• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Ryvius' Art [Space Omelette]

That was absolutely lovely. I'm not an expert on singing but I think you really channeled the emotions of each song most excellently. I felt the sadness in "Drunk Again" and I felt the melancholy-defying-power in "Walkin' After Midnight". I'm especially pulled in by the sheer power in your voice when you sing the latter. Thoroughly impressed.

And yes you are right to feel cute because that is very much what you are :properhug:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
That was absolutely lovely. I'm not an expert on singing but I think you really channeled the emotions of each song most excellently. I felt the sadness in "Drunk Again" and I felt the melancholy-defying-power in "Walkin' After Midnight". I'm especially pulled in by the sheer power in your voice when you sing the latter. Thoroughly impressed.

And yes you are right to feel cute because that is very much what you are :properhug:

Thank you Shads! The reason why the latter was more powerful was because it was in my "tessitura." It's an alto/contralto song and sits perfectly in my range, whereas the former was originally sung by a man (who really has an incredible voice tbh) so there are some notes that I can only hit as a whisper. My best takes on that one were also messed up by my computer, so I may re-record that one in the future. I would like to improve my range for those lower notes as well as higher ones. When I sing soprano (the most common female voice) my voice sounds rather thin and strained.

When I was in middle school, life was really hard and singing was my only salvation. Sometimes I forget that I'm still the same person and that the healing power of singing is still a thing.

Overall I'm happy to be doing this again and I'm glad you liked it! And thank you for your compliment on my apparent cuteness. :P

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I'm actually kind of curious; does my voice sound different than folks are imagining, or do people not put voices to members until they hear it? I have a voice in my head for certain members, but not all of them for some reason.

Always weird to remember that people here have voices. Nice work, like Shad says, you were performing as well as singing and that added to the experience. Hitting the emotion as well as the note.

Thank you!

Same as I find it difficult to visualize any physical thing I am also limited in my auditory imagery. However, based on your many intellectual and reflective posts @Ryvius I did imagine that you have a clean, cool voice and that you emphasize clear pronunciation in speech. The type of voice that'd be great for a TED talk, a podcast or just for engaging conversation. My impression from the singing video is that my prediction was in the right direction. :monster:
You have a nice voice ^_^

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
I imagined you as a contractor for what its worth :monster:

Edit: Contralto, gfdi autocorrect I knew what I meant...

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I got back into singing somewhat recently (god damn, I forgot how therapeutic it was) and decided to finally record.
And I was pleasantly surprised to hear the outcome! Especially because singing is something that I'd love to be able to do better for several reasons but never really made it my priority. So kudos for bringing your passion to life, absolutely worth it ^_^ Your take on "Walking After Midnight" is actually so good I could imagine putting it in my summer playlists if it was available for streaming.

And it's irrelevant, but your sidecut looks absolutely amazing in real life.

I'm actually kind of curious; does my voice sound different than folks are imagining, or do people not put voices to members until they hear it? I have a voice in my head for certain members, but not all of them for some reason.
Funny as it might seem, I never imagine voices, and I hardly ever imagine faces as well. Partly because I'm positive that people will definitely look different from what I may imagine, partly because I tend to associate members with their profile pictures (like I guess most people do) and just create a data cloud for each person in my mind, however abstract that would be.

BlueCollarNerd

Pro Adventurer
Bravo ryvius, well done. Im glad i decided to check out your art thread.

Im definitely starting to get voices for certain members. Its kind of an odd thing. But after seeing a few faces in the picture thread and having multiple conversations i start to hear it. They way people wright their posts definitely is a key factor as well.

Anyways not to derail this thread. Great job ryvius keep it up. Music is a great release, you inspired me to pick up my guitar again.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I tend to distinguish singing voices from speaking voices, but having kept myself faceless and voiceless I don't feel comfortable having opinions about those of others.

The "gory" face mask has an appropriately shocking effect and would probably be shocking even without the context of the pandemic. It makes me think about the many hospital personnel who have fallen while combating the pandemic. My free-roaming mind is also reminded of the unfortunate truth that anti-maskers will not see the noble sacrifice, but instead view masks as this disgusting thing that they refuse to put on. The same object viewed through vastly different lenses, with the former saving lives and the latter perspective leading to the destruction of lives.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Ryvius, you keep nailing it! I think you managed to obtain this particular colour in your voice that a lot of Japanese singers have. Out of curiosity, I wonder if you're singing with a complete understanding of the lyrics, or are you just familiar with the phonetics? I remember some of my friends singing along nostalgically to some old Japanese rock songs at a party, and when I asked in astonishment if they spoke Japanese, they laughed and explained that they had simply memorized the sounds due to long years of listening.

Also, I happened to look at Shademp's comment before I opened the attachment, and I somehow expected to see you with an actual carnival or alien mask covering all your face. Then I was caught by surprise :mon: What are you going to do with the mask?

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
The "gory" face mask has an appropriately shocking effect and would probably be shocking even without the context of the pandemic. It makes me think about the many hospital personnel who have fallen while combating the pandemic. My free-roaming mind is also reminded of the unfortunate truth that anti-maskers will not see the noble sacrifice, but instead view masks as this disgusting thing that they refuse to put on. The same object viewed through vastly different lenses, with the former saving lives and the latter perspective leading to the destruction of lives.

I wasn’t thinking of gore, I was actually just using it as a pallet for the piece I’m working on since I couldn’t find my pallet. :P But since you mention it, it does totally look gory. That’s what I love about abstract art. The point is for the viewer to project their own meaning onto it and ideally inspire introspection. My thoughts were more along the line of making the best (art, resourcefulness) of a bad situation (pandemic, pollution).

Ryvius, you keep nailing it! I think you managed to obtain this particular colour in your voice that a lot of Japanese singers have. Out of curiosity, I wonder if you're singing with a complete understanding of the lyrics, or are you just familiar with the phonetics? I remember some of my friends singing along nostalgically to some old Japanese rock songs at a party, and when I asked in astonishment if they spoke Japanese, they laughed and explained that they had simply memorized the sounds due to long years of listening.

Also, I happened to look at Shademp's comment before I opened the attachment, and I somehow expected to see you with an actual carnival or alien mask covering all your face. Then I was caught by surprise :mon: What are you going to do with the mask?

Thanks Torrie! It’s just phonetic. There are some noticeable screwups that I’m a little embarrassed of that a Japanese speaker would definitely notice, but I sang it so many times that day and knew that I wasn’t going to get it perfect unless I continued the next day since my voice was running out of juice. So it was a bit rushed and I kinda wanna redo. I also feel like I probably overdid it with the outfit. But I really do like this song since Junko Ohashi has the same tessitura, so it comes natural, it’s just in another language.

I will probably continue to use the mask as a pallet, and will probably display it eventually. Perhaps hang it off my rear view mirror like many people do with the masks they actually use.

Not my cup of tea but you sounded great. New mic?

Thanks! I did get a new mic. Are you not into slow tempo or is it just that it’s non English?

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
The vibrato might be a tad too strong in select places, but the general presence of vibrato throughout the song definitely gives your voice a really pleasing timbre and rich sound, especially when the melody is at its most bold moments. 1:30 to 2:30 is particularly spot-on. Would love to hear you sing more! The Walkin’ on the Highway cover is similarly spot-on. You’ve got a fantastic voice.

BlueCollarNerd

Pro Adventurer
Are you not into slow tempo or is it just that it’s non English?

I listened two more times. I think the reason i didnt enjoy it the first time was a combination of it not being in english, and your vocals being louder than the track in parts. I couldnt get a feel of the mood the song was trying to portray. You seemed not as comfortable/familiar with either the lyrics or the timing to me. I couldnt tell by listening, but watching you i could see something.

Anyways you sounded great and i did enjoy listening to YOU, not so much the song though. Sometime im kind of blunt. I mean no disrespect but do believe people should speak their mind. I find people tend to be to soft these days.

I always found it harder to sing/play sitting down, or maybe im just more comfortable standing as its easier to sway/wander around. You ever notice a difference?

Top Bottom