[Petition] BentStuff's Final Fantasy Ultimania books into English

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I don't know if this has been considered, but if -- after tackling the much more accessible 25th Ultimanias -- you guys took on another, you could always save a lot of time and effort by skipping the gameplay walkthrough sections. You could keep the gameplay and exploration secrets, of course (e.g. "performing X action in this battle or on that field map yields X result"), but with many of these games being older anyway, their Ultimanias real value lies in the plot/character/world info, interviews, artwork and the like.

Interbooks

Rookie Adventurer
I don't know if this has been considered, but if -- after tackling the much more accessible 25th Ultimanias -- you guys took on another, you could always save a lot of time and effort by skipping the gameplay walkthrough sections. You could keep the gameplay and exploration secrets, of course (e.g. "performing X action in this battle or on that field map yields X result"), but with many of these games being older anyway, their Ultimanias real value lies in the plot/character/world info, interviews, artwork and the like.

Yes you're right. But I think that with the ultimania books in the hand people will start to play again, maybe. Still too early to talk about it. I hope to have some update next week.

Thanks Kuja9001 for posting my update on Neogaf. I registered there but still don't have the permission to write.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Yes you're right. But I think that with the ultimania books in the hand people will start to play again, maybe. Still too early to talk about it. I hope to have some update next week.

Thanks Kuja9001 for posting my update on Neogaf. I registered there but still don't have the permission to write.

No problem

Lord Kesharq

Late night user(coffee!)
AKA
Lostlord, Lewisito
If this happens its going to be pretty damn cool, tho u guys really believe SE will allow this just cos of the petition? (signing it btw ^^)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It could work. If they've allowed licensing of other stuff (namely On the Way to a Smile) because of an expressed interest in other parts of the world, there's no reason this can't work too.

Mainly, though, the petition is to convince whoever is in charge at Interbooks to go after the license.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
It's not like SE is overly protective of that stuff. If a professional publisher wants to acquire the license, they can get it.
Getting a publisher to realize there is interest in that stuff in the first place is the problem. :monster:

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher
I've posted about this on my novelisation's Facebook fan page a couple of times already. I've just passed the 16k mark which is all the more infuriating because the visibility structure of the site is deliberately designed to prevent more than a fraction seeing it unless I pay munny

I'm willing to contribute with money. If more members chip in, we can greatly minimize the loss. To me it's a matter of principle that this petition gets as many signatures as possible, even if it doesn't reach its goal or even if it doesn't matter in the end. I want to defy the notion, to the greatest possible extent, that us Ultimania lovers are part of an insignificant niché market.

S&G, you have my Buster Sword Wallet.

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher
I second this and will also contribute financially. I'm lucky enough to have a big enough audience that could theoretically make a difference.

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher
Tres, if we do it from my page, the few will be taken from my PayPal account. I have a donate tab on the page next to photos, notes, etc so it might be quickest to use that as it goes straight to my PayPal. Open to other suggestions

Telcontar

Donator
Yes please!

iOkTnNiBm6qHT.gif

Though I don't think the 440-ish signatures the petition has currently, would look appealing to Square. This thing needs more publicity. A LOT more. I'll do what I can and spam share it on Twitter.

Also, just wondering... Has Square ever done these kinda things before? Translating their Ultimanias (either in house or by hiring a translation company) and publishing them worldwide?

Bumped your GAF thread, too!

EDIT: Oh wait. The thread wasn't by you, but by someone else. Nice!

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher
Folks, I'd just to update you on our efforts to promote the petition via Facebook.

While Shademp, Tres and I contributed time and money to further raising awareness of BentStuff's intentions, our endeavour was cut short by Facebook as we were in breach of its advertisement policies. Unfortunately, this means that while the campaign was brought to attention of fans, there is little more we can do on that front to boost awareness. But, we did try.

Interbooks

Rookie Adventurer
Hi all.

Thank you very much for your efforts. We are still waiting an answer from SquareEnix. We will wait until the end of the GW holidays. After we will try others ways to make this translation come true.
The petition is over 500 signs, and it is very impressive how people of all over the world are signing.

Thank you very much.

Top Bottom