On the Way to a Smile Audiobooks

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
OMG OMG I MISSED A PERFECT JOKE OPPORTUNITY. YOU HAD AN EMERGENCY AND YOU NEEDED RENO LINES

IT WAS RENO 911!!!!!

Pixel

The Pixie King
OMG OMG I MISSED A PERFECT JOKE OPPORTUNITY. YOU HAD AN EMERGENCY AND YOU NEEDED RENO LINES

IT WAS RENO 911!!!!!

tumblr_inline_nq0w7hqLcV1s2voop_500_zpswkogkrnk.gif

Pixel

The Pixie King
I think after I finish Case of Shin-Ra, I might go back and do a remastered version of Case of Tifa, and possibly Maiden. Maiden's translation was never 100%. We fixed stuff up, and added stuff back in that xcomp missed, but it would need a complete retranslation and rewrite tbh. Since it's not canon, i'm not sure if I could be arsed.

With Case of Tifa, it was my first time doing anything like that, so my narration sounds a bit weird now. It doesn't follow the official translation, since it was a combination of all the best bits of each translation. But I prefer how mine is written tbh, so I'd keep it that way, maybe make some tweeks here and there.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Be sure to make sure that Aeris stabbed first. :monster:

But seriously this is exciting. I'm a recent but huge fan. You all do great work.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
I saw this morning. I'm super stoked. I will be listening to this tonight. :-) :-) :-)

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
That's a wrap folks! Thank you so much Pixel for not letting this die. Is there a place I can download Parts 1-4? I wouldn't mind listening to this on my ride to work.

Pixel

The Pixie King
If anyone wants the mp3 of Shin-Ra, you can download it here. I need to sort out the music credits before putting it up on the site.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4Tk7aQlnO5cVZDXzBGUUtMWXM/view?usp=sharing

I've also done a little test to see if I can redo the Episode: Tifa narration and keep some of the music cues from the original. I liked some of the original, but the narration sounds bad compared to the later ones, and I want to do some different things with the music. Still sorting out the levels and timing of lines
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4Tk7aQlnO5TW13WVhvZmltbTA/view?usp=sharing

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Back from my drive. Truly excellent work Pixel, it was thoroughly enjoyable. The music cues, the acting, all very well done. (I like that the door to Rufus' shelter opening uses the door sound effect from the game, nice touch :monster:)

And it certainly doesn't hurt that Case of Shinra is really, really good. Seriously, the next time someone tries to tell me the entirety of the Compilation was a waste of time, I have to direct them to Case of Shinra. It covers such a wide range of Shinra-related things in a consistent and interesting manner that legitimately adds to the narrative of the original. Like several of the other OTWTS entries, it meaningfully improves Advent Children, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus (and even attempts to do so for Before Crisis!). It really lends credence to Tres' theory that Nojima's ridiculous FFX novella was simply revenge for forcing him to revive Tidus given that all of these novellas are so solid.

(Also, we've discussed before what we think Rufus' motivations are post-FF7. Although I remain unconvinced that he's completely on the straight and narrow now, I will say that the hell he goes through in this story could certainly be capable of changing a man.)

Pixel

The Pixie King
Its a nice jumping off point for the Turks novel too. It picks up the story pretty soon after the end of this novella.

Foxhound_Veteran

Rookie Adventurer
I have listened through Case of Shin-Ra and you have done an awesome job compiling and narrating these audio books Pixel. When thinking of spreading word about this site and particular fanwork to more fans I am asking what the best order to listen to the audio books is? Should they be listened to in the order they have been posted on the site? Currently this makes the most sense to me chronologically:

1. The Maiden Who Travels The Planet
2. Case of Lifestream
3. Case of Denzel
4. Case of Tifa
5. Case of Barret
6. Case of Yuffie
7. Case of Nanaki
8. Case of Shin-Ra

How do the rest of you listen to it? Opinions and reasons behind them are appreciated :)

Pixel

The Pixie King
I've always gone with Tifa first, because it has more mass appeal, but I don't like my narration in it. Once I redo the narration and music I'll feel more comfortable with promoting them. I feel it's important to hook people with the voice acting, rather than them starting to listen and just hearing a block of narration and not getting to that moment of "Wow that sounds just like Reno". Case of Yuffie is good for that, since it starts off with the whole party together, and a lot of voice acting.

Foxhound_Veteran

Rookie Adventurer
Yeah, your reasoning makes sense aswell. For me it all started with Case of Tifa and that is probably the piece i feel most attached to. Really like what Christina McBride and Anthony Muth managed to convey and to me they feel very similar to the english Tifa and Cloud featured in Advent Children :). On the subject of your narration in Case of Tifa, it does sound a bit different compared to your later entries, but that is only when the listener actively thinks about it I guess :).

To me The Maiden Who Travels The Planet and Case of Lifestream have always felt very different from the OTWTAS and that is probably because of the many narration parts and less dialogue between characters.

Perhaps I will end up recommending it in the order it was posted on the site, which is the same order I went by the first time ^^

You made a good point with Case of Yuffie aswell, a very good intro to the OTWTAS audio book series :)

Last edited:

Pixel

The Pixie King
On The Way To A Smile - Episode: Tifa Remastered
Just part 1 and 2 for now. I'll try to get part 3 done soon

Avalanche87

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Bakito/Marak/DJMarak
Heya guys, I must say, I came across the right page with the links to each of the "files".

I downloaded them all, organized them by the date they were posted & so I listened to The Maiden Who Travels The Planet while I was in school today (doing tasks where I can be in my own world).... I almost balled my freakin eyes out!!! Like 3/4 times I got all choked up!! I couldn't believe the trigger!!!

Such an AMAZING story, such amazing creativity to take it from the perspective which it did. The music.... ooohhh and the music!!!! PURE BEAUTY!!!!

I'm so blown away!!!! I did NOT think it would be like this, nor this touching!

I'm a tad concerned with the idea of trying to drive and listen to these!

A pat on the back is just not enough! Such amazing work!

Top Bottom