• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Nier

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I guess I've opened another rabbit hole... namely Nier.

I've been meaning to play Nier Automata for quite a while. I heard a lot about this game and saw a couple of spoiler-free video reviews, but didn't dive into the details on purpose, in order to be as new to the game as I was to good old FF's on PS1. Nier is known to be a weird game - but probably weird in the best sense of the word. It engages you immediately, changes camera angles, genres and styles on a whim, and leaves you wondering if you're doing it right.

...and, most probably, I am not :wacky: But something's telling me that that's the whole point.

So I walked around industrial premises eliminating machines and collecting rubble while 9S was keeping me informed. It was going pretty well up until I saw that massive bridge dissapearing in the mist. Such locations usually reek of rust and trouble. And trouble found me. 9S died protecting me, and while I was flying around that gigantic robot, it kept attacking, so eventually I died too. What's worrying is that it's been around 90 minutes worth of gameplay, and the game hasn't let me save my progress yet. And now I died. But I haven't checked the main menu yet, which place it will suggest to continue from. It's getting late and I'm tired. But I definitely enjoy this feeling of utter weirdness and uncertainty tied with futuristic landscapes and fantastic music. I hear the man behind this game is a genius, and the game is already proving that he is.

Surprisingly, androids seem to be able to experience emotions, even if 2B comments at one point that emotions are prohibited. I hope the game will tell me more about these... people? Just don't tell me anything; I'd rather find that out by myself :mon:

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
So, my second attempt at Nier Automata failed again. I'm definitely not doing it right. I didn't even reach the point where I had died previously. This is getting annoying, especially because the game still doesn't let me save :rage:

Turned out that I got a valid Ending W or something :mon:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
So, my second attempt at Nier Automata failed again. I'm definitely not doing it right. I didn't even reach the point where I had died previously. This is getting annoying, especially because the game still doesn't let me save :rage:

Turned out that I got a valid Ending W or something :mon:

The beginning mission is hard by comparison to the rest of the beginning portion of the game. I do think you can change the difficulty back and forth at will. Personally I played that mission repeatedly on normal until I beat it because I'm a stubborn bitch. :monster:

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Mako, Rydeen, thanks for the tip! It did help. I had thought initially to start playing on easy, but there's always this stereotype that the easy mode is something frowned upon and for the stupid and lazy, lol. But the easy mode here is something... else. Like, you don't even have to do much. Just sit back and envy the fluency of combos. But I also admit that I wouldn't have had the patience to play the prologue again and again, and I wouldn't have been skillful enough to take down that mecha on my own either.

Now I can finally save and go on with the game. What a relief :mon:

But the easy mode here is something... else. Like, you don't even have to do much. Just sit back and envy the fluency of combos. But I also admit that I wouldn't have had the patience to play the prologue again and again, and I wouldn't have been skillful enough to take down that mecha on my own either.

Yeah, Automata's difficulty modes aren't very well balanced, unfortunately. Easy is sort of the plays itself mode, normal is more reasonable after the prologue. As the others said, you can always switch difficulties, so there's no shame in switching if something's annoying you. I wish there was a better balance, but at least the game always lets you switch back and forth, and easy is always useful for progressing the story.

Lex

Administrator
I was absolutely terrible at Automata when I first started playing it - the movement and shooting can take a bit of time to get used to. Rest assured however than when you do get used to it, you'll feel like a total pro. I went from dying constantly on Normal to 100%ing the game on Very Hard.

There is a learning curve with the gameplay but when you get it, you get it. And I don't think I've ever played an action game that felt so rewarding to master. Even the movement is just top tier.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
What I really appreciated was when I realized just what a substantial impact on gameplay the different plugins (upgrades) have. No "1.3% increase to vitality" here. It's like, "oh, now you move twice as fast" or "now your attacks can hit dudes across the street." But you only have space for so much, so you choose and really tailor your setup to your playstyle.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yoko Taro has purposefully hidden multiple mysteries in this game. I'm actually surprised this has gone undiscovered for so long, hasn't it been released on PC? Wouldn't it's assets and levels be fully revealed at this stage? Really shocking this has gone undiscovered for so long.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I've seen people say it may be an ARG teaser for the switch version because none of the unique assets were found in the PC version's files. Apparently it can't be a mod because Nier's modding community can't do anything so advanced as adding new areas or cutscenes yet.

Top Bottom