• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Interesting interview, and confirms all-too-late our suspicions that FF7R won't even be brought up at what's left of E3. It's likely that they'll roll out a new trailer at the next PS Experience, or their own private event. My prediction is that we'll get a "character reveal" trailer showing off Tifa and Aeris this December, and then at next year's E3 we'll get a demo and a release date.

FFVII Remake was still too early in development to even appear in this year's E3, so I'm not surprsied since I knew that it wouldn't appear months ago.

You knew? That's exciting! How did you know?

I just knew. Common sense, gut feeling, keeping a bit of track on updates of the games/movies that I love, and plus, from what I looked up on Wikipedia(yes, I know, that site is more of a fansite), it only began full development last year.

But other than that, it was just...logic sense. *shrugs*. I don't work for Square Enix, so I have no idea what on everyone's minds in the Company. Not to mention that, if you think about it, this year is mainly on FFXV, World of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue. Then next year is the remaster of FFXII, and, hopefully, Kingdom Hearts 3.

hian

Purist
That FFVII:R probably won't show up on E3 has nothing to do with its development cycle - it has already shown up, twice, in earlier stages of development.
It's also been in development for a relatively decent amount of time, and Nomura has now stated that the development is going along steadily - which means that in all likelihood, they have plenty of new material to show off should they desire to do so.

This has everything to do with marketing, and how SE has decided to put all of their hype-machine on FFXV for the moment.

I'm not sure about PS Experience (this one literally just ended, and there is no new-one on the horizon as far as I know), or other events for that matter. Tokyo Game Show is due this September though.

Not only is it an event being hosted on SE's home-ground, it's also the last major event place they've yet to host news about the game on, and it's their best chance to finally address the Japanese audience directly about the game, which they have yet to do (here in the west we've been lucky with live reveals on major press events, while Japan has had to make due with live-streams and magazine interviews).
That makes it, IMO, the likeliest bet for the next pool of news, if we get any at all prior to winter, which might actually not happen since Nomura said in the interview that they haven't decided on what to reveal yet, nor on when - meaning the next news reveal hasn't even cleared the planning stage.

I don't know how fast Nomura and co plan this kind of stuff though, so there's that.
And if the much speculated FFXV included FFVII:R demo is going to be a real thing, a September reveal on a major press event about 2 weeks before the release of the game would be a pretty sure-fire way of boosting sales to be sure, so they might have something like that up their sleeves.

paleofan

Pro Adventurer
Nomura talks about FF7 Remake in a new Famitsu interview:
http://www.khinsider.com/news/Famit...-KINGDOM-HEARTS-3-HD-2-8-FCP-Unchained-X-6667

Edit: Just realized this interview was actually posted on June 17 so it's not that new. Somehow, many french websites are just sharing this as if it was new:
http://www.gameblog.fr/news/61109-final-fantasy-vii-remake-une-tres-grosse-annonce-pour-biento
http://www.actugaming.net/final-fantasy-vii-remake-nouveau-infos-masse-vont-arriver-44045/
http://www.jeuxvideo-live.com/news/...ement-pour-final-fantasy-7-remasterisee-81102
I bet it's because one website made a news with this dated information and all the other ones copied it without checking the information first.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Nomura talks FFVII Remake in Dengeki PlayStation

Nomura notes 2017 marks the 20-year anniversary of the original Final Fantasy VII so they’d like to plan something. First thing’s first though: we’ll have to wait until the crowded release period of games such as World of Final Fantasy and other projects calm down a bit before the information ban can be lifted.

I don't think we'll hear anymore on the Remake until at least March next year.

While I am yet again talking about the Compilation, I hope Nomura will at least reveal more on the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII, like what content they're gonna use for the Remake if they're going to do this, and what's going on with the series itself.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
I don't think we'll hear anymore on the Remake until at least March next year.

The next two games being Worlds and XV are being released pretty soon, I could see some info dropping around PS Experience, unless this was already confirmed no info this year.

paleofan

Pro Adventurer
"You expected the first game to release for the 20th anniversary, nope, we'll just wait for it to give you the informations you didn't have this year."

:tauntingshinji:

ChOcOboO

Game-changer
Nomura notes 2017 marks the 20-year anniversary of the original Final Fantasy VII so they’d like to plan something. First thing’s first though: we’ll have to wait until the crowded release period of games such as World of Final Fantasy and other projects calm down a bit before the information ban can be lifted.

Yeah, he can tell us that and get our hopes up, but knowing Enix this thing is not gonna be out for another 4 years or so. -_-

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Yeah, he can tell us that and get our hopes up, but knowing Enix this thing is not gonna be out for another 4 years or so. -_-

Especially since 1), Final Fantasy VII is a big game and so Nomura and the team had to split the Remake into parts, which I still think is stupid; 2), he has another big project such as Kingdom Hearts 3 to complete and that's been in development years before FFVII Remake even started; 3), the Remake might(and I'm hoping it'll happen but knowing my luck, it's very unlikely) have contents and parts from the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII to put into the remake along with the new added story-parts to fit with most of the Original story; And 4), Nomura has too many projects working at the same time and can't multitask, so that's his biggest mistake-making such big games and then pause to work on other big games which all get delayed for several years.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
4), Nomura has too many projects working at the same time and can't multitask, so that's his biggest mistake-making such big games and then pause to work on other big games which all get delayed for several years.
Nomura has other people helping him in each project, Tai Yasue (KHIII co-director) can do most of KHIII work while Nomura does the remake.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The last answer he gives in that interview is very funny, considering how many FFs have downer/bittersweet/fridge-horror endings.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
That was a refreshingly candid interview. Fuck yes. More of that from Japanese game developers, please.

The last answer he gives in that interview is very funny, considering how many FFs have downer/bittersweet/fridge-horror endings.
Come to think of it, none of the ones where Sakaguchi had any significant involvement fit that bill, do they?

Lex

Administrator
That was my thinking when I read it too. Specifically FFVII's ending is the complete opposite of what he described lmao

hian

Purist
^ That, I think, is highly open to interpretation. FFVII ends with the planet being saved, Sephiroth being expelled from the life-stream, and with the promise of a new tomorrow as seen with Nanaki and his children. Life goes on and evil is vanquished.

The only way to see FFVII's ending as a negative is if you presuppose humanity and Cloud and Co living happily ever after is a prerequisite for that. I don't think Sakaguchi would.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
"Downer" and "bittersweet" aren't synonymous with "negative," though. X's ending is unambiguously a series of mostly positive developments, but it also ends very much on a bittersweet note -- even a downer if you're pretty invested in the romance subplot.

Lex

Administrator
^ That, I think, is highly open to interpretation. FFVII ends with the planet being saved, Sephiroth being expelled from the life-stream, and with the promise of a new tomorrow as seen with Nanaki and his children. Life goes on and evil is vanquished.

The only way to see FFVII's ending as a negative is if you presuppose humanity and Cloud and Co living happily ever after is a prerequisite for that. I don't think Sakaguchi would.

Sakaguchi said:
Yeah, I don’t doubt that you could make a game with an open-ended, artistic ending, like in French films, but that’s not my style.

VII's ending is without a doubt, the most open-ended ending in the FF series as a whole. It ends on a complete cliffhanger with a small scene in the epilogue showing you Nanaki running up to a seemingly destroyed Midgar. Yes certain things are resolved (i.e. Sephiroth), but it's "an open-ended, artistic ending" exactly as he described.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Unfortunately for pretty much everyone here in my case, I'm one of those who lothe cliff-hanger endings, because it drives me nuts for all of my life.

So in a way I am very relieved that they brought up the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII(though the down side is that they still haven't explained why Genesis picked up Weiss's body and what he would do with him in the secret ending of Dirge of Cerberus that I'm still waiting to be answered) and I love the sequels and prequels of Final Fantasy VII, because I'm one of those who loves happy endings, though sad endings like Zack's death I can cope with because at least it explains it instead of everyone's fates left to audiences, gamers, ect. imaginations.

Final Fantasy X's ending was sad but at least it wasn't left that much of a cliff-hanger, and then they made Final Fantasy X-2.

I was sad of the ending of Final Fantasy XV but at least it was explained and
Noctis and Lunafreya are happily married together in the Afterlife which, left to the souls of the dead, can give you anything you want, like your home with you because I believe in ghosts, god, and always thought of what our real Afterlife is like but not wanting to find out anytime soon, so it doesn't need a sequel,
in a way, it was pretty good. Sad but good.

hian

Purist
VII's ending is without a doubt, the most open-ended ending in the FF series as a whole.

Being the most open-ended ending of something is not a meaningful statement if non of the previous endings were open-ended at all.

Not saying they aren't - but if we're talking about a spectrum and Sakaguchi comparing games to french cinema the state of FFVII comparatively to previous titles is not indicative of FFVII therefore clearly being "very open-ended and artistic".

It ends on a complete cliffhanger with a small scene in the epilogue showing you Nanaki running up to a seemingly destroyed Midgar.

I don't consider that a cliffhanger and I don't think, comparatively to say what we consider cliffhangers in cinema, that it qualifies in general either.

Again, the primary plot of the game is entirely resolved. Cloud and Co, or humanity surviving is not pertinent to that. Thematically, and plot-wise the game is resolved.
The fact that the characters might be dead, or alive, and we don't know for sure which, is not a cliffhanger, because whatever the case may be, the game's story is not about seeing Cloud and Co surviving. It's about preventing planetary destruction and secure a future for the life on the planet.

Yes certain things are resolved (i.e. Sephiroth), but it's "an open-ended, artistic ending" exactly as he described.

Not in the context of what he said, if, as I'm sure he did given the fact that he's a professional who's worked with film, he was talking in technical terms. I could be wrong, but I could ask him about it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It's not a cliffhanger, no, but it is open-ended with regard to what entails "securing a future for the life on the planet." The game goes out of its way to present the question of whether human life will ultimately be judged as good or bad for that purpose -- and then does not answer this question in any obvious way for us despite it being answered for the occupants of the fiction.

That is pretty much a text-book example of an open-ended story.

Of course, you could reason (as I did long ago) that if Nanaki is fine, then more than likely someone was alive to safely land the airship he was occupying at the time of the ending. :awesome:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Of course, you could reason (as I did long ago) that if Nanaki is fine, then more than likely someone was alive to safely land the airship he was occupying at the time of the ending. :awesome:

Hahahaha. I don't know how I'd never thought of that, but that's brilliant.

X :neo:

Top Bottom