Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I can't actually remember the last game that I played where I encountered an invisible wall, that didn't involve already breaking bounds to get somewhere you're not supposed to be. Does that actually still happen a lot?

X :neo:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Not usually. Boundaries tend to be more organic these days.

Also, those images from that gallery still impress me. I love how they maintain the look and feel from the original game, while also feeling more open and immense.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I can't actually remember the last game that I played where I encountered an invisible wall, that didn't involve already breaking bounds to get somewhere you're not supposed to be. Does that actually still happen a lot?

I know of at least one upcoming AAA title in which it does. :monster:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
There may not be the ability to jump at all. Not that I'd mind. If implemented correctly, we just need the ability to poke and prod around any given area.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I played Steep the other day ("free" on PS Plus) and it's got that very strongly, :closedmonster:. While that of all games really shouldn't be needing it. I mean on skis you just add steep (hehe) faces (can't ski upwards), on the jet powered wings thing you can just let the engines stall out.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Personally, boundaries are no deal-breaker. I'm probably most interested in what they'll do as far as a World Map goes. I would be plenty happy if they built an entire layout like in Final Fantasy XV. Still waiting for an interview or some such thing to tell me what's up there.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I'm more thinking about the kinda thing where even modern games will put down just a few boxes, and it's impassible. Or worse: There's a foot at most of level difference, and you have to walk all the way around it.

There had BETTER be a jump and climb ability.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
There might not be. There might simply be a kind of object interactivity. Push towards a pile of crates and Cloud'll climb over. I was re-watching that gameplay trailer the other day and it struck me how non-vertical everything seemed. But then, there are also those screens of Cloud sneaking around. If sneaking is an option, I don't know why you WOULDN'T add in a jump button so you could leap at your foes.

But that brings up enemy targeting and the like. There are targeting reticles in some screens that would suggest not necessarily an open jump button, but the ability to aim somewhere and fire yourself in that direction.
C441-rvWYAAKERO.jpg

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I'd expect that the movement and traversal options are at least equivalent of what already exists in FFXV (Warp Strike notwithstanding), and for anyone like @Makoeyes987 who's recently completed Pitioss Dungeon, you know that means a lot of jumping. When it comes to the lack of Warp Strike, even that shows that you can have a button tied to "interact with environmental things" in a way that can be somewhat contextual that they've already done. It's not hard to imagine how you could make improvements to that basic control mechanic in a way that fits FFVII, and can vary slightly between environments. Hell, XV even had a number of infiltration and stealth sections as well that changed Warp Striking to be stealth attacks during those segments, so that's even done within that game already. I'd just expect it to be a bit more fluid since it'll likely be a more basic interaction mechanic for FFVII-R.

X:neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Let's separate that Jump and Interact button if you please, though, boys.

I never checked, but I always wondered: Was that issue an artifact of the O vs. X – cancel vs. accept difference between Japanese and US/EU default controls, and just not updating the control scheme mapping accordingly? I have the Advent Children PS3 from Japan, and I seem to recall that that mapping informed some games' behaviour oddly from time-to-time, so I always just assumed that that's why we ran into that Jumping/interaction issue.

(Related: With FFVII being the first PSX game I ever played back when, I started out thinking of O as select and X as cancel in general. It'll be interesting to see if they keep that option for the Remake or let you map your controls even more specifically).

X :neo:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Hoping for the latter. It's one of the areas where PC gaming excels over consoles to a considerable degree.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Problem is you can only remap the buttons. You can't remap their functions. So you're still stuck if they do something like XV again.

As I recall, they just used too many buttons. Triangle was mapped to the warpstrike, square was mapped to the defend, and X was mapped to the jump button, and circle is the cancel. I guess they thought it was better to just risk accidentally jumping instead of accidentally defending or using the cancel button? I dunno. It's stupid.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Imo the issue is less about "interact" and "jump" being on the same button but rather that "interact" uses both tap and hold to execute. This is important because XV has other two buttons that also have two different function, and uses tap and hold to give priority to which action will be performed, this being square and circle:

Hold Square: Phase-Dodging
Tap Square: Dodge-Rolling/Blink-Dodging
Tap Circle: Attack
Hold Circle: Sprint/Attack *

A way to fix the accidental jumping would be by making "interact" and exclusive function of holding X.

-------
*Outside of battle tapping would cause Noctis to attack and holding to sprint but during battle this changes slightly and may or may not cause issues dependingon the enemy distance (or Noctis distance compared to his lock-on point) and size. If the target is "far away" from Noctis "optimal range" holding circle causes Noctis to sprint to his target and attack once he's in the "optimal range", taping circle cause Noctis to attack independently of how far or close the target is to his optimal range. Short video detailling this phenomenon.

Last edited:

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
AHH! I had a feeling! Sorry for doubling down hahaha! It's cool I'll just keep a toe dipped in so when the big stuff hits I can still get good and wet but ta <3 you guys are having good discussions I'm sure!

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Verbatim c&p of smackynopants’ post on the FF7R Subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/as9my9
Square just posted their investor briefing in which they expect a big increase in revenue (as stated before) in Q3 of their fiscal year 2020. Which means between October - December 2019. They expect 40-50 billion yen, which is double that of Q2 and Q3 of 2018 combined. This can only mean FF7R the way i see it.

Q: What can you tell us about the timeline for your FY2020/3 releases?

A: I cannot go into any detail at the moment, but I believe we will be able to make various announcements in the leadup to this year’s E3.

Q: How likely are you to reach your operating income target of ¥40-50 billion with the lineup you have planned for FY2020/3?

A: We believe operating income of ¥40-50 billion will be attainable in FY2020/3 with the lineup we currently have planned, but we still see risk of deviating from our target depending on when we release new titles and on how our development efforts progress.

Read the entire thing here http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/19q3Outline.pdf

Top Bottom