Remake Interviews: Catch-all Thread

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Much like I will have to do whenever they change something from the OG, y’all compilation nerds have to chill. Those games aren’t going anywhere, play em all ya like.

Honestly, it's debates like this that become all-consuming and destroy friendships. I've seen it with VII in the past, I'm watching with XV now and their AU shenanigans, and it'll happen again when the remake is released. These games are special to us, I get it, but they don't need to make or break real-life relationships.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Well, maybe they might, and that's a very unlikely "might", just have Sephiroth or Tseng think about Genesis, but I doubt, if they do add parts of the Compilation, that Cloud would be focusing on remembering Genesis. His main enemy is Sephiroth, just as Genesis was Zack's main enemy, but that moment at Nibelhiem is the most important thing.

Though they could add him as a secret boss or something. Same with Deepground and maybe add in flash-backs of the BC Turks for the three original Turks-Tseng, Reno and Rude-but again, as Lex said, most likely they'll ignore the compilation in the remake.

Sorry, my bad. That makes four us, then. Or very likely much more than that if anyone else wants to raise their hands on who is a fellow lover of the Compilation.

I want Before Crisis to be acknowlaged as well as the game to be remade in full HD CGI game. I don't want any of the Compilatin titles to be erased. Please keep it in existance. Plus, I love Zack too. He's one of my favorites.

Yeah Cloud should be remembering how he definitely didn't chuck Sephiroth off the Mako Reactor platform as established in Before Crisis and Last Order. None of this Genesis nonsense.

Kingdom Hearts530

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Heart/Sam
Which is very sad, because the Remake will have it's own continuation like the current Pokemon movies being it's own alternate continuation, yet Dissidia NT still acknowlages the Compilation's existance.

Well, maybe they might, and that's a very unlikely "might", just have Sephiroth or Tseng think about Genesis, but I doubt, if they do add parts of the Compilation, that Cloud would be focusing on remembering Genesis. His main enemy is Sephiroth, just as Genesis was Zack's main enemy, but that moment at Nibelhiem is the most important thing.

Though they could add him as a secret boss or something. Same with Deepground and maybe add in flash-backs of the BC Turks for the three original Turks-Tseng, Reno and Rude-but again, as Lex said, most likely they'll ignore the compilation in the remake.

Sorry, my bad. That makes four us, then. Or very likely much more than that if anyone else wants to raise their hands on who is a fellow lover of the Compilation.

I want Before Crisis to be acknowlaged as well as the game to be remade in full HD CGI game. I don't want any of the Compilatin titles to be erased. Please keep it in existance. Plus, I love Zack too. He's one of my favorites.

I REALLY want a Before Crisis game. I love the Turks and I know I'd ADORE Veld if I actually got to see him in action. I still want Crisis Core to get a PS4 port but I stopped holding my breath for that.

I... wouldn't be sad if Genesis disappeared though. Not that sad in the slightest tbh. But then I feel like Angeal would go too.... and I don't want that

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Personally I'm mostly just hoping for easter eggs and/or excuses/basis for additional explorable locales e.g. Banora and Modeoheim.

Anyways, I'm a Compilation fan but I think people (fans and critics of it) blow out of proportion the significance of whether the Remake will ignore or incorporate elements of the Compilation, especially since the vast majority of Compilation material was/is stuff that wouldn't show up in the OG/Remake narrative to begin with. People just perseverate on the presentation specifics of the few small scenes that do intersect (i.e. the Nibelheim incident, Zack's death, and Vincent/Lucrecia flashbacks) which make up a small amount of the content from both the OG/Remake and Compilation.

Last edited:

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
Shit I don't want to see in the Remake:
- celebrity appearances
- compilation retcons getting validation
- all of the characters being next-level badass (the whole story is a development curve FFS, they didn't start off awesome)
- region-specific titles, expansions or mobile games accessible to a small portion of the fandom
- Red XIII having a ridiculous shrill voice. Dude's got a chest cavity like a keg, I'm expecting a deep growl or GTFO.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Has Red had a shrill voice before? The only time he's spoken he had the same voice as Kain and Caius, right? I'm not sure how much I liked that either: it was only one sentence, so it was hard to get a read, but shrill is not a word I'd use.

Lex

Administrator
It was weirdly high in that one line in AC, but that's what they said they were going for (young). I didn't like it either. I'm referring to the Japanese voice ofc. I don't even remember what his line sounds like in English, so vehemently have I avoided that dumpster fire.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Has Red had a shrill voice before? The only time he's spoken he had the same voice as Kain and Caius, right? I'm not sure how much I liked that either: it was only one sentence, so it was hard to get a read, but shrill is not a word I'd use.

It was Liam O'Brain but not doing his uber badass voice like Kain and Caius, just a deep calm one. I thought it worked.

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
Red's voice in ACC is pretty low though? He only has that one line and it's like proper posh English and yeah, well low. Cait Sith has that right squeaky kinda Scottish sounding thing going on though, that's kinda annoying I always thought, but I don't mind Red's at all.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Red's voice in ACC is pretty low though? He only has that one line and it's like proper posh English and yeah, well low. Cait Sith has that right squeaky kinda Scottish sounding thing going on though, that's kinda annoying I always thought, but I don't mind Red's at all.

I have no issues with any of the English cast of the film, except that in the Complete version, Marlene's replaced voice actress sounded off compared to her voice in the first version which I have on DVD. Love both versions of the film despite the latter being changed slightly with new scenes added(like Kingdom Hearts Final Mix versions having new scenes added to the games).

The voice that I hate the most though is Hojo's in both Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core. Then again, I hate that guy with the vengeance, and not just because he's an evil, old coot who has no care for humanity at all. Everything about him just makes my skin crawl.

Oh fuck it's worse in English

Red was voiced by the guy who voiced Kain in the remake of FFIV, Dissidia 012 and Caius Ballad in FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns. I'm pretty certain they'll have someone else voice him and hopefully he'll sound a bit better than in the movie...which was pretty much the only time anyone's ever heard Red's voice in the history of FFVII.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I have no issues with any of the English cast of the film, except that in the Complete version, Marlene's replaced voice actress sounded off compared to her voice in the first version which I have on DVD. Love both versions of the film despite the latter being changed slightly with new scenes added(like Kingdom Hearts Final Mix versions having new scenes added to the games).

The voice actress for Marlene had grown up to be an adult by the time of Complete version. Recast was unavoidable.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I don’t get revulsion towards Liam O’Brien’s reading of the line, it’s sounds fine to me (I definitely would not describe it as shrill). Reminds me of the inflection he’s used for Doctor Tenma in the Naoki Urasawa’s Monster English dub or Inigo/Laslow from Fire a Emblem.

Last edited:

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
goddangit i missed the discussion :okay:
anyways i (unshockingly) enjoyed some of the CC "recons"; sephiroth being friendly, zack being one of his friends, and genesis and angeal were interesting, but even i can see how they would be the most troubling to fit into the story. it would drag out way more of the story and i can only imagine it being convoluted.

ALTHOUGH....there are three separate sets that is going to be released right? not all at once, so....maybe, but i'm not placing any hard bets.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
The voice actress for Marlene had grown up to be an adult by the time of Complete version. Recast was unavoidable.

I know, but the voice actress they picked for the recasting just didn't sound right to me. Well, no use complaining about that now since it's already been done. Plus, they'll have another young actress to voice her for the Remake anyway.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I don’t get revulsion towards Liam O’Brian’s reading of the line, it’s sounds fine to me (I definitely would not describe it as shrill). Reminds me of the inflection he’s used for Doctor Tenma in the Naoki Urasawa’s Monster English dub or Inigo/Laslow from Fire a Emblem.
I feel it's too smooth for wolflioncatdog.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
IDK, I know some people like it, I just wasn't expecting a canid-type animal to have a public school accent is all. Also you can imagine that if he raised his voice or got emotional, it would be shrill as fuck. It's resting shrill voice. :monster:
@Claymore thanks for the link, that's the version I have.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
IDK, I know some people like it, I just wasn't expecting a canid-type animal to have a public school accent is all. Also you can imagine that if he raised his voice or got emotional, it would be shrill as fuck. It's resting shrill voice. :monster:
@Claymore thanks for the link, that's the version I have.

Well I don’t have to imagine it since I have heard a number of other Liam O’Brien’s performances that had him get emotional or raised his voice, and I can say he didn’t/doesn’t sound shrill in those at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom