• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Obi-Wan Disney+ Series

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
So my experience with episode 3 of this show is much like my experience with TLJ, in that I wasn't exactly sure how to feel at first though I did have positive feelings overall, but now that I've sat on it for a while its become one of my favorite pieces of Star Wars content. Obi-Wan was already my favorite jedi, so this series is on its way to the top of my rankings if the next three episodes are as good.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Got through the first three episodes last night. I must admit the first two episodes did not impress me, especially surprising was the really lousy editing. And I'm not usually the type of person to notice those sorts of things.
Both foot chases of Leia were...surprisingly bad, haha. The one in the woods was weak, but whatever, child actor I guess. But the rooftop one, woof. How did all those enemies completely disappear/stop firing when Leia fell off the roof? Why did they keep cutting to inquisitor-lady's super dramatic parkour when she wasn't even close to getting there in time? How did Obi-Wan get down from the roof so fast, and how did he and Leia have so much time for a heart-to-heart after? Leia, generally, seemed awfully cavalier about having been kidnapped. I know, it's Leia, but she's 10!

Obi Wan’s reasons for refusing the call are bullshit. To quote him in Ep 3: “How did this happen, we’re smarter than this!” He should have seen it as a trap, not just to trap him but to cause him to leave Luke without a protector…The idea that his reluctance is based in self doubt instead of actually addressing his legitimate concern: that the child he is charged with still needs him. It feels really manufactured and dubious, it felt like the Disney committee really want to give him an arc, but at the expense of his intellect. It felt wrong. It just didn’t land for me.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, too.
By all means, show him dealing with some trauma. The nightmares and some doubts are perfectly reasonable. But doing the, frankly tired, 'broken man' shtick was dumb when, as you say, they had a perfect reason right here. Instead of making him look like a coward and a fool both with that other fleeing Jedi and answering the call was a complete waste when his ONE mission is to watch after Luke. That supersedes all else for him.

That all said, episode 3 was a big improvement, imo. Excellent tension with more realistic actions by the characters.
Obi-wan's story about his earliest memories was nice (as long as it remains set-dressing and not some setup for his long-lost brother, lol). I'm assuming that the person he mentions that he sees the writing on the wall for is a character more diehard SW people know, but I enjoyed not knowing, made the world feel a little bigger. Vader's properly menacing, here is where I was more than fine with Obi-wan being freaked out and aware his skills weren't up to snuff. I'm glad he did at least get one good line, "What have you become?" Vader dragging him through fire was pretty metal.

The editing in the tunnel was even worse! Tarla and Leia go down a tunnel, inquisitor-lady follows a bit later. Tarla turns around to go back, does not run into Inquisitor lady, but somehow finds Vader and Obi-Wan, and inquisitor lady somehow winds up at hte exit of the tunnel ahead of Leia. Nonsense, lol. :huh: Also the final area could have Tarla shooting something that brought down more of a physical barrier to prevent Vader from just standing there gormlessly, haha.

I do hope they don't drag out the mystery behind inquisitor-lady any longer, because I'm kind of already tired of her antics. I don't know why the inquisitors and to a lesser extent Vader would even put up with her. But in any case I'm looking forward to the back half.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ite

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Got through the first three episodes last night. I must admit the first two episodes did not impress me, especially surprising was the really lousy editing. And I'm not usually the type of person to notice those sorts of things.
Both foot chases of Leia were...surprisingly bad, haha. The one in the woods was weak, but whatever, child actor I guess. But the rooftop one, woof. How did all those enemies completely disappear/stop firing when Leia fell off the roof? Why did they keep cutting to inquisitor-lady's super dramatic parkour when she wasn't even close to getting there in time? How did Obi-Wan get down from the roof so fast, and how did he and Leia have so much time for a heart-to-heart after? Leia, generally, seemed awfully cavalier about having been kidnapped. I know, it's Leia, but she's 10!

I wholeheartedly agree with this, too.
By all means, show him dealing with some trauma. The nightmares and some doubts are perfectly reasonable. But doing the, frankly tired, 'broken man' shtick was dumb when, as you say, they had a perfect reason right here. Instead of making him look like a coward and a fool both with that other fleeing Jedi and answering the call was a complete waste when his ONE mission is to watch after Luke. That supersedes all else for him.

That all said, episode 3 was a big improvement, imo. Excellent tension with more realistic actions by the characters.
Obi-wan's story about his earliest memories was nice (as long as it remains set-dressing and not some setup for his long-lost brother, lol). I'm assuming that the person he mentions that he sees the writing on the wall for is a character more diehard SW people know, but I enjoyed not knowing, made the world feel a little bigger. Vader's properly menacing, here is where I was more than fine with Obi-wan being freaked out and aware his skills weren't up to snuff. I'm glad he did at least get one good line, "What have you become?" Vader dragging him through fire was pretty metal.

The editing in the tunnel was even worse! Tarla and Leia go down a tunnel, inquisitor-lady follows a bit later. Tarla turns around to go back, does not run into Inquisitor lady, but somehow finds Vader and Obi-Wan, and inquisitor lady somehow winds up at hte exit of the tunnel ahead of Leia. Nonsense, lol. :huh: Also the final area could have Tarla shooting something that brought down more of a physical barrier to prevent Vader from just standing there gormlessly, haha.

I do hope they don't drag out the mystery behind inquisitor-lady any longer, because I'm kind of already tired of her antics. I don't know why the inquisitors and to a lesser extent Vader would even put up with her. But in any case I'm looking forward to the back half.

The latter half of the season makes up for it. Reva is one to watch.

Just finished the show. Bravo! feels like silly fanfic all the way through, and it consistently falls into tired tropes. But damn if I didn’t enjoy those last two eps in particular.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Oh! @ForceStealer And the name on the wall *is* someone I know! (Does that make me a hardcore SW fan??)

Quinlan Vos is a total dudebro from the Clone Wars show. I think he’s actually in Phantom Menace somewhere but I cba I absolutely hated him, and there’s a book where he joins the Dark Side and falls in love with Ventress… just, ugh. He returns to the Light Side because of the redemptive power of love (yay Star Wars!) and the fridging of Ventress (fuck Star Wars!!) and Obi Wan is actually the one to give the empassioned speech that convinces the council to not only show mercy on Quinlan, but reinstate him!

So, Quinlan’s name appearing on the wall in this show would be *very* significant to Obi Wan, reminding him that his commitment to mercy is the will of the Force…

Rankles

Pro Adventurer
It was ok. If it wasn’t for the Vader/Obi Wan scenes, it would have been instantly forgettable.

Top Bottom