the game on another ending, or you just had to use your imagination. Even the Lighthouse Lady's death was completely cut unless you did her sidequest chain and learned of her death through earning it. That game made death a reward, as the characters in that world were mostly unhappy and wanted to die, or through a tragic accident that lead up to it. The only character I can think of that was named and specifically died unavoidably on screen was Jacob.

Now, the demo on the other hand introduces you to two characters, then kills them after the last fight. It's kind of sad, but I felt nothing for either of their deaths. It felt like the game was trying to hard to force me to like them through their dialogue and wouldn't let me pick for myself whether I wanted to like this new male character, or not. Platinum is not good at storytelling, but they're amazing at gameplay. This terrifies me because of how heavily story-based Nier and Drakengard are. They really didn't need the crutch of gameplay. Though, I will say it wouldn't hurt.

At least we know that the characters aren't truly dead as the Academy rebuilds androids that have been destroyed-- as we learned in Drakengard 3.

That being said, the gameplay was rather fun and I'm happy to see the magic system back in some form. I'm underwhelmed by the music so far, as the original game had one of the most phenomenal soundtracks I've ever heard. I can't name one song that came off as 'catchy' to me in this new one.

I hope they iron out the kinks and don't stray too far from what Nier is in favor of appealing to a different audience. It's fun, but I love the series for being an investment, not a joyride.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Platinum is not good at storytelling, but they're amazing at gameplay. This terrifies me because of how heavily story-based Nier and Drakengard are.

Writing and direction is being handled by Taro Yoko.

Also, random easter egg:

If you rub the touchpad, 2B will pet the pod. Aww.

Superespresso

The big lad
Platinum is not good at storytelling, but they're amazing at gameplay. This terrifies me because of how heavily story-based Nier and Drakengard are.

Writing and direction is being handled by Taro Yoko.

Also, random easter egg:

If you rub the touchpad, 2B will pet the pod. Aww.

I just hope that's enough.

Also that's an adorable EE

Top Bottom