Rick & Morty (Season 4 starts November 2019)

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
For 2-3 days now figured that it was a dead give-away that Beth is NOT a clone, because Rick wouldn't have overlooked the mistake of making a Beth clone remember the conversation about going on self-explorative adventures and leaving the family behind with a clone. He would have created a clone without any memory of that conversation, thus covering that track.

...Yes, that would have been the smart thing to do because it would have prevented Beth's existential crisis. But then I listened to the "I Am Alive" remix and remembered that Rick didn't mind creating robot versions of his grandkids and then disregarding robot Morty's rise in self-preserving sentience.

If there's anything Rick does not care about, it's his power to create existential crises.
I think that's a big part of Rick's statement when he says,
"Nothing you think matters, matters." because I don't think that he ultimately really thinks that there's value in the difference. Like, for the thing with Beth, he feels like even just hearing that question makes you aware of the possibility. It's like knowing that you may or may not have free will, and having an existential crisis about it, but ultimately none of it matters.

I think that that's also a theme that's gonna be pulled at, because he DEFINITELY sees himself as somehow unique as, "The Rickest Rick" which is inherently a value over his sense of self and opposition to the Citadel, and even Eyepatch Morty worked to appeal to what made each of the Ricks and Mortys in the Citadel unique as a way to win over the votes.

I see it as an intentional introduction to that sort of concept on a low-key level so that they can absolutely SMASH it in an episode next season that's heavily focused on Rick – and likely when all of that comes to a head with the changes in the Citadel

X :neo:

I can hardly believe what the French did with Rick's wubba lubba dub dub (see 1:10 in this video). Out of all the languages in the video the French were the only ones to stray so far away from the original! The catchphrase that immediately follows was also quite different in French.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

I don't think I've ever heard anyone hit on WHY the show is so well received before this, but god DAMN this nails it right on the head.

I'm all for more R&M. Does anyone else get the vibe that the zeitgeist has moved on though? This question could apply to many franchises, of course.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I think that Rick & Morty remaining relevant will all be about what things the show focuses on. I think that it'll likely wax and wane as seasons come and go, and especially when any given season hits "THAT" episode, which usually tackles some darker emotional issue more head-on than a lot of other shows do, simply because the premise allows it to basically explore any concept that it's even remotely interested in.

Top Bottom