• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

ResurrXion (Post-IvX X-Men reboot) [Marvel]

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
afpktmwu5i8wowm5qqxq.png

X-Men-ResurreXion-Marvel-Relaunch1.jpg

580a731a487b2.jpg

580a72c1b1191.jpg

580a7340f0b47.jpg

580a7392011b2.jpg

580a73b8064b4.jpg

580a72e9669b1.jpg

580a736ad6018.jpg

This is the lineup of X-Men titles that we'll be looking at post-IvX. Given the Blue Vs. Gold lineup image, I'm very confident that I'll be reading X-Men Blue, and less sure about X-Men Gold (although this feels like it's going to be almost exactly the same as me heavily preferring UXM to the other X-Titles pre-Secret Wars). Other than that, Generation-X & Weapon-X have my eye, mainly because I miss seeing NEW Mutants, and All-New Wolverine has been absolutely spectacular. Also, I'm in for Cable depending on what it covers and who's on it, because I have genuinely missed his stuff since Uncanny X-Force ended pre-Secret Wars. X-Men Gold, Jean Grey, & Iceman are ones that I'll probably check out when they start to see how they are, but am not really certain that I'll be devoted to following: Gold, because I have a feeling they'll be the X-team who generally gets on my nerves, and the other solos, because while they're in All-New X-Men now, I don't really know how much I'd be in to following their individual adventures, but I can absolutely see why they're the picks for solo series, given their changes and outlooks on everything.

Lastly:
What else can you tease about this initiative?

Daniel Ketchum: Some random thoughts I’ve had in the past week:

• If I say, “A beloved X-Man returns and will lead the X-Men into the future,” who will readers think I’m talking about?

I mean... I highly doubt they are, but I really hope that they're talking about Cyclops (and not Young!Cyke).

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
He said "beloved X-Man," which Marvel has gone out of their way for a while now to tell us Scott isn't. =P Even when he wasn't the asshole in a given situation. But they've "fixed" that now too by giving him the biggest fucking dose of plot-induced stupidity in "Death of X."

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
As for me, superpumped about Generation X, Jubilee is my favorite character and is already confirmed to be in it. X-Men Gold seems really promising to me, even if Lemire stays with this group, it's got Rachel in it. Cable's a mustbuy. I'll checkout Jean and Weapon X. I'm sure I'll be buying X-Men Blue for whichever X-Men is returning in ResurrXion, Marvel knows by now the 05 can't stand on their own merits.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
He said "beloved X-Man," which Marvel has gone out of their way for a while now to tell us Scott isn't. =P Even when he wasn't the asshole in a given situation. But they've "fixed" that now too by giving him the biggest fucking dose of plot-induced stupidity in "Death of X."

True… :/ Death of X is the biggest disappointment for every reason.

Oh, I swear to god, if it's friggin' Charles Xavier…

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

True… :/ Death of X is the biggest disappointment for every reason.

Oh, I swear to god, if it's friggin' Charles Xavier…

I rather hope it is, not just because I like Professor X in his own right but because I think it's important that his death is no longer laid at Cyclops' feet. Phoenix or no, it's kind of an elephant in the room whenever he's back in a leadership position amongst the X-Men. I'm done with stupid X-shaped visor wearing edgelord Cyclops and to get the old one back, Xavier kinda has to come first, if you ask me.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
With Young!Cyke being on the scene with the rest of the All-New crowd, I highly doubt that we'll ever get the non-so-called-"edgelord" Cyclops to return, any more than we'll get the original Wolverine back in non-Old-Man-Logan form.

I really liked Original!Cyclops' developments from AvX through UXM #600, because they put him through a really good arc from start to finish after losing all trust in humanity by proving Mutants to them by force with the Phoenix 5 fixing various global woes and things all going wrong, up through doing so with peaceful protest or sorts with all the other mutants in UXM #600. That's mostly why Death of X is so obnoxious (in addition to the art being absolutely atrocious), because it still plays him like he's bent on engaging in conflict and forcing everyone into a single extremist plan of action, and not the sort of person who's got a host of other plans
xmenjuggernaut121.jpg

Overall, I think that Professor X has more than had his time, and he's been more problematic to the future of the X-Men than Cyclops's ever been (whatever happens in the next 2 issues of Death of X notwithstanding).

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
With Young!Cyke being on the scene with the rest of the All-New crowd, I highly doubt that we'll ever get the non-so-called-"edgelord" Cyclops to return, any more than we'll get the original Wolverine back in non-Old-Man-Logan form.

I really liked Original!Cyclops' developments from AvX through UXM #600, because they put him through a really good arc from start to finish after losing all trust in humanity by proving Mutants to them by force with the Phoenix 5 fixing various global woes and things all going wrong, up through doing so with peaceful protest or sorts with all the other mutants in UXM #600. That's mostly why Death of X is so obnoxious (in addition to the art being absolutely atrocious), because it still plays him like he's bent on engaging in conflict and forcing everyone into a single extremist plan of action, and not the sort of person who's got a host of other plans
xmenjuggernaut121.jpg

Overall, I think that Professor X has more than had his time, and he's been more problematic to the future of the X-Men than Cyclops's ever been (whatever happens in the next 2 issues of Death of X notwithstanding).

But the issues between AvX and #600 don't even begin to explain how he got all those people that showed up to be completely cool with him again. Like Jubilee and Juggernaut are gonna have SOME misgivings about him killing Charles. The Blob, Lady Mastermind, Fantomex showing for a entirely peaceful protest alongside humans is pretty out of character. It's entirely unearned and I gotta see it as a Last Days Of that like the others, didn't pan out because it could not have been meant to be followed up on.

Anyway we will for sure get Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Professor X back one day. They're pretty iconic to the franchise. It's only a question of how soon, and in what order.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
But the issues between AvX and #600 don't even begin to explain how he got all those people that showed up to be completely cool with him again. Like Jubilee and Juggernaut are gonna have SOME misgivings about him killing Charles. The Blob, Lady Mastermind, Fantomex showing for a entirely peaceful protest alongside humans is pretty out of character. It's entirely unearned and I gotta see it as a Last Days Of that like the others, didn't pan out because it could not have been meant to be followed up on.

Anyway we will for sure get Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Professor X back one day. They're pretty iconic to the franchise. It's only a question of how soon, and in what order.

Did you read through those comics? I don't mean any offense, because it sounds like you've familiarized yourself with the basic premise of what happened, but didn't actually read through the developments that brought them about, because there are details it seems like you're assuming are missing that are part of the comics' development.

For example: Nobody knew why he brought them together at the capitol until he started talking. All the people who showed up in UXM #600 weren't completely cool with him again when they showed up. He wasn't even on good terms with everyone from the UXM team at that point.
uncanny-x-men-600-14-kitty-magik-10.jpg

uncanny-x-men-600-15-kitty-magik-11.jpg

uncannyx-men2013-600-gszvz.jpg

uncannyx-men2013-600-4daht.jpg

That moment is not at all unearned, and it's also not at all related to whether or not he's responsible for killing Charles. UXM 600 is about all of the Mutants as a whole, and not about Scott specifically or what happened with him at the end of AvX or even throughout a good chunk of UXM. He's just the one to make the demonstration happen and give it a purpose - which is to carry out Charles' dream regardless of why he's no longer there. (Him demonstrating that Mutants aren't a threat also clashes SO HARD with the fact that he'd just immediately jump to declaring war on the Inhumans in Death of X that it just reeks of plot devicery).

Also, I'm not sure why you think that we'll be getting those four back "one day" since most of them have still actively around in at least some capacity pretty much constantly:

• Young!JeanGrey has already back with the All-New group since that series started before Secret Wars, and she's getting get own standalone with ResurrXion.
• Old Man Logan has been around since Secret Wars and is probably gonna be around X-23 in some capacity in WeaponX.
• Young!Cyclops has been around as long as Young!Jean has, in addition to Normal!Cyclops (up until whatever the hell happens in Death of X).

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
"In some capacity" still isn't the actual characters, though. :monster:

Anyhow, yeah, DoX's depiction of Cyke feels so at odds with how he was when last we saw him (even as Hickman depicted him), I don't know what else to call it but yet another example of the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe just not retaining all of the pre-"Secret Wars" continuity. Hickman had the guy prepared to handle shit if shit went down, but he seemed a lot calmer.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Did you read through those comics? I don't mean any offense, because it sounds like you've familiarized yourself with the basic premise of what happened, but didn't actually read through the developments that brought them about, because there are details it seems like you're assuming are missing that are part of the comics' development.

For example: Nobody knew why he brought them together at the capitol until he started talking. All the people who showed up in UXM #600 weren't completely cool with him again when they showed up. He wasn't even on good terms with everyone from the UXM team at that point.
That moment is not at all unearned, and it's also not at all related to whether or not he's responsible for killing Charles. UXM 600 is about all of the Mutants as a whole, and not about Scott specifically or what happened with him at the end of AvX or even throughout a good chunk of UXM. He's just the one to make the demonstration happen and give it a purpose - which is to carry out Charles' dream regardless of why he's no longer there. (Him demonstrating that Mutants aren't a threat also clashes SO HARD with the fact that he'd just immediately jump to declaring war on the Inhumans in Death of X that it just reeks of plot devicery).
I know the group of X-Men that Magik teleported in were surprised by what was happening. That does not account for anyone else.

Magneto and Magik both went there because they heard Cyclops was up to something. Why would that news get the Brotherhood or retired Gen X members travel to DC by land and storm Capitol Hill. How did they beat a teleporter there is they were just as uninformed beforehand? Even the Utopians' motivation for joining Cyclops wasn't explored. They were on the podium with him, I feel it's implied they were nominally on his side.

And if all these people were brought there under false pretenses, I don't see how the protest remained peaceful. This was back when Sabretooth had only just stopped him a serial rapist and murderer. X-Men and humans alike were happily rubbing shoulders with him.

Also, I'm not sure why you think that we'll be getting those four back "one day" since most of them have still actively around in at least some capacity pretty much constantly:

• Young!JeanGrey has already back with the All-New group since that series started before Secret Wars, and she's getting get own standalone with ResurrXion.
• Old Man Logan has been around since Secret Wars and is probably gonna be around X-23 in some capacity in WeaponX.
• Young!Cyclops has been around as long as Young!Jean has, in addition to Normal!Cyclops (up until whatever the hell happens in Death of X).

4 years doesn't make me feel this status quo will last till the end of time. Eventually all three of those characters will get killed off for some event or storyline. Kurt Darkholme didn't prevent Nightcrawler from coming back, a bunch of alternative Superman didn't prevent Clark Kent from coming back, even just the post-Flashpoint version was too dissimiliar and wouldn't take, and he had about 4 years of storytelling on several different books under his belt too when they decided he wasn't good enough. They use the return of the marriage too Lois and Mary-Jane as a ploy to sell comics about a newly returned version of Spider-Man and Superman. The love triangle between the adult and married Jean and Scott and not quite so old Wolverine will come back eventually too.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
And if all these people were brought there under false pretenses, I don't see how the protest remained peaceful. This was back when Sabretooth had only just stopped him a serial rapist and murderer. X-Men and humans alike were happily rubbing shoulders with him.

That's the point though. Still-considered-a-mutant-terrorist Cyclops gathering together vast arrays of various Mutants under various levels of explanation or lack thereof is a basic recipe for conflict. The point of it all is that even given all of that, the issue that they all collectively face AS MUTANTS is a bigger one than that. Despite all their differences and disagreements, the one thing that is binding them all together in a peaceful protest there is that no one can deny the strength of that message, because it's bigger than all of them individually. — Of Course we don't see it play out past that point, because it was really a bookend for the X-Men of the 616 meant to end on that note and give a sense of hope, and all of those reasons are why I think it worked and was well-earned.

4 years doesn't make me feel this status quo will last till the end of time. Eventually all three of those characters will get killed off for some event or storyline. Kurt Darkholme didn't prevent Nightcrawler from coming back, a bunch of alternative Superman didn't prevent Clark Kent from coming back, even just the post-Flashpoint version was too dissimiliar and wouldn't take, and he had about 4 years of storytelling on several different books under his belt too when they decided he wasn't good enough. They use the return of the marriage too Lois and Mary-Jane as a ploy to sell comics about a newly returned version of Spider-Man and Superman. The love triangle between the adult and married Jean and Scott and not quite so old Wolverine will come back eventually too.

Despite ResurrXion being a soft reboot of X-Men, All-New All-Different has been primarily about shifting the status quo of the main heroes and building things that're new, and by-and-large, it seems to've been very successful at that so far. Aside from whatever characters got put in place anew at the start of ANAD, it feels like there'll be a long time before any of the old characters or their stories "needs" to return, because (especially with Civil War II), the truly new generation of heroes is really spectacular, especially because of how they build off of the legacy of where they came, and the heroes who they mentored under for a time.

Time will obviously tell, but I'm perfectly happy with Old Man Logan being who he is and Laura being Wolverine, because they still serve important roles to the story as it's evolved — same with Young!Cyclops&Jean, and that seems to be the whole goal of All-New All-Different in a nutshell moving in to Marvel Now! as a differentiator to what it was previously.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I have to disagree there, X. It seems to me that the whole goal moving into Marvel NOW! 2.0, at least with the X-books, is to tap into the same recipe that has made DC's Rebirth relaunch so successful -- and indeed, has allowed DC to dominate the second half of 2016.

With titles like "X-Men Blue," "X-Men Gold" and "Generation X," Marvel will obviously be trying to invoke its 90s era and the X-books' heyday, as DC has been doing so much lately.

X said:
That's the point though. Still-considered-a-mutant-terrorist Cyclops gathering together vast arrays of various Mutants under various levels of explanation or lack thereof is a basic recipe for conflict. The point of it all is that even given all of that, the issue that they all collectively face AS MUTANTS is a bigger one than that. Despite all their differences and disagreements, the one thing that is binding them all together in a peaceful protest there is that no one can deny the strength of that message, because it's bigger than all of them individually. — Of Course we don't see it play out past that point, because it was really a bookend for the X-Men of the 616 meant to end on that note and give a sense of hope, and all of those reasons are why I think it worked and was well-earned.

I still think it's a fantastic bookend to the 616 X-Men, and that it was earned relative to the course of their entire publication history, but I can certainly understand it not feeling earned on the basis of Bendis's run alone.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Not that I think he's wrong, but Claremont keeps commenting on stuff like this as though he's an insider, even though he's barely had any involvement with any X-books in the past five years (he did do that 12-issue Nightcrawler series that ended last March), and hasn't been allowed near the core titles (e.g. "Uncanny X-Men") in 10 years.

I get that he crafted nearly every well-known and beloved element of the franchise during his 1975-1991 stint as the architect of Marvel's merry mutants, but he always comes off so butthurt in interviews even though Marvel has been pretty good to him. They recognize that he maintains a significant fanbase, and every few years they either give him the chance to write an ancillary X-book that is no longer doing well (as when he was given "Exiles" and "Excalibur") or allow him to indulge in some alternative continuity pet project for a couple years ("X-Men: The End," "X-Men Forever").

He may have been the best (not even just for the X-Men, but in general) during his heyday, but his sensibilities from back then are still his sensibilities now -- and mind control, body swaps and clones are a little played out, in my own opinion.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Even more 100% into the X-Men Blue team now. Will still begrudgingly follow the Gold Team's exploits. Pretty much as expected, but it's really cool to see Magneto leading the All-New All-Different kids.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Eh, this may really be it for me this time. After the craptastrophe that is "Death of X," any genuine interest I had in "Inhumans vs. X-Men" has been replaced with the same morbid curiosity I went into "Civil War II" with.

I'm thoroughly disappointed with the direction (and its handling) of the X-books post-"Secret Wars," and I didn't like much about Bendis's tenure with them before that (just Eva Bell and the annuals focusing on her; the idea to give each of the Cuckoos a distinct look; and the final few pages of "Uncanny X-Men" #600). I was hoping "Death of X" could make the past year or so's disappointing run with these titles seem worth the time taken to read them, but it feels like Lemire either had a massive brainfart about the story he spent the past year hinting at or just didn't care.

These ResurrXion rosters and what little we've been told about the books' premises so far don't sound different enough from the All-New, All-Different Marvel landscape to appeal to me as someone who was never on board with it as the status quo in the first place, but especially not as someone who gave it a chance and thinks the whole thing was a half-assed waste of time.

The Terrigen Cloud dilemma will presumably be resolved, and I'll read IvX to see how that happens, but everything else just sounds like ANAD all over again -- reinvigorated racism toward mutants(!); Magneto leading an unlikely team while hiding things from them(!), only this time the telepath he has a tumultuous respect/distrust relationship with will be Young Jean instead of Betsy(!); a team that's mostly just the time-displaced O5 X-Men(!), who wore out their welcome long ago; and the Extraordinary X-Men(!) -- 'cause let's face it, the Gold team is just the Extraordinary X-Men, only the demonic girl with an attitude who grew up in an alternative timeline hell dimension has been swapped out for the cosmic girl with an attitude who grew up in alternate timeline's hellish future dystopia.

Oh, goody(!).

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Just the talk about art, the little note about Cyclops, and the teases about big things. In general I'm feeling pretty good about this comic.

Top Bottom