Shadow of the Colossus

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Re: [split] Shadow of the Colossus

I used a hawk to fly around all over the place.
Bastard tricked me and flew into a huge stone wall though. I fell down. Then I hurt myself.

='(

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

The 14th one was fun as well. :monster:

Also, I finished the game now. =P

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

I'm...not sure. :duhard:

It was rather good, though I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. What's up with Mono and the horned baby now?
And somebody should kill Agro now. :duhard:
Although I was sad when he fell. D=

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

The 16th is pretty epic and just, but had to look up what to do while on the back of its hand, :/. I watched a portion of the ending, but had to go so I'll re-do it later today.

I did notice that the most story's in the ending, :monster:. I explained my grievances with that earlier, but I'll repeat: The game starts off with no story whatsoever, so there's no real progress story-wise during the game.

And I only noticed yesterday that the main character gets dirty and whatnot, :monster:.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

Yeah, I also only noticed that after like the 12th or 13th colossus, that Wander's appearance changes. It's not just dirt though, odd markings appear and his hair gets darker etc.

Mono changes too, I think. Starts looking less dead and more healthy. :monster:

The 16th one...thought I had to shoot his forehead from the back of his hand. Should have aimed a little more to the right. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

Yeah, it seems very obvious in a lot of the Colossi that you have to hit 'em in the eyes, but turns out there's only one that conforms to that rule, :monster:.

Also, the characters have names?

Edit: Thar, finish'd :monster:. Epic game, well worth the (zomg) €15 I spent on it. Now I have to find a copy of Ico...

Read about some stuffs on the interwebz, lulzy that SotC is an 'unofficial'~ish prequel to Ico.

Personally, I find the game's technology the most impressive. HDR-like lighting techniques (where HDR is more of a next-gen console technology), dynamic animations, physics and highly advanced slash dynamic climbing system (beat that, Prince) (i.e. climb even when upside down and etc), giant environment without any loading times (except when 'teleporting'), and the largest animated 3D stuffs I've ever seen. In most games, large objects remain static, or have some low-quality movement or animated texture, but in SotC they made giant thingies react just like the real thing, :monster:.

And I'm also impressed by the relatively small size of the development team. There were like just five or six programmers, four or five modelers, a total of just thirty five. In fact, the QA team seemed larger than the development team, reading through the credits :monster:.

Most critics and I however have the same criticisms: Framedrops and annoying camera controls. I've even read a critic say that the camera was a challenge at least equal to that of the Colossi, :monster:. Next to that, there isn't much of a replay value, due to each Colossus having just one method of defeat, so that once you've beat it, it's easy to beat it again.

Finally, Team ICO (the developers) are currently working on a PS3 title, and were hiring people for that about a year ago. I'm fairly sure their next title will be announced either late this year or early next year, for a release within the next two years. Then again, (or so I read), Ico took four years to develop, so it might be a year more. SotC took three years (as do most games nowadays) though, so I'm guessing a similar figure for their next title.

I'm hoping they're going to lean to the epicness of SotC though.

firehahahahahaha

fire master

Shadow of the Colossus had quite the epic ending. But the game has tons of replay value. You can go up to the statues of each colossus after you've beaten it, and then press circle to go into time attack, you can beat the game like 4 times to have enough energy to access the secret garden, and then theres hard mode, and after that hard time attack:elmo:. Also, ICO uses the same lighting technices as Shadow, but the graphics aren't quite as impressive. Still a good game. Team ICO are some of the best developers out there.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

@ Yop: Frame rate drops what? How can you even tell? :/

And yes, the characters do have names. The main guy is Wander, the girl is Mono, the spirit is Dormin, and...I think the guy with the mask as a name too but I can't remember. :P

Oh and the horse is Agro. :monster:

@ Tet:

There are a lot of rumors that the horned baby is Wander himself. Perhaps an after effect of being posessed by a spirit/god and being killed? lol

And Mono woke up because, at the very least, Dormin was nice enough to bring her back to life after completely taking advantage of him. I just wish she had woken up sooner so as to see Wander. Poor thing must be so confused. :(

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

Tennyo said:
@ Yop: Frame rate drops what? How can you even tell? :/

Because I see the screen going from smooth to more like a slideshow? :monster:. Once you've tried to play games like Crysis and, more recently, GTA 4 (on PC), you'll know what framedrop is, :monster:.

Tennyo said:
There are a lot of rumors that the horned baby is Wander himself. Perhaps an after effect of being posessed by a spirit/god and being killed? lol
Actually, more like a re-incarnation / descendant:

Wikipedia said:
However, during an interview in March 2006, Ueda revealed that a specific connection between the two games exists: the world featured in the two is the same, with Shadow of the Colossus taking place at an unspecified time before Ico. He revealed that Wander sires the line of horned boys of which Ico's protagonist is a descendant.

fireolz said:
You can go up to the statues of each colossus after you've beaten it, and then press circle to go into time attack, you can beat the game like 4 times to have enough energy to access the secret garden, and then theres hard mode, and after that hard time attack:elmo:.

On that, what benefits do you get from finishing the time attacks slash the hard mode? Wait, lemme goan look it up, :monster:.

'kay, you get items and whatnot. Also, apparently you can get health / stamina upgrades by finding fruit and/or white tailed lizards. Awesome, now I have to play the game again, :monster:.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

Frame rate drops what? How can you even tell? :/

How can you not tell? :duhard:

Because I see the screen going from smooth to more like a slideshow?

^That. :duhard:

And yeah, found out about the fruits and the lizards myself actually. =D
And apparently, you can get to the secret garden even with not so much stamina through some special climbing technique, but there isn't much up there apart from more nice looking structures (and fruit that decrease your health).

The landscape in SotC was how I always wanted the new Zelda games to be like. Large, beautiful and seamless. Even in Twilight Princess, Hyrule still wasn't big enough imo =P

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

Yup, although I do think they could've added either more detail or 'large' stuff, such as giant walls and structures, footprints, statues, and small details which would only run properly on a next-gen console. Grass and such would be nice, larger forests, etcetera.

If they are working on a new game in roughly the same genre, I'm sure they can produce something awesome-looking, fgj.

firehahahahahaha

fire master

[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=202.msg7179#msg7179 date=1231611810]Awesome, now I have to play the game again, :monster: .
[/quote]and again and again and again...

SotC and ICO were both beyond fantastic, IMO; I don't know what I'm going to do with myself when there's actual news about Team ICO's next game - I kind of want to know as little about it as possible before I actually play it, but I don't think I could resist screenshots or a trailer.

The landscape in SotC was how I always wanted the new Zelda games to be like. Large, beautiful and seamless. Even in Twilight Princess, Hyrule still wasn't big enough imo =P

Yeah, plus, going back and controlling Epona feels really unnatural after getting used to controlling Agro in SotC . :/

kunoichi

dead

[quote author=HylianMogget link=topic=202.msg7250#msg7250 date=1231636882] SotC and ICO were both beyond fantastic, IMO; I don't know what I'm going to do with myself when there's actual news about Team ICO's next game - I kind of want to know as little about it as possible before I actually play it, but I don't think I could resist screenshots or a trailer. [/quote]
I agree with you with all that. I have a habit of spoiling it for myself by finding screen shots and stuff, so this time I'll be good and wait

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

I actually was completely and utterly unspoilt with SotC, I only knew that you had to fight enormous thingies and that was about it. Same with most FF games (even XII), but that was mainly because I cba keeping up with most game news slash I don't care, :monster:.

Currently doing the time trial thingies, going good so far. Some go down in like half the alotted time, :monster:. Although I'm curious as to what purpose it has really - I mean, you get an arrow that distracts Colossi, but most Colossuses require them to actually see slash chase you in order to beat them. Same with the cloaking thingy (you get later), I mean, :/?

Off course, I don't know what the exact changes are in Hard mode. Anyone happen to know that?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

I attempted to do one colossus on Hard mode and all it was was an extra spot that you had to stab. Mind you it was only the first one that I tried.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura

I'm sitting here right now ordering this, because of this thread (and its apparently being awesome) :monster:

As far as what the game's about, I know you kill big monsters and have a horse and there's some woman, but that's it. And that's how I'll keep it :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

That's all you need to know. The game is awesome enough with or without plot. :monster:

firehahahahahaha

fire master

The added weapons after beating the game are pretty pointless, but it's always fun to shoot agro with exploding arrows :D. as for hard mode, they add week spots, it takes more hits to kill them, they deal more damage, and some react differently, etc.

Yeah, at first I thought the extra weapons and items would make it easier to defeat the rest of the colossi in time attack... then I found out that they can't actually be used in time attack :monster: . They're still fun, though.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer

I liked grabbing onto birds and flying around.

The whole game from the landscape to the truly epic music score to the colossi designs is absolutely perfect. The game is a masterpiece.

Then I lost my copy.

/pity

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura

What's the average length to finish the game normally, putting aside extra stuff like time trials?

Only I have the game now, but also a bunch of other games that are no doubt going to be long, so I was wondering if this one would be sort of like MGS and short enough to fit inbetween them without taking ages (and I usually take ages on things anyway :monster: ).

Top Bottom