Rufus' Character Fits With the Deconstructive Nature Of Final Fantasy 7

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
It makes me wonder if Sephiroth wasn't the main bad guy of the game that it would be interesting how Rufus would carrying himself as a big villain. It would be fun if Rufus was a thinker like Xanatos from Gargoyles and he always has a back up plan that thumps the heroes.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Cool idea. I imagine that there would be some non-Sephiroth SOLDIERs as bosses, perhaps similar to the Judges in FFXII. And there'd be a lot more Turks!! :D :D :D

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cool idea. I imagine that there would be some non-Sephiroth SOLDIERs as bosses, perhaps similar to the Judges in FFXII. And there'd be a lot more Turks!! :D:D:D

I can imagine that as well. Maybe Jenova could factor into the story still like maybe Rufus would want to do further research into what makes her click.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Jenova has an intelligence and will of its own. It's driven by a desire to infect and destroy lifeforms until it annihilates an entire planet's population. We see a glimpse of it's intelligence and will when it speaks it's one line to Cloud.

When it is discovered in FFVII it's been rendered dormant thanks to the previous defeat it suffered at the hands of the Cetra. But it is very much alive.

When Sephiroth discovers the origins of his birth, he goes mad and part of that madness were the desires and destructive instincts of Jenova being awakened within him. His hatred for all humanity and those around him led him to embrace these dark urges; in a metaphorical and literal sense, he inherited the calling of his "Mother."

In terms of who's intelligence and will is in control, it's Sephiroth's. He has full control and mastery of Jenova and it's cells. He makes slaves of the Sephiroth Copies through his mind control and makes Jenova obey his commands. But deep down, his antipathy for humans and disregard for all life comes from his connection to Jenova.

It's sorta like how in FFXV
Ardyn is the source and controller of the Starscourge. He bends it to his will, utilizes it's power and makes monsters of men all in the explicit purpose of getting revenge on the Luccian line.

... But the reason he's so cruel and sadistic is because thanks to the Starscourge a part of his mind has been corrupted thanks to absorbing so much information and the memories of others. The very real betrayal he experienced from his brother and Bahamut created the rage that drives him but the darkness he controls has now tainted and become his inherited instinct.

Jenova has its own desire to deceive and destroy. Like a predator.

Sephiroth is now in control and is in a sense the successor of Jenova.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
@Makoeyes987
Wasn't it you who pointed out that a lot of the Northern Crater monsters are daemons in XV?

Yup :mon:

There are a lot of paralells and nods to Jenova and Geostigma in regards to FFXV's Starscourge. The writers clearly felt inspired and wanted to make a nod to the concept from FFVII. So it's interesting to see those same concepts played out in a different setting from FFVII. A game more recent, no less.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
I got the impression, but it might be wrong, that all her cells are equally conscious, that each cell retains the will of the collective. She's not an organism in the way that humans are, but more like an organisation, like an anthill with no queen.

So a cellular version of The Borg then. Much less scary though.

So Jazz, are you thinking Sephiroth isn't there at all, or is still there but just not as big a threat?

Given that Sephiroth isn't really there for most of the game, it would be quite easy to just switch him with Jenova without changing much about the plot.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
We just cut out Cloud's entire character arc and presto! You don't need Sephiroth anymore.

Making Rufus the focus villain would change things. I also think that Rufus could try to harness Jenova just like his daddy did. Maybe he thinks he could use it to reign over the world.

Yeah, without Sephiroth, Tifa and Cloud's character arcs would have to be changed. It probably would be a different game.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Re those quotes, they seem to be just referring to the military parades, bringing that many troops through Junon will boost the economy because they all go shopping when off duty.

My read on it was that "the Rufus Effect" was a reference to the new President in town, not Junon specifically.

We just cut out Cloud's entire character arc and presto! You don't need Sephiroth anymore.

Oh come now, there's still the initial arc of him being a moody merc, then opening up and embracing friendship/caring about the Planet. That has everything to do with the other characters and very little to do with the villain.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum

It's not sephiroth for most of the game though is it? So you could easily keep him as an apparent villain, whilst having Jenova be the one pulling the strings.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's functionally Sephiroth.

It's Sephiroth's shape, voice, appearance and will. Only when Sephiroth chooses to detach a piece of his "Mother" and throw it at Cloud does Jenova get to act independently and go wild.

Jenova was his conduit to act on the surface while he regenerated in the Northern Crater.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It's functionally Sephiroth.

It's Sephiroth's shape, voice, appearance and will. Only when Sephiroth chooses to detach a piece of his "Mother" and throw it at Cloud does Jenova get to act independently and go wild.

Jenova was his conduit to act on the surface while he regenerated in the Northern Crater.
This brings up the one line I am most interested in seeing the handling of in the remake: "Beacause, you are......a puppet."

The line is attributed to Jenova, of course, but it's finishing Sephiroth's sentence he had been speaking before the Jenova-LIFE boss battle, when this piece of the creature had been, as you said, serving as his conduit -- in his form, with his voice, and under his control.

Will this line then be presented as Jenova speaking in its own voice with its own will? Or is it just going to be Sephiroth's voice?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I personally thought it was Jenova speaking, especially considering its Jenova LIFE's dying words.

The moment serves as the first real clue of the true nature of the Sephiroth you've been chasing throughout disc 1.

Sephiroth starts the sentence and then Jenova finishes it upon its death. That's a pretty big storyline clue as to the nature of Jenova.

Jenova is most certainly going to have to have a voice in the game. It'll have some sort of vocalization as a creature.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I personally thought it was Jenova speaking, especially considering its Jenova LIFE's dying words.

The moment serves as the first real clue of the true nature of the Sephiroth you've been chasing throughout disc 1.

Sephiroth starts the sentence and then Jenova finishes it upon its death. That's a pretty big storyline clue as to the nature of Jenova.

Jenova is most certainly going to have to have a voice in the game. It'll have some sort of vocalization as a creature.

I want to hear who they could cast as Jenova.

Top Bottom