Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

paleofan

Pro Adventurer
In design, apart from Ferrari who works primarily on sub-characters,
such as the trio of Biggs and Co. that were made public this time around

You mean, the famous car brand? :loopy:
Whoever this Ferrari guy or company is, they should do all the characters considering how perfect the three Avalanche members are.

Add that to the fact that he is really vain as a person, and how he feels the need to constantly say stuff like "I didn't know this or that, and just kinda walked into it" in relation to his development work on several titles, which, in Japan, a country that general puts high stock in hard work and being prepared for things beforehand, comes off as extremely arrogant and narcissistic.

Now that you mention it, it's true that he always says stuff like that. Back in school, I bet he was that one student who always pretend he didn't study when he get a good mark :monster:

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I'd love to see hian's translation on the front page too. It's so incredibly in depth - right down to the baseball references. :lol:

I'm really grateful, hian. <3

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Great job on that translation, hian.
Quite a shame that "journalists" who are actually paid for doing that kind of work don't do half as well as you did. I find it annoying when the media run with ideas that are born from misleading translations.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Thanks for the wonderful translation, hian, I really enjoyed reading it. And I feel like it's actually accurate with you doing it, unlike when other websites do this stuff. :joy:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
This shouldn't be much of an issue, but in terms of using him as source of information for speculating about the nature of the remake it is. Basically, he's not the first person we should be listening to about what's going on behind the scenes.
Considering that he is the director, I think he deserves some credibility on what's going on with the remake.
He does, but he's notorious within the industry for his aloof nature. He has been referred to as the Clint Eastwood of Japan for a reason, after all.

Honestly, I get the impression that he's difficult to work with. He definitely has a history of contradicting other developers and reworking things during development to suit his preferences.

Theozilla said:
Firstly, no they wouldn't - not obviously to most foreign eyes at least. They're Japanese, and they work for a large Japanese company. They're not going to air person disagreements in public, at least not to any meaningful degree.

Secondly, it kinda was a tiny clash there, since the emphasis of Nomura, when he followed Kitase's statement about overriding him on the character design, went on to say something that would translate roughly "I did specify that I would do this from the very beginning" with the "n" particle strapped at the end of the verb to denote an unspoken implication, which I would definitely take to mean "so, it's not true that I suddenly came out of nowhere in making this change - just saying".

Now, if you ask me which one of Kitase and Nomura is more believable, I'd have to go with Kitase here.
I don't expect to have a huge public/personal disagreement or anything, but if one of them was explicitly stating something factually incorrect about the production, I don't think it is that unlikely a small polite/indirect correction could be mentioned, even with taking their Japanese cultural mannerisms in account.
I wouldn't expect them to. Japan's culture is one of "don't rock the boat," especially when it involves colleagues, more so when it involves the media, and especially when it involves colleagues and the media.

That's why no one in Japan is ever "fired." They just "retired for health reasons."

Pixel

The Pixie King
I'm trying to find your translation of this line, translated by Nova Crystalis
Kitase: &#8220;As you can see in the trailer, we showed Sector 1 and Sector 8, but in those areas alone, I think you can see a lot of density. When you&#8217;re remaking the entirety of the original version in that quality, it&#8217;s not possible to fit it all in one release.&#8221;

I can't find anything like that in yours

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Kitase: “As you can see in the trailer, we showed Sector 1 and Sector 8, but in those areas alone, I think you can see a lot of density. When you’re remaking the entirety of the original version in that quality, it’s not possible to fit it all in one release.”

I assume your talking about this article: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/...al-fantasy-vii-remake-is-a-multi-part-series/

I think it is because the first interview part they have is from the Dengeki Online article while the bullet point information is from the Famitsu article.

hian

Purist
Kitase: &#8220;As you can see in the trailer, we showed Sector 1 and Sector 8, but in those areas alone, I think you can see a lot of density. When you&#8217;re remaking the entirety of the original version in that quality, it&#8217;s not possible to fit it all in one release.&#8221;

That's because it isn't in the Famitsu interview, it's in the Dengeki one, which I haven't translated fully yet.

I did half of it yesterday, then fell asleep. I put it on hold because it wasn't really saying much of value that wasn't already covered in the lengthier and beefier Famitsu interview.

One thing worth noting though -

The quoted from Nomura talking about the parts shown in the trailer, I've translated as follows :

Nomura :
The video we showed you this time around was of, among
other things, Sector 1 and Sector 8, and just from that [alone]
I think you could feel the density [of it all].
If we were to remake all the content from the original game in that quality, no matter what we did it would not fit into a single game.

We need to frontpage this asap, do you mind if we publish it there Hian?

EDIT: I just finished reading the whole thing. It's really heartening to see how determined they are to make it amazing. Nomura specifically, when he's talking about the latest trailer at the end. I always get the impression that he's kind of "over it" when I watch his interviews or read them (relative to FFVII), but this fills me with joy.

No problem, though I think you might want to edit it a bit if you do, because the formatting is shait at the moment lol.

Considering that he is the director, I think he deserves some credibility on what's going on with the remake.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve credit for what's going on with the remake - I'm talking about trusting what he says about what's going on behind the scenes with the remake.

If Nomura says the game will include X, Y, and Z, we should take his word for it.
However, if he says the reason for that is A, B, and C, and several people on his team say it's just D, we should be skeptical.

Great job on that translation, hian.
Quite a shame that "journalists" who are actually paid for doing that kind of work don't do half as well as you did. I find it annoying when the media run with ideas that are born from misleading translations.

To be fair, not all journalists speak Japanese, but news are news.
I expect a lot of google translation, or bullet-point translation because they're looking to push out important news quickly to generate revenue.

It's a bit sad that fast news trumps accurate news, but then again, the market is at fault for that too. If consumers had more patience higher standards of quality, lazy journalism wouldn't fly.
As it is, we don't get the journalism we need, we get the journalism we deserve (*plays dark knight theme*) =P

EDIT :

Since I'm not that far out from Tokyo, I was wondering if we could do a petition for an interview ourselves on behalf of the community. Put something together with site management, send a mail in to Kitase and Co. and then I could travel in and do the leg-work and report back.
Just a thought.

Last edited:

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Since I'm not that far out from Tokyo, I was wondering if we could do a petition for an interview ourselves on behalf of the community. Put something together with site management, send a mail in to Kitase and Co. and then I could travel in and do the leg-work and report back.
Just a thought.

*worships*

We could put together a list of questions as a community)! :aah:

Pixel

The Pixie King
The quoted from Nomura talking about the parts shown in the trailer, I've translated as follows :

Nomura :
If we were to remake all the content from the original game in that quality, no matter what we did it would not fit into a single game.

That quote wasn't even from Kitase? Bad Nova Crystallis :P

If you're going to remake FFVII in HD while retaining the feeling of density of the original, it will end up on a size that cannot possibly fit in a single installment.&#8221;
Maybe change the word size to scale there. Not sure

That would be amazing. Id love to hear their thoughts on real world issues over the last 20 years, like terrorism, environmental issues and politics, and whether they effect their approach to the game.

hian

Purist

Nomura :

That quote wasn't even from Kitase? Bad Nova Crystallis :P

If you're going to remake FFVII in HD while retaining the feeling of density of the original, it will end up on a size that cannot possibly fit in a single installment.”
Maybe change the word size to scale there. Not sure

That would be amazing. Id love to hear their thoughts on real world issues over the last 20 years, like terrorism, environmental issues and politics, and whether they effect their approach to the game.

sorry for quoting the entire post, I'm on my ps vita.

I might have done a mistake here, but I'd have to wait checking that to when I get home. I do think it was Nomura though, because I seem to recall it was a follow up backing up what Kitaze had siad earlier.

As for density - the Japanese word here is definitely "density" rather than scale, but then again the Japanese words don't always translate well. The density he's speaking of here probably refers to the amount of stuff being processed on screen at any given time, the amount of NPC's, buildings, shadows and lighting, particle effetcs and of course, the scale of it all on top of that.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
sorry for quoting the entire post, I'm on my ps vita.

I might have done a mistake here, but I'd have to wait checking that to when I get home. I do think it was Nomura though, because I seem to recall it was a follow up backing up what Kitaze had siad earlier.

As for density - the Japanese word here is definitely "density" rather than scale, but then again the Japanese words don't always translate well. The density he's speaking of here probably refers to the amount of stuff being processed on screen at any given time, the amount of NPC's, buildings, shadows and lighting, particle effetcs and of course, the scale of it all on top of that.

I do think that they're talking about having a large number of high-quality assets in small areas for something that's vast in scale -- i.e. all the detail that we see of just a few streets of Midgar, which we know to be a ridiculously massive city on its own, not to mention that there's a whole world that surrounds it. In that case, density would be correct, because while something like Skyrim/Fallout/etc. has a massive scale, the density isn't always something you need to discuss, because you're only ever dealing with so much of it at a time.

tl;dr - You're correct that density is still the correct term for describing it.

X :neo:

Pixel

The Pixie King
Can we get hian's translation up on the frontpage? I just been linking to the forum post on facebook and reddit, but it would be nice to have it up for casual visitors :)

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Can we get hian's translation up on the frontpage? I just been linking to the forum post on facebook and reddit, but it would be nice to have it up for casual visitors :)

We need to frontpage this asap, do you mind if we publish it there Hian?

EDIT: I just finished reading the whole thing. It's really heartening to see how determined they are to make it amazing. Nomura specifically, when he's talking about the latest trailer at the end. I always get the impression that he's kind of "over it" when I watch his interviews or read them (relative to FFVII), but this fills me with joy.

No problem, though I think you might want to edit it a bit if you do, because the formatting is shait at the moment lol.

Sounds like a "yes", but who's gonna edit it?

Lex

Administrator
Whoever's willing that isn't me within the next 8 or so hours, because I need to sleep right now. If it's not done before I wake, I'll take care of it (and then I have an editorial to write and more news to publish XD).

This might work out for the best since if Hian's almost finished with the other translation we can post them both then I can write my editorial based on those.

hian

Purist
I'm on my way home now, so after I put my son to sleep and pacify my wife, I'll finish the Dengeki interview and get it up. After that look for the thread which will appear in short order named "Infiltrating Shinra - TLS interview project" where I'll outline my idea for approaching SE for an interview, and gather sources for questions etc.

The text comparison of the trailer might get up today as well, but also might have to wait for tomorrow.

EDIT :
That quote wasn't even from Kitase? Bad Nova Crystallis :P.

It was. I was so sleepy yesterday that I skipped Nomura's follow up, wrote his name, and then
went on to translate Kitase's next paragraph DERPDERPDERP.
Well, that should teach me to not work when I'm dead tired.

Last edited:

hian

Purist
I'm sorry for the double post, but I hope it can be forgiven granted it's a content update.
So without further ado, here is my translation of the Dengeki Interview :

As always a disclaimer (under spoiler tag)
I have translated this to focus on substance over style, meaning that I've prioritized keeping the original meaning of the text over it's natural English or stylistic flair for ease of reading.
While there are some sentences where style had to take precedence because flat and direct translation would detract from the meaning more than otherwise, generally, I think I've managed to keep it it as intact albeit a slightly tone-less and perhaps a bit boring to read.

Because Japanese is a high-context language where a lot of words and phrases which we would otherwise use in English to make sentences understandable are omitted, I will be providing filler words and expression using this format [ ] to fill out things for clarity's sake.
Where I have chosen style over direct translation although it might not have been necessary, I've provided the direct translation, or alternative words using this format ( ) . This format will also be used for personal notes, and might also appear in the text if they were used in the original text of the interview, though I will make it clear which is which in writing.

As for other formatting, question will be bold and preceded with the letter "Q", and the responses will be in standard format preceded by names.

Dengeki interview
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/173/1173362/

FFVII REMAKE has our old friend the limit break on board.
We're also pressing for [answers on] the circumstances around the segmentation [of the game]

(note : I am skipping the introduction - the two first paragraphs -
which only give the background for the interview in regards to the announcement and release of the new trailer, and the topic of the interview.
The actual interview starts after the first picture, and this phrase in bold
&#12302;FFVII REMAKE&#12303;&#12399;&#20998;&#20316;&#12395;&#12394;&#12427;&#12392;&#12398;&#12371;&#12392;&#12391;&#12377;&#12364;&#12289;&#35443;&#12375;&#12367;&#25945;&#12360;&#12390;&#12367;&#12384;&#12373;&#12356;&#12290;)

Q. In regards to FFVII REMAKE becoming a segmented/split product, please tell [us about it in] detail.

Kitase :
The idea that the remake of FFVII wouldn't fit into a single title was there from the [very] beginning. (note - "single title" was written as 1&#26412;, which is typically used to count a single physical copy of a game)
I/we cannot go into detail about the segmentation, so I think
you'll have to wait for future announcements.

Nomura :
When you try to cram it all into one game there is a chance that it becomes reduced to something like a "digest" [version]
While there probably will be portions taken out (literally "shaven off"),
because things added in probably won't be few - and added [to the fact] that we've made the judgement that we have to make a "full volume" remake - we decided to make it in parts (literally "segment it").

Kitase :

Q. What will the battle system turn out to be?

Kitase :
Unlike the command battle system from back in the days, like [what you saw] in the trailer (literally "video") we're aiming for a seamless active battle [system].

Nomura :
In terms of the (literally "feel of the") battle speed and tempo,
in order for people to be able to play without stress, we're thinking
[of making it] on par with that of Dissidia FF.
In terms of the degree of action [you can] probably [think of it as]
Dissidia FF > Kingdom Hearts > FFVII REMAKE.

It will definitely not be the type of action [system] that demands technique. We think we want to make a new system that you can use freely - an action battle system where you think strategically while fighting.

Q. What will happen to the battle system elements of the original?

Nomura :
At it's base it's [still] FFVII, so among other things, elements similar to the ATB gauge and limit breaks will be introduced with new means of utilization.

So please look forward to how [all of] this evolves with the remake.

Q. Will the story be adjusted to [things like/among other things] fit (literally "be made to match up with") with the times, or in connection with the compilation?

Nomura :
Apart from delving even deeper into the episodes [of the game], we're preparing tricks/devices/gimmicks (Author's note : there was no single word to properly capture the essence of this word) among other things.

After all, isn't it the case that the people who played the original game,
the important parts included, knows the story from beginning to end?
We're thinking we want those people as well to be able to get (literally "taste") surprised [by the story] once again.

Kitase :
We don't want to do a remake that ends with [just] tracing [people's]
nostalgia.
We want to make fans of the original excited (literally : "dokidoki",
the sound of a racing heart in Japanese) again.
We're re-adjusting the story putting those [kind of] feelings into it.

END OF INTERVIEW

That's it folks. That's all you get for now =P

Last edited:

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Dokidoki! I like that. :lol:

Thank you so much again, hian. I think the questions that received answers such as "well, I can't tell you much about that" will give us an idea of what sorts of questions we should be asking and which ones we should be avoiding if you are able to get an interview. :D

hian

Purist
It's done, see front page :monster:
Thank you. A real vote of confidence putting it on the main page, so I'm grateful for that.I'll try to keep providing you with translations when I can, as quickly and accurately as possible on anything and everything remake related.
Cheers.

Pixel

The Pixie King
The thing about deciding to do the remake, or talking about wanting to do it at the 25th anniversary of Final Fantasy is interesting. That means plan were set into motion at the end of 2012, so this could conceivably been in production for 3 years now, at least in the conception phase.

hian

Purist
The thing about deciding to do the remake, or talking about wanting to do it at the 25th anniversary of Final Fantasy is interesting. That means plan were set into motion at the end of 2012, so this could conceivably been in production for 3 years now, at least in the conception phase.

We know that it started production 1 year prior to the release of the announcement trailer at the very least, so you could be right to an extent.

Top Bottom