Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

Pixel

The Pixie King
As long as we have control of all of the party members, I don't mind. I hate relying on AI.

Wonder if we'll get the version of G-bike thats on mobile. That would be awesome. I never bothered much with minigames other than chocobos.

Wonder if they'll change the whole snowboarding after losing Aerith, but keep it as a minigame.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I will never figure out what confuses people so much about that. You gotta get down the mountain somehow. It's not like it plays the happy music when you're doing it for real, it's just silent. How much time passing after her death would make people think it isn't weird?

Now, I do wonder if they'll change it on account of how do they get the other 7 party members down the mountain? :P

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere yet, and kinda old but omg

Tetsuya Nomura
IGN
17/06/2015
Square Enix's recently announced remake of Final Fantasy VII may not be the only classic entry in the series to get a major overhaul for current-gen consoles, as series director Tetsuya Nomura has expressed interest in remaking both Final Fantasy V and VI.

"Considering that we have remakes of Final Fantasy up to IV and then we have VII — I’ve been working with Mr. [Yoshinori] Kitase since Final Fantasy V, and we’ve noticed that V and VI are missing. That bothers me," Nomura told VentureBeat. "How come we skipped over those two?"

Nomura also shared some new information on the Final Fantasy VII Remake, confirming that it won't just be a carbon copy of the original release with spruced up visuals.

In an interview with Dengeki Online (via Gematsu), he said it "won’t be a simple remake," noting that "even if we were only making the graphics prettier for a next-generation machine, I don’t think it would exceed the original version."

:aah: :joy: :excited:

Because now we know he damn well means it.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Glad to see Nomura has acknowledged the disappointing omissions of V and VI. It's my pipe dream that at least VI gets similar treatment after VII's remake is over.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Tetsuya Nomura
Kotaku (from Weekly Famitsu)
24/06/2015
In an interview with Weekly Famitsu, remake director Tetsuya Nomura stated, “Actually, quite a while ago, I tried to start up the project [to remake FFVII], but at the time it didn’t come to fruition.”

According to Nomura, it was Square Enix Exec Shinji Hashimoto who approached Nomura and the original FFVII director Yoshinori Kitase about the new project. “Mr. Hashimoto was involved with the advertising and marketing of the original, so like [Mr. Kitase and myself], VII has a strong place in his heart.” Nomura explained.

Nomura is currently helming Kingdom Hearts III, so it’s surprising that he would take the reins of another high-profile project when the one he’s still developing as of yet has no release date. It turns out Nomura himself was surprised by the fact that he was directing the FFVII remake.

“As preproduction went along and I offered my opinions on what I thought should be done, Mr. Kitase would asked me how the individual elements should be adjusted in fine detail.” Nomura recalled. “It was very perplexing. Then one day, as I was checking the internal company presentation video it said ‘Director Tetsuya Nomura’ at the end.”

Apparently this was news to Nomura who had assumed that Kitase would be reclaiming the director’s chair for the remake of his game. “So I called up Mr. Kitase and said, ‘It says that I’m the director for some reason.’ To which he replied, ‘If course it does.’” Nomura said with a nervous laugh.

The “’I thought you were going to direct!’ ‘Well I thought YOU were going to direct!’” episode was something that happened in the initial stages of the project’s inception and Nomura has stated that he is presently well aware of and well into his position as director.

Lex

Administrator
I just read that too :monster:

Also Drax, that quote is included in one of the interviews from the OP so I'm not going to add it in :monster:

It's really interesting to me that Kitase isn't directing even when Nomura thought he would be. When was the last time Kitase directed a FF game?

EDIT: FFX apparently.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Was he promoted to upper management or something? If thats the case he could oversea it as producer and keep Nomura in check. Directing would be a much more hands on role.

Pixel

The Pixie King
Just read this

Hironobu Sakaguchi, the Final Fantasy series' creator, chose Kitase to be producer of the mainline Final Fantasy games developed by Product Development Division 1. In this new position, Kitase would then choose Motomu Toriyama as his successor as director, and produce Final Fantasy X (2001), Final Fantasy X-2 (2003), Final Fantasy XIII (2009), Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2011), and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (2013), all of which Toriyama directed.

Maybe he's more comfortable with producing. Nomura seems to have more of a cinematographer's approach

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Can we have a front page article now please? That "no new characters" interview alone is pretty big news. I'd do it but I'm otherwise busy, as I explained in that going away thread recently.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
lol, one front page post per minigame.

And why not? I'm sure we have people here that can write books about the minigames, :monster:.

Also: we should probably save the pages of information and keep them in a stash somewhere, in case the sources go offline and are unavailable through the internet archive. I can set up a shared Dropbox folder or something, for example.

Lex

Administrator
Can we have a front page article now please? That "no new characters" interview alone is pretty big news. I'd do it but I'm otherwise busy, as I explained in that going away thread recently.

What interview are you referring to?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The one shared by Kashkabald. But we could do an interview roundup, or a new "everything we know" article since the last one was the most popular part of our remake announcement coverage. :)

Lex

Administrator
Interview roundup is probably a good idea, I'll follow a similar format to the "everything we know" article.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Also: we should probably save the pages of information and keep them in a stash somewhere, in case the sources go offline and are unavailable through the internet archive. I can set up a shared Dropbox folder or something, for example.

Quoting myself: I set up a dropbox folder and stored the article HTML and text into them. Should probably also chuck the actual URLs in there, :monster:

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
^^^ It's like this:

giphy.gif

:desucait:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member

Yeah, the "There won’t be new characters" statement from the gematsu interview does seem like it can be interpreted in multiple ways.
Does it just mean that there won't be any completely new original characters relative to the FFVII universe/compilation as a whole created for the remake? Or does it count already existing characters that were introduced outside of the OG in the other compilation entries as "new characters" too, and that there won't be any appearances/incorporation and/or references/cameos to the compilation-introduced characters whatsoever?
Because I would be surprised if it meant the latter, especially when Nomura said in the Kotaku interview that "there will be more plot devices in the story".

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Maybe he means no new playable characters? I would find it odd for them not to have any of the other characters from the rest of the compilation in the remake. It'd be like writing a whole book series, and then abandoning everything you just wrote except for the first book.
I'm thinking the remake will include characters from all over the compilation; if they're not shown (like Genesis for instance), then at least they'd be mentioned in some way or alluded to.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
There's a concern of diluting the original game with all the new characters they've added, though. They weren't all received well (especially Genesis, gross), and they'd have to be pretty tactful with that.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I mean, all of those other characters were supposed to have been written in such a way that inherently explained their absence in the original story.
Obviously their success is pretty arguable on some of them, but either way it still would definitely allow for them not to be included or mentioned without "ignoring" them.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I mean, all of those other characters were supposed to have been written in such a way that inherently explained their absence in the original story.
Obviously their success is pretty arguable on some of them, but either way it still would definitely allow for them not to be included or mentioned without "ignoring" them.
Of course, I don't think a character like Genesis will have any direct appearances in the remake (I personally don't dislike Genesis. I don't think he is a great villain, but I find him serviceable enough), but I would just be surprised if Nomura's "no new characters" line meant there will be zero allusions/references to him and other compilation characters (like Banora Village could be a visitable location in the remake).

Or for another example, such as Cloud's initial retelling of the Nibelheim incident, (which is the only place Genesis could directly appear) I don't even think he will appear in Cloud's telling of it, but there could be a way of referencing his Crisis Core appearance. Like say, after Sephiroth's "Am I...human?" line, have there be a flash/visual memory glitch occur (similar to Cloud's conversation with his Mother, or his first encounter with Reno) and have Cloud begin to say he thought someone else came into the reactor, but then "correct" himself and say there wasn't. And then have a shot of Cloud leaving the reactor but in the background there is now a dumbapple sitting on one of the stair grates, like in CC, where there wasn't one before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom