Random question about Reno

Shimi

Rookie Adventurer
hopefully, this hasnt been asked before but...
What color are Reno's eyes supposed to be? I could have sworn that they were green originally, but they are blue in BC and CC, and in ACC they just look like slate or something and I can't tell if I see hints of green around the pupil or if it's my imagination...
One more thing: how old is Reno anyways? :huh:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Probably all of the above - as it clearly changes in different compilation entries :monster:

Personally I prefer them to be green because it goes better with his hair.

As for his age, I don't think theres a canon birthdate given, but I would imagine he was mid to late 20's in the OG.

Looking at artwork and snapshots in the FF wiki's page on Reno, it looks like his eye color shifts depending on the title. Sometimes it's blue, sometimes green, sometimes turqoise. In ACC they are mostly blue, but if you squint you can see a very small circle of green in the iris. Various characters in ACC have this little green bit in their otherwise blue eyes.

Shimi

Rookie Adventurer
His eyes appear light blue in sunlight on the playarts figure I own (which is what made me say "what the hell?!" considering I've had the thing for at least 5 years and never realized).

The green around the Iris you mentioned (which I have noticed in ACC) just adds to my confusion because it reminds me of cloud & kadaj's gang.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Maybe he's one of those people whose apparent eye color varies with the lighting? I got the impression Reno was 24-25 in the OG. I feel like ACC pretty much gave every other character a mix of blue/green eye color unless they were supposed to have brown or, in Vincent's case, red.

Speaking of which, didn't ACC also darken Tifa's eye color? Depending on the source, it's almost red but I'm pretty sure in the OG they were a noticeably lighter shade of brown.

Reno looked like he was in his thirties in the OG, and like he'd done a lot of hard living on the way. In ACC he looks about 19. Fandom consensus is that he has orbs of cerulean blue, or sometimes aquamarine. I reckon he'd say his eyes were blue.

Shimi

Rookie Adventurer
Maybe he's one of those people whose apparent eye color varies with the lighting? I got the impression Reno was 24-25 in the OG. I feel like ACC pretty much gave every other character a mix of blue/green eye color unless they were supposed to have brown or, in Vincent's case, red.

Speaking of which, didn't ACC also darken Tifa's eye color? Depending on the source, it's almost red but I'm pretty sure in the OG they were a noticeably lighter shade of brown.

In regards to Tifa, I would say that her eyes are a nicer shade of brown than they used to be. They used to be almost the same (if not the same) hue as the reddish gloves she used to wear.

I think Reno must be at least 3 or 4 years older than Cloud. I can't imagine him being younger than that if he's considered a veteran Turk. Unless shinra recruits kids to protect their company's greatest secrets.

Shimi

Rookie Adventurer
Well, the army recruits at 14. Even at 24, he could have ten years of solid service behind him.

Wow. And I just read that Cissnei might have been as young as 8 when she was recruited... Guess I was wrong. Shinra really does have kids guarding their secrets!
So there goes that theory...

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Don't forget a group like the Turks probably doesn't have the best life expectancy. Wasn't Vincent also supposed to be pretty high up by the end of his time as a Turk?

I'm pretty sure I've seen Reno's eyes described as green a couple times, though I've also seen people refer to Zack's as purple, which doesn't really make much sense to me. The fandom also insists mako adds green to eye color, based on most descriptions I've seen of Cloud's eye color.

I happened to like Tifa's red/brown eyes, though I understand why they'd go for a more natural shade.

Last edited:

Shimi

Rookie Adventurer
Don't forget a group like the Turks probably doesn't have the best life expectancy. Wasn't Vincent also supposed to be pretty high up by the end of his time as a Turk?

I'm pretty sure I've seen Reno's eyes described as green a couple times, though I've also seen people refer to Zack's as purple, which doesn't really make much sense to me. The fandom also insists mako adds green to eye color, based on most descriptions I've seen of Cloud's eye color.

I happened to like Tifa's red/brown eyes, though I understand why they'd go for a more natural shade.

in-game, Zack's eyes look like the same color as his clothes. As we all know, those navy-bluish SOLDIER uniforms are rather purple. Come to think of it, Cloud's eyes look kinda purple in-game too, but we know better.
:cloudfacepalm:
I guess I'm satisfied with Reno's eye color ranging from green to blue. Now it's just his age that bothers me.

As for Vincent, I should think he was pretty high up before he went to sleep because Veld recognized him from his days on the field?? (I think?)
Wasn't Vincent 27 when he went to sleep? I always thought that Vincent looked older than Reno, but when I compare pics from AC, he doesn't really look much older than Reno... Maybe only a year or two by appearance.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I remember being quite surprised when I found out Cloud's OG uniform was supposed to be purple rather than blue/indigo. You have to keep in mind that the technical limitations of the time mean some colors were probably a bit off. For example, I could tell from the very beginning Rufus was blond but I can see why some people thought his hair was supposed to be orange.

According to BC, Veld and Vincent used to be partners, though I don't think it was mentioned how long before Veld became director that was. I think you're right about the physical age difference between Reno and Vincent. If Reno were 24 in the OG he'd be 26 in ACC, which'd be a year below Vincent's physical age. For the sake of consistency, I've decided to peg him as 24 if I ever write a fanfic where his exact age is relevant.

Re Vincent, the Turks are not a big organization; Veld would know everybody, so his recognizing Vincent is not of itself proof that Vincent was of high rank. And all the Turks call each other senpai. I don't think there's any canon proof that Veld and Vincent were of equal rank or "partners" in the New York cop sense, but on the other hand there's no canon evidence that they weren't. So everybody can believe what they like!

turktrans_reno.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Reno_enemyFFVII.png

I guess he could be 25. He could also be 35.

Here he is in Crisis Core, c. 6 years or so before the OG begins.

VIICC_Reno.jpg

And here he is in ACC approximately 10 years later:

4-reno-jpg.jpg

You can't really argue ages from these pictures. About the only thing they prove is that Reno got a bit older and then got younger again. I like to think he had a tragic accident with a Time materia. In another few years he'll have reverted to infancy and Marlene will be babysitting him.

Edited to add: he is not a rookie at the beginning of Before Crisis. He is a seasoned Turk. Veld is the Chief and Tseng is his no. 2, but Reno is right up there at the top of the chain of command. If this were the real world there is no way Reno could be so senior while still in his teens (unless he was fighting in the LRA or something), but in FF-Land, who knows.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
To be fair, taking every scrap of information given throughout the compilation and trying to make something consistent is a nightmare that yields variable results, depending on which source you choose to focus on over others. I'm pretty sure BC is the worst, seeing as not every fan is fluent in Japanese, it contradicts some stuff from other installments and is a phone game. Most uses of it I've seen generally pick and choose parts of what BC provides, while scrapping the rest.

Now, my question is what makes Reno rank higher than Rude? you'd think Rude would be more suitable for leadership.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Charismatic, outgoing people tend to ascend chains of command faster than quiet, skilled ones. There's no doubt Reno's skilled, of course, but it's not hard to believe that his extrovertedness gives him a leg up.

Reactions: dz

Shimi

Rookie Adventurer
Now, my question is what makes Reno rank higher than Rude? you'd think Rude would be more suitable for leadership.
Charismatic, outgoing people tend to ascend chains of command faster than quiet, skilled ones. There's no doubt Reno's skilled, of course, but it's not hard to believe that his extrovertedness gives him a leg up.

Ha ha. Rude is kinda shy, isn't he. Especially when he talks to anyone other than Reno. If Reno was a Turk when Rude was recruited then in would explain his seniority. That is if Reno actually does outrank Rude. I always thought they were essentially the same rank, with Rude generally letting Reno take the lead. (As if Reno wouldn't sulk otherwise) :P I also consider Reno to be more assertive and less hesitant.

Last edited:

Shimi

Rookie Adventurer
Although chief or director may possibly be considered top ranks, but I suspect that these positions are based on ability rather than seniority as Starling suggested. Reno is much more suited to field missions So he'd never be promoted to those jobs even if he wanted to be. Not that this makes guessing his age or years of service any easier. :sigh: Stupid classified information!

If this reference is of use to anyone, according to Case of Shinra, Rufus is 25 in the original game.
You might be onto something here. They appear to be about the same age... Hell, call me crazy but Reno looks like he could even be almost a year older! But his maturity doesn't resonate with that.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
Considering you can join the military at 14, I always assumed the age of majority was much lower in the world of FFVII and by 18 someone could be a seasoned Turk if they joined young. (I like imagining Reno as an Artful Dodger street kid who joined the Turks as a young teen).

As for eye color: Did you know light eyes aren't actually a color per se but an absence of color. Light eyes lack the melanin required to produce a set color (as in brown eyes) and do not have a blue pigment (the have a lower amount of the same brown melanin as everyone else - the only true eye pigment is brown) so the blue color we see has to do with light hitting the eyes - so light eyes can appear to change color based on what they're reflecting.

I have a light eyes and depending on what I wear, my make up, the weather, my mood, my eyes can seem green or blue or grey usually hovering around blue or grey. Most accurately I'd describe my eyes as the same color as the ocean, which if you've seen the ocean isn't one color either. Light eyes basically work the same way as the ocean: (if you want science-y stuff here's some http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/how-eyes-get-their-color )

So I'd say Reno is one of those people whose eyes are sometimes blue or green or greenish blue. For examples of people like that look at celebrities like Tom Hiddleston https://www.google.com/search?q=tom...a=X&ei=Kr9FVdXVG9e5oQSHnYDgAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Here are some pictures of me.
http://cameoamalthea.tumblr.com/post/101990858682/what-color-are-my-eyes

In the first picture, my eyes are pretty green. I'm not wearing green contacts - I'm just in a tree surrounded by lots of green.

While I doubt animators took enough time to actually have light eyed characters eyes change based on lighting and reflection of other colors - can just pretend that Reno's canon eye color is both - or we can use the fact his eyes used to seem bluer to head canon mako based drug use in his earlier years and angst about it.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I don't like the idea of a mako based drug. As for the eye color stuff, you have a valid point but like many fictional settings, FF7 seems to treat colors other than brown like they have their own pigments. I mean, Vincent, Rosso and Nero's red eyes don't look like they resulted from some kind of partial albinism.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
To be fair, taking every scrap of information given throughout the compilation and trying to make something consistent is a nightmare that yields variable results, depending on which source you choose to focus on over others. I'm pretty sure BC is the worst, seeing as not every fan is fluent in Japanese, it contradicts some stuff from other installments and is a phone game. Most uses of it I've seen generally pick and choose parts of what BC provides, while scrapping the rest.

It's actually not that hard when it comes to picking a source to rely on over others: just pick the most recent source. For example, the Nibelheim Incident has been depicted differently by several different sources, with the most recent being Crisis Core, so one should consider that game's version of the incident the most reliable (note that while the PC rerelease of the OG is technically more recent, it's just a port that only makes a few minor changes, so it doesn't count).

Kami-Kurenai

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Revelation!!

Hey everyone,

Reno is as old as Rufus. They were both born in 1982. Rude was born in 1978.

They both are 25 in FF VII and 27 in AC.

You can verify what I am saying at the Final Fantasy Wiki:

“finalfantasy. wikia.com“

Final_Fantasy_VII/Timeline

Or searching for “official timeline“.

I apologize if this was posted earlier, I didn't want to read every single post :no:

:salute:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
The wiki in itself isn't a viable source for this kind of thing, as it's not an official source. You'd have to check where they got that from in order to determine whether or not it's legit.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Kami-Kurenai said:
Hey everyone,

Reno is as old as Rufus. They were both born in 1982. Rude was born in 1978.

They both are 25 in FF VII and 27 in AC.

You can verify what I am saying at the Final Fantasy Wiki:

“finalfantasy. wikia.com“

Final_Fantasy_VII/Timeline

Or searching for “official timeline“.

I apologize if this was posted earlier, I didn't want to read every single post :no:

:salute:

^Hi there, welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately the FFwikia is incorrect, at least in regard to Reno and Rude. As yet there has been no canon birthdates given for them. I noticed this on the FFwiki about a year ago, and I edited it but it got changed back :monster:

Top Bottom