• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Prism's Art and GameDev Thread

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Didnt want to go off topic in the makes your day thread. How did SE come about seeing your works? If you dont mind me asking
Oh yeah, no problem. I posted a turn-around of the model on Twitter, through my @OcarinaRemake account, and it made the rounds - a message appeared in my inbox with the offer.

Sure enough, I checked his portfolio and it was legitimate...he’s worked on a number of Sony titles and is now at Square. I know this part sounds like the “my Uncle works at Nintendo” type stuff, but I wanna keep his name confidential for the time being. (Would feel kinda weird sharing it)

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Thanks, man. It’s certainly surreal and not something I expected, but something I’m pretty grateful for. Definitely feel increasingly nervous alongside that excitement, however. I’ll keep at it!

I think Odysseus makes a good point. Alternatively, depending on the gender of the running character, it may be interesting to mix up the usual girl + boy dynamic, though. (Uh, I guess this comment probably wasn't that helpful for making a decision :monster: .)

In any case, great work as usual. I really enjoy the style of the character's look so far, there's an appealing kind of a retro anime type vibe to it.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
1626824582028.png

It's been a few months and I still haven't finished that piece, but I did end up deciding on the dude, albeit a different dude, lol.

1626829027040.png
In other news, my Ocarina Link model is now out and about and running in Unreal. My friend put the scene and animations together using the rig from the SE guy. It's still very preliminary, but I'm excited to see them implement the model I made with input from me.

The goal is to do something better than the typical "OCARINA 4K HD" videos on YouTube, so I'd love opinions on how that's going - I think we're not quite out of that realm yet.

Last edited:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Now that I have some time, I've been working more on my action RPG project. Since I'm an artist first and foremost, art is actually the thing I will do last; since it's the thing I have the most experience with. I'm coding the game first. It will be a bunch of gray boxes for a long time, lol.
The game incorporates a lot of platforming design - you can wall jump, long jump, and so on to increase the amount of ways the player can interact with the environment. (sorry for the imgur borders, they kinda make it hard to see)
I'm also working on some enemy routines. This one is meant to be a particularly strong foe:

The player graphics are animated from this low-poly version of the character. I call him the "stunt double," as the final sprites will be rotoscoped over the 3D frames.
1631296841418.png
An example of before and after the rotoscoping:
1631296801118.png

Edit:
1631309054804.png
Also a potential logo.

Last edited:
I think the newer version of the logo definitely reads better at a glance than the first (the lower case "a" was slightly tough to quickly parse). I'm kind of curious how the more rounded bits of the "oo"s in "moon" would look if more straight (since the other letters don't really have curves), but I don't know anything about logo design or typography, so please don't take this as actual advice.

As always, it's very cool to see your process.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Thanks! At first I came into designing it with the mindset of "who cares about legibility" more akin to graffiti or something, but as I refined it I found ways to maintain the stylistic approach while making it more legible and I think it was for the better that way. The point about the Os holds water, I think. Especially after not looking at it for a while, I could see a case being made for having them be more angular. When I work on it again I will give it a try.

I can finally show one of the things that was taking up my time as NDA contract work! This isn't the big thing that's taking up my time, but it's one of the projects. My brother and I modeled Samus for this YouTube media / general game-related company. I did the gun, legs, hand, and the forearm piece.

1633799993502.png
Shot of the gun.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
You scared me for a second there, I thought you were gonna reveal you modeled Samus for Dread lol. Great work!

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
LOL, that would've been quite the experience, right? Thankfully just a smaller but very talented company that specializes in fan creations, lol. Needless to say though, Samus' Dread design is imprinted into my brain from how long my bro and I had to stare at it

Happy Halloween! ^Excellent example of a picture that you can HEAR. :monster: ReDead moans and screams are engraved into my spine.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart

I can finally share what has keeping me busy for the past year! I provided work for this as an NDA contract. Despite being a fan project, the company, Curiomatic (same as the Samus people) treated and structured development pretty much 1:1 to what a double-A studio would do. It was a very interesting experience. If you’re into the MOTHER series, check this out!

If I had something that was keeping me busy, chances are it was this. There were times where I thought I was completely done with my work, but would come back when additional things were needed…so hopefully my free time increases again.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
That was amazing! High-quality production and full of charisma. I'm barely familiar with Mother but I can see the appeal of its world and characters.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I really appreciate it, you two. My brother and I assembled Osohe Castle brick by brick (at least for each brick that has its own unique mesh)
Of course, with any team, the individual members can only take so much credit for the final result, and a lot of what makes it great I can owe to the creative directors, but I'm happy to have contributed. I learned a lot from being around talented individuals.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
1651600232316.png1651600257704.png

It's been a while, so I thought I'd post more WIPs! Truth be told, I've had some sort of strange art block where I haven't been able to finish pixel pieces for nearly a year or so. I think it's all in my head, but I enjoy making them regardless. These WIPs are for that game project of mine.

Here's a screenshot of an unrelated game (just a mockup, not a project) that needs to be completed:

1651600288810.png

This is also my 1,000th post. :arr:

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
z2d.jpg
front_compile.jpg

In my OoT 3D remake model project, I've just finished Zelda! Though I'll probably fix her up later. I took a different approach to the hair this time - it uses the same tool that most of the industry does now. (Disney, as well as our favorite company Square Enix) Let me tell ya, finding out information on how to use it was one hell of an effort...

Top Bottom