SE cancels several in-development games

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110058-CEO-Square-Enix-Has-Become-Weaker-Than-Expected

Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada explains why the company lost so much money last year and how it hopes to recover in the future.

Square Enix recently published a revised financial forecast where the company projected a loss of around ¥12 billion ($148 million) for the financial year ending on March 31, 2011. Not good. CEO Yoichi Wada explains that the company's methods had unexpectedly become weak, and may take a year or two to bring back up to speed.

Speaking at an investor's briefing (via Andriasang), Wada admitted: "Our game development has become weaker than expected. Revamping it will take one or two years."

¥4.5 billion of the losses were partially related to the development of Final Fantasy XIV, which received such a poor response that Square Enix still still isn't charging a monthly fee for it more than 6 months after release, and the cancellation of multiple titles. Wada revealed that Square Enix suffered from poor internal communication between project leads and subordinates, in addition to a work environment where employees weren't able to properly divide tasks amongst each other.

To bring the company back into profitability, Wada laid out a plan that includes the development of 5 brand new IPs. These IPs would join established franchises such as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, and Hitman. Two would come from Square Enix's Tokyo branch, one from Eidos Montreal, one from IO Interactive, and one from Square Enix's Wimbledon studio. Wada also hopes to expand Square Enix's presence in social networking and mobile markets, taking advantage of external developers with more experience in those realms, as opposed to current staff that's used to working on packaged products.

Development on the new brands could take 3 to 5 years, Wada predicts. Square Enix does have a strong lineup of titles announced for the near future, which include Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Hitman: Absolution, the Tomb Raider reboot, Dragon Quest X, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy Type-0, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and more. Perhaps these titles, combined with its brand new IPs, can help Square Enix make a recovery in the future.

I'm surprised by this:

Final Fantasy XIV, which received such a poor response that Square Enix still still isn't charging a monthly fee for it more than 6 months after release

6 months after release and they still aren't changing because it's still so bad? :huh: When are they just going to admit it failed and kill it?

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Wada revealed that Square Enix suffered from poor internal communication between project leads and subordinates, in addition to a work environment where employees weren't able to properly divide tasks amongst each other.
So, it's all the fault of the decoration of the working area? And a rearrangement will fix this? Who knew.

Final Fantasy XIV, which received such a poor response that Square Enix still still isn't charging a monthly fee for it more than 6 months after release
6 months after release and they still aren't changing because it's still so bad? :huh: When are they just going to admit it failed and kill it?
Ego.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Square Enix is only publishing the game, and I think helping out technology wise with some of the cutscenes.

I was under the impression that there was a specific Square Enix team working on the cinematics. :monster:

Colour me cautiously optimistic about this news, actually.
At the very least, they know there's stagnation and they're going out of their way to improve the issue, which is more than can be said for a lot of big-name publishers.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
It hasn't been canceled, the trademark was abandoned because Square-Enix didn't file an extension request.

It's never even been in development.

Last edited:
"To bring the company back into profitability, Wada laid out a plan that includes the development of 5 brand new IPs. These IPs would join established franchises such as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, and Hitman.
Development on the new brands could take 3 to 5 years, Wada predicts."

I get the impression that if FFVII is not part of this plan, we won't see any new FFVII titles for a looooong time.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
What's an IP?

Well, it says that the plan includes these new names. Not that it excludes the others.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Thanks.

Also, I don't think adding new brands is a bad thing. In fact, it'll be nice that they're putting out things other than the same old crap. Hasn't everyone been complaining about all the KH spinoffs that have been showing up? I mean, I'm not saying I don't want to see KH3 or FFVII or anything like that, but it's about time they're expanding their lineup a bit.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
The very fact that they're attempting to release new IP rather than rehashing 3-5 somethings for the purposes of a cash-in says volumes.

Lumina

a pokémon.
AKA
Bayleef, Jessica
They should cancel Versus already. Besides its kind of non-existent. Even XIII's sequel came before Versus. Just say it SE, fans are already angry at you anyway.

Scias

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Vega, Kyle Hyde
In any case, I seriously doubt Versus will be well-received by fans. Half a decade has passed since we got word about this game for the first time and there's still no word about a possible release date, not even for Japan. The unholy amounts of hype and waiting will NOT play in the game's favour. Even if it turns out to be SPECTACULAR, in the end many gamers can just simply say it wasn't worth the wait.

And, you know what? SE deserves it. Fuck that pretentious shit.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Maybe, it was a really long time before we got FF12.
It was first announced around the time ACF started getting attention and released just a few months before ACF's closure and imo FF12 was one of the best games SE has ever made, and was incredibly well received too.

It was a long wait, but well worth it.
Then again it wasnt made by fucktards.

Scias

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Vega, Kyle Hyde
Then again it wasnt made by fucktards.

You already said it all :bigawesomonster:

But also, each day that passes the videogame consumer grows more and more exigent, the standards are higher and higher. The developers in turn promise more and more AND MORE and they not always fulfill such promises. Things are kinda different now, not to mention that this is actually taking longer (and probably this game won't have the same quantity/quality of content that XII had, but that's impossible to know right now).

Will Versus live up the hype AND satisfy the picky masses? :awesome:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Question: Why hasn't Valkyrie Profile 2 been ported to PS3? Did it not do well or something?

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
You do realise that all the posts in this thread are almost four years old, right? Because a lot of the complaints people in this thread had with Square Enix at the time no longer apply. (Who am I kidding; of course you don't realise that).

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
You do realise that all the posts in this thread are almost four years old, right? Because a lot of the complaints people in this thread had with Square Enix at the time no longer apply. (Who am I kidding; of course you don't realise that).

D'OH

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Top Bottom