• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Obi-Wan Disney+ Series

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I'm a bit wary at the writer being replaced for this...

The original one is Amini, who has been nominated for an academy award. According to wiki:

'In November 2019, Amini said the series' time period was fascinating since Kenobi is dealing with the loss of his friends and the Jedi Order, which allowed Amini to explore aspects of the Star Wars franchise other than action, such as its spiritual side. He took inspiration from the sources that Star Wars creator George Lucas was originally inspired by, including Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces, Samurai history and culture, and Buddhism. Comparing the series' scripts to his original film plans, Amini said he was able to explore the character, politics, and history more in the series than in a two-hour film where "there is always an imperative for the action and the plot to move particularly fast".'

The new one is Harold, who wrote King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and is now doing a Transformers film...

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Uh oh. The other SW projects that had big shakeups halfway through were Rogue One and Solo. That's not exactly a great precedent.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Sell me a godsdamned story, not a character name. This thing is out in May and we still don't have anything about what's in it beyond character names. That's not enough.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
That's a solid trailer. Narration is excellent.

Normally I'd complain about the cameos but Inquisitors actually make sense in this context. Given the music, we're almost certainly going to get climactic lightsabre duels.

Visual design a bit flat. Needs more aliens in the background and CG. They seem to be sticking with stuff they can do practically, which stops them from being creative with alien and creature designs.

The Grand Inquisitor has his ticket booked to Rebels already, but he was one of my favourite best parts of that show, so I'm actually glad to see him. Vader appearances seldom go well, we'll have to see how they justify it.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Have they already talked about the timeline of the show? With Inquisitors being involved, I wonder if there will be any other references to Jedi: Fallen Order

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Have they already talked about the timeline of the show? With Inquisitors being involved, I wonder if there will be any other references to Jedi: Fallen Order
I don’t know if they’ve mentioned the specific time, but Luke looks like he’s still pretty young, and Fallen Order is about five years after rots, so it’s not out of the question that these two stories could occur in roughly the same time frame

Reactions: LNK

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I don’t know if they’ve mentioned the specific time, but Luke looks like he’s still pretty young, and Fallen Order is about five years after rots, so it’s not out of the question that these two stories could occur in roughly the same time frame

I think they said this is around ten years after Ep III

Ok, so 5 years after fallen order. Thanks

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
My feelings are positive but mixed. The second episode is probably the stronger of the two overall despite a certain degree of silliness, episode one had a couple of stand out scenes but was mostly just ok.

My favorite scenes so far are the order 66 flashback, always love getting little glimpses at that, the whole sequence with Owen, and Obi-Wan's reaction to learning that Vader is alive. That was an excellent way to close out the episode.

I am looking forward to the next episode.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Overall positive vibes here. I knew it would slap New Hope in the face when the show is called “Obi Wan” and Alec Guinness, in a very truth-without-honesty way insisted that he hadn’t heard that name since before Luke was born. But Star Wars has always been rife with plot holes so it’s all good.

The writing for Leia is great, and seeing Alderaan is always a treat. Jimmy Smitts is great.

Obi Wan’s reasons for refusing the call are bullshit. To quote him in Ep 3: “How did this happen, we’re smarter than this!” He should have seen it as a trap, not just to trap him but to cause him to leave Luke without a protector…The idea that his reluctance is based in self doubt instead of actually addressing his legitimate concern: that the child he is charged with still needs him. It feels really manufactured and dubious, it felt like the Disney committee really want to give him an arc, but at the expense of his intellect. It felt wrong. It just didn’t land for me.

This was mostly forgiven by the time he delivers the line “Everybody bleeds!” I fuckin cheered ahahaha

McGregor is a delight as ever, all the returning actors are great. It has that new SW quality and polish, and John *effin* Williams, gang.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I generally have a positive view of the series, and I agree that the second episode was largely better.

My main issue with it, and this is true for a lot of modern writing styles in media, is that characters can only be written in the constraints that their role allows. The most blatant example is that the only lines that seem able to leave Breha Organa’s mouth are ones that make her a semi-strict mother. No other characterization seems to be allowed. Same with Haja - he’s really only allowed the role of semi-trustworthy swindler. Star Wars characters have always been simple, and that’s been a strength, but I wish the scripts would let the character roles breathe a bit more.

Obiwan’s reaction to learning Darth Vader is also the best scene in the show so far. But I guess I’m thinking that…that’s a pretty big thing to drop. I can’t help but think the circumstances that he were told could’ve had some higher stakes or character drama beforehand. Maybe if there was more of a buildup to Obi-wan facing off with Reva with her personal motivations put front-and-center.

Also, Obi-wan looking after baby Leia is basically the same dynamic as the Mandalorian looking after Grogu. It’s not the worst in the world, but it makes me wish they had more creative scenarios.

But all in all it’s good.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Episode 3 was a mostly solid experience.

My favorite part of the show so far has been the relationship between Ben and Leia. It’s honestly close to perfect.

The space redneck was interesting. We don’t usually get to see characters who are totally in favor of the empire. It was neat to see this local truck driving dude just shooting the shit with these stormtroopers. Nice to see the occasional glimpse of their humanity and get that reminder that as evil as the empire indisputably is there are all kinds of people in it.

As for the confrontation with Vader, the build up to it was great. I was initially disappointed in it, but then my brain managed to peer through the haze of alcohol and sleep deprivation to reach the understanding that there will almost certainly be a second battle between these two later on once Ben is in more of an Obi-Wan kinda mood.
Overall still enjoying myself.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Didn't realize there was a new episode already, thought the Friday premiere meant it would be weekly on Fridays, whoops

That one stormtrooper getting cut in half by that barrier holy shit lol
Thought it was funny when Obi-Wan destroyed the barrier when he could've just...walked around it though.

Vader dragging Obi-Wan through the fire face first was so brutal too, damn

Last edited:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
WOW! That third episode was stellar!
The slasher villain style tactics Vader uses are very reminiscent of what he did in The Empire Strikes Back, which is really welcome. It’s not just good because they did the same thing over again, it’s good because that horror-esque mood was fantastic in the original movies but only existed for a few scenes. The fact that time was elaborated on was really amazing.
Not to mention the imagery of Ewan’s Obi-Wan facing up again the Original Trilogy Vader is also really great.

That fire scene took my breath away…truly blending the best of the OT and Prequels. And personally, I like that Obi-wan’s combat skills have atrophied a bit - “The years have made you weak” is even a line reminiscent of an Empre-like quote. The power imbalance just made the scenes feel so raw, and shows Obi-wan truly isn’t the same man he used to be.

Top Bottom